Here is my setup:
AppleTV --(HDMI)--> Denon x3200w
FireTV --(HDMI)--> Denon x3200w
Denon x3200w --(HDMI w/ARC audio return)--> LG 60UH8500
I have the following audio delay / sync features that I know about
- Denon manual delay with different setting per input (0-200ms)
- Denon auto lip sync
- LG TV Audio Delay: on/off | delay from -5 through +16 (no units) | Bypass (not sure why there is an on/off and bypass here, but the LG help isn't much help in explaining that)
I have the following set for the following inputs:
- AppleTV: auto lip sync ON | 94ms delay
- FireTV: auto lip sync ON | 76ms delay
- LG TV Audio (Broadcast, webOS 3.0): Here is my problem, I can't find a setting that is correct.
I can adjust the audio delay correctly for inputs coming into the Denon receiver and then going to the TV, and have done this for the FireTV and the AppleTV. I have verified that it is correct (or at least close) with both Youtube test videos as well as the Netflix test video on both sources. However, for TV audio, at least audio coming from WebOS 3.0 apps, the audio appears to be delayed by somewhere around 220-240ms, even with all audio delays set to zero. I have tried the following setups, powering down and back up both the TV and Denon receiver just in case there was a problem with the HDMI 2.0 dynamic ARC (not just set during handshaking):
- TV: audio delay off | Receiver: auto lip sync off, delay = 0ms
- TV: audio delay on, delay=-5 | Receiver: auto lip sync off, delay = 0ms
- TV: audio delay on, delay bypassed | Receiver: auto lip sync off, delay = 0ms
- TV: audio delay off | Receiver: auto lip sync on, delay = 0ms
- TV: audio delay on, delay=-5 | Receiver: auto lip sync on, delay = 0ms
- TV: audio delay on, delay bypassed | Receiver: auto lip sync on, delay = 0ms
Additionally, I messed around with setting my speaker distances in the Denon x3200w manually to zero feet, just in case there was an additional delay incurred there. That didn't change anything appreciably.
The two options where the audio delay from the TV is set to -5 seem to have a slightly shorter audio delay (maybe 200ms), but that could be a red herring as I didn't spend too much time measuring the delay since it was still clearly wrong.
Since the additional delay is not incurred when pulling audio from the HDMI inputs to the Denon (AppleTV and FireTV), I'm inclined to think there is a setting or an issue with the TV audio system exporting it through ARC. I have checked to ensure all firmware for all devices are up to date.
Is this a known issue with LG TVs?
What methods of syncing audio are available when the audio is already arriving after the video is displayed?
My searches on the net came up empty, so I'm hoping you can help. Thank you!