In need of some guidance with my first receiver - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 9 Old 03-01-2017, 08:40 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 10
In need of some guidance with my first receiver

Im looking to buy my first receiver and need a little advice. I started a thread in the general home theater and media room area and the general consensus sees to be that I should be looking into a 3.1 system. Link to thread. I need some guidance on a first time HT audio purchase.
So Im starting to research receivers and speakers and Im liking what Ive read on the denon AVR-X3300W but I dont know if something like this will be overkill in a 3.1 setup. There is a possibility I will add some surround speakers in the future but I dont think I will ever go past a 5.2 setup. Should I be looking at something else? Speaker wise Im thinking some klipsch reference towers center channel and sub then down the road if I decide to a couple ceiling speakers for the surround. Im actually wanting to get the receiver asap because Im going to use it as my hdmi switch. Thanks for any help you can offer.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 Old 03-01-2017, 08:56 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 386 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 15354 Post(s)
Liked: 7508
Although the X3300W (7.1) does indeed offer the best version of Audyssey MultEQ XT32 to improve speaker/sub audio quality, whether you need to go that high will depend on your budget and other feature/input/output requirements. You can review the first few posts in the 2016 Denon AVR Owner's thread linked in my sig for information on the features provided on each of the current Denon models. Klipsch speakers are very efficient, so you may also want to consider the Marantz NR1506 (5.1) as well.
post #3 of 9 Old 03-01-2017, 10:30 AM - Thread Starter

I dont mind spending more for the denon I just dont understand enough about the receivers to know if the increase in sound quality will be noticeable in a 3.1 setup. If I take the denon and the Marantz NR1506 and hooked them both up in a 3.1 setup would the denon sound better? With my limited knowledge of how Audyssey works does it even make a difference in 3.1?

Also a off topic question is there a way to search the forum for "3.1 receiver" it wants to search for 3, 1, & receiver.

post #4 of 9 Old 03-01-2017, 10:49 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 561 Post(s)
Liked: 387
The ugly truth is that spending more money on a receiver will have far less effect on sound quality as putting that extra money into better speakers. With receivers, more money buys you more features. Some of those you will need and some you may never use. Buy what you need or may need in the future. If you are a Costco member, consider the Yamaha TSR-7810 (same receiver as Yamaha RX-V781) which should compare favorably with the Denon for under $500. If not a member you can join and it is still a bargain as they give you an extra year on the warranty.
post #5 of 9 Old 03-01-2017, 11:45 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 710 Post(s)
Liked: 529
Quote:
Originally Posted by Muell67 View Post
I dont mind spending more for the denon I just dont understand enough about the receivers to know if the increase in sound quality will be noticeable in a 3.1 setup. If I take the denon and the Marantz NR1506 and hooked them both up in a 3.1 setup would the denon sound better? With my limited knowledge of how Audyssey works does it even make a difference in 3.1?

Also a off topic question is there a way to search the forum for "3.1 receiver" it wants to search for 3, 1, & receiver.
I doubt that the forum search engine permits a search for a "3.1 receiver". A correction from a moderator would be welcome.

I also doubt that a literal 3.1 receiver exists.

If your AV system is intended for movies, I recommend a center speaker. A lot of the dialog will play through the center. A subwoofer is good for effects.

I agree with the sentiment that speakers are much more important than electronics, but I'm not able to provide facts to support that.

I'm not an experienced home theater person, so it's risky for me to make a recommendation. However, I have some stuff from Hsu Research, which is an online-only company. Two HB-1 Mk 2 bookshelf speakers, an HC-1 Mk 2 center, and a VTF-1 Mk 3 sub list for less than $1000 total. (You'd also have to pay for shipping, maybe $100 or more. Heavy stuff.) You also may want to buy stands for the HB-1s. They aren't really "bookshelf" speakers, as they have rear bass ports, and have to be set at least a few inches away from a wall. The HC-1 is 8" tall, so that would be a consideration in placing it.) I'm satisfied with my Yamaha TSR-5810 (= RX-V581) receiver, which Costco sells for $390.

There may be better choices, but I'm confident that you should be able to put together a very respectable 3.1 system for significantly less than $2k.
post #6 of 9 Old 03-01-2017, 11:55 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobknavs View Post
I doubt that the forum search engine permits a search for a "3.1 receiver". A correction from a moderator would be welcome.

I also doubt that a literal 3.1 receiver exists.

If your AV system is intended for movies, I recommend a center speaker. A lot of the dialog will play through the center. A subwoofer is good for effects.

I agree with the sentiment that speakers are much more important than electronics, but I'm not able to provide facts to support that.

I'm not an experienced home theater person, so it's risky for me to make a recommendation. However, I have some stuff from Hsu Research, which is an online-only company. Two HB-1 Mk 2 bookshelf speakers, an HC-1 Mk 2 center, and a VTF-1 Mk 3 sub list for less than $1000 total. (You'd also have to pay for shipping, maybe $100 or more. Heavy stuff.) You also may want to buy stands for the HB-1s. They aren't really "bookshelf" speakers, as they have rear bass ports, and have to be set at least a few inches away from a wall. The HC-1 is 8" tall, so that would be a consideration in placing it.) I'm satisfied with my Yamaha TSR-5810 (= RX-V581) receiver, which Costco sells for $390.

There may be better choices, but I'm confident that you should be able to put together a very respectable 3.1 system for significantly less than $2k.
I wasn't hoping to find a literal 3.1 receiver I just thought it might be a good search to find people trying to do a similar setup to me.
I like the TSR-5810 Im just slightly concerned with the lack of HDCP 2.2 inputs. I think this might be an issue for me in the future. Im also looking at the Denon AVR-X2300W it has 8 hdcp 2.2 but it doesnt have the multi channel pre amp like the tsr-5810. I dont know how much of a difference that will really make in my situation.
post #7 of 9 Old 03-01-2017, 12:13 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 710 Post(s)
Liked: 529
Quote:
Originally Posted by Muell67 View Post
I wasn't hoping to find a literal 3.1 receiver I just thought it might be a good search to find people trying to do a similar setup to me.
I like the TSR-5810 Im just slightly concerned with the lack of HDCP 2.2 inputs. I think this might be an issue for me in the future. Im also looking at the Denon AVR-X2300W it has 8 hdcp 2.2 but it doesnt have the multi channel pre amp like the tsr-5810. I dont know how much of a difference that will really make in my situation.
All four inputs on the 5810 support HDCP 2.2. If you need more than four, the 7810 has six. Do you think you'd ever use the analog pre-outs of the 7810?

If you need 8 HDMI inputs, the Denon AVR-X2300W looks like a good choice. I haven't done business with this site, but if you're prepared to consider a factory refurb,

http://www.accessories4less.com/make...BUNBoCIqPw_wcB

(You can search for threads on acccessories4less. Many like them, some hate them.)
post #8 of 9 Old 03-01-2017, 12:23 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked: 18
I absolutely love my Pioneer Elite VSX-45. It's only 5.2, but has HDMI 2.0 and HDCP 2.2, which was important to me as I have a 4k tv and just recently got a the Sony X800 Ultra HD player. I didn't want to have to run 2 cables.

Looks like you can get a refurb from the same site mentioned above for $229. Great deal in my opinion!
post #9 of 9 Old 03-01-2017, 02:36 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 174 Post(s)
Liked: 80
+1 on the sentiment to put more in speakers.

If your budget is tight and you have time, you might consider buying used. You don't get the latest and greatest tech, but you can often get components for 10-20% of the original cost, components that you may have considered out of reach. Check out the used listings here and also places like Audiogon.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page