MultEQ Editor: New App for Denon & Marantz AV Receivers & Pre/Pros - Page 36 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 657Likes
Reply
 
Thread Tools
post #1051 of 1163 Old 07-23-2017, 11:42 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
gurkey's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Posts: 3,084
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 252 Post(s)
Liked: 148
For most "standard" rooms the Schroeder frequency is around 300 Hz, thus 400 Hz or even 500 Hz should still be fine as an upper frequency limit.
nathan_h and bmcn like this.
gurkey is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #1052 of 1163 Old 07-23-2017, 01:54 PM
Member
 
marco1975's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Posts: 171
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 88 Post(s)
Liked: 60
Quote:
Originally Posted by seanmcd72 View Post
QUESTIONS!?!?!:

1 - do I want to enable or disable the midrange compensation? I don't quite have a grasp on that. What do I listen for??
2 - How do I find the room transition point? And should I focus on doing that and setting this Audyssey app to only EQ from that point and below??
3 - any other tips for getting the most out of this app???
1. The Midrange compensation is an intentional -3db dip in the 2 kHz region , personaly i don,t like it and my speakers sounds better when its disbaled, don,t be afraid to try it for your self and see whether if u prefer it enable or disable.
2. that is realy depend on your specific room, some room has alot of acoustic problem in the upper range and full range EQing will be better then nothing. only actaul in-room response measurment will let u know.
u can check your room Schroederfrequency on this site , just enter your room dimension in the boxes:
http://amroc.andymel.eu
3. allways backup your Audy. calibration
marco1975 is online now  
post #1053 of 1163 Old 07-24-2017, 03:24 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
rec head's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Chicago
Posts: 1,097
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 126 Post(s)
Liked: 95
I just ran the app using the latest version and with my Denon 4300 up to date. It went pretty smoothly for the first time. No measurements done but it sounds good.
bmcn likes this.
rec head is offline  
 
post #1054 of 1163 Old 07-26-2017, 09:33 AM
Newbie
 
Join Date: Jul 2017
Posts: 3
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Hello, I'm choosing between 6300 and 7200wa.
Which room correction system is better Audissey Pro or Audissey plus app?
DolbyVision is offline  
post #1055 of 1163 Old 07-26-2017, 09:47 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member
 
jdsmoothie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Orlando, FL
Posts: 70,460
Mentioned: 360 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 14594 Post(s)
Liked: 6925
Quote:
Originally Posted by DolbyVision View Post
Hello, I'm choosing between 6300 and 7200wa.
Which room correction system is better Audissey Pro or Audissey plus app?
At $700, Audyssey Pro, although note that Audyssey Pro uses whatever version of Audyssey is on board the AVR/AVP, rather it simply allows you to edit the Audyssey curve.
jdsmoothie is offline  
post #1056 of 1163 Old 07-26-2017, 05:49 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
bsoko2's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Olympia, WA
Posts: 4,392
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 75 Post(s)
Liked: 79
OK, my stupid question of the day: How do you delete the app graph from Multieq?
bsoko2 is offline  
post #1057 of 1163 Old 07-26-2017, 06:36 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: California
Posts: 3,011
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 214 Post(s)
Liked: 100
Quote:
Originally Posted by bsoko2 View Post
OK, my stupid question of the day: How do you delete the app graph from Multieq?
I use the iOS app. Not sure if it's the same on Android devices but I assume so. With that said, upper right corner, click on edit. Then, you will see the option to delete it to the trash bin that shows in the upper left corner.
bmcn likes this.
Perpendicular is online now  
post #1058 of 1163 Old 07-26-2017, 08:38 PM
Advanced Member
 
bulls's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: L.A.
Posts: 978
Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 135 Post(s)
Liked: 76
example of app functions

german

chinese? using english iphone app
bulls is online now  
post #1059 of 1163 Old 07-26-2017, 10:57 PM
Member
 
marco1975's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Posts: 171
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 88 Post(s)
Liked: 60
Quote:
Originally Posted by DolbyVision View Post
Hello, I'm choosing between 6300 and 7200wa.
Which room correction system is better Audissey Pro or Audissey plus app?
The Denon 7200WA is a stunning AVR. its a step up from the the 6300 and a better performer then the 6300, i have had it for 2 years in my home theatre, and i couldn't be more happier, and if u are going to audy. pro calibrat it, then u are not missing anything by not having the App.
marco1975 is online now  
post #1060 of 1163 Old 07-26-2017, 11:07 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Marc Alexander's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2001
Location: Inland Empire, CA
Posts: 9,512
Mentioned: 90 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2466 Post(s)
Liked: 2331
Quote:
Originally Posted by marco1975 View Post
The Denon 7200WA is a stunning AVR. its a step up from the the 6300 and a better performer then the 6300, i have had it for 2 years in my home theatre, and i couldn't be more happier, and if u are going to audy. pro calibrat it, then u are not missing anything by not having the App.
You will miss out on the ability to window (not correct above 500Hz for example) with Audyssey Pro vs the app. I would wait until the 6400 and 7400 specs are announced before making any decisions.
Marc Alexander is online now  
post #1061 of 1163 Old 07-26-2017, 11:35 PM
Member
 
marco1975's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Posts: 171
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 88 Post(s)
Liked: 60
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marc Alexander View Post
You will miss out on the ability to window (not correct above 500Hz for example) with Audyssey Pro vs the app. I would wait until the 6400 and 7400 specs are announced before making any decisions.
right marc , but then again he will be missing the freedom of XO option prior to cal. and more importantly a robust calibrated mic. .
i agree with u , it would be best if he can wait until the spec. for the new AVR. line announced
marco1975 is online now  
post #1062 of 1163 Old 07-27-2017, 12:28 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
gurkey's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Posts: 3,084
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 252 Post(s)
Liked: 148
First of all Audyssey "Pro", which is called the installer version, is no longer available from Audyssey, its gone for sure since last year as a matter of fact. Audyssey is no longer selling it and newer AVRs not even support it any more.
The graphical corrections, which could be made with it, were very limited in range. Although being only a special version of the current XT32 it did cost a lot more due to the fact that is was only selling in rather limited numbers.
The new Audyssey MultEQ Editor App might not be bug free yet, but is much more variable and powerful, although much cheaper, considering what it can do. Audyssey has planned it / describes it as an replacement for the former Audyssey Pro. They do not supply the better microphone yet, which came with the Pro version, but the CTO of Audyssey, Chris Kyriakakis mentioned on Facebook, that this might come later-on as a hardware add-on for the Audyssey app.
nathan_h likes this.
gurkey is offline  
post #1063 of 1163 Old 07-28-2017, 01:28 AM
Member
 
marco1975's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Posts: 171
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 88 Post(s)
Liked: 60
Quote:
Originally Posted by gurkey View Post
First of all Audyssey "Pro", which is called the installer version, is no longer available from Audyssey, its gone for sure since last year as a matter of fact. Audyssey is no longer selling it and newer AVRs not even support it any more.
The graphical corrections, which could be made with it, were very limited in range. Although being only a special version of the current XT32 it did cost a lot more due to the fact that is was only selling in rather limited numbers.
The new Audyssey MultEQ Editor App might not be bug free yet, but is much more variable and powerful, although much cheaper, considering what it can do. Audyssey has planned it / describes it as an replacement for the former Audyssey Pro. They do not supply the better microphone yet, which came with the Pro version, but the CTO of Audyssey, Chris Kyriakakis mentioned on Facebook, that this might come later-on as a hardware add-on for the Audyssey app.
Well Actually at the time being, you can still make an amazing deal and save alot of money if u interrested in buying the (Audyssey pro kit) as rest in stock product and used one, and even if you dont want to buy the kit, u can still hire an installer/calibrator to do the job, so its not all over yet , and as the way the App its at the moment, personaly i will take the audy. pro kit in a heartbeat
marco1975 is online now  
post #1064 of 1163 Old 07-28-2017, 06:10 AM
Advanced Member
 
drh3b's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2017
Location: Saint Louis, MO
Posts: 804
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 400 Post(s)
Liked: 382
Quote:
Originally Posted by marco1975 View Post
Well Actually at the time being, you can still make an amazing deal and save alot of money if u interrested in buying the (Audyssey pro kit) as rest in stock product and used one, and even if you dont want to buy the kit, u can still hire an installer/calibrator to do the job, so its not all over yet , and as the way the App its at the moment, personaly i will take the audy. pro kit in a heartbeat
Where?
drh3b is offline  
post #1065 of 1163 Old 07-28-2017, 09:17 AM
Member
 
marco1975's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Posts: 171
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 88 Post(s)
Liked: 60
Quote:
Originally Posted by drh3b View Post
Where?
Keep an eye on ebay and in the used market , u should be able to make some very good dea, other wise google is a good place to start your search.
i know here in europe we have a few for sale.
drh3b likes this.
marco1975 is online now  
post #1066 of 1163 Old 07-30-2017, 02:43 PM
Member
 
AVRams's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Posts: 61
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Liked: 15
I think I remember a AVS member here promise a review of the App....?? ☺
Anybody seen a good review, with measurements, somewhere?
AVRams is offline  
post #1067 of 1163 Old 07-30-2017, 02:59 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Marc Alexander's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2001
Location: Inland Empire, CA
Posts: 9,512
Mentioned: 90 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2466 Post(s)
Liked: 2331
Quote:
Originally Posted by AVRams View Post
I think I remember a AVS member here promise a review of the App....?? ☺
Anybody seen a good review, with measurements, somewhere?
@imagic

Last edited by Marc Alexander; 07-31-2017 at 09:06 AM.
Marc Alexander is online now  
post #1068 of 1163 Old 07-30-2017, 05:14 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
muad'dib's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Posts: 1,117
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 208 Post(s)
Liked: 55
I've been out of the loop for this app..

Question..

If someone likes the flat curve, with no high end roll off, but wants to turn off the mid range compensation option, can this app do this...

After you upload the new curve to receiver , what and where is it stored under.. (is it set in FLAT setting or reference) etc.. Inside stereo eq options..

Thanks

Sent from my LG-H831 using Tapatalk
muad'dib is offline  
post #1069 of 1163 Old 07-30-2017, 05:24 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: California
Posts: 3,011
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 214 Post(s)
Liked: 100
Yes. You can turn off the Midrange Compensation within the app. This is what I do and it will effect both flat and reference settings.

Not sure if the results can be seen via the receiver. Unless, you can make out the graph for Audyssey under Equalizers, it's better seen on the graphs within the app itself.
Perpendicular is online now  
post #1070 of 1163 Old 07-30-2017, 05:44 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
primetimeguy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Rosemount, MN
Posts: 4,553
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 595 Post(s)
Liked: 368
Quote:
Originally Posted by muad'dib View Post
I've been out of the loop for this app..

Question..

If someone likes the flat curve, with no high end roll off, but wants to turn off the mid range compensation option, can this app do this...

After you upload the new curve to receiver , what and where is it stored under.. (is it set in FLAT setting or reference) etc.. Inside stereo eq options..

Thanks

Sent from my LG-H831 using Tapatalk
Most receivers do not have midrange compensation with the flat curve already.
primetimeguy is online now  
post #1071 of 1163 Old 07-30-2017, 06:13 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
muad'dib's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Posts: 1,117
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 208 Post(s)
Liked: 55
Quote:
Originally Posted by Perpendicular View Post
Yes. You can turn off the Midrange Compensation within the app. This is what I do and it will effect both flat and reference settings.

Not sure if the results can be seen via the receiver. Unless, you can make out the graph for Audyssey under Equalizers, it's better seen on the graphs within the app itself.
Cool..
So to confirm..

With app, we still have FLAT curve (no high end roll off) as an option?

And also ability as you said to turn off mid comp..

Thanks

If you do change the curve, which eq curve in Marantz would I select to use the custom curve..
Thanks

Sent from my LG-H831 using Tapatalk
muad'dib is offline  
post #1072 of 1163 Old 07-30-2017, 06:31 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: California
Posts: 3,011
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 214 Post(s)
Liked: 100
Yes and yes.

If you choose either Flat or Reference, you still get the midrange compensation. From what I understand, the high end roll-off only occurs when Reference is selected in the receiver settings.
Perpendicular is online now  
post #1073 of 1163 Old 07-30-2017, 07:42 PM
Member
 
midblue's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Location: Wilmington, MA
Posts: 125
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked: 14
If I adjust the frequency filter cutoff to 500hz using the app, is there any difference between the "flat" and "reference" settings on the receiver?

Sony VPL-HW40ES projector || Denon AVR-X3300W receiver || Outlaw Model 7700 amp || B&W CM10 S2 (front) || B&W CMC2 S2 (center) || B&W CWM 7.4 (surround) || B&W CM5 S2 (surround back) || B&W CCM683 x4 (Atmos) || HSU VTF-3 MK5 subwoofer x2
midblue is offline  
post #1074 of 1163 Old 07-31-2017, 08:51 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
bmcn's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2014
Posts: 4,312
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1796 Post(s)
Liked: 2647
Quote:
Originally Posted by midblue View Post
If I adjust the frequency filter cutoff to 500hz using the app, is there any difference between the "flat" and "reference" settings on the receiver?
Afaik, differences between the two presets are in ranges >500 Hz.
bmcn is offline  
post #1075 of 1163 Old 07-31-2017, 08:53 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
bmcn's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2014
Posts: 4,312
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1796 Post(s)
Liked: 2647
[quote=Marc Alexander;54555992]
Quote:
Originally Posted by AVRams View Post
I think I remember a AVS member here promise a review of the App....?? ☺
Anybody seen a good review, with measurements, somewhere?[/quote @imagic
Disappointed the Audy-Dirac comparo was apparently abandoned.
bmcn is offline  
post #1076 of 1163 Old 08-04-2017, 09:06 AM
Newbie
 
masaba's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Posts: 10
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 1
Hi,

I'm considering buying a Marantz AV7703 (or possible the upcoming AV7704) and have some basic questions that I'm sure a few of you can easily answer.

I've seen that a lot of you are getting better results with the AVR compared to the APP. I would have assumed that the same calculation algorithms are used regardsless but obviously this isn't the case.

Would you say that the results from the APP has improved as the app has been updated?

With the app, you still use the regular Audyssey Mic connected to the AVR, right?

Is the app stable (not crashing that is) on iOS?

Thanks.

/M
masaba is online now  
post #1077 of 1163 Old 08-04-2017, 09:46 AM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2016
Posts: 335
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 329 Post(s)
Liked: 107
Quote:
Originally Posted by masaba View Post
Hi,

I'm considering buying a Marantz AV7703 (or possible the upcoming AV7704) and have some basic questions that I'm sure a few of you can easily answer.

I've seen that a lot of you are getting better results with the AVR compared to the APP. I would have assumed that the same calculation algorithms are used regardsless but obviously this isn't the case.

Would you say that the results from the APP has improved as the app has been updated?

With the app, you still use the regular Audyssey Mic connected to the AVR, right?

Is the app stable (not crashing that is) on iOS?

Thanks.

/M
The app is stable on iOS. I never had many problems with crashing. Mostly I would just lose my connection to the receiver and have to start over with calibration procedure. However, the last time I used it, it worked great.

I would say the app improves with each release but that it still has a few issues that prevent it from being used extensively.

1) It has a fixed roll-off of frequencies below 20hz. Many like myself don't want that because our systems are capable of delivering clean sound below 20hz.

2) The editing of target curves is fairly crude and needs to be more accurate. This isn't a deal killer just an inconvenience.

As for your question of if the app uses the came algorithms for correction, I don't think anyone can answer that. Only the programers and designers know what they use and it is proprietary.

The app will probably just get better over time and is a nice option to have but not essential. Regular AVR MultiEQ works pretty well and if you need anything more, then there are lots of third party options.

Yes, the mic that is included with the AVR is what you use for the app as well.
GregCh is offline  
post #1078 of 1163 Old 08-04-2017, 10:02 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
bmcn's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2014
Posts: 4,312
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1796 Post(s)
Liked: 2647
Quote:
Originally Posted by GregCh View Post
The app is stable on iOS. I never had many problems with crashing. Mostly I would just lose my connection to the receiver and have to start over with calibration procedure. However, the last time I used it, it worked great.

I would say the app improves with each release but that it still has a few issues that prevent it from being used extensively.

1) It has a fixed roll-off of frequencies below 20hz. Many like myself don't want that because our systems are capable of delivering clean sound below 20hz.

2) The editing of target curves is fairly crude and needs to be more accurate. This isn't a deal killer just an inconvenience.

As for your question of if the app uses the came algorithms for correction, I don't think anyone can answer that. Only the programers and designers know what they use and it is proprietary.

The app will probably just get better over time and is a nice option to have but not essential. Regular AVR MultiEQ works pretty well and if you need anything more, then there are lots of third party options.

Yes, the mic that is included with the AVR is what you use for the app as well.
The app runs flawlessly on my Android tablet. Any evidence to support your first claim? Others have posted in room measurements that show no <20 Hz rolloff. Agree with 2).
bmcn is offline  
post #1079 of 1163 Old 08-06-2017, 10:10 PM
Newbie
 
masaba's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Posts: 10
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 1
Hi,

In the videos of the app, the curve editor has allowed different curves for front and center, but in some cases it would be nice to just create/edit the curve once and then copy it to other channels as well.

Is this possible?

Also wondering if it's possible to re-use measurements? For instance to do a full proper measurement and then have two profiles with different EQ profiles.

Thanks.
masaba is online now  
post #1080 of 1163 Old 08-07-2017, 12:04 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
gurkey's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Posts: 3,084
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 252 Post(s)
Liked: 148
Re-use of measurements is possible, but you have to copy the measurement data under a different name on your smartphone and then modify it. For use download it then to the AVR.
Individual speaker data can't be copied because every measurement has to be done as a whole and saved as such.
bigapp likes this.

Last edited by gurkey; 08-07-2017 at 02:00 AM.
gurkey is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

Tags
Audyssey , Denon , Marantz , multeq editor app

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off