"OFFICIAL" 2017 Denon "S-Series" / "X-Series" AVR Owner's Thread + FAQ (Posts 1-8) - Page 43 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 1362Likes

post #1261 of 1548 Old 09-18-2017, 07:58 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 29 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Hi all,

Certain parts of my HT are nearly 10 years old (Panasonic PZ85U plasma TV, Pioneer 1018 receiver) - I'm actually hoping to make it to 10 years, but the HDMI switch on the receiver seems to have failed, so I'm starting my research.

One issue with my TV (and TVs that I've researched) is that the picture mode (i.e. custom settings, game mode, etc) cannot be set with a reliable IR sequence. You have to navigate through menus to set the mode, something I can't really program with a Harmony.

Thankfully each HDMI input on my TV retains its own picture settings. For that reason I've got most devices (cable, blu-ray, AppleTV) going through the AVR and to the 1st HDMI port on the TV. My PS4 goes to the 2nd port on the TV, which is set to game mode and the Harmony takes care of the rest. To get this to work I have to use optical out on the TV back to the receiver for the PS4 audio.

Sorry for the long-winded preface - but my question is on the X2400H 2nd HDMI output. The blurb in the manual:

The presence of a TV connected to the Auto(Dual) HDMI MONITOR 1 or HDMI MONITOR 2
(Default): connector is detected automatically, and that TV connection is used.
Monitor 1:
A TV connected to the HDMI MONITOR 1 connector is always used.
Monitor 2:
A TV connected to the HDMI MONITOR 2 connector is always used.
...doesn't quite answer it for me. Can the 2 HDMI outputs be used in such a way so that:

1. Cable TV, Blu-Ray, AppleTV go out from HDMI port 1 on AVR into port 1 on TV
2. PS4 goes to AVR, but output is sent from HDMI port 2 into port 2 on TV
3. All of this happens with a sequence via the Harmony

This would let me retain video mode settings for the respective devices but allow the AVR to be the HDMI switch for all.
thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #1262 of 1548 Old 09-19-2017, 01:36 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 385 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 15340 Post(s)
Liked: 7499
Quote:
Originally Posted by Archerkit View Post
Hi all,

Certain parts of my HT are nearly 10 years old (Panasonic PZ85U plasma TV, Pioneer 1018 receiver) - I'm actually hoping to make it to 10 years, but the HDMI switch on the receiver seems to have failed, so I'm starting my research.

One issue with my TV (and TVs that I've researched) is that the picture mode (i.e. custom settings, game mode, etc) cannot be set with a reliable IR sequence. You have to navigate through menus to set the mode, something I can't really program with a Harmony.

Thankfully each HDMI input on my TV retains its own picture settings. For that reason I've got most devices (cable, blu-ray, AppleTV) going through the AVR and to the 1st HDMI port on the TV. My PS4 goes to the 2nd port on the TV, which is set to game mode and the Harmony takes care of the rest. To get this to work I have to use optical out on the TV back to the receiver for the PS4 audio.

Sorry for the long-winded preface - but my question is on the X2400H 2nd HDMI output. The blurb in the manual:

The presence of a TV connected to the Auto(Dual) HDMI MONITOR 1 or HDMI MONITOR 2
(Default): connector is detected automatically, and that TV connection is used.
Monitor 1:
A TV connected to the HDMI MONITOR 1 connector is always used.
Monitor 2:
A TV connected to the HDMI MONITOR 2 connector is always used.
...doesn't quite answer it for me. Can the 2 HDMI outputs be used in such a way so that:

1. Cable TV, Blu-Ray, AppleTV go out from HDMI port 1 on AVR into port 1 on TV
2. PS4 goes to AVR, but output is sent from HDMI port 2 into port 2 on TV
3. All of this happens with a sequence via the Harmony

This would let me retain video mode settings for the respective devices but allow the AVR to be the HDMI switch for all.
thanks!
There are 4 Quick Select buttons that can be used, one for each of 4 sources whereby you can specifically save either the Monitor 1 or Monitor 2 output for a particular source, although the default is "Dual" so would pass video to both TV inputs anyway.
Madmax67 likes this.
post #1263 of 1548 Old 09-19-2017, 07:51 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 2764 Post(s)
Liked: 1279
I setup my X6400H yesterday and I have to say it was the easiest ever on this AVR than on any other Denon AVR's I've had. I was also able to add banana plugs making any future connections even easier. The devices on each Harmony activity start correctly which wouldn't happen on the X6200W. Also, it's nice not to have the A/V sync issues when watching Dolby Vision content and not having to use two HDMI cables from the UHD player.

One thing that I thought was curious as to why Denon makes us pick "Standard" or "Enhanced" for "4K Signal Format"? Why didn't they just let the AVR detect the 4k signal and then display based on the detection?
WynsWrld98 and wasima like this.

lujan
234 Ultra HD
780 HD
18 HD DVD
4 SD

post #1264 of 1548 Old 09-19-2017, 10:00 AM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 3
What does the ECO mode do? What do you have yours set at?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
post #1265 of 1548 Old 09-19-2017, 11:27 AM

Quoted: 143 Post(s)
Liked: 53
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cabintwo View Post
Saves a little bit of power consumption. I'd leave it off.

LG OLED55B6P • Denon AVR-X6400H • NAD Masters Series M22 • MartinLogan Motion 40 Towers, Motion 30 Center, Motion LX16 Surrounds, Dynamo 700W Sub • OPPO UDP-205
Schiit Gungnir Multibit (Gen 5 USB) • Schiit Mjolnir 2 (LISST & Tubes) • Sony MDR-Z1R • Focal Utopia
post #1266 of 1548 Old 09-19-2017, 11:31 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:

Cuts the internal temp about 10 degrees F by reducing power consumption, with likely no noticeable impact in either SPL or audio quality unless near reference volume level. I use ECO = ON.
post #1267 of 1548 Old 09-19-2017, 11:43 AM

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 74 Post(s)
Liked: 57
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdsmoothie View Post
Cuts the internal temp about 10 degrees F by reducing power consumption, with likely no noticeable impact in either SPL or audio quality unless near reference volume level. I use ECO = ON.
This is good to know. My wife decided without me, to buy a tv stand and she bought it on clearance with a no return policy. The only way for the receiver to sit in, is to place it in the middle slot and I mean it's tight, I have about 3/8" on each side of the AVR and I ended up cutting the back of the tv cabinet out and putting in a fan in behind blowing out. I've had it in there for the past few weeks and having the unit on for a long period of time during a few movies and games, I felt the receiver and it's not very warm at all. So I will check out the eco mode as well, as that may save a few more degrees.

tv: Samsung UN75MU800, Receiver: Denon AVR 730H, speakers: 4x M&K S-1B and M&K S85c for center, sub: MKsound V12 HTPC, Samsung UBP-K8500, Rogers Digital PVR, Chromecast Ultra
post #1268 of 1548 Old 09-19-2017, 11:50 AM
Industry Insider

Mentioned: 38 Post(s)
Quoted: 3017 Post(s)
Liked: 3212
Quote:
Originally Posted by powertoburn View Post
I just purchased the AVR-X2400H from Fry's due to their great pricing on this model this week.
Those guys are crazy some times with there prices, they sell sometimes way below most dealers cost, as a dealer I am glad they are not nationwide...lol.
post #1269 of 1548 Old 09-19-2017, 11:59 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 846 Post(s)
Liked: 946
Quote:

It limits the power output of the receiver and I set mine to Auto and it seems to work well without any loss in audio reproduction . I criticized this feature pretty heavily in the past but it's actually not the boogey man I thought it was and have adjusted my take on it for low to moderate listening levels. At reference I would turn it off.

Chane A5 towers,Chane A2.4 center,RBH bipole side surrounds, Rythmik LV12R x2,Denon X4300H, Outlaw 5000,Front B speakers: Wharfedale Diamond 10.1 books. http://www.avsforum.com/forum/90-rec...d-part-ii.html
post #1270 of 1548 Old 09-19-2017, 12:03 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 846 Post(s)
Liked: 946
Quote:
Originally Posted by lujan View Post
One thing that I thought was curious as to why Denon makes us pick "Standard" or "Enhanced" for "4K Signal Format"? Why didn't they just let the AVR detect the 4k signal and then display based on the detection?
It was like that last year but they changed it for those who were having EDID issues with their T.V. I believe.

Chane A5 towers,Chane A2.4 center,RBH bipole side surrounds, Rythmik LV12R x2,Denon X4300H, Outlaw 5000,Front B speakers: Wharfedale Diamond 10.1 books. http://www.avsforum.com/forum/90-rec...d-part-ii.html
post #1271 of 1548 Old 09-19-2017, 12:19 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Airplay 2

Does anyone know if current receivers will be updated to Airplay 2? Do we know which ones? Google search didn't bring up any details/announcements
post #1272 of 1548 Old 09-19-2017, 02:13 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by varmatheone View Post
Does anyone know if current receivers will be updated to Airplay 2? Do we know which ones? Google search didn't bring up any details/announcements
Not aware of any current models that will receive this update .... perhaps in 2018.
post #1273 of 1548 Old 09-19-2017, 02:44 PM

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Quote:
I setup my X6400H yesterday and I have to say it was the easiest ever on this AVR than on any other Denon AVR's I've had. I was also able to add banana plugs making any future connections even easier. The devices on each Harmony activity start correctly which wouldn't happen on the X6200W. Also, it's nice not to have the A/V sync issues when watching Dolby Vision content and not having to use two HDMI cables from the UHD player.

What receiver did you pick in the Harmony setup? X6400h?
post #1274 of 1548 Old 09-19-2017, 02:55 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JL-F1 View Post
What receiver did you pick in the Harmony setup? X6400h?
I left it alone using the old X6200W and everything seems to be working just fine.

lujan
234 Ultra HD
780 HD
18 HD DVD
4 SD
post #1275 of 1548 Old 09-20-2017, 05:18 AM

Quoted: 34 Post(s)
Liked: 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quicksilv3r View Post
Typical HDMI CEC connection. Nothing you can do about it. Turn your TV on first and then receiver and then sat box

Sent from my SM-G935W8 using Tapatalk

is really the only option to turn on the components in this order?

I have the following set up:

HDMI Control: ON
ARC: ON
TV Audio Switching: OFF

Is this correct?

Are there universal remotes that I can buy, that will allow me to program how to turn on the components to eliminate this issue? If so any recommendations?
post #1276 of 1548 Old 09-20-2017, 05:21 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frisco John View Post
is really the only option to turn on the components in this order?

I have the following set up:

HDMI Control: ON
ARC: ON
TV Audio Switching: OFF

Is this correct?

Are there universal remotes that I can buy, that will allow me to program how to turn on the components to eliminate this issue? If so any recommendations?

The most often recommended power on procedure (although not the only one) to mitigate HDMI handshake issues is: TV, pause 5 seconds, AVR, pause 5 seconds, source.

Logitech Harmony universal remotes are often recommended, the 650 being a very popular and inexpensive ($50) model that can control up to 8 devices.
OKGeek likes this.
post #1277 of 1548 Old 09-20-2017, 07:11 AM

Quoted: 49 Post(s)
Liked: 34
Quote:
My job? If that were true, why are these questions not directed to the vendor in which the forum member purchased their AVR? Because in many cases the vendor only knows enough to sell the AVR and nothing more (ie. has never cracked open the Owner's manual). I support all forum members to include non-customers (like yourself) as I am a forum member as well and have been doing so for far longer (10 years) than sales (4 years).

Correct. Ideally Auro 3D would have your 2nd set of height speakers be directly above the Side Surround speakers on the side wall; however, not only is that physical location impractical for the vast majority of owners, the "Surround Height" setting is not accepted by Atmos or DTS:X, which is why a firmware was released for the 2015 models and included from the factory on the 2016 and newer models that allows for the "Rear Height" setting to be used instead of the "Surround Height" setting (on those models with Auro 3D installed), so that the FH + RH configuration could be used with all three 3D Audio codecs (Atmos, DTS:X, Auro 3D) noting most Auro 3D AVR owners will have their 2nd set of height speakers either in the ceiling or on the rear wall anyway.
Just wanted to throw this in here. JD sells the Denon/Marantz receivers. I am not even sure if everyone that comes on the forums know this. When I got my 4300H last year I called JD and he had the best price. I know Fry's can have some awesome sales but they are not available anywhere near me.

I would of paid $30-$50 more to buy from him because I have been a member here for a while now. (2007 Onkyo 805 Mits 73833 TV). I see the effort that he takes and that is worth something to me.

JD spends a lot of personal time on these threads and answering our questions. I would at least give him a shot at earning your business. He spent 30 minutes with me on the phone answering some multiroom configuration questions. I even called him after the sale with a weird question.
Ted99, rg-one and Madmax67 like this.

Last edited by stangflyer; 09-20-2017 at 07:15 AM.
post #1278 of 1548 Old 09-20-2017, 08:17 AM

Quoted: 83 Post(s)
Liked: 47
Last post on this topic I promise....I’m just trying to get a better idea how Denon handles their on screen display when outputting a 4k signal.

So after reading through the manual I see that my 2400h says it will only upscale to 4k/30hz. Is that why I see the OSD when playing 4k movies because they are only 24fps? So I’m guessing if I played one of the few 60fps discs I would no longer see the OSD?

Along the same line of thinking, if I would of gone with a 3400 or higher model that upscales to 4k/60hz would I then be able to see the OSD when outputting a 4k/60hz signal? Or is that not how it works?

When I say OSD I mean being able to see the volume overlay on the tv when playing content. The 2400h is already overkill for my 5.1 setup and sounds great so I’m not really considering upgrading, just curious.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
post #1279 of 1548 Old 09-20-2017, 09:34 AM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 4
When I turned on my system this morning, there was a firmware update available for my Denon AVR X2400H. The description of what changed was the addition of Hybrid Log-Gamma (HLG) pass-through. The install took about 10 minutes without issue.
OddyOh likes this.

Sony A1E OLED 4K Ultra HD(65); Oppo UDP-203; Roku P+; Tivo Roamio; DirecTV Genie; Denon AVR X2400H; Pioneer Elite Pro-151(60); Sony X850C(55); Samsung JS9000(55)
post #1280 of 1548 Old 09-20-2017, 09:53 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Volpa View Post
When I turned on my system this morning, there was a firmware update available for my Denon AVR X2400H. The description of what changed was the addition of Hybrid Log-Gamma (HLG) pass-through. The install took about 10 minutes without issue.
Yes, I got the firmware update on my X6400H but I didn't know what it was for.

lujan
234 Ultra HD
780 HD
18 HD DVD
4 SD
post #1281 of 1548 Old 09-20-2017, 09:59 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Volpa View Post
Quote:
Yes, I got the firmware update on my X6400H but I didn't know what it was for.

Okay, so don't need anymore "X" series update confirmations. Can a "S" series model owner confirm the update was received as well please?
post #1282 of 1548 Old 09-20-2017, 10:10 AM

Quote:
Okay, so don't need anymore "X" series update confirmations. Can a "S" series model owner confirm the update was received as well please?
Someone will probably beat me to it, but I'll be able to check this evening when I get home, but I don't know if Denon distributes updates globally or done by region as I am in Canada, but I will check tonight.

tv: Samsung UN75MU800, Receiver: Denon AVR 730H, speakers: 4x M&K S-1B and M&K S85c for center, sub: MKsound V12 HTPC, Samsung UBP-K8500, Rogers Digital PVR, Chromecast Ultra
post #1283 of 1548 Old 09-20-2017, 10:19 AM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Yup, my s930 had an update when I turned it on, I assume it was this update.
post #1284 of 1548 Old 09-20-2017, 10:36 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by bloodforge View Post
Yup, my s930 had an update when I turned it on, I assume it was this update.
Great! Thank you.

So that just leaves the S530BT which can only be updated via a USB drive. It may take a month or two before the USB updates are added to the Denon website.
post #1285 of 1548 Old 09-20-2017, 01:34 PM

Quoted: 112 Post(s)
Liked: 94
Got a firmware update notification on my AVR-X2400H this morning as well. When I initially set Audyssey with my subs at 12 O Clock it set the TRIM levels to -12. I changed this to -9 but it still seemed like it was not enough bass so today I reran Audyssey with my subs at 10 O Clock and when it was done the TRIM level went down to -5.5 so I changed it it to -2.5 The bass does seem like it is better now. Should I adjust the levels on subwoofers lower abs run Audyssey so trim falls between -3.5 to +3.5 db?

The other issue I ran into with my Sony 4K television and 1080P Epson projector. When I have the video output to DUAL with the tv off - the video on the projector would loose HDMI sync so video goes to a black screen for a second or two. When I change the output to Monitor 2 there are no issues.

Last edited by powertoburn; 09-20-2017 at 01:57 PM.
post #1286 of 1548 Old 09-20-2017, 02:08 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by powertoburn View Post
Got a firmware update notification on my AVR-X2400H this morning as well. When I initially set Audyssey with my subs at 12 O Clock it set the TRIM levels to -12. I changed this to -9 but it still seemed like it was not enough bass so today I reran Audyssey with my subs at 10 O Clock and when it was done the TRIM level went down to -5.5 so I changed it it to -2.5 The bass does seem like it is better now. Should I adjust the levels on subwoofers lower abs run Audyssey so trim falls between -3.5 to +3.5 db?

The other issue I ran into with my Sony 4K television and 1080P Epson projector. When I have the video output to DUAL with the tv off - the video on the projector would loose HDMI sync so video goes to a black screen for a second or two. When I change the output to Monitor 2 there are no issues.
1. Nope. If it's fine at -2.5db, you're good to go.
2. Correct. Must use separate Monitor outputs when using different resolution displays.
post #1287 of 1548 Old 09-20-2017, 02:09 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 351 Post(s)
Liked: 69
I'd be interested in the correct process for calibrating the sub too. I also have an SPL meter but not sure whether I should get that involved, perhaps use it first to set the sub volume based on the test tones and then let Audyssey do its thing or the other way around?
post #1288 of 1548 Old 09-20-2017, 06:31 PM

No update for my S730H here in Canada

Sent from my SM-G935W8 using Tapatalk

post #1289 of 1548 Old 09-20-2017, 08:43 PM

Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked: 12
ARC doesn't seem to work on my X2400H anymore after last night's update. I'll need to play around with it to see if I can get it working.
post #1290 of 1548 Old 09-21-2017, 04:09 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by deadwinterskies View Post
ARC doesn't seem to work on my X2400H anymore after last night's update. I'll need to play around with it to see if I can get it working.
Try recycling the settings on the AVR, then power off and unplug the TV and AVR for 10 minutes.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

Tags
alexa , avrs730h , Denon

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page