Expert Troubleshooters Unite! Help is Needed - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 1Likes
  • 1 Post By M Code

post #1 of 3 Old Today, 08:18 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Expert Troubleshooters Unite! Help is Needed

I've owned the RX-V1, RX-Z1, Z9...and then as luck would have it...after a major fiasco owning the Harman Kardon 1700 which died a well deserving death HK...they sent me a 1710 replacement that lasted 4 years until it too died.

Using my charm and charisma I convinced a HK rep to send me a 4 year out of warranty courtesy replacement...

Since I didn't want to wait I checked out A4L and grabbed a Yamaha TSR-7810 that I thought would be an amazing replacement. So I hooked it up and A/B'd them once Harman actually made good on a replacement.

What if I told you...that the 1710.
Sounds....
Better?

It does. Why does a 11 lb receiver sound better than a unit that weighs almost 3 times as much ? I don't get it. Even with the EQ, DSP modes and obvious perceived higher power output the Harman seriously sounds better.

How and why?

I think either I'm on crack or the 7810 is defective?

Sent from my VS987 using Tapatalk
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 Old Today, 08:37 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 751 Post(s)
Liked: 448
The HK 1710 uses an amplifier output amplifier topology designed in the USA by Richie Miller. Basic toplogy was used in the majority of low-mid range HK AVRs from 2002 through 2014. Also Miller designed many HK amplifiers home & car over the years including the highly touted Citation series. In later HK AVRs after 2010 they went to a switching digital PCM supply but the amplifier was still a Class A-B. I have had multiple HK AVRs over the years and still faithfully use an AVR7550HD in 1 of my systems. I have another system using Marantz separate components and the 7550HD compares very well for sonic performance...

Just my $0.02...
aHelpingHand likes this.
post #3 of 3 Old Today, 10:03 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by M Code View Post
The HK 1710 uses an amplifier output amplifier topology designed in the USA by Richie Miller. Basic toplogy was used in the majority of low-mid range HK AVRs from 2002 through 2014. Also Miller designed many HK amplifiers home & car over the years including the highly touted Citation series. In later HK AVRs after 2010 they went to a switching digital PCM supply but the amplifier was still a Class A-B. I have had multiple HK AVRs over the years and still faithfully use an AVR7550HD in 1 of my systems. I have another system using Marantz separate components and the 7550HD compares very well for sonic performance...

Just my $0.02...
I appreciate the response. I have noticed the tone control on the HK goes up to 10db vs 6 for the Yammy. I doubt that made the difference when the Yamaha just doesn't sound awe inspiring. Even in 2 and 7 channel stereo modes the Harman just sounds exceptional. I'd rather use the Yamaha because I remember those sweet DSP modes being vastly superior than the 7810.

Sent from my VS987 using Tapatalk
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page