Auto calibration w/r subwoofer crossover - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
post #1 of 3 Unread Today, 08:56 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Auto calibration w/r subwoofer crossover

I have a 5.1.2 (Atmos Enabled) speaker setup including a Klipsch R-112SW sub, and a Sony STR-DN1080 AVR. All this is new, never calibrated.

The Klipsch Subwoofers User Manual says,
Quote:
If setting the crossover point in the receiver, turn the Lowpass Filter knob on the subwoofer to the farthest point right(160Hz). Set the crossover point based on the size of the main left/right speakers you are using in the system. As a general rule, forlarger, floorstanding speakers, set the crossover point between 50Hz-90Hz. If using small bookshelf or “satellite” speakers for themains, set the crossover point between 90Hz-150Hz.
The Sony Help Guide says that for calibration, sub crossover at the sub should be set to the maximum (which would be 160 Hz for the R-112SW). It also says,
Quote:
You can set the bass crossover frequency of speakers for which [Size] in the [Speaker Settings] menu has been set to [Small]. A measured speaker crossover frequency is set for each speaker after the Auto Calibration is performed.
I not setting [Size] for any of my Klipsch Reference speakers to [Small].

Am I correct in inferring that I should set the sub's crossover knob to the max for auto calibration and afterwards, and let the AVR handle it?

LG OLED65C7P / Oppo UDP-203 / Sony STR-DN1080 / 5.1.2 Klipsch RP-280FA et al.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 Unread Today, 09:57 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 396 Post(s)
Liked: 123
You shouldn't have to mess with any settings on the back of the sub. Just plug your sub cable into the "Sub In" or "LFE" input on the back of the sub. Set your gain/volume knob to around 12 o'clock and run your room correction. Then yes, set your speakers to small and your crossover around 80-100hz depending on your liking. If you have separate crossovers then you may set your front speakers to around 50-60hz. But the sub should be 80-100hz.

Someone correct me if I'm wrong...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Pioneer Elite VSX-90 7.2 * DT Studio Monitor 45 front L/R * DT ProCenter 2000 * DT ProMonitor 800 surrounds * dual Hsu VTF-3 MK5 subs * VTI RF Series 29" speaker stands * DT ProMount90 wall mounts * OSD Audio WSK-100 wireless sub kit *
post #3 of 3 Unread Today, 10:04 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 318 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 13406 Post(s)
Liked: 6221
Correct ... set the sub crossover to it's max level (or OFF if an option) and set the gain/volume to 10 o'clock.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors