Is there a 5.1 receiver or amp that fits on an 11" shelf? - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 6 Old 05-07-2017, 11:42 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Send a message via Skype™ to hughstimson
Is there a 5.1 receiver or amp that fits on an 11" shelf?

After a decade of watching movies in stereo, I think it's finally time to go for surround sound.

Here's the problem: the aesthetics and layout of our living room mean that I have to fit the receiver (or integrated amplifier, or whatever box or gadget will work) on an 11"/28cm deep shelf.

It can protrude a little bit, just so long as it doesn't actually fall off. But that seems to rule out practically every home theater receiver I can find. Even "slimline" units like the Pioneer VSX-S520 are 13" deep. And there needs to be an inch or so for the HDMI cable heads.

Something like the Teac A-H01 amplifier would be great, but it's stereo-only.

I figure I'm going to hook it up to a sound bar mounted above our projection screen, plus a sub and sats, and deliver the audio to it from the media computer using an HDMI out from the GPU. But I assume pretty much any 5.1 unit can be made to work in terms of I/O (I'm new to A/V, maybe I'm wrong).

Anyone have any ideas? Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 Old Yesterday, 12:42 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 313 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 13235 Post(s)
Liked: 6115
The dimensions of Denon and Marantz models are listed in the back of their respective Owner's manuals. Any of the lower level models slim-line (eg. Marantz NR1506) or otherwise would easily fit on an 11" shelf with an open front and back to the cabinet as the feet generally only extend about 10"-11" from the front of the front foot to back of the back foot.
post #3 of 6 Old Yesterday, 02:34 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdsmoothie View Post
Any of the lower level models slim-line (eg. Marantz NR1506) or otherwise would easily fit on an 11" shelf with an open front and back to the cabinet as the feet generally only extend about 10"-11" from the front of the front foot to back of the back foot.
Thanks jdsmoothie, I should have made it more clear: this is a shelf in a bookshelf, not a cabinet. There's a wall flush against the back of the shelf.

The Marantz NR1506 you mentioned has a listed depth of 14.4 inches. Even if the front foot was as much as two inches back from the faceplate, with extra space for the HDMI plugs that would still push it past the front edge of the shelf I think.

post #4 of 6 Old Yesterday, 03:04 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 102 Post(s)
Liked: 72

Eleven inchesis a tall order. Your best bet will beto cut a board the size of the receiver, which the receiver will sit on, whichwill sit on the shelf. Either that oryou’ll need to find another place to put it.

Regards,
Wayne A.Pflughaupt

Equipment List
"A nice mid-fi system," according to an audiophile acquaintance.

Reviews and Tech Articles
post #5 of 6 Old Yesterday, 09:24 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wayne A. Pflughaupt View Post

Eleven inchesis a tall order. Your best bet will beto cut a board the size of the receiver, which the receiver will sit on, whichwill sit on the shelf. Either that oryou’ll need to find another place to put it.

Regards,
Wayne A.Pflughaupt
10 4. I was hoping there might be some special magic category of AV box that in my ignorance I was unaware of. Looks like I might be building a new shelf.
post #6 of 6 Old Today, 04:00 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 313 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 13235 Post(s)
Liked: 6115
Quote:
Originally Posted by hughstimson View Post
10 4. I was hoping there might be some special magic category of AV box that in my ignorance I was unaware of. Looks like I might be building a new shelf.
Either that or simply cut out a hole at the back of the shelf.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

Tags
5.1 , amplifier for home theater , integrated amplifier , receiver , receiver advice