AV Processor Recommendation Request - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 21 Old 03-24-2017, 01:40 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Club Gold

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked: 11
AV Processor Recommendation Request

I've looked at a slew of AV Processors to complement my existing 7.4 Triad Gold theater speakers and Parasound Halo Amps.

However, I can't find one that does not seem to have numerous complaints associated with it (performance, firmware/software reliability, interface, remote, etc ...)

I could stay with my current 7.4 configuration -- or upgrade to 11.x Dolby Atmos.

But I just don't see a clear favorite in this category.

Any recommendations would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 21 Old 03-24-2017, 02:06 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 61 Post(s)
Liked: 118
Have you looked into the Yamaha CX-A5100?
post #3 of 21 Old 03-24-2017, 07:50 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Club Gold

Quote:
Originally Posted by phantom52 View Post
Have you looked into the Yamaha CX-A5100?
Yes, thank you, that unit looks promising.

But it is just old enough to raise some questions that I cannot find definitive answers to.

For example:

Does it feature HDMI 2.0a or just HDMI 2.0? LINK

Does it always pass through HDR-10 and DolbyVision? LINK

Does UHD 4:4:4 get down-converted to 4:2:2 or 4:2:0? LINK

post #4 of 21 Old 03-24-2017, 08:06 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by blafarm View Post
Yes, thank you, that unit looks promising.

But it is just old enough to raise some questions that I cannot find definitive answers to.

For example:

Does it feature HDMI 2.0a or just HDMI 2.0? LINK

Does it always pass through HDR-10 and DolbyVision? LINK

Does UHD 4:4:4 get down-converted to 4:2:2 or 4:2:0? LINK
Below is a review with answers to some of your questions. Don't know if you have seen it but does get fairly detailed.

http://www.soundandvision.com/conten...VL2F68TjiiE.97

Hopes it helps out.
post #5 of 21 Old 03-24-2017, 08:29 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Club Gold

Quote:
Below is a review with answers to some of your questions. Don't know if you have seen it but does get fairly detailed.

http://www.soundandvision.com/conten...VL2F68TjiiE.97

Hopes it helps out.
Thanks for that article.
Yes, it does shed some additional light -- but it doesn't specifically address the HDR-10/DolbyVision and 4:4:4 questions.
Question: Do you own this product?
post #6 of 21 Old 03-24-2017, 08:45 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Thanks for that article.
Yes, it does shed some additional light -- but it doesn't specifically address the HDR-10/DolbyVision and 4:4:4 questions.
No sir I don't. I'm still hooked on my old H/K 7550HD. It does everything I need at this time and hope to keep a long time to come. I'm a huge Yamaha fan and purchased the RX-A3000 when it came out along with the H/K to compare. I kept the H/K and gave the 3000 to my daughter. Before the H/K used many Yamaha products and they have ALWAYS lasted and worked without so much as a hiccup. That is why I suggested the CX-A5100 to you. Also there is a thread here somewhere about the coming out of the CX-A5200 this year sometime. On that thread there are users of the 5100 that swear the 5100 compares to the Marantz 8802 and have used both and kept the 5100. Crutchfield sells the 5100 and the Marantz pre-pros and they do have detailed specs on each that would allow you to compare. Good luck and hope you are able to find what you want to complete what looks to me to be an outstanding system.
post #7 of 21 Old 03-24-2017, 08:54 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Club Gold

Quote:
No sir I don't. I'm still hooked on my old H/K 7550HD. It does everything I need at this time and hope to keep a long time to come. I'm a huge Yamaha fan and purchased the RX-A3000 when it came out along with the H/K to compare. I kept the H/K and gave the 3000 to my daughter. Before the H/K used many Yamaha products and they have ALWAYS lasted and worked without so much as a hiccup. That is why I suggested the CX-A5100 to you. Also there is a thread here somewhere about the coming out of the CX-A5200 this year sometime. On that thread there are users of the 5100 that swear the 5100 compares to the Marantz 8802 and have used both and kept the 5100. Crutchfield sells the 5100 and the Marantz pre-pros and they do have detailed specs on each that would allow you to compare. Good luck and hope you are able to find what you want to complete what looks to me to be an outstanding system.
Thanks so much for that thoughtful reply. I have looked at the Crutchfield pages and reviews and they are very positive regarding the Yamaha. I will look for the CX-A5200 thread you mentioned and try to figure out if I can limp along until that product can be more fully understood. Thanks again.
post #8 of 21 Old 03-24-2017, 09:07 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Below is thread I was referring to about the upcoming Yamaha CX-A5200.

Yamaha CX-A5200 Speculation Thread
post #9 of 21 Old 03-25-2017, 07:31 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Club Gold

Quote:
Below is thread I was referring to about the upcoming Yamaha CX-A5200.

Yamaha CX-A5200 Speculation Thread
Thanks. Yes, I read it right after you referenced it. Its title is aptly-named -- as there seems to no clear indication that Yamaha intends to refresh the platform (although you could naturally think that might happen on or directly after CEDIA).
post #10 of 21 Old 03-25-2017, 10:16 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Thanks. Yes, I read it right after you referenced it. Its title is aptly-named -- as there seems to no clear indication that Yamaha intends to refresh the platform (although you could naturally think that might happen on or directly after CEDIA).
Yamaha is very good about updating their equipment from year to year. I would bet that the upcoming CX-A5200 will be able to answer any questions you may have about its abilities. Another you can look into is the Anthem AVM60.

http://hometheaterreview.com/anthem-...avm-60-preamp/

And a full review.

http://hometheaterreview.com/anthem-...ssor-reviewed/

Just another option.
post #11 of 21 Old 03-25-2017, 11:23 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Club Gold

Quote:
Yamaha is very good about updating their equipment from year to year. I would bet that the upcoming CX-A5200 will be able to answer any questions you may have about its abilities. Another you can look into is the Anthem AVM60.

http://hometheaterreview.com/anthem-...avm-60-preamp/

And a full review.

http://hometheaterreview.com/anthem-...ssor-reviewed/

Just another option.
Thanks. Yes, I looked into the Anthem -- including reviews and the AVS Forum thread. You can't please all of the people -- all of the time. However, there are some very salient expressions of discontent that give me pause.
post #12 of 21 Old 03-31-2017, 08:49 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Club Gold

Quote:
Thanks for that article.
For the record, further research indicates that the 5100 DOES NOT support DolbyVision.

That feature can be found in the new receivers they just announced: http://www.avsforum.com/yamaha-annou...-dolby-vision/

Word in the 5200 Speculation thread is that if a 5200 if forthcoming, it will not be before September.
post #13 of 21 Old 03-31-2017, 09:46 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
For the record, further research indicates that the 5100 DOES NOT support DolbyVision.

That feature can be found in the new receivers they just announced: http://www.avsforum.com/yamaha-annou...-dolby-vision/

Word in the 5200 Speculation thread is that if a 5200 if forthcoming, it will not be before September.
Don't know if those just announced have pre-outs to connect your amps. Their newer upper grade models should also be announced shortly. With your equipment you will probably want something along the Aventage models from Yamaha. There is also the upper models from Marantz AVR's that you may look into. Also Denon's upper X models may have what you need in just an AVR. The AVR's have amps that you may or may not use or need depending on how many channels you are going to use. The Marantz SR 7011 gets great reviews for an AVR. You have already looked into their processors IIRC so you know what they offer. You may have to wait a little longer to see what new processors are going to offer. May be better to wait for those so you can get what you will want than having to "settle" for something just to get an AVR you may not like in the long run. Below is a comparison between some Denon AVR's that may give you an idea on what they can do for you. I would contact member jdsmoothie at the AVS Store for recommendation on the Yamaha's,Marantz and Denon's for either their pre-pros or AVR's asking about known release dates and any questions you may have on what is out now. Good luck I think he can answer any question you may have.

https://usa.denon.com/us/product/hometheater/receivers

Last edited by phantom52; 03-31-2017 at 09:59 AM.
post #14 of 21 Old 03-31-2017, 03:37 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Club Gold

Quote:
Don't know if those just announced have pre-outs to connect your amps. Their newer upper grade models should also be announced shortly. With your equipment you will probably want something along the Aventage models from Yamaha. There is also the upper models from Marantz AVR's that you may look into. Also Denon's upper X models may have what you need in just an AVR. The AVR's have amps that you may or may not use or need depending on how many channels you are going to use. The Marantz SR 7011 gets great reviews for an AVR. You have already looked into their processors IIRC so you know what they offer. You may have to wait a little longer to see what new processors are going to offer. May be better to wait for those so you can get what you will want than having to "settle" for something just to get an AVR you may not like in the long run. Below is a comparison between some Denon AVR's that may give you an idea on what they can do for you. I would contact member jdsmoothie at the AVS Store for recommendation on the Yamaha's,Marantz and Denon's for either their pre-pros or AVR's asking about known release dates and any questions you may have on what is out now. Good luck I think he can answer any question you may have.

https://usa.denon.com/us/product/hometheater/receivers
Thanks for your post. Unfortunately, those new units do not have pre-outs. Clearly a marketing strategy intended to avoid cannibalizing the Aventage line, which is the tier of product I am aiming for anyway. However, in the past, I have successfully taken the Denon AVR "CI" route, and treated it like just a preamp and not used the internal amps. Wish I could do it now with the new Yamaha units as a stop-gap approach to waiting for the next generation 5200. Lastly, I've done business with AVS before but had not considered calling them to help solve this puzzle. Thanks for the suggestion.
post #15 of 21 Old 04-01-2017, 12:24 AM

Quoted: 53 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Quote:
I've looked at a slew of AV Processors to complement my existing 7.4 Triad Gold theater speakers and Parasound Halo Amps.

However, I can't find one that does not seem to have numerous complaints associated with it (performance, firmware/software reliability, interface, remote, etc ...)

I could stay with my current 7.4 configuration -- or upgrade to 11.x Dolby Atmos.

But I just don't see a clear favorite in this category.

Any recommendations would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance.
I would highly recommend the Anthem AVM60 processor retails for $3k. It supports dolby atmos, dts-x, hdcp 2.2 for 4k video with hdmi 2.0. Great sounding ht processor. The ARC (Anthem Room Correction) works extraordinarily. It's probably one of the best room EQ calibration. It is one of a few auto room EQ calibration that actually worked really well. For multi-channel (movies) and with ARC engaged the AVM60 performed better than the Marantz AV8802 and the Classe Sigma SSP and sonically it rivals the much more expensive Classe SSP 800. The Classe processors (Sigma SSP & SSP 800) sounded better for 2ch or stereo performance for listening to music or when used as an analog stereo preamp. But all Classe processors lack automatic room EQ calibration software and instead provide manual PEQ, which will require proper tools and equipments and thorough knowledge on how to implement it.

But if your main usage is for home theater then the Anthem AVM60 would be a perfect choice and will pair well with your Parasound Halo amps. Which Halo amps are you using?

The Marantz AV8802 and the Classe Sigma SSP would be another great options. When used as an analog stereo preamp for music the Classe Sigma SSP will sound better than the Marantz AV8802.

But for home theater (surrounds) the Marantz is a lot easier to set up than the Classe. If the Classe Sigma SSP is calibrated correctly and properly using its manual PEQ, it will perform better than the Marantz AV8802 with its Audyssey Platinum Suite engaged. But their surround sound performances for movies are pretty close.

But I would look at the Anthem AVM60 first and foremost especially if your main usage is for home theater. Its 2ch performance for music is on par with the Marantz AV8802. And as an added bonus, the Anthem AVM60 is the cheapest of all three.
The Marantz AV8802 retails for $4k and the Classe Sigma SSP retails for $5k for the original version, and $6 for mkll version with Dolby Atmos, DTS-X, hdcp 2.2 for 4K video and hdmi 2.0.
post #16 of 21 Old 04-01-2017, 05:29 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

^^ The OP wants/needs HDMI 2.0a IIRC neither of those suggested have that.
post #17 of 21 Old 04-01-2017, 08:42 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Club Gold

Quote:
Originally Posted by vivace View Post
ps. Which Halo amps are you using?
My currently 7.4 configuration is:

Speakers
2 - Triad Gold LCR (Left Right)
1 - InWall Gold/6 LCR (Center)
4 - Triad Gold OnWall Surrounds
4 - Triad Custom PMI Silver Power Sub InWall Style Mounted OnWall

Amps
1 - Parasound Halo Series A21 250 watt x2
1 - Parasound Halo Series A51 250 watt x5
4 - Triad 500 Watt Rackmount Subwoofer Amplifiers

Quote:
^^ The OP wants/needs HDMI 2.0a IIRC neither of those suggested have that.
Yes, that is correct. I get a sense we are on the cusp of product refreshes by a number of manufacturers that will give me what I need. I clearly need to learn to be patient. However, as I am moving and leaving my current Preamp solution behind, I am wondering what can I buy cheaply that will support plain-jane UHD and has Pre-Outs that will allow me to limp along for a couple of months until after CEDIA?
post #18 of 21 Old 04-01-2017, 08:58 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
My currently 7.4 configuration is:

Speakers
2 - Triad Gold LCR (Left Right)
1 - InWall Gold/6 LCR (Center)
4 - Triad Gold OnWall Surrounds
4 - Triad Custom PMI Silver Power Sub InWall Style Mounted OnWall

Amps
1 - Parasound Halo Series A21 250 watt x2
1 - Parasound Halo Series A51 250 watt x5
4 - Triad 500 Watt Rackmount Subwoofer Amplifiers

Yes, that is correct. I get a sense we are on the cusp of product refreshes by a number of manufacturers that will give me what I need. I clearly need to learn to be patient. However, as I am moving and leaving my current Preamp solution behind, I am wondering what can I buy cheaply that will support plain-jane UHD and has Pre-Outs that will allow me to limp along for a couple of months until after CEDIA?
You may check out the Yamaha TSR series AVR's to get you by. The TSR 7790BL below seems to have what you need to get by with.

http://usa.yamaha.com/products/audio...product_lineup

And a very good price for one if you don't mind buying a refurb. Many members here use them with very few problems. Also only $399 from this site.

http://www.accessories4less.com/make...rx-v779/1.html

Maybe it will get you by until the pre-pro you want is available.
post #19 of 21 Old 04-01-2017, 11:39 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Club Gold

Quote:
You may check out the Yamaha TSR series AVR's to get you by. The TSR 7790BL below seems to have what you need to get by with.

http://usa.yamaha.com/products/audio...product_lineup

And a very good price for one if you don't mind buying a refurb. Many members here use them with very few problems. Also only $399 from this site.

http://www.accessories4less.com/make...rx-v779/1.html

Maybe it will get you by until the pre-pro you want is available.
phantom52,

You are unbelievable ... so generous with your time and energy -- and so helpful. Thank you very much for this recommendation. I will take a deeper dive into the specs, but it looks like it will be a perfect, low cost, stop-gap product to tide-me-over until the next generation of Pre-Pros are introduced. Thank you once again for taking the time to share your knowledge with me. Cheers.
post #20 of 21 Old Yesterday, 08:13 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
phantom52,

You are unbelievable ... so generous with your time and energy -- and so helpful. Thank you very much for this recommendation. I will take a deeper dive into the specs, but it looks like it will be a perfect, low cost, stop-gap product to tide-me-over until the next generation of Pre-Pros are introduced. Thank you once again for taking the time to share your knowledge with me. Cheers.
You're very welcome and I believe at this time the TSR will get you by for the time being. If you do get the Yamaha and it works out for you you will have a chance to listen to a Yamaha and therefore may help you decide on that 5200 to see if it's the pre-pro for you. Good luck and do hope the TSR works as a temporary fix for your upgraditis. Also it will leave you with a AVR you can use in another room or setup if you need one.
post #21 of 21 Old Today, 02:17 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 145 Post(s)
Liked: 101
Just wondering, because only HDMI 2.1 will "fix" most of the known problems with reference to the different HDR versions, because it will recognize them, which all the earlier ones are not. But this specification hasn't even been finalized yet. It is supposed to happen somwhere in Q2 2017. Units follwing those specs will probably be available earliest starting 2018.
All the announced intermediary "solutions" of some manufacturers are just adding something in an a somehow "individual" way, which hasn't been specified as a standard and probably will sooner or later "fail" in some other respect.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page