Do I need a receiver with two HDMI outputs or just one? - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
post #1 of 4 Old Yesterday, 02:32 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Do I need a receiver with two HDMI outputs or just one?

Good afternoon,

I have purchased a Sony Bravia XBR-65X850D television and I have it connected to an older Sony Receiver STRDG720. I have recently gone to a DirecTV Genie with a mini that supports 4K. Because my receiver does not support 4K pass trough, I am in the market for a new receiver that supports the signal.

My question is this, do I need a receiver that supports two HDMI outputs if I intend to us ARC from the TV to the receiver? Can I simply get a single output receiver that supports ARC and then run a HDMI cable from that port to the ARC supported port on the TV to pass sound from the TV to the receiver when watching streamed shows and use the same output / cable to send the 4K signal to the TV when watching 4K shows from DirecTV?

Currently I am running an optical cable from the TV to the receiver to pass sound from the steaming services to the receiver and then I am running an HDMI cable from the mini-genie to another HDMI input on the TV and a coaxial cable to the receiver.

Thanks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 Old Yesterday, 03:14 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 1097 Post(s)
Liked: 783
You only need 1 HDMI output with ARC to get audio from TV apps to receiver.

Dual HDMI out are handy if you you're connecting a TV and Projector and don't want to bother with switching cables each time you want to use one fo the other.

Afro GT
post #3 of 4 Unread Yesterday, 06:03 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 802 Post(s)
Liked: 350
Do I need a receiver with two HDMI outputs or just one?

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcormier View Post
…Can I simply get a single output receiver that supports ARC and then run a HDMI cable from that port to the ARC supported port on the TV to pass sound from the TV to the receiver when watching streamed shows and use the same output / cable to send the 4K signal to the TV when watching 4K shows from DirecTV?

Currently I am running an optical cable from the TV to the receiver to pass sound from the steaming services to the receiver and then I am running an HDMI cable from the mini-genie to another HDMI input on the TV and a coaxial cable to the receiver.

Thanks.
In a word, yes. Audio Return Channel (HDMI-ARC) is meant to carry audio back on teh "output" HDMI connection to a TV.

But be forewarned, it doesn't work reliably for some people and some products. You may want to run an optical connection as you are doing now, just for a backup. I have a few-yrs-old Yamaha and ARC hasn't give me much trouble, but others have different stories to tell.

Did my answer help you? Please like my post if did; I can use the cosmic brownie points. :)
New here? Please read FAQs and forum stickies. They will save you time when you ask the forum community a question….
A: Yamaha RX-V775. Bose 401 mains, 301 Series III surrounds, Yamaha NS-C444 center, Hsu VTF-2 Mk4.
V: Samsung UN40ES6150, Panasonic DMP-BDT215, Yamaha DVD-S550. Apple TV 4gen. Chromecast 1gen.

Last edited by ChromeJob; Yesterday at 09:07 PM.

post #4 of 4 Unread Today, 05:06 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 283 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 12652 Post(s)
Liked: 5789
Quote:
Originally Posted by jcormier View Post

Thanks.
Nothing wrong with the current setup until/unless the DTV mini-genie can pass other than DD 5.1 (ie. Dolby TrueHD/DD+/DTS HD-MA) as it is the same quality as using HDMI.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors