Best "Minimal Frills" 2.1 Receiver - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 1 Old 08-15-2017, 02:09 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 53 Post(s)
Liked: 57
Best "Minimal Frills" 2.1 Receiver

I have an old Onkyo HTIB receiver (HT-R540) currently being used in a 2.1 setup. It's driving 2 Definitive StudioMonitor 55 bookshelf speakers and a powered Outlaw sub.

The little Onkyo does a respectable job for what it is, but I know my Definitives would benefit from a higher quality amp.

I don't need anything fancy...no automatic room correction, 5.1/7.1/Atmos, multiple zones, etc, though it seems like most mid-range and higher receivers these days come with most of that whether you want it or not. However, I would prefer something that would allow for 4k pass-through for the inevitable day when I go that route in this particular room.

The setup is used for movies and music, though I'm more concerned about getting quality performance on the music side. And while this obviously isn't a surround sound setup (the 5.1 setup is elsewhere), good quality when I throw in a Blu Ray would certainly be welcome as well.

I do have an old Onkyo 805 that stopped working years ago, and Onkyo is offering a small discount on a refurbished 757 should I decide to trade in the dead 805. It obviously has more features than I would need, but would I be satisfied with its audio performance?

Budget wise, I'd like to stay at $400 or below. I'm open to factory refurbished.

Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page