Replacing an aging BK Ref 50 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 2 Old 08-20-2017, 09:27 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 55 Post(s)
Liked: 52
Replacing an aging BK Ref 50

I'm looking for ease of use, quality surround decoding. I am not concerned about 2 channel as I am using a VTL 5.5 with HT bypass for 2 channel. So it will be used only for movies and TV.

It is going in a dedicated room. Speakers are Revel F208's and C208 for the front. The room is currently a 7.1 configuration. Front amp is a Parasound A31 the side and rear channels are powered by an aging Sunfire 200wpc amp.

Will be building a new home soon with an H/T that will be Atoms capable.

Any suggestion or thoughts?

Thanks Gary

Have fun with music and HT

Gary
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 2 Old 08-20-2017, 06:21 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 58 Post(s)
Liked: 91
Well, I have been a fan of separates from the very beginning, and thus years ago spent a ridiculous amount of money on pre-amps (started with a Proceed AVP, then upgraded to Proceed AVP2), but soon realized that it was a losing proposition. Every few years there was something new, rendering the old system somewhat obsolete. The upgrade path was more expensive than throwing away and buying new.

Thus when I upgraded again, I decided to get the 'cheapest high end' (if there is such a thing) pre-amp. Integra (high end Onkyo) makes great stuff, but the Onkyo pre-pro is essentially a rebadged Integra, minus some tweeks, and 1 year less warrantee. I ended up getting a Onkyo PR-885 directly from Onkyo but 'refurbished'. I cannot remember but it was essentially half the price of new but it was basically new, without a scratch. 4-5 years latter I am still happy, but now I want Atmos, and 4K pass through, thus it is time to upgrade again and so I just ordered the Onkyo RZ-5100 this time new (as they did not have any refurbished). If you search, you can find the 'street' price pretty reasonable. I am surprized that this pre-amp does not get more love here on AVS.

I have nothing but good things to say about Onkyo's pre-pro's, and for the most part they are built differently than the rest of Onkyo's receivers. The new pre-pro weighs over 30lb's. That is heavier than most receivers and suggests to me quality parts are used. I think people get turned off when they hear the name Onkyo which is to bad, because they are pretty good.

Xbox and PS3 Gamertag = Xerostomia
Wii = I'm too lazy to get the number
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page