In Wall Receiver for Bathroom - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 2 Old 05-30-2017, 05:25 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 0
In Wall Receiver for Bathroom

Hello all,

First time posting here because this is a question I don't even know how to begin to google and my attempts so far haven't panned out that well. Also, not sure if this is in the right feed or if it should be in Setup, but here goes...

I'm in the process of rewiring my entire home for line voltage, and while I'm at it, I'm adding in a slew of low-voltage wiring (ethernet, coax, HDMI, and RCA audio, contemplating TOSLINK as well).

For most of the rooms in my house (bedroom, office, living room), I plan on or already have a dedicated audio device. For example, my living room already has a 2.1 stereo setup, my office has the desktop display and will have a bookshelf with shelf speakers in the future. Mainly audio signals come from my PC and go to the living room speakers and in the future be 'multiplexed' (if you will) to feed audio to everywhere at once.

Everything works great as is. However, I have two dilemnas I need some advice on.

One) what if I want to pipe audio "backwards"? That is, rather than sending music from my PC to the living room or bedroom or outside, what if I want to here LPs from my living room when I wander upstairs (though admittedly my house is tiny and I can here it everywhere anyways, but it doesn't sound clean). Is running a bunch of in-wall RCA cables to and from everything using splitters and whatnot the most practical solution?

Two) This is the main thing I need advice on: I really want audio in the bathroom. I could do like I plan for everything else and just run an RCA cable with an outlet into the bathroom then get some small shelf speakers to go in there, but that's not fun. Instead, I want to install some sort of in-wall receiver that I can run RCA to (or whatever to carry line-level audio) which then amplifies the signal for in-wall/ceiling speakers. The only products I've come across either use an amplified signal for the input (aka volume control), or only have a line-level input on the outside of the product and/or a mic input. The accessible line-level input would be handy, but is unnecessary and the mic input might make any visitors who use my bathroom scratch their head.

To summarize my two queries:
1) What's the best way to transmit audio signals all over the house? How can I listen to my vinyls OR my desktop OR maybe other inputs in each room? Keep in mind, my house is small. There are no two devices in my house that can't be connected with 36' or less of wire.

2) What's the best way to also listen in the bathroom?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 2 Old 05-31-2017, 12:07 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 386 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 15365 Post(s)
Liked: 7512
Instead of using wired speakers, consider instead using HEOS wireless/Bluetooth speakers. The speaker models are the HEOS 1/3/5/7, the smallest (HEOS 1) being humidity control protected and ideal for placement in a bathroom. You can use two of the same model number speaker to output stereo audio, otherwise just a single speaker in each room will work. You would use the HEOS iOS/Android app to stream (currently) one of 13 different music services (ie. Pandora, Spotify, TuneIn, Amazon Music, DEEZER, Napster, iHeartRadio, SiriusXM, SOUNDCLOUD, TIDAL, Rhapsody, JUKE!, AWA) to one or more (up to 32) HEOS speakers set up around your home with the ability to group up to 16 of them at a time to play the same audio or each can be playing separate audio. Also, the speakers have both a 3.5mm and USB input in which you can connect an external source (eg. Turntable using a RCA --> 3.5 mm converter or the headphone output from your PC) to one speaker and select it to play on either that speaker or on other speakers as well.

https://usa.denon.com/us/heos

https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...os.phone&hl=en
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page