Amplifier for 2000W+ Continuous Duty - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 4Likes
  • 1 Post By bunkerbuster
  • 1 Post By jjackkrash
  • 2 Post By adrummingdude
 
Thread Tools
post #1 of 15 Old 08-13-2017, 08:05 AM - Thread Starter
Newbie
 
Join Date: Sep 2014
Posts: 7
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 1
Amplifier for 2000W+ Continuous Duty

Hello everyone. I am currently in the planning stages of putting together a HT system. I am currently stymied by one problem. It seems that everywhere I look for a amplifier to power a 2000W+ subwoofer, I find contradictory information. Perhaps I do not understand the official ratings systems, but it would seem if you advertise 6000W output bridged for example, that thing better better specify 50A mains input @ 120V. It also better not advertise the fact that it is light weight. If you have any elementary knowledge on electrical circuits, then this would be obvious. I digress...

The real question I have is:
Can anyone recommend an amplifier that will constantly supply 2000W RMS to my subwoofer of choice (Stereo Integrity HS-24)? Example, if I wanted to supply it with a 20-30hz test tone, it would supply 2000W for as long as I kept it playing. (Not discharge its capacitor bank in 100 milliseconds @ 2000W and fall back to whatever the power supply could supply.)

I found cerwin-vega may make something I could work with. CV-5000, 40A Breaker for the mains. Very heavy amplifier.

Cerwin was a good brand back when I was into car audio. Their quality I think has slipped since then. Can anyone recommend something for my application?

Thanks,
B
bunkerbuster is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 15 Old 08-13-2017, 08:16 AM
Senior Member
 
gregcss's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Virginia
Posts: 392
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 194 Post(s)
Liked: 58
What are you driving that requires 2000 continuous watts and are you DIY'ing the sub? Is cost a factor?
gregcss is offline  
post #3 of 15 Old 08-13-2017, 08:21 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Knucklehead90's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: State of Confusion - 98823
Posts: 8,639
Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 504 Post(s)
Liked: 437
You won't find a 'continuous' 2000+ watt amp to drive your subwoofer. But the good news is you don't need to. There isn't a subwoofer in existence that requires a steady 2000+ watts of power - not one! Don't discount a 10 pound class D amplifier that can output 2000 watts when needed. Most home theater addicts use those diminutive little class D amps with excellent results. You might want to do some reading in the Sub forum for recommendations. I'll make one now - Crown XLS-2500/2502 - either one should work fine. Don't rate an amp's ability by weight alone. Class D amps are quite the modern marvel IMO. They are light weight and very powerful.

Yamaha CX-A5000 - VTA ST-120 (6550 output tubes) - Salk Song Towers - Oppo 103
Vinyl Room: Emotiva PT-100 - Acurus A100 amp - Acoustic Research AR-2ax - Marantz TT42 - Oppo 103
Twas a woman who drove me to drink. I never had the decency to write and thank her ~ WC Fields
Knucklehead90 is online now  
 
post #4 of 15 Old 08-13-2017, 09:28 AM
Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2014
Posts: 134
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 84 Post(s)
Liked: 49
Quote:
Originally Posted by bunkerbuster View Post
The real question I have is: Can anyone recommend an amplifier that will constantly supply 2000W RMS to my subwoofer of choice (Stereo Integrity HS-24)?
Since that driver has 93 dB sensitivity you probably don't need that level of power to drive it to reference levels. But I'm not going to try to help you separate your need from your desire to produce organ bursting levels of bass.

Take a look at the links below to get a rational understanding of what you may need:

How Much Amplifier Power Do I Need?

System Design Tools

To address your desires, look at these:

Lab Gruppen FP14000 clone amplifiers

Sanway FP14000 Class TD Professional Power Amplifier

AVS Forum member notnyt has a thread where he has tested the Sanway clone and other amps:

Measuring Amplifiers
sam_adams is offline  
post #5 of 15 Old 08-13-2017, 09:29 AM - Thread Starter
Newbie
 
Join Date: Sep 2014
Posts: 7
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by gregcss View Post
What are you driving that requires 2000 continuous watts and are you DIY'ing the sub? Is cost a factor?
Stereo Integrity HS-24

Cost can be open for now. I just want to see what is out there. Because, I cannot find anything regardless of cost as it is.
bunkerbuster is offline  
post #6 of 15 Old 08-13-2017, 09:36 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
KMFDMvsEnya's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: SLC, UT
Posts: 1,624
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 262 Post(s)
Liked: 457
I'll just leave this here for the benefit of the discussion.

Politics is like a corral, no matter where you are you'll always be shoveling it.
KMFDMvsEnya is offline  
post #7 of 15 Old 08-13-2017, 09:37 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
madhuski's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Minnesota
Posts: 1,639
Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 650 Post(s)
Liked: 352
Quote:
Originally Posted by bunkerbuster View Post
Stereo Integrity HS-24

Cost can be open for now. I just want to see what is out there. Because, I cannot find anything regardless of cost as it is.
What about SpeakerPower?

Selling in AVS Classifieds
Salk Songtower RT (RAAL)
URC MX-880 Remotes

madhuski is online now  
post #8 of 15 Old 08-13-2017, 09:44 AM - Thread Starter
Newbie
 
Join Date: Sep 2014
Posts: 7
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by KMFDMvsEnya View Post
I'll just leave this here for the benefit of the discussion.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a-njcAia6nY
Yes, pretty much!
KMFDMvsEnya likes this.
bunkerbuster is offline  
post #9 of 15 Old 08-13-2017, 10:02 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
jjackkrash's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Posts: 3,075
Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1193 Post(s)
Liked: 1029
Speaker Power. Efficient, designed and assembled in California, and used by Seaton, JTR, and Deep Sea Sound to power their big-boy subs.

Some of them have 220-240V plugs, e.g., :

http://www.speakerpower.net/store/p32/SP2-12000-HT.html

http://www.speakerpower.net/technology.html
bscool likes this.
jjackkrash is online now  
post #10 of 15 Old 08-13-2017, 11:14 AM
Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2017
Posts: 96
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Liked: 5
I just went to that website. Very nice amps. Very very good specs on the amps


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
carlthess40 is offline  
post #11 of 15 Old 08-14-2017, 05:49 AM
Advanced Member
 
vzphoneman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: upstate New York
Posts: 619
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 109 Post(s)
Liked: 109
Am I missing something .... 2000W "continuous" into a sub that could handle that much power continuously ..... with a 20-30hz test tone! Seems like that would pin you against the wall ... in even a large listening room! Your talking concert level sub power for a large venue.

The lazy man finds the easiest way ... Ben Franklin

Rouge Audio Cronus Magnum II integrated amp, Goldenear Technology's Triton 2+ speakers, Schiit Bifrost Multibit Dac, Technics SL-1200MK2 turntable with Audio Technica 440ml cartridge, Teac X-1000R reel to reel, custom computer as main music source

Last edited by vzphoneman; 08-14-2017 at 02:40 PM.
vzphoneman is offline  
post #12 of 15 Old 08-14-2017, 08:07 PM
Advanced Member
 
VisionxOrb's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: Oceanside, Ca
Posts: 807
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 193 Post(s)
Liked: 125
Quote:
Originally Posted by vzphoneman View Post
Am I missing something .... 2000W "continuous" into a sub that could handle that much power continuously ..... with a 20-30hz test tone! Seems like that would pin you against the wall ... in even a large listening room! Your talking concert level sub power for a large venue.
@BassThatHz where are you?

2000 watts of power and climbing

-Fred
VisionxOrb is offline  
post #13 of 15 Old 08-14-2017, 08:52 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
adrummingdude's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: Left Coast
Posts: 1,091
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 637 Post(s)
Liked: 443
Quote:
Originally Posted by gregcss View Post
What are you driving that requires 2000 continuous watts and are you DIY'ing the sub? Is cost a factor?
KMFDMvsEnya and vzphoneman like this.

HT: B&W 802 D2 - Martin Logan Focus - DefTech XTR-20BP - Dual SVS SB16 Ultra - Parasound Halo A21 and A31 - Anthem AVM 60 - Samsung UN65JS8500

Office 2CH: Martin Logan Motion 60Xt - Crown XLI 800 - Bluesound Node 2
WAF is currently at DEFCON ORANGE
adrummingdude is online now  
post #14 of 15 Old 08-14-2017, 09:49 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member
 
M Code's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Location: Cocati, CA
Posts: 11,281
Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 816 Post(s)
Liked: 499
Quote:
Originally Posted by bunkerbuster View Post
Hello everyone. I am currently in the planning stages of putting together a HT system. I am currently stymied by one problem. It seems that everywhere I look for a amplifier to power a 2000W+ subwoofer, I find contradictory information. Perhaps I do not understand the official ratings systems, but it would seem if you advertise 6000W output bridged for example, that thing better better specify 50A mains input @ 120V. It also better not advertise the fact that it is light weight. If you have any elementary knowledge on electrical circuits, then this would be obvious. I digress...

The real question I have is:
Can anyone recommend an amplifier that will constantly supply 2000W RMS to my subwoofer of choice (Stereo Integrity HS-24)? Example, if I wanted to supply it with a 20-30hz test tone, it would supply 2000W for as long as I kept it playing. (Not discharge its capacitor bank in 100 milliseconds @ 2000W and fall back to whatever the power supply could supply.)

I found cerwin-vega may make something I could work with. CV-5000, 40A Breaker for the mains. Very heavy amplifier.

Cerwin was a good brand back when I was into car audio. Their quality I think has slipped since then. Can anyone recommend something for my application?

Thanks,
B
Bunker..
A couple of words of caution..
1. Be sure to use hearing protection
2. Make sure the amplifier has @ least 5-6" of free-air clearance for the L/R sides and top cover

The QSC PL380 puts out 2500 watts per channel into 4 Ohms, which should meet your power output requirements. The QSC amplifiers perform very well we have used these in multiple racks for pro-audio applications. Here is a link for more info, post back if any questions..

https://www.qsc.com/live-sound/produ...-series/pl380/

Just my $0.02...
M Code is offline  
post #15 of 15 Old 08-15-2017, 06:42 AM
Senior Member
 
gregcss's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Virginia
Posts: 392
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 194 Post(s)
Liked: 58
Quote:
Originally Posted by adrummingdude View Post
Looks about right
gregcss is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off