2Likes
  • 2 Post By mike911

post #1 of 18 Old 06-08-2017, 02:36 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 0
NAD 4k VM300 Issues

I recently had my NAD T758 upgraded with the 4k VM300 module. Didn't seem to be any problems at first but now I am noticing that the audio and video will sometimes just cut out for about 3 seconds. A couple times the entire screen would go pink and none of the other HDMI inputs would work and I had to power cycle the receiver.

I haven't done any exhaustive testing yet but I don't think this is my television since it affects all input devices and it just started after the upgrade. It's very infrequent and I can't really predict to win the problem will occur so I'm still gathering data about it.

Just wondering if anybody else has had any problems like this.

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk

Last edited by kevinp1969; 06-11-2017 at 08:26 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 18 Old 06-08-2017, 02:45 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 66 Post(s)
Quoted: 5143 Post(s)
Liked: 3837
Have you tried a new/different HDMI cable?
post #3 of 18 Old 06-08-2017, 03:42 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan P View Post
Have you tried a new/different HDMI cable?
Yes I've gone through all of that. The only thing I have left to do is replaced the 15ft in-wall cables with smaller 6ft ones although I don't see this making a difference it can't hurt.

I'm also curious about heat so I ordered some 12 volt cabinet fans which again shouldn't be the problem since there's plenty of ventilation already around the receiver.

I'm just wondering if anybody else has had a similar issue.

post #4 of 18 Old 07-06-2017, 02:23 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 199 Post(s)
Liked: 28
I have a similar issue. I have the t187 with vm300. Tried two cards same issue. PS4 pro flickers real bad and sometimes video cuts out totally. This in PS4 pro automatic mode. In yuv420 and RGB it's a bit better but not fixed. I have had the yuv2160 ok for a few days then turned on ps and no video. Had audio. Cables are all or nothing so it's not cable related. Plus I've tried a bunch of different ones all very high end and even Monoprice premium certified high speed.

Nad gave up trying to help me. I had flickering on my Xbox one s and nad gave me a beta firmware that helped but can't get the ps fixed. Sony says it's tv I guess. Tv has already been updated to new firmware that lg put out last nov. my lg E6 65" is fully up to date.

Sometimes no issue and sometimes flicker. It's not hdr because on home screen there is no hdr.

I feel screwed and don't want to keep my nad amp and processor when this isn't working. This is $5700 down the tube.
post #5 of 18 Old 07-09-2017, 10:04 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Friend ordered a 4k hdr EDID Minder to try.
post #6 of 18 Old 08-06-2017, 05:32 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

All fixed.
post #7 of 18 Old 08-06-2017, 11:22 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by buggs1a View Post
All fixed.
The EDID Minder fixed the HDMI signal?
post #8 of 18 Old 08-06-2017, 05:16 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BruceNT View Post
The EDID Minder fixed the HDMI signal?
Yep. It's all good now.
post #9 of 18 Old 08-08-2017, 06:52 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 175 Post(s)
Liked: 33
Tius on Crutchfield's vm300 review page. Is all this still accurate? Has NAD released any firmware updates since you got it! Thanks

The VM300 is definitely a mixed bag. On the one hand it does the main thing it's advertised to do: add 4K HDMI2.0a functionality to some NAD AVR's that previously only supported HDMI 1.4. Darn expensive for that but I knew that going in. And while the MDC module pricing is high, I really like my T777 AVR and I can't replace it with an AVR of equivalent quality for less than this module cost. But I was so exasperated by other aspects of my experience that I left detailed feedback about it with NAD. In brief, NAD makes it extremely hard to find the firmware update needed to install the card. This isn't intentional as far as I can tell. They used to have the firmware link right on the VM300 product page. But a month ago they redesigned their website and removed almost every bit of useful information that was there. So I chalk this up to incompetence, not corporate malfeasance. Once you manage to get over that hurdle you become aware that NAD has reduced the usefulness of the AVR software with its latest release. One problem is probably hardware-related: video overlays are no longer supported. Now 'Info' is only indicated on the T777 front display -- it does not appear on the TV. Also, the AVR menu, when accessed, replaces the existing video rather than overlaying it. Other functions like source table view are missing. And you can't reset the Audyssey calibration. All of this is a big, unadvertised, step backward in usability.

Phil Tomaskovic
post #10 of 18 Old 09-18-2017, 08:16 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 1606 Post(s)
Liked: 852
Quote:
Originally Posted by kevinp1969 View Post
I recently had my NAD T758 upgraded with the 4k VM300 module. Didn't seem to be any problems at first but now I am noticing that the audio and video will sometimes just cut out for about 3 seconds. A couple times the entire screen would go pink and none of the other HDMI inputs would work and I had to power cycle the receiver.

I haven't done any exhaustive testing yet but I don't think this is my television since it affects all input devices and it just started after the upgrade. It's very infrequent and I can't really predict to win the problem will occur so I'm still gathering data about it.

Just wondering if anybody else has had any problems like this.

I don't know how you did that. A VM300 doesn't fit in a T758. Those take the VM130.

Do you have a T777 which DOES take a VM300, or is it a VM130 in your T758 like the one in mine?

KEF R500, R200C, R100, SVS SB2000 sub, NAD T758 receiver, Pro-Ject RPM1 TT w/ Ortofon 2M Red, Bluesound Vault2, Sony BDP-S480 BlueRay player, Samsung UN55JU6500F 4K LED TV, KEF M500 headphones, Sony CDP-CE500 CD changer.
post #11 of 18 Old 09-26-2017, 07:50 AM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Also having HDMI issues with my T187 VM300

I have a three week old brand new NAD T187 with a 4K VM300 module that my dealer installed. Not sure why it wasn't installed when it left the factory. I have only two HDMI sources. My Comcast box which is only 1080P and my OPPO 4K Blu-ray player. Both of these HDMI sources are directly connected to the inputs of the VM300. I should also mention that I did replace my TV the same day that I installed my Pre/Pro. I have a 75" Sony 4K 940 model (I paid $4300). When I turn on my Sony TV, it also turns on the NAD because of the CMC HDMI signaling? Most of the time everything works fine but occasionally. I get 'digital' static on the Sony screen and simply cannot get any picture or sound until I fiddle with the HDMI cables coming and going from the NAD. Very aggravating. I have ordered shorter HDMI cable from the HDMI out from the NAD to the TV but have yet to install it. Perhaps this weekend?

I am considering connecting both of my HDMI sources directly to the Sony TV and bypassing the NAD. I have only a 5.1 audio setup and would get the audio to the processor from the optical toslink which is also connected from the TV to the NAD's optical input. When I watch 4K from either Netflix or Amazon, I use the internal applications on the TV and get the audio from the optical toslink. It seems to be working perfectly when I watch 4K sources from Amazon and Netflix.

Any reason I shouldn't hook up my HDMI sources directly to the TV? Remember, I only have 5.1 sound.

Also aggravated that when I adjust my volume from the remote control that a volume bar doesn't show up on the TV screen. I mentioned this to a NAD engineer and he indicated that this was because 'they' decided it would be better so that the movie 'experience' doesn't get interrupted when adjusting the volume from the remote. I hope they fix this in a upcoming version of firmware.

Still learning to use the NAD T187 and my new TV. Lucky for me that I have 100Mbps internet from Comcast and when I use 4K sources from the internal applications in the TV, that no pixilating occurs. The Jury is still out on the NAD. Supposedly the dealer is going to install the BLUOs option for an additional $200. Should it have come with the T187? --Greg--
post #12 of 18 Old 09-26-2017, 08:44 AM

Quoted: 161 Post(s)
Liked: 85
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg.Ca View Post

Any reason I shouldn't hook up my HDMI sources directly to the TV? Remember, I only have 5.1 sound.

You will not get HD audio (Dolby HD, DTS HD) if you hook up your 4K player directly to the TV. Doesn't the Oppo have 2 HDMI outs? Hook one for video only direct to the TV, use the other HDMI out as audio only direct to your NAD. Do this if you want HD audio. Your cable box is fine being hooked up to the TV as there is no HD audio for that. However, doesn't this defeat the whole purpose of installing the module so that you can pass 4K video through your NAD?
post #13 of 18 Old 09-26-2017, 08:52 AM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fizban19 View Post
You will not get HD audio (Dolby HD, DTS HD) if you hook up your 4K player directly to the TV. Doesn't the Oppo have 2 HDMI outs? Hook one for video only direct to the TV, use the other HDMI out as audio only direct to your NAD. Do this if you want HD audio. Your cable box is fine being hooked up to the TV as there is no HD audio for that. However, doesn't this defeat the whole purpose of installing the module so that you can pass 4K video through your NAD?
Yes, I believe that the Oppo DOES have two separate HDMI outs. I will look into using both of them as you suggested. Good call!!! Yes, this definitely DOES defeat the purpose of using the 4K module but if I am not home and my wife has to tell me that our brand new TV is full of static............... Do I really need to finish this sentence? --Greg--

Sony 4K 75" XBR75X940E
Oppo 4K UDP-203 4K Bluray Player
NAD T187 with VM300 4K HDMI card
Rotel 5 channel Amplifier RMB-1095
AC Infinity Aircom Cooling system T9
Movie Collection http://www.invelos.com/DVDCollection.aspx/Greg.Ca
post #14 of 18 Old 09-26-2017, 08:54 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 499 Post(s)
Liked: 400
I don't think I would bypass if it were me. It's a three week old unit. It should work. I would keep pushing on NAD or return the unit.

You should not have to workaround on a beautiful three week old unit. The day will come where you don't want to workaround any longer but you might be passed your warranty etc. and still might not work.

Push NAD or your dealer. Don't accept this.

Rick
post #15 of 18 Old 09-26-2017, 09:26 AM

Quoted: 161 Post(s)
Liked: 85
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.SoftDome View Post
I don't think I would bypass if it were me. It's a three week old unit. It should work. I would keep pushing on NAD or return the unit.

You should not have to workaround on a beautiful three week old unit. The day will come where you don't want to workaround any longer but you might be passed your warranty etc. and still might not work.

Push NAD or your dealer. Don't accept this.

Rick
I 100% agree.....however, in the meantime, the workaround is ok for a few days until he can see his dealer so the wife won't have any problems, which means less headaches for the OP. I would definitely hound the dealer on this since he is the one who installed it. Have him test the unit on one of his displays.....
post #16 of 18 Old 09-29-2017, 02:42 AM

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 4
Quote:
Originally Posted by buggs1a View Post
Yep. It's all good now.
Could you confirm if your problem was fixed by placing the EDID Minder before the NAD, prior to the VM300 input, or after the NAD @ the exit of the VM300? At the exit I suppose.

This sounds like a potential similar type of conflict I am experiencing with one of my sources going through my T187 so I am considering it also.

By the way, NAD did mention working on a firmware update likely for Q4

Last edited by lvc10000; 09-29-2017 at 06:21 AM.
post #17 of 18 Old 10-01-2017, 05:10 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lvc10000 View Post
Could you confirm if your problem was fixed by placing the EDID Minder before the NAD, prior to the VM300 input, or after the NAD @ the exit of the VM300? At the exit I suppose.

This sounds like a potential similar type of conflict I am experiencing with one of my sources going through my T187 so I am considering it also.

By the way, NAD did mention working on a firmware update likely for Q4
The EDID was set first like this.

1: between source and NAD. Memorize setting code or whatever it does. Do this for each device.
2: between NAD and tv.
3: redo 1 if problems still with source.

My friend did this since he bought it for me and I know nothing about EDID.

It’s mostly held up. The issue now is when putting nad to input for ps4 I have to sometimes power cycle the nad still. The problem is 99% better. But I’ve had to do this 2-4 times since installing the EDID.

My friend who also is the sales person. He said the EDID may need to be re programmed again.
post #18 of 18 Old 10-11-2017, 03:28 PM

Liked: 18
I can now confirm I fixed a similar problem on a t758 with a vm130 by buying a new hdmi cable. I used to run a inwall 15ft cable from the nad output to the tv, never had a problem before, but after adding the vm130 and a new 4k tv, I started losing signal very frequently. Most often in the ps4 pro, the chromecast ultra and even the cable box sometimes, video would cut for a second before returning, sometimes it would be a flicker mess. I did test another cable with the same results, but it was just another hdmi cable I had lying around. After reading about 4k and hdmi 18gbps cables I discovered my old cables were not rated at 18gbps, so bought a 10ft monoprice certified 18gbps cable to replace the old 15ft cable. Quite a big difference, now the video signal lock is faster, and I have yet to see it lose signal again. I also rarely need to power cycle the nad for the ps4 pro signal to lock, but will not flicker once signal is acquired, so I am very satisfied now. I have been testing this for 3 weeks now, and I consider this issue solved. Maybe it was the 18gbps or maybe the cable length but it worked for me. Hope it helps someone else.
nathan_h and KenM10759 like this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page