AVR Suggestions for the following setup? - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 17 Old Yesterday, 12:07 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 0
AVR Suggestions for the following setup?

I am piecing together a setup primarily for movies/sports, less so for music (maybe 80/20). My plan is to start off with a good mid-level 2.1 setup (VTF-2 MK5 & RBH RB5iRs), Projector is still TBD.

I am looking for a receiver which will offer good performance without breaking the bank (thinking maybe $300 and under). While some offer all sorts of bells and whistles, I am just not sure which ones I really care about.

• I can see myself extending to 5.2, and possibly 7.2 down the road.
  • I will be ~12' from a 100" screen, so I don't know how much I really require 4k over 1080p.
  • I may need enough HDMI ports to hook up various things (gaming consoles, apple tv, etc)

Would something like Denon 720W or Yamaha RX-V481 be good fits? Can I do with something simpler? Do I need to go bigger? Again, I would like to get the most out of my setup while avoiding costly overkill.

Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 Old Yesterday, 03:14 PM - Thread Starter

Puppy bump.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_5213_1495232052303.jpg
Views:	28
Size:	743.0 KB
ID:	2146322  
post #3 of 17 Old Yesterday, 03:36 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Quoted: 1189 Post(s)
Liked: 849
Where are you located? Fry's has the new Denon s730 for $299 this week with promo code. It is an In store only deal though.

Afro GT

post #4 of 17 Old Yesterday, 04:03 PM - Thread Starter

Nowhere near frys unfortunately (Connecticut). What about the other ones I mentioned, are those good options?
post #5 of 17 Old Yesterday, 04:15 PM

I would get this over either of your choices.

http://www.accessories4less.com/make...eceiver/1.html

Afro GT
post #6 of 17 Old Yesterday, 04:28 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks for the suggestion; I'll definitely take a look. If i may ask, what does the 1300 include that the other options don't? I'm still trying to wrap my head around all the features
post #7 of 17 Old Yesterday, 04:44 PM

the x1300 is the s720 with an upgraded version of Audyssey MultEQ XT. And it also has a set of Zone2 preouts so you can run 7.2 in the main area and still be able to send audio to zone 2 by adding an external amp. And new x1300 vs new s720 has a 3 year warranty vs 2 year.

the RX-V481 is only a 5 channel receiver. No expand-ability, no Zone 2, only 4 HDMI inputs. Lesser version of room calibration. I would cross that off my list.

Afro GT
post #8 of 17 Old Yesterday, 05:55 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by afrogt View Post
the x1300 is the s720 with an upgraded version of Audyssey MultEQ XT. And it also has a set of Zone2 preouts so you can run 7.2 in the main area and still be able to send audio to zone 2 by adding an external amp. And new x1300 vs new s720 has a 3 year warranty vs 2 year.

the RX-V481 is only a 5 channel receiver. No expand-ability, no Zone 2, only 4 HDMI inputs. Lesser version of room calibration. I would cross that off my list.
Great, thanks for the additional insight. Is the 1300 really at the low-end of what you would suggest? I mean, I don't have a hard cap necessarily, but this one is at the higher end of what I was considering. Are there a couple cheaper alternatives which, while maybe not as good, would be acceptable for general use (and somewhat futureproof)?
post #9 of 17 Old Yesterday, 07:47 PM

How much cheaper are you trying to go? You said your budget was $300 and under.

Afro GT
post #10 of 17 Old Yesterday, 08:58 PM - Thread Starter

I meant lower. And yes, I could technically go higher (if there was a substantial performance improvement) but I am just trying to keep myself in line. Like many others who visit these forums, you usually end up 2-3x (or more) higher than what your initial budget was (as I did for both the sub and the bookshelves!)

So I am curious if there are some other, cheaper alternatives, which I should also keep an eye on.
post #11 of 17 Old Today, 07:39 AM

Quoted: 228 Post(s)
Liked: 58
Quote:
Originally Posted by mcatta08 View Post
I meant lower. And yes, I could technically go higher (if there was a substantial performance improvement) but I am just trying to keep myself in line. Like many others who visit these forums, you usually end up 2-3x (or more) higher than what your initial budget was (as I did for both the sub and the bookshelves!)

So I am curious if there are some other, cheaper alternatives, which I should also keep an eye on.
I doubt you'll beat the refurbished Denon X1300W that afrogt linked. $299 with a 3-year warranty thrown in for free is really enticing.

If you want to bump it up a bit, I've had my eye on the Yamaha TSR-7810 (a relabeled RX-V781) at Costco for $490, but like you said, forums can help produce budget inflation. Would it bring anything to your table that the Denon X1300W doesn't? Perhaps someone more knowledgeable than I can comment on that.

Whatever way you go, I hope you the best in your choice.

Edit: I'm curious--what sub and bookshelf speakers did you get?

Last edited by Broadus; Today at 07:44 AM.
post #12 of 17 Old Today, 09:14 AM - Thread Starter

I haven't purchased yet, but after countless hours of deliberation, I am likely going w the HSU VTF-2 MK5 sub and RBH R5Bi bookshelves. I know everyone will tell me to go for the VTF-3 but the VTF-2 is already well beyond my initial budget and I'm good w going dual if I need more down the road

Thanks for the additional thoughts on the 1300. I'll probably end up going with that
post #13 of 17 Old Today, 10:30 AM

Quoted: 228 Post(s)
Liked: 58
Quote:
I haven't purchased yet, but after countless hours of deliberation, I am likely going w the HSU VTF-2 MK5 sub and RBH R5Bi bookshelves. I know everyone will tell me to go for the VTF-3 but the VTF-2 is already well beyond my initial budget and I'm good w going dual if I need more down the road

Thanks for the additional thoughts on the 1300. I'll probably end up going with that
From what I've gathered, those are solid choices on the speakers and are at a good price point for the quality you're getting. I came to the forum looking to upgrade my old Sony 2.0 and ended up spending more than I anticipated, ordering a pair of Q Acoustics Concept 20 bookshelf speakers, a Concept Center Channel speaker, and an SVS NB12 sub. I like my new system, especially considering that the QA speakers had a substantial price increase the evening after I ordered them that afternoon. However, I suspect I would have liked the RBH R5bi just as well. I think you did well.
post #14 of 17 Old Today, 01:25 PM
s44
Advanced Member

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Quote:
I haven't purchased yet, but after countless hours of deliberation, I am likely going w the HSU VTF-2 MK5 sub and RBH R5Bi bookshelves.
If it's mostly movies/sports, why not go all-Hsu with the HB-1 (since the very cool coax speakers are likely out of budget)? They're sold together at a bit of a discount and the higher efficiency and power handling should do wonders for movies, both for high-volume bits and dialogue clarity. 85dB mains for HT are a serious compromise.
post #15 of 17 Old Today, 04:03 PM - Thread Starter

Looks 799 for the package vs 817 individually. Oddly, the package also appears to be out of stock (despite being able to construct it separately). Not a huge discount but id certainly still consider it as an option. Is an 85db really that limiting compared to the 92db HSUs; it doesnt seem very significant, but i am pretty green on this topic.
post #16 of 17 Old Today, 04:15 PM
s44
Advanced Member

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 17
It takes double the amplifier power to get a 3db increase.
post #17 of 17 Old Today, 05:19 PM - Thread Starter

I definitely see myself cranking up the volume a bit for some movies, but would this difference be realized at moderate volumes?

Regardless, this still sounds like a very good speaker, I'm just trying to figure out if it's something that I will utilize.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors