AVS Forum banner

New to AVS-Please help me chose a receiver

651 views 12 replies 8 participants last post by  tk123 
#1 ·
Hi everyone new to this form look for info
Looking to update my receiver just finished
My new theater room and looking for something that will
Be great for movies I currently have a Nakamichi AV 500 Cerwin Vega LS 10 and ve_5c center Channel Yamaha 80 watt powered sub and Sony rear channels will be upgrading speakers later but currently in the market for a receiver. room is medium-to-large with Stadium Lounge seating pretty much a rectangle room with drop ceiling looking for suggestions for top of the line receiver any help would be appreciated

#2 ·
Reactions: Knucklehead90
#4 ·
What is the '5000'? Budget? If you're looking to spend $5000 on an AVR IMO thats a bad idea. You'll still have the same speakers and sub - not much change in audio quality doing that. Electronics have the least impact on sound quality - speakers is where the real changes come from. And that little Yamaha sub? Eh. I'll leave that alone!

What does the .4 mean?
Atmos?
Four subs?

At the very least put some of your money into a real sub. And two subs are better than one. Get a matching pair if you have the space.

If you have a working receiver get a decent sub first. HSU - SVS - Epic - they all make some very good subs. If you have never experienced a real good sub you have no idea what you're missing.

Reactions: Fattykidd
#5 ·
5000 is for the receiver I plan on getting speakers later down the line my receiver is so old does not have HDMI or any digital ports and it has the original 5.1 rca plug surround sound I realize that speakers are everything but I gotta start somewhere and will start with the receiver

#6 ·
Really $5000 for a receiver? If your budget is that high, have you considered separates, i.e. a processor and a multi-channel amp? If you are looking for everything in one box and don't want to mess with separates, Anthem, Marantz and Denon make some pretty strong AVRs for well under your price point.

Reactions: uniquepattern
#8 ·
receivers

looking at these receivers to upgrade my old one. can anyone give info good, bad ,experience with unit
Yamaha Rx-A3060
Yamaha's RX-A3060
Marantz SR7011
Cambridge CXR200
Anthem MXR 720
Yamaha's RX-A3060
Yamaha's RX-A3060
Yamaha's RX-A3060

#13 ·
You need to decide how many speakers you want to run in the future.
Go separates all the way ! You’ll still have money left over from your $5000.
How big is your room ? Have you considered building your own speakers ?
We need so much more info in order to help you.
I think you need to just spend a while reading this forum and the speakers ( both store bought and DIY ) forums and get some idea of what you can do with $5000😳

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.