Question about AVR power output. - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 2Likes
  • 1 Post By jdsmoothie
  • 1 Post By 2fastgt4

post #1 of 11 Old 08-20-2017, 12:02 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 51 Post(s)
Liked: 2
Question about AVR power output.

Hi all, can you please explain what these numbers are?! RZ3100 specs says the power output is 200 w/ch and 340/ch !! so what is the exact number my speakers are getting during playback of a movie ?
*** my loudspeakers are wharfedale and their recommended amp power is 25-150w , does that mean I dont need to buy a separate amplifier and the AVR will do the job?

RZ3100 : Power Output:
200 W/Ch (6 Ohms, 1 kHz, 1% THD, 1 Channel Driven, IEC); 340 W/Ch (6 Ohms, 1 kHz, 10% THD, 1 Channel Driven, JEITA)

thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 Old 08-20-2017, 12:38 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Quoted: 707 Post(s)
Liked: 582
one is at 1% distortion and the other is at 10% distortion.......also measured at 1000hz.

I would go with the 200 watt and even then I would speculate that is some sort of peak measurement.

It comes down to the speakers really.......how many DB they do at 1 watt is a good idea of how loud it will get.

Unless you are running huge speakers your AVR should be able to push them much louder than you will even listen at continuously .....

Unless you are hosting a outdoor concert or the speakers are in the basement and you want to listen to it on the third floor, all is good.

There is no way to know really without very expensive equipment to test it, but it only takes a few watts to get pretty loud.....except for bass, which is the job of the sub and does not use the watts from the AVR.

A example is my speakers are rated 175watts rms..............I am running 7 of those speakers and my AVR is rated at 135watts per channel, almost every single AVR made is rated in to 2 channels, so that would be a total of 270 watts divided by 7 or 38.57watts per speaker MAX.......I am never at max and it gets SUPER loud because my speakers are rated at 96db at one watt. So only feeding a 175 watt speaker 1 watt gives me 96db.....

https://www.lifewire.com/power-neede...eakers-3134849

Link to budget Home Theater build

http://www.avsforum.com/forum/19-ded...i-version.html
post #3 of 11 Old 08-20-2017, 02:05 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 378 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 15054 Post(s)
Liked: 7263
Quote:
Originally Posted by OMXP View Post
Hi all, can you please explain what these numbers are?! RZ3100 specs says the power output is 200 w/ch and 340/ch !! so what is the exact number my speakers are getting during playback of a movie ?
*** my loudspeakers are wharfedale and their recommended amp power is 25-150w , does that mean I dont need to buy a separate amplifier and the AVR will do the job?

RZ3100 : Power Output:
200 W/Ch (6 Ohms, 1 kHz, 1% THD, 1 Channel Driven, IEC); 340 W/Ch (6 Ohms, 1 kHz, 10% THD, 1 Channel Driven, JEITA)

thanks
Although the RZ3100 is rated at 140W @8-ohm into 2CH, that number goes down as you add more speakers; however, what the speakers are actually receiving will depend on the volume level you are using, although on average will generally only be <10W/CH with 8-ohm speakers. Wharfedale speakers are generally 4-ohm which will require more power than 8-ohm speakers; however, whether you will need to add an external amp will depend on how loud you like to listen and the size of your room. Best to try it first without the external amp to see if you can save some money.
unretarded likes this.

post #4 of 11 Old 08-20-2017, 03:12 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdsmoothie View Post
Although the RZ3100 is rated at 140W @8-ohm into 2CH, that number goes down as you add more speakers; however, what the speakers are actually receiving will depend on the volume level you are using, although on average will generally only be <10W/CH with 8-ohm speakers. Wharfedale speakers are generally 4-ohm which will require more power than 8-ohm speakers; however, whether you will need to add an external amp will depend on how loud you like to listen and the size of your room. Best to try it first without the external amp to see if you can save some money.
My wharfedale speakers are 8-ohm, I have a 5.1 setup, the vloume level I use normally is -22db (60) showing on my current onkyo 929 avr display) . do you mean than I get 28 w/ch!!
my current avr is 185 w/ch what is the actual watt I'm getting per channel?!

thanks all
post #5 of 11 Old 08-20-2017, 03:14 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 4
It's not only the efficiency of the speakers that should be counted for. But also the impedanse. Also distance to the speakers. The industry knows people only look for high wattage amplifiers.
That's why they measure with only one channel. That gives high numbers. To measure in example 4 ohms instead of 8 ohm gives a theoretically of 2 times the effect. Also to measure in a sinus tone of 1khz (1000hz) instead of the full specter of 20hz to 20.000hz makes it easier for the amplifier to give a higher number. Music is never only a 1 khz tone. It is Dynamic an wide .
Thd is the amount of distortion. Good amplifiers measure in 0.05%thd or lower. Receivers measure often in 1% or even with 10% distortion. To gain higher numbers.
Some people can easily hear 1 % distortion.
This examples over are without the concern of thinking about the power supply and the capacity.

If an Receiver is measures to 200 watts one channel at 6 ohms at 1khz and 1%thd. it is more likely 70 watt from 20-20khz at 0.05%thd 2 channels driven at the same time. Who are listening to only one channel. It could be that the 70 watts is a little optimistic also.
post #6 of 11 Old 08-20-2017, 03:35 AM

Quote:
My wharfedale speakers are 8-ohm, I have a 5.1 setup, the vloume level I use normally is -22db (60) showing on my current onkyo 929 avr display) . do you mean than I get 28 w/ch!!
my current avr is 185 w/ch what is the actual watt I'm getting per channel?!

thanks all
If you only listen at -22db with 8-ohm speakers, then there should be no reason to add a more powerful external amp. The 929 is rated 135W/2CH so is putting out the same power as the newer RZ3100, most likely a max of about 80W/CH into your 5CH, however, the speakers are likely drawing <10W/CH on average at the -22db volume level.
post #7 of 11 Old 08-20-2017, 04:11 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Quote:
If you only listen at -22db with 8-ohm speakers, then there should be no reason to add a more powerful external amp. The 929 is rated 135W/2CH so is putting out the same power as the newer RZ3100, most likely a max of about 80W/CH into your 5CH, however, the speakers are likely drawing <10W/CH on average at the -22db volume level.
But I read that an amp will make the front speakers produce better sound , will it make a difference in my case in sound quality (not talking about watts).

thanks
post #8 of 11 Old 08-20-2017, 04:36 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 4
Absolutely . If the amp is of better quality.
yanks1 likes this.
post #9 of 11 Old 08-20-2017, 12:22 PM

Quote:
But I read that an amp will make the front speakers produce better sound , will it make a difference in my case in sound quality (not talking about watts).

thanks
Not at the same volume as you would use the internal amps, no.
post #10 of 11 Old 08-21-2017, 01:41 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Not at the same volume as you would use the internal amps, no.
Do you mean more than -22db to feel the difference?

btw .. I hear clipping sound from my avr when I reach this volume level during movie peaks!

Last edited by OMXP; 08-21-2017 at 01:48 AM.
post #11 of 11 Old 08-21-2017, 02:48 AM

Quote:
Do you mean more than -22db to feel the difference?

btw .. I hear clipping sound from my avr when I reach this volume level during movie peaks!
If you are hearing clipping, then using a more powerful amp (eg. 250W+) should prevent that from occurring.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page