Firmware Update Information for the 2017 Marantz NR/SR models
(1) Firmware updates for all 2017 models should be available via Marantz's website
and can be downloaded and installed via USB thumb drive. You will need to enter the serial number of the AVR at the website page to obtain the update.
(2) Firmware updates can also be installed by the owner via an internet connection to the Marantz servers. Although it's not necessary to update your unit if you are not experiencing any problems, it's generally a good idea to keep it updated so that if there are any problems with the update the unit will still be covered under warranty. The update process generally doesn't take more than 30 minutes once the download begins and also generally does not erase any settings, although it's always a good idea to SAVE the settings using the new SAVE & LOAD via USB feature prior to doing the update just in case. Note that if the update process is stuck on "Authenticating", ensure a source other than NET/USB is selected and just let it continue for up to a few hours and it should eventually begin the update process (although note that Marantz's servers have been known to crash the first day of release due to the overload, so you may want to wait a few days before trying again). Some have noted that rather than selecting the "Check for Update", instead simply selecting the "Start Update" will avoid the "Authenticating" issue. One prior model year owner found that disconnecting ALL sources to the AVR enabled the unit to connect to the Marantz servers and update the firmware when the update process had previously been unsuccessful.
Other tips if having problems with the update include setting "Network Standby/IP Control/Network" to OFF, cycling the DHCP setting on the AVR, or using a static IP address.
During the update, the AVR will go into Standby mode, but will continue to update status on the front panel display. If the update seems to be hung up (ie. goes beyond 1 hour) ... power the AVR to Standby, unplug it for a few minutes and power back on and attempt the update again. If the update fails to load, check the network environment (ie. reset the router, replace the router with a more current/robust model, or ideally wire directly to the router if connecting wirelessly) If still not having any luck with the update, perform a Network Reset. You may also want to consider purchasing a long (100'+) Cat5/6 cable for network updates only for a higher probability of a successful install. Also note, that once the update has completed, there is no way of returning to an earlier version of firmware.
Networking model owners will be notified automatically when there is a firmware update when the AVR is turned ON as long as the Notification Update setting is set to ON (factory default). For more information refer to Setup - General - Firmware - Notifications -Update
in your respective Owner's manual. To manually check for an update, refer to Setup - General - Firmware - Update - Check for Update
(3) What is my unit's current firmware version? The current firmware version can be determined from the AVR's menu: Setup --> General --> Information --> Firmware Version.
(4) There are two firmware notification settings, both of which default to "ON" from the factory..... "Update" (fixes) and "Upgrade" (new feature). When either an "update" or "upgrade" is available the networking models will display a message alerting you to this "update" or "upgrade" every time you turn on the AVR. If you prefer not to install the update/upgrade, then simply change the appropriate setting at General --> Firmware --> Notifications ---> Update/Upgrade to OFF (factory default is ON) and it will go away.
This area will be used to track the change log of the firmware updates for 2017 NR/SR series models
** NOTE: The change log information above is provided as is, without any further explanation and only when I am able to obtain it. If the information listed above doesn't make sense, please don't ask for clarification, as I have none.
Auro 3D/2D + Auro-Matic (simulates audio to height speakers from non-Auro BD/DVD) Upgrade instructions (USA models only)
Only the SR7012 and can be upgraded to Auro 3D/2D by following the instructions listed below:
1. Connect the unit to the internet.
2. Ensure the unit has the latest firmware update installed.
3. Using the GUI, select Upgrade now or go to GENERAL -- FIRMWARE -- ADD NEW FEATURE and write down the "Upgrade ID" listed on the display
4. Go to the Upgrade website at https://www.upgrade.marantz.com/na/m...ages/home.aspx
5. Complete the Auro 3D upgrade Personal form to include personal information, the unit's serial number (listed on back of unit or on original box), and the Upgrade ID obtained in step 3.
6. Enter credit card information - cost is $199 USD which will also include the Auro 3D Demo disk.
7. Once the card has been processed, the Auro 3D upgrade will be available to download to the unit (estimated download time - will vary depending on internet connection)
(1) For those SR7012 owners not wanting to upgrade to Auro 3D at this time, you will be given the option to set Upgrade Notification to OFF on initial setup or you can go to SETUP -- GENERAL -- FIRMWARE -- NOTIFICATIONS -- UPGRADE and select OFF so you don't get the Upgrade notification each time the unit is powered ON. Note the "Upgrade" notification only applies to new features, while the "Update" notification applies to "fixes" which you want to leave set to ON.
(2) Additional information on Auro 3D/2D can be found in the Official Auro 3D thread