Old Newb Needs help.. - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
post #1 of 6 Unread 04-20-2017, 04:42 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Old Newb Needs help..

What's up guys. I use to be a fairly savvy audio geek, but about 3-4 years ago I ended up parting with my beloved system to help pay medical bills for my then sick new born. Things are good again, and I'm ready to start rebuilding my Home Theater. I have not kept up with current trends, and I feel pretty out of touch with today's updated technology (wtf is atmos? Lol).

I'm looking to stay in the 1500 range for my speaker/AVR. Right now I'm considering getting the RLS CG3 5.1 OR The SVS prime 5.1 for my speakers, leaving about $500 for my amp/receiver.

In the past I always used accessories for less to get great deals on my AVRs, and I'll probably use them again this time as well.

So I need help in deciding what I really need and what I really don't, when it comes to the receiver. I wouldn't mind getting a older model in order to get more bang for my buck. So this is where you guys come in. I'm posting a link to the receivers listed at accessories for less in my price range, and I would love it if you guys helped steer me in the right direction. Is Atoms something I should care about? Should I be concerned with 4k? (I will most likely be buying a 4k TV, but have not really made a decision in the TV dept just yet).

Also if you have any opinions on the RLS or SVS speakers on which is the better value, please chime in. 1k is my speaker budget, but could push it a little if it's worth it.

Help me out guys! Refurbished isn't an issue, and older tech is great if I'll get a better value in a older set up. Thanks! And..... GO!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 Unread 04-20-2017, 04:45 PM - Thread Starter

I meant $1500 total for speakers and receiver combined. Couldn't figure how to edit, so just clarifying here lol. I can go over a little, if justified, but less likely to be murdered by my wife if I stay in 1500 range
post #3 of 6 Unread 04-20-2017, 04:48 PM - Thread Starter

****.. Forgot the link! Lol.
http://www.accessories4less.com/make...ml?store_price[]=0-631

post #4 of 6 Unread 04-20-2017, 05:59 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 694 Post(s)
Liked: 357
Welcome back & most important hope your child is much better now!!

Regarding AVRs, many of us recommend AC4L, great prices + comes with OEM warranty, I have purchased past 2 years three AVRs from them for different set-ups. Atmos is great if you can run speaker wire & install at least 2 in-ceiling speakers. Most AVRs come with Atmos & DTS:X now even in lower price ranges.

Speaker wise RSL & EMP both have many happy owners here. Only you can decide what sound you prefer & can afford. There are many good budget speaker lines now. Search the speaker forum for many compares. Sub is also very important especially for movies. Decent budget sounds usually start in $299-399 range but same say there are a few decent subs like I think Dayton in the $199 range.

Hope this helps a little to at least get started. And 4K pass through would be good but not critical if you run the source video feed directly to your 4K TV and run the audio through your AVR. Good luck!!
post #5 of 6 Unread Yesterday, 10:24 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 43 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2663 Post(s)
Liked: 1627
Quote:
Originally Posted by Teddy Graham View Post
What's up guys. I use to be a fairly savvy audio geek, but about 3-4 years ago I ended up parting with my beloved system to help pay medical bills for my then sick new born. Things are good again, and I'm ready to start rebuilding my Home Theater. I have not kept up with current trends, and I feel pretty out of touch with today's updated technology (wtf is atmos? Lol).

I'm looking to stay in the 1500 range for my speaker/AVR. Right now I'm considering getting the RLS CG3 5.1 OR The SVS prime 5.1 for my speakers, leaving about $500 for my amp/receiver.

In the past I always used accessories for less to get great deals on my AVRs, and I'll probably use them again this time as well.

So I need help in deciding what I really need and what I really don't, when it comes to the receiver. I wouldn't mind getting a older model in order to get more bang for my buck. So this is where you guys come in. I'm posting a link to the receivers listed at accessories for less in my price range, and I would love it if you guys helped steer me in the right direction. Is Atoms something I should care about? Should I be concerned with 4k? (I will most likely be buying a 4k TV, but have not really made a decision in the TV dept just yet).

Also if you have any opinions on the RLS or SVS speakers on which is the better value, please chime in. 1k is my speaker budget, but could push it a little if it's worth it.

Help me out guys! Refurbished isn't an issue, and older tech is great if I'll get a better value in a older set up. Thanks! And..... GO!
To me the RSL sub is better than the sealed SB1000 sub but the RSL package has 4" drivers in the speakers which is a bit on the tiny side IMHO.

I'd get the HSU Hybrid 1 package as all the speakers have 6.5" drivers and play loud and clear with little power and the sub has flat frequency response and is capable of playing louder and as low as either the RSL or SVS sub.

http://www.hsuresearch.com/products/hybrid1pkg.html

Geoff A. J., California
post #6 of 6 Unread Today, 07:00 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 904 Post(s)
Liked: 415
Send a message via Yahoo to ChromeJob Send a message via Skype™ to ChromeJob
You can re-edit a message by going clicking edit, perhaps going to the advanced editor. In Tapatalk, tap your message find the edit link or "pencil" icon.

“Phil? Phil Connors?!”
Are ya new here? Please read FAQs and forum stickies. Like posts that help you. Don't ask a question and then disappear.
A: Yamaha RX-V775. Bose 401 mains, 301 Series III surrounds, Yamaha NS-C444 center, Hsu VTF-2 Mk4.
V: Samsung UN40ES6150, Panasonic DMP-BDT215, Yamaha DVD-S550. Apple TV 4gen. Chromecast 1gen.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors