Help with Audio Dropouts - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 7 Old 08-23-2017, 07:02 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 1
Help with Audio Dropouts

I'm not sure if this is the right area to post this as it crosses several forum topics, but any help would be immensely appreciated!! My setup is: an Onkyo TX-NR545 receiver with a 5.1 setup, as well as a JVC DLA-X770R projector connected to two sources -- a Sony bluray player and Verizon Fios via a Motorola Arris VMS1100 client cable box.

The problem is that I experience random audio cutouts when watching live TV via FIOS (no issue with the bluray player). I've had a couple of Verizon techs come and replace cables, splitters, the box itself to no avail. And after a great deal of research I found many people with similar issues claiming there is simply an incompatibility with some cables boxes and some receivers when using HDMI that causes a recurring handshake issue and audio cutouts like this.

I've seen two potential solutions (other suggestions are welcome). The first was to use a hidden setting in the cable box to set the audio to 2-channel PCM. I tried that and it did indeed completely solve the problem, however I then lose surround sound.

The second option I've seen is to use an optical cable for the audio. My question is regarding this approach. Can I still use HDMI for the video (from the cable box to the receiver), and use the optical cable for the sound (for Fios only), then use HDMI only for the bluray player? I would prefer not to connect the HDMI from the cable box directly to the projector, since I use the receiver to switch inputs and I don't want to complicate the setup. I would also prefer not to use component cables for Verizon as I understand there might be a slight loss in quality from conversion.

My other questions is if there might be any simpler answers. Is it possible that switching to a different brand of the Verizon box might solve the problem, or would a higher up Onkyo model solve this... any other suggestions?

Thanks to anyone who can offer guidance/ suggestions!

Aaron
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old 08-23-2017, 07:32 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 18
I have the exact same issue with the VMS1100 going to an Anthem D2v-3D via HDMI. Never had the issue with the older Motorola DVR box. I have just lived with it to be honest as I don’t want to lose surround by switching to PCM. I am not familiar with your Onkyo but the Anthem can be configured per source where it gets its audio and video signal from. Getting the latest technology sometimes is a step back unfortunately...

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
post #3 of 7 Old 08-23-2017, 07:34 AM

Oh and PS...my brother has the same issue after upgrading to FiOS quantum with VMS1100 to Marantz receiver.

post #4 of 7 Old 08-23-2017, 08:32 AM - Thread Starter

Thanks for your reply! Out of curiosity if I can configure the sound to come from an optical cable, wouldn't that have no loss in quality, since as I understand it, optical can carry Dolby, just not higher formats that nothing is broadcast in anyway... is that right.
post #5 of 7 Old 08-23-2017, 11:46 AM

Correct the higher resolution audio, eg, TrueHD, DTS HD, cannot pass via optical. Which we don’t get out of the VMS anyway. I may give it a try one day but getting behind the rack is a pain.

post #6 of 7 Old 08-23-2017, 05:56 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks!
post #7 of 7 Old 08-24-2017, 06:45 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 2172 Post(s)
Liked: 1754
I had that issue with a Comcast (Motorola) box in our family room to a Sony AVR. Ended up going the optical route since the best out of the cable box was 5.1 anyway, problem solved.

"After silence, that which best expresses the inexpressible, is music" - Aldous Huxley
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page