MultEQ Editor: New App for Denon & Marantz AV Receivers & Pre/Pros - Page 10 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 961Likes
Reply
 
Thread Tools
post #271 of 1671 Old 04-13-2017, 03:42 PM
Senior Member
 
In.vincible's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2017
Posts: 290
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 221 Post(s)
Liked: 93
Is there a way to open the .ady file on a PC?
In.vincible is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #272 of 1671 Old 04-13-2017, 06:19 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
muzz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Location: MA. USA
Posts: 4,256
Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 756 Post(s)
Liked: 507
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spidacat View Post
Google Play says my phone (Moto X Pure) is compatible, but the screen resolution (2550x1440 I believe) isn't listed. I called Denon today and they said the Moto X Pure is compatible with the app, so I'll be installing it over the weekend.
Works fine, I have same phone.
No Problem.

Why waste $ on more cheap stuff, it's like challenging a dragon with a pocket knife.
muzz is offline  
post #273 of 1671 Old 04-14-2017, 02:46 PM
Member
 
Spidacat's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: North Carolina
Posts: 180
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 126 Post(s)
Liked: 77
Two issues for me so far. App crashes on the tab where you choose high roll off 1 or 2. More important is that it keeps locking up when trying to send the file to the AVR (4300H). Gets to the "applying room corrections" and the status bar stops at roughly 99%. After 10 minutes I've stopped and restarted the app but the same thing happens. Also where/how do you copy the original file so I can make some changes to the curve?

Sent from my KFAPWI using Tapatalk
Spidacat is offline  
 
post #274 of 1671 Old 04-14-2017, 03:01 PM - Thread Starter
Mark Henninger
 
imagic's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Philadelphia, PA
Posts: 12,490
Mentioned: 279 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6625 Post(s)
Liked: 11399
I'm feeling restless because I've had to spend the past couple of days reviewing a Sonos PlayBase instead of using/writing this app up. Grrr. Well, done with that review, thankfully. Wish there was more time in the day...
bmcn likes this.

Mark Henninger, Senior Editor at AVS Forum
imagic is offline  
post #275 of 1671 Old 04-14-2017, 03:49 PM
Member
 
Spidacat's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: North Carolina
Posts: 180
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 126 Post(s)
Liked: 77
Whew! Finally got my original sent to the receiver. Took about 8-10 tries. Also figured out how to make a copy of the original curve so I can play with changes. Still won't be able to run "Target Sound Options" until they fix a bug for me.
Spidacat is offline  
post #276 of 1671 Old 04-15-2017, 03:54 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
rec head's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Chicago
Posts: 1,119
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 143 Post(s)
Liked: 108
Quote:
Originally Posted by imagic View Post
I'm feeling restless because I've had to spend the past couple of days reviewing a Sonos PlayBase instead of using/writing this app up. Grrr. Well, done with that review, thankfully. Wish there was more time in the day...
I get the frustration but think of all the app crashes you are missing.
rec head is offline  
post #277 of 1671 Old 04-15-2017, 03:59 PM - Thread Starter
Mark Henninger
 
imagic's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Philadelphia, PA
Posts: 12,490
Mentioned: 279 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6625 Post(s)
Liked: 11399
Quote:
Originally Posted by rec head View Post
I get the frustration but think of all the app crashes you are missing.
Lol, well I just posted that review so tomorrow I get to join the fun here for real
nathan_h and vn800art like this.

Mark Henninger, Senior Editor at AVS Forum
imagic is offline  
post #278 of 1671 Old 04-16-2017, 01:51 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Viche's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Posts: 1,715
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 585 Post(s)
Liked: 156
Quote:
Originally Posted by beastaudio View Post
Quite true, but if you had a fully autonomous car that one day you decided you wanted to drive manually, don't you think you'd read more than one guide on how to operate the car on your own?

With that said, if Mark @imagic has his hands full and people want, I can do a little walkthrough for the app and what all that means. You can certainly do more harm than good, but that's where reading some good literature from Floyd Toole or the like would really take your knowledge to the next level. If you are not familiar with a 2nd order Linkwitz, shelf filter, or the fletcher munson curves are (Just for example), you could still get yourself in trouble with making adjustments in the app that you don't exactly understand what they mean. This will mainly come into play when trying to create custom curves as opposed to the dead flat target audyssey curve, with selectable rolloff up top.





Sounds to me like a busted mic, but a reset may fix the problems for you.

So for people who don't plan on reading up on linkwitz filters (etc.), are there any dummy settings that can safely be played with? Like setting the cutoff frequency at which audyssey has an effect, or simple eq settings for which you can hear an immediate change in sound like the old analog frequency levers on receivers from the 80s?

Trying to decide if it's worth the $20 for me.
Viche is offline  
post #279 of 1671 Old 04-16-2017, 02:40 PM
Senior Member
 
In.vincible's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2017
Posts: 290
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 221 Post(s)
Liked: 93
Quote:
Originally Posted by Viche View Post
So for people who don't plan on reading up on linkwitz filters (etc.), are there any dummy settings that can safely be played with? Like setting the cutoff frequency at which audyssey has an effect, or simple eq settings for which you can hear an immediate change in sound like the old analog frequency levers on receivers from the 80s?

Trying to decide if it's worth the $20 for me.
I tried limiting the cutoff to 500 Hz. It sounded very good for music, but TV/movie content seemed off somehow. I also tried turning off midrange compensation, but I seemed to like the sound better with it on. Finally, I tried the High Freq. Rolloff curve 2. Now that, I actually liker better. After all my fiddling, I ended up using the default reference curve with HF rolloff 2. Some music sounded a little too bright and harsh with HF1, but HF2 sounds really good.
In.vincible is offline  
post #280 of 1671 Old 04-16-2017, 07:09 PM
Member
 
macuniverse's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Melbourne, Australia
Posts: 130
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by Viche View Post
Trying to decide if it's worth the $20 for me.
I was thinking the same thing
macuniverse is offline  
post #281 of 1671 Old 04-16-2017, 11:16 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
CBdicX's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Hello from Holland !
Posts: 2,855
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1306 Post(s)
Liked: 274
Quote:
Originally Posted by In.vincible View Post
I tried limiting the cutoff to 500 Hz. It sounded very good for music, but TV/movie content seemed off somehow. I also tried turning off midrange compensation, but I seemed to like the sound better with it on. Finally, I tried the High Freq. Rolloff curve 2. Now that, I actually liker better. After all my fiddling, I ended up using the default reference curve with HF rolloff 2. Some music sounded a little too bright and harsh with HF1, but HF2 sounds really good.

A few questions please.


1)
Is the turning off Midrange Compensation just a "flip of a button" ?


2)
Could the MC be pushed up and down if its to much or to little ?


3)
And can this be used per channel, i would like it to be just on the center ?


Thanks........
CBdicX is offline  
post #282 of 1671 Old 04-17-2017, 05:01 AM
Senior Member
 
In.vincible's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2017
Posts: 290
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 221 Post(s)
Liked: 93
Quote:
Originally Posted by CBdicX View Post
A few questions please.


1)
Is the turning off Midrange Compensation just a "flip of a button" ?


2)
Could the MC be pushed up and down if its to much or to little ?


3)
And can this be used per channel, i would like it to be just on the center ?


Thanks........
1) Yep, it's just a flip of a switch in the app. Actually, you can do it for fronts and center (maybe surrounds, too, but I don't have those).

2) I believe so. You can editor the curve to make it look however you want

3) You have control over each channel

For me, I think the app was worth it. I mean, I spent a bunch on a new AVR. Another twenty bucks wasn't much. It would've been nice if they just included the app for free considering how expensive the AVR was, but oh well.
In.vincible is offline  
post #283 of 1671 Old 04-17-2017, 05:18 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
rec head's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Chicago
Posts: 1,119
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 143 Post(s)
Liked: 108
You guys are worried about $20 after everything else? Seems like a drop in the bucket. Now, being worried about the time spent going through the process then playing around with different parameters and getting frustrated over app crashes I get.
DS-21 and GunmetalR56 like this.
rec head is offline  
post #284 of 1671 Old 04-17-2017, 06:09 AM
Advanced Member
 
drh3b's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2017
Location: Saint Louis, MO
Posts: 898
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 453 Post(s)
Liked: 440
Quote:
Originally Posted by rec head View Post
You guys are worried about $20 after everything else? Seems like a drop in the bucket. Now, being worried about the time spent going through the process then playing around with different parameters and getting frustrated over app crashes I get.
Totally agree. After spending hundreds of dollars on a receiver, another $20 is no big deal. I wish I could spend $20 on the app, but my receiver is too old.
sprins likes this.

Denon AVR-X4300H (2nd try)
Emotiva XPA Gen3 3 channel
Klipsch RP-280f LR, RP-450c, RP-260f SR, RF-82 II SB, RC-10 FH
SVS SB12-NSD x4
OPPO UDP-203 TiVo Roamio, adequate Samsung UHD LED TV
drh3b is offline  
post #285 of 1671 Old 04-17-2017, 06:55 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
bmcn's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2014
Posts: 4,682
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1938 Post(s)
Liked: 2853
Quote:
Originally Posted by rec head View Post
...getting frustrated over app crashes I get.
Why is your installation is unstable?
bmcn is offline  
post #286 of 1671 Old 04-17-2017, 07:13 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
bmcn's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2014
Posts: 4,682
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1938 Post(s)
Liked: 2853
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spidacat View Post
...Also figured out how to make a copy of the original curve so I can play with changes...
How did you accomplish this?
bmcn is offline  
post #287 of 1671 Old 04-17-2017, 07:26 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
bmcn's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2014
Posts: 4,682
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1938 Post(s)
Liked: 2853
Quote:
Originally Posted by CBdicX View Post
1)
...Is the turning off Midrange Compensation just a "flip of a button" ?...
Turned off MRC this morning and speakers have never sounded better in the room. Speakers have a measured midrange dip which prior versions of Aud unnecessarily reinforced.
bmcn is offline  
post #288 of 1671 Old 04-17-2017, 09:21 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
CBdicX's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Hello from Holland !
Posts: 2,855
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1306 Post(s)
Liked: 274
Quote:
Originally Posted by bmcn View Post
Turned off MRC this morning and speakers have never sounded better in the room. Speakers have a measured midrange dip which prior versions of Aud unnecessarily reinforced.

Hi, think this is the for me the wanted Denon "Dialog Enhancer" effect that i realy like.
So spending 19,99 euro is no big deal at all


And did you turn it off on all channels, or just the center ?
CBdicX is offline  
post #289 of 1671 Old 04-17-2017, 09:25 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
bmcn's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2014
Posts: 4,682
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1938 Post(s)
Liked: 2853
Unfamiliar with that, this rig is for music. On a video system using an older Denon w/xt 32 I simply increase the cc level 2-3 ticks.
bmcn is offline  
post #290 of 1671 Old 04-17-2017, 09:26 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
bmcn's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2014
Posts: 4,682
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1938 Post(s)
Liked: 2853
Quote:
Originally Posted by CBdicX View Post
Hi, think this is the for me the wanted Denon "Dialog Enhancer" effect that i realy like.
So spending 19,99 euro is no big deal at all


And did you turn it off on all channels, or just the center ?
Unfamiliar with that; this rig is for music - LR & sub. On a video system using an older Denon w/xt 32 I simply increase the cc level 2-3 ticks.
bmcn is offline  
post #291 of 1671 Old 04-17-2017, 09:29 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
CBdicX's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Hello from Holland !
Posts: 2,855
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1306 Post(s)
Liked: 274
Quote:
Originally Posted by bmcn View Post
Unfamiliar with that; this rig is for music - LR & sub. On a video system using an older Denon w/xt 32 I simply increase the cc level 2-3 ticks.

Dialog Enhancer is not increasing the center level, its bumping the 1 to 3 kHz range so voices will sound more clear.
Denon can do this in 3 steps, a great option, special for the center.
bmcn likes this.
CBdicX is offline  
post #292 of 1671 Old 04-17-2017, 09:39 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
gurkey's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Posts: 3,126
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 276 Post(s)
Liked: 172
Quote:
Originally Posted by In.vincible View Post
1) Yep, it's just a flip of a switch in the app. Actually, you can do it for fronts and center (maybe surrounds, too, but I don't have those).

2) I believe so. You can editor the curve to make it look however you want

3) You have control over each channel

For me, I think the app was worth it. I mean, I spent a bunch on a new AVR. Another twenty bucks wasn't much. It would've been nice if they just included the app for free considering how expensive the AVR was, but oh well.
Because a lot of users got around using Audyssey without the App "successfully" adding the App for free would just add some confusion for those who get/got along quite well without it. "For free" would just invite everyone to at least test it... Additionally the Audyssey App was not included in the original offer for the AVRs which could use it. It's sort of a "Feature upgrade".

Not everyone wants to fiddle around with target curves, frequency cut offs, mid frequency compensation etc. if not wanting to get envolved further, which would just add to the confusion which often exists already using room measurement systems.
=> "More options" might sometimes also mean "More options, which could (and sometimes might) go wrong..."
SteveH likes this.
gurkey is offline  
post #293 of 1671 Old 04-17-2017, 10:17 AM - Thread Starter
Mark Henninger
 
imagic's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Philadelphia, PA
Posts: 12,490
Mentioned: 279 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6625 Post(s)
Liked: 11399
First, a profile of what I got without using the app... This is on a 5.2.4 system with the following components: Denon AVR-X4300H, Definitive Technology BP-9060 towers (L/R), Definitive Technology BP-9040 towers (surround). Dual JL F-112 subwoofers handle bass.


No Audyssey EQ




Audyssey Reference




Audyssey Front L/R Bypass




Audyssey Flat




EQ Off (black) versus Audyssey Reference

I'll be back soon...
nathan_h, DS-21, bmcn and 2 others like this.

Mark Henninger, Senior Editor at AVS Forum
imagic is offline  
post #294 of 1671 Old 04-17-2017, 11:05 AM
Member
 
Spidacat's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: North Carolina
Posts: 180
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 126 Post(s)
Liked: 77
Quote:
Originally Posted by bmcn View Post
How did you accomplish this?

Open the App, click "edit" in the upper right corner, select your original curve, then click the upper left icon (like a box with 4 quadrants). It will create a copy with "Copy1" added to the original name.
bmcn and Nordvest22 like this.
Spidacat is offline  
post #295 of 1671 Old 04-17-2017, 11:07 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
bmcn's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2014
Posts: 4,682
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1938 Post(s)
Liked: 2853
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spidacat View Post
Open the App, click "edit" in the upper right corner, select your original curve, then click the upper left icon (like a box with 4 quadrants). It will create a copy with "Copy1" added to the original name.
Thank you.
bmcn is offline  
post #296 of 1671 Old 04-17-2017, 11:10 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
nathan_h's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2001
Location: O.A.S.I.S
Posts: 7,690
Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1644 Post(s)
Liked: 1088
@imagic

seeing the graphs super-imposed together like the final image is very helpful.

it's fascinating how dramatic the improvement in frequency response is below c. 200 hz and how little it matters above that for the FR.

that's a strong argument in favor of using the new app to stop correcting things above c 200hz.

---

i assume you'll do some time domain measurements, too. those will be interesting.

could you remind of us the dimensions of your room? is it sealed? how well treated? these help provide context (like seeing the equipment list you posted it useful.)


Quote:
Originally Posted by imagic View Post

EQ Off (black) versus Audyssey Reference

***
My current setup.
My favorite movie review podcast, the Next Picture Show.
Don't suffer through Gamma D on your JVC. Optimize HDR Tone Mapping using Arve's tool & Masciola's test patterns instead (hints.)

Last edited by nathan_h; 04-17-2017 at 11:14 AM.
nathan_h is online now  
post #297 of 1671 Old 04-17-2017, 11:28 AM - Thread Starter
Mark Henninger
 
imagic's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Philadelphia, PA
Posts: 12,490
Mentioned: 279 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6625 Post(s)
Liked: 11399
Quote:
Originally Posted by nathan_h View Post
@imagic

seeing the graphs super-imposed together like the final image is very helpful.

it's fascinating how dramatic the improvement in frequency response is below c. 200 hz and how little it matters above that for the FR.

that's a strong argument in favor of using the new app to stop correcting things above c 200hz.

---

i assume you'll do some time domain measurements, too. those will be interesting.

could you remind of us the dimensions of your room? is it sealed? how well treated? these help provide context (like seeing the equipment list you posted it useful.)
Sure, it's just a matter of rendering 'em. Here's the same two measurements overlayed... no EQ is red and Reference is blue.


No EQ in red, Audyssey Reference in blue (no app)



Calibrating with app in 5 mins...

Mark Henninger, Senior Editor at AVS Forum
imagic is offline  
post #298 of 1671 Old 04-17-2017, 11:48 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
nathan_h's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2001
Location: O.A.S.I.S
Posts: 7,690
Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1644 Post(s)
Liked: 1088
@imagic

That one is harder to read (but I don't have a good recommendation about how to make it more readable).

But it sort of looks like the pattern of most of the work taking place below 200hz still fits.

So I sort of wonder whether your room dimensions are such that that is the so-called Schroeder frequency, or the transition frequency, is in that region.

***
My current setup.
My favorite movie review podcast, the Next Picture Show.
Don't suffer through Gamma D on your JVC. Optimize HDR Tone Mapping using Arve's tool & Masciola's test patterns instead (hints.)

Last edited by nathan_h; 04-17-2017 at 11:51 AM.
nathan_h is online now  
post #299 of 1671 Old 04-17-2017, 11:49 AM
** Man of Leisure **
 
AustinJerry's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: Austin, Texas
Posts: 16,451
Mentioned: 214 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7739 Post(s)
Liked: 4333
Quote:
Originally Posted by imagic View Post
Sure, it's just a matter of rendering 'em. Here's the same two measurements overlayed... no EQ is red and Reference is blue.


No EQ in red, Audyssey Reference in blue (no app)



Calibrating with app in 5 mins...
Showing the waterfall above ~300Hz provides little useful information, since the waterfall is designed to measure resonance in the modal region.
AustinJerry is online now  
post #300 of 1671 Old 04-17-2017, 11:53 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
nathan_h's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2001
Location: O.A.S.I.S
Posts: 7,690
Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1644 Post(s)
Liked: 1088
Quote:
Originally Posted by AustinJerry View Post
Showing the waterfall above ~300Hz provides little useful information, since the waterfall is designed to measure resonance in the modal region.
I'm still learning: Is there a different measurement or graph that shows time domain stuff above c 300hz in a better or more appropriate way?

***
My current setup.
My favorite movie review podcast, the Next Picture Show.
Don't suffer through Gamma D on your JVC. Optimize HDR Tone Mapping using Arve's tool & Masciola's test patterns instead (hints.)
nathan_h is online now  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

Tags
Audyssey , Denon , Marantz , multeq editor app

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off