AVRs and HDMI Variable Refresh Rate - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 4 Old 08-21-2017, 04:11 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 10
AVRs and HDMI Variable Refresh Rate

Back at CES the announcement of HDMI 2.1 appeared to be very much forward looking. I’m not holding my breath for 8K content and displays, so I’d be completely content jumping in with the current generation of receivers except for one little tidbit: the addition of Variable Refresh Rate as part of the specification.

This will be a huge boon for gaming when it’s fully adopted and the announcement suggested that it’s not dependent on the new 48Gbps bandwidth, but could be adopted by HDMI 2.0 class hardware. Indeed, Microsoft claimed it would be supported by the Xbox One X once the standard was finalized.

The obvious question is whether any AVR will be able to pass VRR content. Have any manufacturers commented on this? I can’t find anything concrete following the original announcement that HDMI 2.1 would be finalized in Q2, now in the past.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 Old 08-21-2017, 10:33 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 561 Post(s)
Liked: 299
Considering no AVR yet has hdmi 2.1 the answer is no.

Whether it can be added as a software upgrade over HDMI 2.0a remains to be seen, though to support 48gbps will require new hardware.
post #3 of 4 Old 08-22-2017, 03:32 PM - Thread Starter

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 10
As explicitly stated in the HDMI 2.1announcement, some announced new features do not require the 48Gbps bandwidth. Microsoft has confirmed that VRR is one such feature by committing to support it with the Xbox One X which has HDMI 2.0 class hardware.

The real question is when the required specifications will be finalized and whether any AVR manufacturers will support the feature with firmware upgrades or future models. I had hoped that Q2 would bring more answers, or that there might be news tied in with the console’s pending release, but that hasn’t been the case so far. Next CES, perhaps? In the meantime I’m left wondering whether to jump in with a new AVR or limp along with my current setup.

post #4 of 4 Old 08-22-2017, 04:05 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Per

wwwdotceprodotcomarticle/new_hdmi_2_1_specification_supports_8k60hz_with_hd r_4k120hz

Not enough posts to post a link

Some of this year's hardware will meet the future spec thus needing only a firmware update. I have no clue if the Xbox will though.

My avr is locked at 60hz max so to run my pc through I'm losing 50 to 80 frames (no go for me) so I can be of no help to the op sorry

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page