AVS Forum banner

2 channel Receiver that passes 4K?

5K views 24 replies 14 participants last post by  dylanmitchel 
#1 ·
So which manufacturer has a two channel stereo receiver that passes 4K? Looking at Denon and Marantz websites yield multi channel, not two channel. I'm sure I'm missing someone out there....

Thanks for the info!
Killer

#2 ·
Onkyo TX-8270 Network Stereo Receiver with Built-In HDMI, Wi-Fi & Bluetooth will pass 4K

Connect up to four media players to the receiver's HDCP 2.2-compliant HDMI® inputs. The terminals support pass-through of 4K/60 Hz video, 4K HDR in HDR10 or Dolby Vision™ formats, as well as BT.2020 4K video standard. Enjoy premium 4K Ultra HD content untouched from source to screen.

#4 ·
Get a Marantz NR1607 and use it as a 2 ch receiver, period!!!

Reactions: GIEGAR
#6 ·
If you want to blow a bundle the Lyngdorf tdai-2170, with hdmi module. Nad is working on a 4K module that will be used with the NAD c368, c388, and M32 Masters.

I wish here were more. I like having room correction and none of these offer room correction except Lyngdorf, so I bought the Anthem MRX 520 5 channel avr. Bare bones compared to most AVRs which is what I want. It's almost like having an integrated with room correction, hdmi and a tuner with 3 extra amp channels. I only do 2.0 and the anthem was the closest thing to checking all my boxes.

#8 · (Edited)
Do you intend to run a sub with it at some stage? If so, there's no bass management capability on those few 2 channel receivers.*** A summed full range copy of the main channels is simply routed to the sub out jack and you're expected to LPF it at the sub. There's no simple way to HPF the mains, which defeats half the purpose of running a sub; hiving off high excursion low bass.

The digital bass management provided by even the most entry-level 5.1 AVR is worth the trade-off of a few idle amp channels, IMO. The Marantz NR ("Slimline") series are a good option because you're only paying for modest amps and they have main channel pre-outs, if a power amp really is warranted.

Edit: *** The Onkyo TX-8720 and Integra DTM-7 do in fact have basic management capability; that is, to redirect bass from the main channels. Neither unit appears to have Dolby Digital or DTS decoders, so an LFE channel cannot be processed.

#11 · (Edited)
I'm pretty sure the Onkyo does have bass management, it has dedicated sub outs and I saw this in the manual [page 37]:
Thanks mate, good catch! I appreciate the correction. I'll go back and edit my post.

This capability makes the Onkyo TX-8270 and stablemate Integra DTM-7 (linked earlier) a couple of very good options for OP @Killer.

Onkyo TX-8270: $450 open box or $400 factory refurbished (currently sold out).

#13 ·
Just an update: I bought the Integra DTM-7 and am super happy with it so far. I don't have my new TV yet so I haven't tested it with 4k content but it's working perfectly with my existing hardware [Tivo, PS4, Apple TV, Sony Blu-Ray player, Airplay audio from my computer]. It was a snap to set up and sounds great. I'll post more impressions once I get my new TV and 4K hardware connected. My only gripe would be with the remote, it's a little '90s feeling with the tiny identical buttons, etc. I wonder if a newer Onkyo replacement remote would work with it?

#16 ·
Thanks for the update.

An Onkyo remote would probably work. You could also look into a universal remote to control all your devices. I got a Harmony Touch a several years ago (after our PVR's remote went on the blink) and it still does the job well with an Onkyo AVR and three sources.

#15 · (Edited)
I got sick of receiver shopping between HDCP 2.2, Dolby Vision, handshaking issues, calibration types, sloppy user interfaces, half-assed CEC, bad remotes and BS power specs. I was running 3.1 before with no plans for rear or height channels, a lot of the speakers I was considering [and the ones I ended up with] were 4Ω and pretty much nothing under a grand can drive 3 channels at that impedance. It also helps that I got a deal on a refurb model and some clearance speakers for $200 less total than my original receiver budget alone.

I'll probably go back to at least 3.1 in a couple years once the HDR format wars are over, 4k handshaking is sorted and HDMI 2.1 is common. For now this works great and if I get an itch to try out some weird speakers I know it'll drive them. I'm enjoying the simplicity of the setup as well, after dealing with menus for years having Bass and Treble knobs on the front panel is almost refreshing.

#17 ·
Incredible...
The mentioned stereo receivers from Onkyo and Integra both lack a key component feature...
No Pre-Outs or Main-Ins.. Yet both models retail for >$500..
Before designing a new stereo receiver model these brands need to do some market research about desired market features & typical use cases... :rolleyes:

Just my $0.02.. ;)

#19 ·
Before designing a new stereo receiver model these brands need to do some market research about desired market features & typical use cases... :rolleyes:
I guarantee you they did a ton of market research and found that people who care about things like pre-outs are way upmarket from the $400-700 price points these list for. This thing deliberately had stereo pre outs excluded, it probably would have cost them maybe a dollar for the jacks and extra soldering. They could probably remove the amp entirely and stick XLRs on the back of the DTM-7/8270 platform and charge 2 grand for it, as long as it was branded something more exciting and had a sexier design. Separates shoppers are a whole different market for them than customers who buy $500 receivers.

It's a shame, really. If they had stereo pre outs this would be a killer product and would be a great way for analog folks to integrate HDMI and streaming into their systems. Don't be surprised if there's one next year with pre outs [plus a few other features] for $200-400 more.

#18 · (Edited)
FWIW, I've never owned a receiver or processor that fit my needs exactly without also having features I never use. That's a pretty tall order IMO. Especially these days, I'm happy as a clam with my 5.2 setup, but try to find a processor that does ONLY 5.2 but also passes 4k HDR via HDCP 2.2, has balanced preouts, advanced room correction and multiple 12v triggers. Doesn't exist. Everything with those features is also set up to run many more speakers than I use. I buy it anyway and just don't run that many speakers.

Along those lines, I'll echo some other posters and say to the OP, just buy a multi channel receiver. If your speakers are bi-ampable, many multi channel receivers can accommodate that too, so you wont be letting so many amps sit idle. Or you can buy a receiver that has the ability to turn off the amps you don't need if you'd like, but having amps running with no speakers attached isn't an issue with modern designs.

#20 ·
Does the 8270 pass the LFE track to the sub out when receiving a surround signal. This test claims it does not:

https://www.lowbeats.de/test-onkyo-tx-8270-stereo-receiver-mit-hdmi/2/

"Einen kleinen Pferdefuß habe ich leider in Kombination mit Surround-Quellen gefunden. Selbst wenn man mit Subwoofer arbeitet, richtet sich Onkyo für den Stereo-Downmix streng nach Dolby-Vorschrift und lässt den Low-Frequency-Effects-Kanal (LFE, das „.1“) einfach weg. Schade, denn mit Subwoofer und auch dank genügend Power der Endstufen mit großen Lautsprechern wäre der hier angebracht. An dieser Stelle wird etwas Potenzial verschenkt."

#21 · (Edited)
My understanding is that it uses a 2.0 stereo mixdown for all surround signals which does not have an LFE channel but includes the full frequency signal. I watched Mad Max Fury Road this weekend and it gave my sub a workout, it's not like they just exclude the bass. Maybe if someone else gets one they could A/B it with a multichannel receiver running 2.1 to see if it's actually different.

edit: Some poking around seems to indicate that some early Dolby Digital decoders did just throw away the LFE channel during 2.0 mixdown but that's definitely not what this receiver does.

#23 ·
IMO it would be nice if there was a Processor only (IE not a receiver) that would be a bit minimalist, IE 1x HDMI in, 1x HDMI out, support ARC (so the TV remote can control the volume) have an L and R out, and use very high quality DAC's (IE 32bit/384khz)

I know I'd be interested, as in my bed room I just added a MiniDSP 2x4HD that I'm going to use initially as just a crossover (to do 2.2), and eventually full room EQ, and it'd be nice if the sound source (Currently the L/R RCA's on the TV) were higher quality.

#25 ·
Posting a Integra DX 7 question here vs a new threat even though it's a bit of an old thread.

For 2 channel stereo in 2.1 set up with pair of Q150's and Speedwoofer 10S how would you set up the Integra DTM 7? If there's no digital decoder how is Dolby or DTS providing a 2 channel stereo signal for the receiver? Also without a decoders, how is sub LFE channel processed and sent to active sub woofer via pre amp/ lfe/ sub out?

Coming from a 2 channel stereo receiver with optical in I send stereo pcm signal too from tv. Roku and cable box go to tv with both set to stereo option then optical cord send pcm from tv to 2 channel receiver. For music CD player connects via second optical and for streaming music it come from roku or smart phone via bluetooth.

Main questions is what receiver is best options for getting signals including dolby and dts into 2 channel format for 2.1 stereo home theatre/ home music set up. Integra DX 7 or other 2 channel receiver with optical in would like have better amp and dac vs avr like Integra vx 3 or Marants NR series in same price range. Just want great audio quality and good sound for moderate volumes not trying to rock out the neighborhood so 50 to 80 amp receiver with quality over specs is what I want. Companies with legit specs often perform better a well build 50 watt receiver or avr that's Marantz or Integra or Anthem like quality is the goal. Anthem MRX 520 is the easy answer but I'm in the $500 to $700 range so that's out of the current budget unless I find someone selling a used one.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.