Denon and Marantz and Boston Acoustics (D+M Group) Acquired by Sound United - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 58Likes
post #1 of 67 Old 03-01-2017, 06:34 PM - Thread Starter
Assoc. Editor @ AVS Forum

Mentioned: 166 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5027 Post(s)
Liked: 8480
Denon and Marantz and Boston Acoustics (D+M Group) Acquired by Sound United

Say hello to AV powerhouse Sound United, which now owns Polk, Definitive Technology, Boston Acoustics, Denon, and Marantz.

Mark Henninger
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 67 Old 03-01-2017, 06:40 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 37 Post(s)
Liked: 81
Quote:
Originally Posted by imagic View Post
Say hello to AV powerhouse Sound United, which now owns Polk, Definitive Technology, Boston Acoustics, Denon, and Marantz.
Should we be happy about this? I don't think so. Less choices for consumers equal more power and profit for corporations. I've witnessed America's consumer leverage over the features of the products we buy dwindle, in part, because of less competition in the marketplace.
post #3 of 67 Old 03-01-2017, 06:46 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by john barlow View Post
Should we be happy about this? I don't think so. Less choices for consumers equal more power and profit for corporations. I've witnessed America's consumer leverage over the features of the products we buy dwindle, in part, because of less competition in the marketplace.
I don't see how Denon or Marantz compete with Polk or Definitive Technology. They seem complementary, the consolidations withing product categories (Denon + Marantz, Polk + DefTech) had already occurred.

Also, it can be helpful to consolidate R&D facilities as well as cross-pollinate engineering knowledge between brands. Speaking of consolidation, I'm curious about what happens to HEOS versus DTS Play-Fi. That's one area where there's overlap between capabilities of D+M Group products and Polk/DefTech products.
goksucats likes this.

Mark Henninger

Last edited by imagic; 03-01-2017 at 06:53 PM.

post #4 of 67 Old 03-01-2017, 06:59 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 329 Post(s)
Liked: 230
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by john barlow View Post

Last I heard Bain Capital owned D+M. They own dozens of other companies like Toys-R-Us, and one that brings Indian IT people to the U.S. on worker visas as direct replacements for U.S. citizens, so I'm not unhappy to see them go. It's purely the bottom line with Bain, which made it odd that they purchased D+M to start with, since it been a drain on them.

If B+M is now owned by a company that is actually interested in the AV business that's good start. How it will work out is an open question. The other companies listed in the first post seem to have a U.S. face, but little real presence as far a operations. Hopefully Sound United has the financial backing if they do decide to do something positive with D+M.
post #5 of 67 Old 03-01-2017, 07:09 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 1591 Post(s)
Liked: 1275
Shouldn't they just end the charade and merge D&M brands and products like AVRs which are virtually identical?

I don't see how maintaining separate marketing (in supposed competition with one another) budgets as well as inventory, R&D, QA, warranty, support, and so on make good financial sense. Of course merging companies usually ends up in people losing their jobs so maybe it's a good thing they don't do that. Then again, if they hemorrhage cash by having their left hand attack their right hand then maybe that's not so smart for anyone.

Having a false choice of Denon vs Marantz is pretty much the same as having no choice at all.
HK1Fan and LarryMagoo like this.
post #6 of 67 Old 03-01-2017, 07:27 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 136 Post(s)
Liked: 46
yamaha and klipsch are my go to brands
post #7 of 67 Old 03-01-2017, 07:28 PM

Quoted: 41 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Denon and Marantz do have a different sound though. I prefer the Marantz sound over the Denon. I don't know what they do to make them sound a little different, but they do.
post #8 of 67 Old 03-01-2017, 07:38 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 904 Post(s)
Liked: 611
Quote:
Originally Posted by RLBURNSIDE View Post
Shouldn't they just end the charade and merge D&M brands and products like AVRs which are virtually identical?

I don't see how maintaining separate marketing (in supposed competition with one another) budgets as well as inventory, R&D, QA, warranty, support, and so on make good financial sense. Of course merging companies usually ends up in people losing their jobs so maybe it's a good thing they don't do that. Then again, if they hemorrhage cash by having their left hand attack their right hand then maybe that's not so smart for anyone.

Having a false choice of Denon vs Marantz is pretty much the same as having no choice at all.
There's probably enough brand loyalty for both brands right now to have it make sense, and there also may be issues with dealer agreements with various brands. That's the big reason GM continues to make the GMC brand despite pretty much every vehicle just being a Chevrolet with a few cosmetic tweaks.

Plus, if you give a customer the choice between Denon, Marantz, Onkyo, Yamaha, and Pioneer you have a greater chance of earning their business with two brands than with one.
post #9 of 67 Old 03-01-2017, 08:44 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 1086 Post(s)
Liked: 521
Quote:
Originally Posted by smfins View Post
Denon and Marantz do have a different sound though. I prefer the Marantz sound over the Denon. I don't know what they do to make them sound a little different, but they do.
+1
A bigger company may mean cheaper volume pricing for parts like DACs ..
But we may find more unified platform ala VW car chassis.. pros and cons in that..
post #10 of 67 Old 03-01-2017, 09:41 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 289 Post(s)
Liked: 625
Quote:
Originally Posted by RLBURNSIDE View Post

The Marantz line of AVRs use HDAM circuits over ICs which Marantz developed before their merger with Denon. Marantz products are voiced differently than their Denon counterparts. Their stuff is very similar but are not exact copies of one another.

Marantz also has its own unique character and product mix that is very much maintained separately from Denon with its 2-channel
Lineup. There are no Denon analogues for the Marantz Reference Series and hi-fi components (integrated amps, SACD players, network streamers/ DACs).

desktop Sonus faber Toy monitor| REL T Zero| Sony UDA1|Sony MDR-Z7|Sony MDR-1000X|Audioquest NightHawk|Audioquest DragonFly Red
surround Monitor Audio Silver RX6, RX Centre, RX1|SVS SB-2000|Sony STR-ZA5000ES|Panasonic 60ZT60|Oppo 103D|Sonos Connect + Peachtree Audio DAC•iT
stereo Sonus faber Toy tower|REL S/5|Teac UD-501|Sony TA-A1ES|Sony SCD-777ES|Sony ST-SA50ES|Sony UBP-X800|Sonos Connect|Furman Elite-15 PFi|Sony 43X800D
post #11 of 67 Old 03-01-2017, 10:30 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by fatuglyguy View Post
There are no Denon analogues for the Marantz Reference Series and hi-fi components (integrated amps, SACD players, network streamers/ DACs).
That was news to me.... See links below:

http://www.denon.jp/jp/product/hific.../sacdcdplayers

http://www.denon.jp/jp/product/hific...nts/amplifiers

http://www.denon.jp/jp/product/hific...rkaudioplayers

Btw I have tried/borrowed a DCD-SX1 (http://www.denon.jp/jp/product/hific...players/dcdsx1) about 6 months ago, lovely sound

Deck
Squirrel! and Madmax67 like this.

Oppo BDP-95EU, BDP-105D (CFW), UDP-203, Denon DVD-A1UD, Pioneer HLD-X9, CLD-D925
Dune HD SOLO 4K, Med800x3d, PCH-410A
Denon-AVPA1HD3D & POA-A1HD, Pioneer KRP-500A,
Synology 1815+ x 2 (72TB), Synology 1813+ x 2 (48TB)
CAT6A cabled network

Last edited by deckarep; 03-01-2017 at 10:36 PM.
post #12 of 67 Old 03-01-2017, 11:03 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 1366 Post(s)
Liked: 1026
Quote:

Existing thread: Sound United acquires D+M Group
snpanago likes this.
post #13 of 67 Old 03-01-2017, 11:14 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 289 Post(s)
Liked: 625
Quote:
Originally Posted by deckarep View Post

Point taken; I should have qualified that this is in the United States. Most users on AVS are US-based, and Denon has virtually no 2-channel offerings here aside from a Heos amp and desktop USB amplifier. That being said, yes, I am aware that Denon offers stereo-centric products outside the US.

desktop Sonus faber Toy monitor| REL T Zero| Sony UDA1|Sony MDR-Z7|Sony MDR-1000X|Audioquest NightHawk|Audioquest DragonFly Red
surround Monitor Audio Silver RX6, RX Centre, RX1|SVS SB-2000|Sony STR-ZA5000ES|Panasonic 60ZT60|Oppo 103D|Sonos Connect + Peachtree Audio DAC•iT
stereo Sonus faber Toy tower|REL S/5|Teac UD-501|Sony TA-A1ES|Sony SCD-777ES|Sony ST-SA50ES|Sony UBP-X800|Sonos Connect|Furman Elite-15 PFi|Sony 43X800D

Last edited by fatuglyguy; 03-01-2017 at 11:19 PM.
post #14 of 67 Old 03-02-2017, 01:14 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 545 Post(s)
Liked: 552
Quote:
Originally Posted by TuteTibiImperes View Post
and there also may be issues with dealer agreements with various brands. That's the big reason GM continues to make the GMC brand despite pretty much every vehicle just being a Chevrolet with a few cosmetic tweaks.
Nope. It's because GM wanted the same more profitable truck/sport utility line on the same lots as their less profitable car lines like Buick, Oldsmobile and Cadillac.

Quote:
Plus, if you give a customer the choice between Denon, Marantz, Onkyo, Yamaha, and Pioneer you have a greater chance of earning their business with two brands than with one.
^ This
post #15 of 67 Old 03-02-2017, 04:48 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 543 Post(s)
Liked: 329
Hopefully this will give D&M an incentive to offer more channels on their AVRs/processors so people need to buy more speakers.

My HT build: Tower Cinema - 9.1.6 in a 12'x12' room

Marantz | NAD | Monitor Audio | SVS | Pioneer
post #16 of 67 Old 03-02-2017, 05:16 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 249 Post(s)
Liked: 122
what!
I just heard yesterday that they were up for sale! Now this morning, I hear they sold!
I am so out of touch.

sound united ,well I like the products of some of their other lineups, just keep it quality and affordable and we can do business.

Audyssey is a great start, but not always a great finish.
Receiver:Marantz SR-5010, Speakers:Def Tech ST-8060 towers, CS-8040 center, SR-8040 surrounds, Pro Monitor 1000 heights
Subwoofer: SVS PB-2000
TV: 65" LG UG8700 remote: Harmony 1000
post #17 of 67 Old 03-02-2017, 05:17 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 1086 Post(s)
Liked: 521
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mashie Saldana View Post
Hopefully this will give D&M an incentive to offer more channels on their AVRs/processors so people need to buy more speakers.
Since most folks are using 2.0 or 5.1, I don't think so.
Anyone who needs more will be asked to look for power amps.
Members of AV forums such as these are in the minority..
Dom Di Stroia likes this.
post #18 of 67 Old 03-02-2017, 06:27 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 543 Post(s)
Liked: 329
Quote:
Originally Posted by petetherock View Post
I know, but one can always hope.

My HT build: Tower Cinema - 9.1.6 in a 12'x12' room

Marantz | NAD | Monitor Audio | SVS | Pioneer
post #19 of 67 Old 03-02-2017, 07:01 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 719 Post(s)
Liked: 825
Quote:
I don't see how Denon or Marantz compete with Polk or Definitive Technology. They seem complementary, the consolidations withing product categories (Denon + Marantz, Polk + DefTech) had already occurred.

Also, it can be helpful to consolidate R&D facilities as well as cross-pollinate engineering knowledge between brands. Speaking of consolidation, I'm curious about what happens to HEOS versus DTS Play-Fi. That's one area where there's overlap between capabilities of D+M Group products and Polk/DefTech products.
+1.

I would consider it a good thing, a speaker audio company has aquired another audio company that does electronics and AVRs--it fits. They compliment each other and the world changed when Samsung bought Harmon a few months back. Polk is moving in on the soundbar market and is doing well--Samsung was already there but now has Harmon to really push.

Polk and Def Tech now have D+M to help them expand that market and really go toe-to-toe with Samsung/Harmon and can make AVR/speaker systems for the consumer. D+M gains because they are a larger company as they have to fight Onkyo/Pioneer along with Samsung.

The audio market peaked in 1990 then went into decline. It did not help that after the peak the computer, gaming and cell phone markets exploded and vacuum up huge amounts of disposable income. For most people, audio is secondary to the TV/internet so audio tends to be pushed into the shadows.

Denon spun off and sold it's pro division a year or two ago, they specialized in club/DJ gear such as mixers, CD players and computer file controllers. The writing was on the wall so not too surprising, I'm glad it was a speaker company that bought them out. At least now they can focus on what they do best and not worry about being sold off in pieces.

Klipsch got bought out around 5 years ago, lately they have really improved their speaker line with the RP series and have returned to the higher level speakers/quality of their peak years. Sometimes things will improve so my wish is D+M follows that track.
VideoGrabber and toddman36 like this.
post #20 of 67 Old 03-02-2017, 07:11 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by zeus33 View Post
Cool. This thread serves as the comments section for my homepage article, otherwise I would not create a duplicate topic.
davethestalker likes this.

Mark Henninger

Last edited by imagic; 03-02-2017 at 11:10 AM.
post #21 of 67 Old 03-02-2017, 08:37 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 77 Post(s)
Liked: 82
Regarding Denon and Marantz competing with each other:

Denon : Marantz :: Toyota : Lexus
or Nissan : Infiniti
or Ford : Lincoln
or VW : Audi
or Chevrolet : Cadillac

A.L.a.E.o.t.U.S., as proven 3/21 - never forget.
Defend liberty.
Knowledge isn't Truth; it's just mindless agreement.
post #22 of 67 Old 03-02-2017, 08:53 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 184 Post(s)
Liked: 35
Ironically this has been my Home Theater setup for years, plus a pair of Boston Acoustics in my older car.
post #23 of 67 Old 03-02-2017, 08:57 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 1389 Post(s)
Liked: 896
I doubt this will change anything. Maybe we'll see complete 5.1 packages with polk speakers and Denon receivers.

Speakers and receivers are completely different products. This merger is similar to if GM and Firestone merged.
post #24 of 67 Old 03-02-2017, 09:19 AM

Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked: 1
Authorized Dealer Viewpoint?

@jdsmoothie
What say you, JD? Do you see this as plus, a minus or an non-event?
post #25 of 67 Old 03-02-2017, 09:28 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 268 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 12391 Post(s)
Liked: 5658
Quote:
Originally Posted by smdelaney View Post
@jdsmoothie
What say you, JD? Do you see this as plus, a minus or an non-event?
I see it as a plus as now you've got a parent company invested in the music business rather than an investment firm (Bain Capital) invested in the money business.
post #26 of 67 Old 03-02-2017, 09:46 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdsmoothie View Post
I see it as a plus as now you've got a parent company invested in the music business rather than an investment firm (Bain Capital) invested in the money business.
That's my thinking. In dealing with Sound United, I have found it to be a company that is absolutely focused on AV. Therefore, I'm optimistic as to how this all turns out.
mtbdudex likes this.

Mark Henninger
post #27 of 67 Old 03-02-2017, 10:28 AM

Quoted: 66 Post(s)
Liked: 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by petetherock View Post
Even with 5.1, most of these AVRs aren't putting out enough power to drive any of the nicer speakers available. The true watts per channel is in the 30-50 range even on the high end models.
post #28 of 67 Old 03-02-2017, 10:57 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 1366 Post(s)
Liked: 1026
Quote:
Fortunately that one is in the receivers, amps, and processors sub-forum.

So is yours, that's why I mentioned it. Did you mean to put it in the "Latest Industry News" forum?
imagic likes this.
post #29 of 67 Old 03-02-2017, 11:01 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 78 Post(s)
Liked: 703
Reading this thread gave me a flashback to member DenonJeff (Jeff Talmadge) .. I know he's been gone from Denon a while, where is he now?
http://www.avsforum.com/forum/member...denonjeff.html
post #30 of 67 Old 03-02-2017, 11:05 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by zeus33 View Post
So is yours, that's why I mentioned it. Did you mean to put it in the "Latest Industry News" forum?
D'oh, make I better make another cup of coffee.

Oh well, it is what it is. This article is in the newsletter and I used this URL, so we're stuck with it the way it is. Sorry @jdsmoothie

Mark Henninger

Last edited by imagic; 03-02-2017 at 11:09 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

Tags
and marantz. , Boston Acoustics , Definitive Technology , Denon , polk