AVS Forum banner

Trouble with Zone2 pre out on Denon 2312ci

2K views 13 replies 3 participants last post by  Jay.Windmill 
#1 ·
I have an Apple Airport Express connected to CD input via mini stereo plug to RCA. RCA from Zone2 pre out into external amp, which powers outdoor speakers. It used to work fine with no problems. At some point the signal started going in and out. It rarely works, but will randomly work at times. I've plugged the Apple AE directly into the external amp, and it works fine, which seems to narrow the issue down to the Denon Zone2 pre out. The external amp's auto on feature isn't working, presumably because it's not sensing an input. Any ideas on what my problem could be?

It occurs to me that I haven't ruled out the RCA cables, but that seems to be a long shot.

#3 ·
Good point. I tried a different input and ruled that out just now. I've read things that suggest zone 2 can be finicky, but I can't think of what settings, etc might be a problem. It is an analog connection, but I wonder if a DAC between the AE and Denon would help. I could run optical from the AE to the DAC

#5 ·
I've tried all analog inputs and the Tuner. Nothing will play to Zone2. I've also tried playing directly from an iPhone to Zone2. The external amp is a Russound X75. The auto on feature works fine if I plug a source directly in the amp, but does not work if the source runs through the Denon. If I unplug the the RCA from the Denon and plug them back in, the external amp will auto on, and I can hear noise pass to the speakers.

#8 ·
I reset the microprocessor and the issue remains. I have spent hours searching for anything that could be an issue, and I'm out of ideas. It's strange that I can pass noise through the speakers by touching the RCA tips to the Zone2 pre out terminals, but it doesn't seem to pass a signal any other way.

#11 ·
I'm bumping this from about a year ago. The center channel now rarely works. It's not in my main TV room, so I've been using this as a stereo receiver for the last year or so. Today, I hooked up a different center channel with different wire; did a mp reset 4 times, and I still get nothing from the center channel and nothing to the external amp connected to zone2. The lack of Zone2 is my biggest setback now, and it's time to replace it. I have Denon X2000 in my main room, and I'm looking at getting an X2400 (I believe this is the lowest model with assignable rears and zone2 pre-out). I bought the X2000 and 2312ci refurbished from one of the main refurb dealers in the US. I plan on getting the x2400 refurb as well, despite my experience with this 2312. If I'm off base on anything here please let me know. I'll probably make a purchase in the next few days.

#12 ·
I'm bumping this from about a year ago. The center channel now rarely works. It's not in my main TV room, so I've been using this as a stereo receiver for the last year or so. Today, I hooked up a different center channel with different wire; did a mp reset 4 times, and I still get nothing from the center channel and nothing to the external amp connected to zone2. The lack of Zone2 is my biggest setback now, and it's time to replace it. I have Denon X2000 in my main room, and I'm looking at getting an X2400 (I believe this is the lowest model with assignable rears and zone2 pre-out). I bought the X2000 and 2312ci refurbished from one of the main refurb dealers in the US. I plan on getting the x2400 refurb as well, despite my experience with this 2312. If I'm off base on anything here please let me know. I'll probably make a purchase in the next few days.
The X1400H is the lowest model with Zone 2 pre-outs.

#14 ·
The only differences I?m seeing b/t the 1400 and 2400 are 4K upscaling; power rating; various inputs; extra hdmi output. The only one I?d ever use is maybe the 4K upscaling, but I can?t say it matters much to me. Small price difference on the refurbs though. Tough call.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.