Pioneer receiver dead. Need 4K HDR Replacement - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 15Likes

post #1 of 67 Old 05-03-2017, 07:38 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Pioneer receiver dead. Need 4K HDR Replacement

Hi all,

My old trusty Pioneer VSX-1121 died. I have no idea why but all of the HDMI ports just popped out. Nothing works at all.

As luck would have it I just got a shiny new Vizio P75 4K HDR TV so it was in my mind to upgrade anyway.

Since I'll be matching the receiver with the TV I would want the receiver to handle 4K HDR. I understand that the Yamaha RX-V681BL just got a firmware update to support Dolby Vision.

I only have a 5.1 set up.

Is that the receiver to get? Is there another alternative I should consider? I do not stay on top of receivers at all and would love some direction/advice. Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 67 Old 05-04-2017, 12:08 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Quoted: 1435 Post(s)
Liked: 982
If you want a Yamaha and have a Costco membership look for the TSR-7810 which is under $500. Same as RX-V781 so better than 681.

https://www.costco.com/Yamaha-TSR-78...100308760.html
GrantMeThePower likes this.

Afro GT
post #3 of 67 Old 05-04-2017, 12:39 AM

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by afrogt View Post
If you want a Yamaha and have a Costco membership look for the TSR-7810 which is under $500. Same as RX-V781 so better than 681.

Hey thanks for the heads up, my Denon just went out as well.

EDIT

On second thought, wouldn't this Aventage be a better option for $349?

EDIT 2:

Nevermind I see the differences, ironically noted by you last month. Thanks again

Last edited by denze; 05-04-2017 at 12:47 AM.

post #4 of 67 Old 05-04-2017, 07:35 AM

Quoted: 32 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by GrantMeThePower View Post
I understand that the Yamaha RX-V681BL just got a firmware update to support Dolby Vision.
The Dolby Vision update has not gone out yet, Yamaha says "later in 2017". Just an FYI...
post #5 of 67 Old 05-04-2017, 08:32 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by afrogt View Post

Thanks for that! I am a costco member. Do we know for sure if it will get the update to Dolby Vision? I saw the press release specified the other receivers.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SinGA View Post
The Dolby Vision update has not gone out yet, Yamaha says "later in 2017". Just an FYI...
Ahh...good to know! Shouldn't be a problem now but knowing that will save me hours of frustration figuring out what was wrong lol
SinGA likes this.
post #6 of 67 Old 05-04-2017, 08:59 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 467 Post(s)
Liked: 142
One thing to note is costco's great performance guarantee. If it does not work to your satisfaction, you can return it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
post #7 of 67 Old 05-04-2017, 09:13 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 919 Post(s)
Liked: 275
Pioneer 1121 was a nice sounding avr with decent power. Was about 30lbs.

If you want something similar go for Yamaha 1060. Can be found got $700-800.

Or go onkyo. Like rz810.

You'll get Dolby vision on both and they have great sound quality.

If you go down to 681 or 781 it'll be fine but it'll be a downgrade.

I have a Yamaha 850 in the kids game room and it isn't bad at all. Just more basic eq and LOW on power. It works fine though and works great with 65" js9000 Samsung. Never had an issue.

Your on the right track though. Pioneer 1121 was a forward sounding exciting avr. Yamaha and onkyo will be as well. Denon/marantz will have more veiled laid back sound.

Last thing. I just saw a open box integra drx5 go for $500 on eBay from authorized dealer. I think it was wide world stereo. Another good one
GrantMeThePower and denze like this.
post #8 of 67 Old 05-04-2017, 10:54 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Timothy1180 View Post
Pioneer 1121 was a nice sounding avr with decent power. Was about 30lbs.

If you want something similar go for Yamaha 1060. Can be found got $700-800.

Or go onkyo. Like rz810.

You'll get Dolby vision on both and they have great sound quality.

If you go down to 681 or 781 it'll be fine but it'll be a downgrade.

I have a Yamaha 850 in the kids game room and it isn't bad at all. Just more basic eq and LOW on power. It works fine though and works great with 65" js9000 Samsung. Never had an issue.

Your on the right track though. Pioneer 1121 was a forward sounding exciting avr. Yamaha and onkyo will be as well. Denon/marantz will have more veiled laid back sound.

Last thing. I just saw a open box integra drx5 go for $500 on eBay from authorized dealer. I think it was wide world stereo. Another good one
Thanks for the input. Since buying the Pioneer, I moved and changed how we use the receiver. We really are using it exclusively for TV and movies and not so much for music anymore. I was thinking I could dial back the power on this one.

I didn't realize that Onkyo was offering Dolby Vision also. That opens a whole other set of options I guess haha.

Is there much of a consensus on the boards between the mid-tier Yamahas vs Onkyos?
post #9 of 67 Old 05-04-2017, 11:22 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 118 Post(s)
Liked: 89
Quote:
Thanks for the input. Since buying the Pioneer, I moved and changed how we use the receiver. We really are using it exclusively for TV and movies and not so much for music anymore. I was thinking I could dial back the power on this one.

I didn't realize that Onkyo was offering Dolby Vision also. That opens a whole other set of options I guess haha.

Is there much of a consensus on the boards between the mid-tier Yamahas vs Onkyos?
People will tell you not to get onkyo due to there issues. I'd tell you to go with Yamaha all the way. I had an onkyo rz810 not to long ago and the hdmi board failed within a week. Sent it back and haven't looked back since.
post #10 of 67 Old 05-04-2017, 11:25 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by joe801 View Post
People will tell you not to get onkyo due to there issues. I'd tell you to go with Yamaha all the way. I had an onkyo rz810 not to long ago and the hdmi board failed within a week. Sent it back and haven't looked back since.
Thanks, Joe.

I'm doing more research now and seeing that Yamaha has a couple new models coming out that support the DV standard (RX-V683).

But I see that Denon also has a similar one-AVRS730H

How about Denon vs Yamaha? Is Yamaha still the champ in that battle?
post #11 of 67 Old 05-04-2017, 11:51 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

I wouldn't dismiss onkyo so easily. By far best sound quality if eq is done right. A lot of people complain about hdmi boards going out but I've had more hdmi issues with denon and marantz.

Yamaha I've only ever had one issue. Coming from a pioneer denon will sound boring. Like tweeters aren't working right.

A lot of people have said their onkyo broke and never even owned one. Has become a popular statement. Onkyo is the only company that extended warranty to fix all these broken receivers. Denon wouldn't fix my 4520 one week out of warranty for a common problem with channels going out. Which they fixed 3 times already.

I bought a integra 60.5 used for a great deal on eBay used. It came broken. Wouldn't even turn on. So I sent to integra. They looked at it and said it'll cost more than it's worth to fix. I was bummed out. I just lost $400. Than he said they feel bad and will give me a $600 visa gift card. They even new I was the second owner. No warranty at all. Integra is known for this. They are incredible. So customer service is top notch with onkyo/integra.

Yamaha is still a great company as well and they are the most reliable. A lot of onkyo owners go back and forth to Yamaha. Onkyo over the years has been the best avr for movies. Some people don't like how they dropped audyssey. They dropped audyssey for a few reasons but one big one was it now sounds better. I've had onkyo 5009, 3010,818, 929. All with xt32. The rz900 easily wins against all those. All eq has been done manually with external eq.

I tried the denon 4520,4311,4000,5200,7200,6300. All of them sounded worse than all the onkyo I mentioned.
Yamaha don't sound a lot different than the onkyo. Just a little less exciting.

I've tried many pioneer as well. Which pioneer made the best avr in the world for a stretch sc05,07,09-sc68 era. Newer pioneer might be better. I never owned new901. But sc89,99 were laid back and less exciting.

Your pioneer comes from that 2011 generation. Like vsx52 and sc57 range. That year was the peak of pioneer.

Enough of me rambling on. Onkyo/integra and Yamaha are great to me. Pioneer would be next choice. Than Anthem. Than Sony es. Than marantz. Than denon.
post #12 of 67 Old 05-04-2017, 12:15 PM

Quote:
I wouldn't dismiss onkyo so easily. By far best sound quality if eq is done right. A lot of people complain about hdmi boards going out but I've had more hdmi issues with denon and marantz.

Yamaha I've only ever had one issue. Coming from a pioneer denon will sound boring. Like tweeters aren't working right.

A lot of people have said their onkyo broke and never even owned one. Has become a popular statement. Onkyo is the only company that extended warranty to fix all these broken receivers. Denon wouldn't fix my 4520 one week out of warranty for a common problem with channels going out. Which they fixed 3 times already.

I bought a integra 60.5 used for a great deal on eBay used. It came broken. Wouldn't even turn on. So I sent to integra. They looked at it and said it'll cost more than it's worth to fix. I was bummed out. I just lost $400. Than he said they feel bad and will give me a $600 visa gift card. They even new I was the second owner. No warranty at all. Integra is known for this. They are incredible. So customer service is top notch with onkyo/integra.

Yamaha is still a great company as well and they are the most reliable. A lot of onkyo owners go back and forth to Yamaha. Onkyo over the years has been the best avr for movies. Some people don't like how they dropped audyssey. They dropped audyssey for a few reasons but one big one was it now sounds better. I've had onkyo 5009, 3010,818, 929. All with xt32. The rz900 easily wins against all those. All eq has been done manually with external eq.

I tried the denon 4520,4311,4000,5200,7200,6300. All of them sounded worse than all the onkyo I mentioned.
Yamaha don't sound a lot different than the onkyo. Just a little less exciting.

I've tried many pioneer as well. Which pioneer made the best avr in the world for a stretch sc05,07,09-sc68 era. Newer pioneer might be better. I never owned new901. But sc89,99 were laid back and less exciting.

Your pioneer comes from that 2011 generation. Like vsx52 and sc57 range. That year was the peak of pioneer.

Enough of me rambling on. Onkyo/integra and Yamaha are great to me. Pioneer would be next choice. Than Anthem. Than Sony es. Than marantz. Than denon.
Onkyo having the best sound when eq right is subjective. Any receiver for the right task and eq right will sound best.
post #13 of 67 Old 05-04-2017, 12:31 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Just some receivers have a different sound and can't achieve same thing.

But yeah I agree with you can make about any good avr sound good. It's something different though to have great sound.

To make a denon sound great you have to turn off all audyssey settings and do a entire re eq. Than you have way less power and not same quality dacs.

Is interesting though that Denon and marantz have gone to new akm dacs just like onkyo. To get same dac that a $350 onkyo costs you need denon 4200 and up or marantz 6010 or up. Even than the marantz 7010 and denon 7200 are only ones with 32 bit versions. Which almost all onkyo/integra have 32 bit akm dacs at 384. All audyssey receivers can't exceed 32/192. Which gets worse when audyssey is engaged. Don't remember the exact number but quality gets cut in half.

Power
1. Onkyo/integra/pioneer
Dac
1. Onkyo/integra
Reliability
1. Yamaha
Eq
1. Newest Yamaha
Style
Up to you

Ess dacs are also very good. Which pio and Yamaha use.

Look at new oppo. Had burr brown than went to ess. Now akm. Also oppo used same video processing as pioneer/onkyo/integra

Good luck to the op on finding what fits you best.
post #14 of 67 Old 05-04-2017, 01:11 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 232 Post(s)
Liked: 240
Quote:
Thanks, Joe.

I'm doing more research now and seeing that Yamaha has a couple new models coming out that support the DV standard (RX-V683).

But I see that Denon also has a similar one-AVRS730H

How about Denon vs Yamaha? Is Yamaha still the champ in that battle?
Between those two I would go for the Yamaha. Has been #1 for a long time and for a reason. Reliability,longevity,ease of use and plenty of features. Many will tell you about Audyssey being superior to YPAO. But if you compare the different versions of Audyssey to the equal version of YPAO you will be hard pressed to tell the difference. The Yamaha TSR-7810 recommended in an earlier post would be an excellent choice. I don't recommend Onkyo and haven't for several years. Too many problems with HDMI boards and them and Pioneer are the only brands on this forum with "stickies" concerning their problems. So read those before purchasing from Onkyo or Pioneer. They are not what they use to be at this time. Maybe soon they will get back to building quality AVR's. I hope so.
post #15 of 67 Old 05-04-2017, 01:23 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Just wanted to thank everyone here again for all the help. Really appreciate it
post #16 of 67 Old 05-04-2017, 02:09 PM

Quoted: 156 Post(s)
Liked: 85
Quote:

I would rank Sony ES last. They might sound good (never owned one), but you get more features for your money with the other brands..what I don't like about Sony ES....even the new ones that just came out (e.g. STR-ZA1100ES):

1. Network functions require a wired connection to your router- Really? Can't access network functions over wifi?
2. No Phono input- Minor gripe, as not many people play records anymore, but for the price of the ES, other brands include a phono input
3. Front-panel USB port for firmware updates and backing up receiver settings (no audio or video playback capability)- Really? I can't plug in a portable music player in the front (IPOD, MP3) and play music? Very odd....
4. no Airplay, Spotify or any other music services
5. NO WIFI OR BLUETOOTH------This is the real killer for me.....maybe someone can confirm, but I can't find wifi or bluetooth in the owners manual of the new STR-ZA1100ES......that's insane....however, previous ES models also didn't have wifi or bluetooth...

These may seem like minor gripes, but if you're forking over ~$1,000 for the new STR-ZA1100ES, you can do better feature wise with the other brands.
post #17 of 67 Old 05-04-2017, 02:32 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Sony does need to add some features for sure. They do sound really good though. Most of the Sony avrs had wifi though. Haven't looked at that model.

I'd never buy a Sony es though. Why would you when you can get onkyo. Integra. Yamaha. Pioneer. Better options out there. But the Sony es do sound better to me than denon. Sound is very important to me.

A lot of receivers that have come out people think are really excellent. Like anthem 1120. It's not bad for a 1500$ receiver. At $3000 it's a joke. Sony es is similar. They have $2000-3000 avr that you think to yourself really why????

If you go to a hifi store and listen to integra. Arcam. Nad. Sony es. Pioneer elite. Anthem. you'll see they all share one trait. Detailed and precise. The 3 hifi stores in my town laugh like jerks if you bring up denon. Marantz. Onkyo. Yamaha.

Yamaha 3060 blows the anthem 1120 away. Onkyo rz3100 is a integra r1. Pioneer elite 901 is a lower quality rz3100. Lol

Marantz and denon did something smart. They made higher end denons worse. They knew for years that marantz 7005,7007,7008 was just cheaper denon 3311, 3313, x4000. Denon 4520 was a huge upgrade over marantz 7007. They were about same price. So now denon 6300 and marantz 7011 are about same price and are little 30lb receivers. If denon makes a 45lb avr again with high quality components I'll buy it.

Dei will keep making these cheaper receivers until we've had enough.
post #18 of 67 Old 05-04-2017, 04:34 PM

Quote:
Sony does need to add some features for sure. They do sound really good though. Most of the Sony avrs had wifi though. Haven't looked at that model.

I'd never buy a Sony es though. Why would you when you can get onkyo. Integra. Yamaha. Pioneer. Better options out there. But the Sony es do sound better to me than denon. Sound is very important to me.

A lot of receivers that have come out people think are really excellent. Like anthem 1120. It's not bad for a 1500$ receiver. At $3000 it's a joke. Sony es is similar. They have $2000-3000 avr that you think to yourself really why????

If you go to a hifi store and listen to integra. Arcam. Nad. Sony es. Pioneer elite. Anthem. you'll see they all share one trait. Detailed and precise. The 3 hifi stores in my town laugh like jerks if you bring up denon. Marantz. Onkyo. Yamaha.

Yamaha 3060 blows the anthem 1120 away. Onkyo rz3100 is a integra r1. Pioneer elite 901 is a lower quality rz3100. Lol

Marantz and denon did something smart. They made higher end denons worse. They knew for years that marantz 7005,7007,7008 was just cheaper denon 3311, 3313, x4000. Denon 4520 was a huge upgrade over marantz 7007. They were about same price. So now denon 6300 and marantz 7011 are about same price and are little 30lb receivers. If denon makes a 45lb avr again with high quality components I'll buy it.

Dei will keep making these cheaper receivers until we've had enough.
what about Onkyo? When will they start using higher quality parts? But you continue to rave about them. Most hifi stores that are open nowadays are all higher end equipment. They'll tell you their $6000 sub sounds better then $2500 ID sub.
post #19 of 67 Old 05-04-2017, 04:49 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Onkyo internals are very good. If read what said about Yamaha 3060 blowing anthem away.

My hi stores are really cool. I brought my Psa xv30fse in for them to play with. They already knew about all the ID companies. They agreed it was just as good as any of their subs if not better. A few of those 5000-10000 subs are really good. Just overpriced.

Most people rant about how bad onkyos are but haven't owned one it years. The new rz is incredible. The closest sound you'll get to separates. The denon 7200 sounds like a good receiver.

Same thing with the pioneer elite line 4 years ago. People were dumping amps and pre amps. Pioneer was that good. Now this ue22 error has come up has made those older lines tainted. Even know it takes thousands of hours before code usually pops up.

The pioneer/onkyo merger has helped both companies. I just wish onkyo kept their a/b amps. Or they kept the bigger d3 amp that was in older pioneer. For example the pio 801 and rz1100 has smaller amp or power than sc95. Sc85. Sc75. Sc1523. And so on. Rz900 is much more powerful than rz1100.

But the d3 amps are still much more powerful than all the other brands
post #20 of 67 Old 05-04-2017, 05:26 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 232 Post(s)
Liked: 240
^^^Don't have to knock Onkyo/Pioneer at this time. Their owners are doing it for us. Read the threads. I have owned Onkyo's before but that was when they were worth having. Right now that is not the case. As for the Yamaha 3060 being as good as the Anthem 1120 that would be another topic altogether. I'm sure Anthem owners would dispute that claim. Sony ES you have got to be kidding right. Too much money for nothing. They shouldn't be in the conversation. Same goes for the Pioneers as for the Onkyo's it's your statement not mine. That being four years ago people dumping separates to buy Pioneers. They were doing the same for Onkyo's at that time. Not today. As I've stated in other post with the current status of Onkyo/Integra/Pioneer it should come with a buyer beware asterisk.
post #21 of 67 Old 05-04-2017, 08:10 PM

Quoted: 156 Post(s)
Quote:
I'm not sure why Sony doesn't include the basics in their ES models when these features can be found in their lesser models...just baffles me really.
post #22 of 67 Old 05-04-2017, 08:24 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

It has become a popular theme on avs trashing onkyo. I see that often too. People make ridiculous comments like I just got onkyo rz1100 and hdmi board went out. Onkyo wouldn't fix it so I threw it away. Pioneer models from 2015 on have exactly the same boards. Their all fine. Hmmmm. Seems like I think there is a conspiracy. Lol

All joking aside onkyo from 2008-2011 had a bunch of issues. Now they are fine. Have been for years.

Strange reverse stereotype in America. Ford built crappy cars in 90's and Honda built good ones. Now Honda builds crappy cars and ford builds great cars. Still people think Honda is better. Ford has been better for over a decade. People love supporting an idea instead of actually trying and learning. To many people go through life not even knowing what's better unless their told.

Yes Honda and Toyota are so far behind American car manufacturers it's not even funny!!!

Before anyone thinks of arguing that with me I was a GSM for Honda, Toyota, Audi and ford/Lincoln for 17years.
post #23 of 67 Old 05-04-2017, 09:02 PM

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 254 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Sounds like we've got an Onkyo employee in this thread . I had an Onkyo years ago - great sound but the HDMI fell apart - this is like 2009 or whatever and it seems to everyone that Onkyo still has REAL issues.
post #24 of 67 Old 05-04-2017, 09:30 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MeanMachine View Post
Sounds like we've got an Onkyo employee in this thread . I had an Onkyo years ago - great sound but the HDMI fell apart - this is like 2009 or whatever and it seems to everyone that Onkyo still has REAL issues.
2009. Just proves my point. That's what so many people say.

2012 denon x4000 were breaking left and right. 2010 denon 3311 had a ton of issues. And so many more I could bring up.
post #25 of 67 Old 05-04-2017, 09:42 PM

Quoted: 110 Post(s)
My Onkyo 809 HDMI board failed TWICE. OP, I would focus on Marantz, Yamaha, and Denon.
post #26 of 67 Old 05-04-2017, 09:49 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Yep 2011. Sucks that I come across as such a onkyo fanboy. Lol

I definitely don't work for them. I bet your 809 was great when it worked. Was great avr 6 years ago but they had issues for sure.
post #27 of 67 Old 05-04-2017, 10:10 PM

Quoted: 110 Post(s)
Quote:
Yep 2011. Sucks that I come across as such a onkyo fanboy. Lol

I definitely don't work for them. I bet your 809 was great when it worked. Was great avr 6 years ago but they had issues for sure.
It was great especially for movies. My Marantz equals it but is even better with music. Dealing with Onkyo customer service after the second board failure was a nightmare!
post #28 of 67 Old 05-04-2017, 10:18 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 504 Post(s)
Liked: 435
Quote:
It has become a popular theme on avs trashing onkyo. I see that often too. People make ridiculous comments like I just got onkyo rz1100 and hdmi board went out. Onkyo wouldn't fix it so I threw it away. Pioneer models from 2015 on have exactly the same boards. Their all fine. Hmmmm. Seems like I think there is a conspiracy. Lol

All joking aside onkyo from 2008-2011 had a bunch of issues. Now they are fine. Have been for years.

Strange reverse stereotype in America. Ford built crappy cars in 90's and Honda built good ones. Now Honda builds crappy cars and ford builds great cars. Still people think Honda is better. Ford has been better for over a decade. People love supporting an idea instead of actually trying and learning. To many people go through life not even knowing what's better unless their told.

Yes Honda and Toyota are so far behind American car manufacturers it's not even funny!!!

Before anyone thinks of arguing that with me I was a GSM for Honda, Toyota, Audi and ford/Lincoln for 17years.
Well I'm not part of any conspiracy plot against Onkyo/Integra. I've owned a few Onkyo products in the past 8-9 years. A basic TX-506 5.1 channel receiver I bought new and sold to a nephew that died on him just out of warranty - the HDMI board - an Onkyo PR-SC885 that died on me within 30 days - yup - HDMI board. Onkyo swapped it out - grudgingly - I bought a replacement while Onkyo was taking their sweet-azzed time - sold it when I got it back. That only took 3 weeks AFTER they got the bad unit. Next was an Integra DHC 40.1 - it crapped an HDMI board and radio board right at the 2 year mark. Fortunately it came with a 3 year warranty. At that point I was done with Onkyo home theater products. I do have one Onkyo in the house - a TX-8050 - nice stereo receiver that does work.

These days when I'm looking for an AVR or processor I'm looking primarily at Yamaha - then Marantz - then Denon. I've had several of their AVRs - one that I use in my bedroom two channel - a RX-V773 receiver. It works - so does my CX-A5000. Yamaha isn't 100% foolproof but IMO they are as close as you can get. When a nephew had his Onkyo 606 crap out on him I sold him a Yamaha HTR-7065 - nice machine - and its still working 4 years later! And that's after I had it for about a year.

You can buy all the Onkyo products you want. Unless it's an Onkyo stereo integrated or receiver I ain't buyin' it. Onkyo seems to be oblivious to the problems they have with quality control of their products. You sound like someone that works for Onkyo.

Yamaha CX-A5000 - VTA ST-120 (6550 output tubes) - Salk Song Towers - Oppo 103
Vinyl Room: Emotiva PT-100 - Acurus A100 amp - Acoustic Research AR-2ax - Marantz TT42 - Oppo 103
Twas a woman who drove me to drink. I never had the decency to write and thank her ~ WC Fields

Last edited by Knucklehead90; 05-04-2017 at 10:21 PM.
post #29 of 67 Old 05-04-2017, 10:31 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 451 Post(s)
Liked: 435
Quote:
Aha. The real reason you talk garbage about Denon/Marantz. You are mad at them. Well, I do own an Onkyo with the HDMI issues, one of the older ones that they DIDN'T extend the warranty for. I still have it. I don't use it. I own two Denons and two Onkyos, and guess which two are being used and which two aren't.
Timothy says a lot of useful stuff, but when it comes to Denon/Marantz you have to take him with a grain of salt. He's obviously had a bad customer support experience, and it colors his opinions on the brand, imo.

Denon AVR-X4300H (wounded)
Emotiva XPA Gen3 3 channel
Klipsch RP-280f LR, RP-260f SR, RP-450c
SVS SB12-NSD x4
OPPO UDP-203 TiVo Roamio, adequate Samsung UHD LED TV

Last edited by drh3b; 05-04-2017 at 10:43 PM.
post #30 of 67 Old 05-04-2017, 10:42 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

A bunch of receivers from the era I mentioned.

I know sound quality is a personal thing. It's what you like right???

To me onkyo is exciting and full of life. Great high frequencies and detail. With not the dreaded bloated mids of a denon. I respect you like your marantz receiver. I know many that have them. In my personal tests the Marantz 7010 lost at everything to my onkyo rz900. I had a few marantz receivers over the years and I've never kept for more than a few months. Just not my style.

You can check my earlier posts and I actually own Yamaha 3060 in main room. 3060 in bedroom. Kids game room Yamaha 850. Sons room onkyo 515. Other son pioneer sc55. Daughter got integra 60.5. Music room onkyo rz900. Have a 4 year old daughter. No system yet. Lol.

I have a Yamaha 840 in storage that I'll put in place of next receiver that breaks. Probably will be onkyo 515 hdmi board or pio ue22 code. But I'm ready. Also that onkyo 515 has been used for 5 years. In a kids room that abuses it. It's on for weeks at a time. Probably has thousands of hours on it. When it breaks I'll be ok. It got a lot of use.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page