Best preamp new/used under $1000 for 7.2 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 2Likes
  • 1 Post By bscool
  • 1 Post By Blacklightning

post #1 of 14 Old 08-12-2017, 06:34 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 172 Post(s)
Liked: 276
Best preamp new/used under $1000 for 7.2

I currently have an Onkyo TX-NR818. I am currently using external amplifiers to run the speakers and am using the Onkyo only as a preamp.

https://www.onkyousa.com/Products/model.php?m=TX-NR818&class=Receiver

I'm interested in opinions of new or used preamps which would be an upgrade to the Onkyo for preamp duty. This is used for movies only in a dedicated theater with a 120" screen and 1080p projector.

I have *no* plans or desire for Atmos.
I run 3 speakers up front and 4 surround speakers.
I have dual subwoofers.

Please let me know what you think or if I'm better just staying put with the Onkyo.

Thanks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 Old 08-12-2017, 06:42 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 232 Post(s)
Liked: 240
post #3 of 14 Old 08-12-2017, 10:44 AM - Thread Starter

Thanks for the links.

How are those an improvement over what I have now?

post #4 of 14 Old 08-12-2017, 12:30 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 877 Post(s)
Liked: 538
Best preamp new/used under $1000 for 7.2

Check out the the Parasound Halo P5; the reviews are stellar. I bought one used earlier this year

Sorry, only 2.1 preamp

Primary set-up 5.1.4; Yamaha A2050, Paired w/Parsound P5 Preamp & A21 amp
Revel F206 fronts & Revel M16 rears; Outlaw X12 Sub & 4 RSL C34e in-ceilings

Secondary 5.1: Denon S900W, Polks LSiM703/704C, Polk RC80i in-ceiling rears, RSL Speedwoofer 10s
post #5 of 14 Old 08-12-2017, 04:36 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 232 Post(s)
Liked: 240
Quote:
Originally Posted by assassin View Post
Thanks for the links.

How are those an improvement over what I have now?
Because you asked for pre-amps/processors. That's what those two are. Right now you are using an AVR for a pre-amp. There is a big difference. There are other pre-pros at that site also. Really depends on what you want to spend for a pre-pro. Good luck and hope this answers your question.
post #6 of 14 Old 08-12-2017, 05:09 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by phantom52 View Post
Because you asked for pre-amps/processors. That's what those two are. Right now you are using an AVR for a pre-amp. There is a big difference. There are other pre-pros at that site also. Really depends on what you want to spend for a pre-pro. Good luck and hope this answers your question.
I was hoping for a little more detailed answer or explanation.

Different processing that would do XYZ.
Different architecture that is better because of ABC.
Improved sound quality because of UVW.

Etc etc.
post #7 of 14 Old 08-13-2017, 12:20 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 1192 Post(s)
Liked: 1029
A pre/pro is a preamp and a processor.

A preamplifier is a low level amplifier. It takes a line level signal and amplifies it enough to drive the power amplifier to its rated output. That's all it is. It might be a separate unit, or it might be part of an integrated unit, or a receiver.

The processor controls things like:

Source selection
Volume control
Multi-channel digital to analog conversion
Delays and volumes for individual speakers
Upmixing, from 5.1 to 7.1 for example
Bass management
High resolution audio format decoding
Room correction
Video scaling
2nd and 3rd zones
Media streaming
Internet radio

You question is pretty broad. What does your processing unit not do that you want it to do? What do you want it to do better? If it lacks features you want or need, that's one thing. If you just want it to "sound better" maybe are looking for better room correction? Or something else?

I personally would not get to wrapped up in whether your processor shares a box with amps. Generally, IMO, its either processing the ones and zeros you need to it to process, or its not. It either has the room correction you want, or it doesn't. It will pass 4k video using the current HDCP protocols, or it won't. The electronics in a processor are mostly commodity parts that will process what you want them to process, or they won't.
post #8 of 14 Old 08-13-2017, 12:50 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Coincidentally, this thread just popped up again.

Marantz AV7703 vs. AV7702 vs. AV7005 ?? 2ch stereo critical listening
post #9 of 14 Old 08-13-2017, 05:49 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjackkrash View Post
Coincidentally, this thread just popped up again.

Marantz AV7703 vs. AV7702 vs. AV7005 ?? 2ch stereo critical listening
Admittedly I haven't kept up with the preamp vs amp technology so I was hoping someone would tell me there was a definite reason to upgrade... or not to upgrade. In the past year in my theater room I've upgraded my speakers, added a 3 channel amp to drive the front L/C/R, added a 5 channel amp to drive to 4 surround speakers, and added new dual subs.

I was looking to see if there was an obvious reason to switch from using the onkyo 818 as the preamp to a dedicated preamp. The onkyo 818 has Audyssey XT32 and if, for instance, there isn't anything noticeably better I will probably just stand pat.
post #10 of 14 Old 08-13-2017, 06:41 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Admittedly I haven't kept up with the preamp vs amp technology so I was hoping someone would tell me there was a definite reason to upgrade... or not to upgrade. In the past year in my theater room I've upgraded my speakers, added a 3 channel amp to drive the front L/C/R, added a 5 channel amp to drive to 4 surround speakers, and added new dual subs.

I was looking to see if there was an obvious reason to switch from using the onkyo 818 as the preamp to a dedicated preamp. The onkyo 818 has Audyssey XT32 and if, for instance, there isn't anything noticeably better I will probably just stand pat.
Some of this years D&M products have the new Audyssey app that let's you adjust the target curve. This might or might not be a reason to upgrade for you, but there's a thread on the app that you might want to check out. Maybe a 7703 is in the cards.

http://us.marantz.com/us/news/pages/...spx?NewsID=122

MultEQ Editor: New App for Denon & Marantz AV Receivers & Pre/Pros

It sounds like your room is coming along nicely!
post #11 of 14 Old 08-13-2017, 07:06 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 47 Post(s)
Quoted: 752 Post(s)
Liked: 587
Quote:
I currently have an Onkyo TX-NR818. I am currently using external amplifiers to run the speakers and am using the Onkyo only as a preamp.

https://www.onkyousa.com/Products/mo...class=Receiver

I'm interested in opinions of new or used preamps which would be an upgrade to the Onkyo for preamp duty. This is used for movies only in a dedicated theater with a 120" screen and 1080p projector.

I have *no* plans or desire for Atmos.
I run 3 speakers up front and 4 surround speakers.
I have dual subwoofers.

Please let me know what you think or if I'm better just staying put with the Onkyo.

Thanks.
I am not real familiar with Onkyo but looked at the one you have and it has XT32 so i don't think there would be much benefit to going with something new unless you are missing some feature you want. But I don't think there would be any drastic change in SQ if that is what you are looking for.

I would take that money and buy the Umik1 if you haven't already so that you can take some measurements. That will give you an improvement in SQ since you can actually see what is going on with your FR and if you are getting a cancellation around the subwoofer and main interactions and you can then change the subwoofer distance to correct it. You cannot do that without measuring with a mic.
jjackkrash likes this.

HTPC, Sony 40es, 120" Silver Ticket, 7702mkii, Sunfire Amp 225w, JBL 590, JBL 520

PSA XS30, Seaton Submersive, 2 Um-18 8cf sealed, Outlaw Ultra x 12, Kappa Pro 18LF, BFM Tuba 60 horn, B&C 18TBW100 6cf 41hz, 34hz, 28hz tune

iNuke 3000 & 6000 DSP's, Crowson Motion Actuator
post #12 of 14 Old 08-13-2017, 07:19 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 487 Post(s)
Liked: 325
If some one replaced your AVR with a Pre-Pro without you knowing, you would continue to watch movies as you are not noticing a thing. If you were to BUY a $1000 Pre-Pro you would think that the Pre-Pro had a small bump in Sound Quality, that is unfortunately how human brains work. So save your money.
Knucklehead90 likes this.
post #13 of 14 Old 08-13-2017, 07:56 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blacklightning View Post
If some one replaced your AVR with a Pre-Pro without you knowing, you would continue to watch movies as you are not noticing a thing. If you were to BUY a $1000 Pre-Pro you would think that the Pre-Pro had a small bump in Sound Quality, that is unfortunately how human brains work. So save your money.
That's what I am thinking as well and what I have learned from this thread. I think I will just stay put.
post #14 of 14 Old 08-13-2017, 08:37 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 504 Post(s)
Liked: 435
Some of the Integra processors can equalize two subs independently from each other. The 818 can't do that. And I agree with @Blacklightning - not much to be gained moving from an AVR (receiver) to an AVP (processor) other than the added heat from the amplifier section on the AVR. Those Integra processors on accessories4less are a great deal if you need a processor but don't need Atmos or 4k support. Most of us don't. I love my Yamaha processor. Best processor I've owned to date. If it dies in the next few years it may get replaced with an Integra. A4L is selling the Integra DHC-40.2 for $349 with a 2 year warranty. Cheaper than any comparable AVR at that price point! Anyone wanting to get into separates and have no interest in Atmos/4k should try one out. Refurbed and 2 years of warranty at that price? Seems like a no-brainer to me.

Yamaha CX-A5000 - VTA ST-120 (6550 output tubes) - Salk Song Towers - Oppo 103
Vinyl Room: Emotiva PT-100 - Acurus A100 amp - Acoustic Research AR-2ax - Marantz TT42 - Oppo 103
Twas a woman who drove me to drink. I never had the decency to write and thank her ~ WC Fields
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page