Amplifier Dilema - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 5 Old 03-23-2017, 09:58 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Amplifier Dilema

I have two amps Emotiva XPA2 and XPA5. I use the two channel for vinyl and both for everything else. I had them in a cabinet where there were no issues. I have retired, moved to a smaller home and now have them on a rack in the living room. Between the amps and the Marantz processor they throw a lot of heat. I could move the amps into the garage in a cabinet, near zero outside brings the garage to upper fifties which is acceptable per Emotiva. I could buy the new Gen3 7 channel from Emotiva which would cut down on the heat but I will have two extra amps. I like being able to control which amp is on and not sure the best way to get rid of the extra amps (they are heavy). The garage is just the other side of the wall where they sit now. I could also buy a new receiver where I don't need the amps but that gives me an extra unit to sell. What are others thoughts on how to resolve this. Thanks for input.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 Old 03-23-2017, 10:58 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 3197 Post(s)
Liked: 1571
Quote:
Originally Posted by BillBradley View Post
I have two amps Emotiva XPA2 and XPA5. I use the two channel for vinyl and both for everything else. I had them in a cabinet where there were no issues. I have retired, moved to a smaller home and now have them on a rack in the living room. Between the amps and the Marantz processor they throw a lot of heat. I could move the amps into the garage in a cabinet, near zero outside brings the garage to upper fifties which is acceptable per Emotiva. I could buy the new Gen3 7 channel from Emotiva which would cut down on the heat but I will have two extra amps. I like being able to control which amp is on and not sure the best way to get rid of the extra amps (they are heavy). The garage is just the other side of the wall where they sit now. I could also buy a new receiver where I don't need the amps but that gives me an extra unit to sell. What are others thoughts on how to resolve this. Thanks for input.
Many people use computer-style / laptop coolers to push the hot air out from between the amps and receiver or pre/pro. Large, slow-turning fans are relatively quiet. Keeping them inside will help keep your room warm in the winter, perhaps reducing the heating bill a little. Your garage might get quite warm in the summer, so going by its winter temperature probably isn't a good idea.

Selden

Marantz SR7009 avr + MM9000 amp --> Atmos 7.1.4
Fronts=NHT 2.9+AC2, FH+TM=DefTech PM1000, LCR+TM amped
post #3 of 5 Old 03-23-2017, 11:33 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 112 Post(s)
Liked: 66
That's what I usually do - fans. I'm not familiar with those amps but if you're able to get air moving around them they should be just fine.

Cary

post #4 of 5 Old 03-23-2017, 09:23 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 80 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 551 Post(s)
Liked: 534
I've used both of these with very good results.
The sherbourn can actually be had for much cheaper than the ad. It's just an example.

https://www.coolerguys.com/collectio...r-ccs-120-4led

http://m.ebay.com/itm/282167377358?_mwBanner=1

Speakers- Titan 615 LCR, Volt 6 Surrounds & Atmos, Submaximus v3 x2 w/Mach 5 Uxl18's
Processing- Marantz 7702 mk2, Minidsp ddrc88a x2
Amplification- Class D Audio Cda250x3, Crown Ct875, Behringer Inuke6000dsp
Sources- Samsung k8500, Ps4, Odroid c2, Xbox 360
Display- Epson 5030, 138" Diy spandex Screen
post #5 of 5 Old Today, 05:57 AM - Thread Starter

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Thanks

Thanks to all on the fan idea. Never crossed my mind as a solution. I will give it a try and share my experiences.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors