Emotiva RMC-1 AV Processor Demoed at CEDIA 2017 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 195Likes

post #1 of 166 Old 09-11-2017, 01:06 PM - Thread Starter
Mark Henninger

Mentioned: 271 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6496 Post(s)
Liked: 11250
Emotiva RMC-1 AV Processor Demoed at CEDIA 2017

If you factor in price, the best demo I heard at CEDIA 2017 came from Emotiva. No question.

Click this link to read more: Emotiva RMC-1 AV Processor Demoed at CEDIA 2017

Also, look at these happy guys:

That's because they won this award:

Mark Henninger, Senior Editor at AVS Forum
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 166 Old 09-11-2017, 01:18 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 88 Post(s)
Liked: 30
The fact they didn't demo the 9.x.6 system has me a little worried. That's truly the selling point of this AVR and almost shocked they wouldn't want to showcase that in its debut.
Spizz, BIG RED and Manni01 like this.

FS: 3 Speakercraft AIM2 LCR5 Five - PM Me

Marantz SR7010 - Emotiva XPA-3 Gen 3 - SeymourAV 16:9 Premier 130" XD - Sony VPL-VW60 - 7.2.4 - L/C/R SVS Ultra Bookshelf - Surrounds SpeakerCraft AIM LCR5Three - Ceiling SpeakerCraft AIM 8 - Klipsch R110sw - Def Tech Supercube 6000
post #3 of 166 Old 09-11-2017, 01:26 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 28 Post(s)
Quoted: 288 Post(s)
Liked: 283
I can't wait for the RMC-1 to be in my equipment rack!!! Now I have to hurry and build my room so when it becomes available for purchase I can buy.

post #4 of 166 Old 09-11-2017, 01:26 PM - Thread Starter
Mark Henninger

Quote:
Originally Posted by klimo View Post
The fact they didn't demo the 9.x.6 system has me a little worried. That's truly the selling point of this AVR and almost shocked they wouldn't want to showcase that in its debut.
They cannot demo something that does not yet exist, i.e. the code for Atmos to run 9.1.6 natively on a DSP-based solution. But Emotiva is not the only maker of a DSP-based Atmos solution to tell me 9.1.6 is coming. They all hope by the end of 2017, which I'm filing under "fingers crossed." But there is a clear indication this capability is coming, which may be why you are seeing 16-channel devices pop up, other than Trinnov's one-off custom solution that can do it, but obviously at much greater cost than the Emotiva.
mtbdudex and ALtlOff like this.

post #5 of 166 Old 09-11-2017, 01:27 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 69 Post(s)
Quoted: 2244 Post(s)
Liked: 2408
Shouldn't it be a fully functional unit before winning a "Best of" award? Maybe "most promising" award. I am hopeful this makes it, but the track record thus far has been very poor.

Last edited by Molon_Labe; 09-12-2017 at 05:55 AM.
post #6 of 166 Old 09-11-2017, 01:28 PM - Thread Starter
Mark Henninger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Molon_Labe View Post
Shouldn't it be a fully functional unit before winning a "Best of " award? Maybe most promising award at best.
It is fully functional. Other AVRs and such also wait for firmware updates to activate features, that's nothing unusual.

Last edited by imagic; 09-11-2017 at 02:23 PM.
post #7 of 166 Old 09-11-2017, 01:28 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 545 Post(s)
Liked: 419
Happy the Beast is finally making it's way to the public, it's been a long time but good things come to those how wait! Unless you spend your kids college fund on some other high-er end unit!

Great right up Mark, I'm surely excited even though it's out my price range at the moment, even with my (Buyer for Life club )thing!

Funny, visually I'm slightly disappointed which I know does not add anything to the sound quality but that knob, hmm it's just protruding out like an ugly outie! A recess knob would have been a more refined look for my taste! Either way I'm glad the folks at Emotiva did their thing! Kudos to them!

Djoel
ALtlOff likes this.
post #8 of 166 Old 09-11-2017, 01:33 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 339 Post(s)
Liked: 214
Quote:
Originally Posted by imagic View Post
They cannot demo something that does not yet exist, i.e. the code for Atmos to run 9.1.6 natively on a DSP-based solution. But Emotiva is not the only maker of a DSP-based Atmos solution to tell me 9.1.6 is coming. They all hope by the end of 2017, which I'm filing under "fingers crossed." But there is a clear indication this capability is coming, which may be why you are seeing 16-channel devices pop up, other than Trinnov's one-off custom solution that can do it, but obviously at much greater cost than the Emotiva.
So one presumes that this box will require a DSP chip swap when the 16-channel one becomes available, along with new firmware undoubtedly. I wonder if the cost will go up, or if they've built that in, and whether they have had prototype chips in to play with and get the firmware ball rolling.

Either way, this is promising. Hopefully other manufacturers are getting going on their 14-16 channel designs . . .

Edit: You seem to be suggesting that the current DSP chip can do the job, once the firmware for the chip is released. Is that supposed to be the case?

post #9 of 166 Old 09-11-2017, 01:35 PM

Quoted: 80 Post(s)
Liked: 67
Quote:
It is fully functional. Other AVRs and such also wait for firmware updates to activate features, that's nothing unusual.
Exactly......unfortunately they have to wait on outside folks to finish their work to finalize the product before launch.....
post #10 of 166 Old 09-11-2017, 01:36 PM

Quoted: 80 Post(s)
Liked: 67
Quote:
Originally Posted by bkeeler10 View Post
So one presumes that this box will require a DSP chip swap when the 16-channel one becomes available, along with new firmware undoubtedly. I wonder if the cost will go up, or if they've built that in, and whether they have had prototype chips in to play with and get the firmware ball rolling.

Either way, this is promising. Hopefully other manufacturers are getting going on their 14-16 channel designs . . .
Price isn't rising......$5k is the price they will release at, confirmed by Dan Laufman in person at Emofest.....
BBLV likes this.
post #11 of 166 Old 09-11-2017, 01:39 PM - Thread Starter
Mark Henninger

Quote:

Edit: You seem to be suggesting that the current DSP chip can do the job, once the firmware for the chip is released. Is that supposed to be the case?
Not suggesting... That is the case. Plenty of DSP headroom to handle it. No hardware swap for 9.1.6, just firmware.
bkeeler10 and ALtlOff like this.

Last edited by imagic; 09-11-2017 at 01:58 PM.
post #12 of 166 Old 09-11-2017, 01:39 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 339 Post(s)
Liked: 214
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cutler View Post
Price isn't rising......$5k is the price they will release at, confirmed by Dan Laufman in person at Emofest.....
Do you know if they intend to wait to release it until the 9.1.6 code is available? Or may they release it sooner and update when it is time?

post #13 of 166 Old 09-11-2017, 01:40 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 430 Post(s)
Liked: 339
Why does virtually everything they manufacture look like something you'd want if a doctor told you your vision would be depleted 80% in the next 3 months? Are those 1" high characters? I've seen slot machines with more subtlety.

But I suppose this is the kind of gaudy "look at me" that's precisely what a percentage are going for.

James
BIG RED and duckymomo like this.

My Parlor and Theatre: "Jimbo's Dugout" : http://www.avsforum.com/forum/15-gen...re-parlor.html

Actual phone call (see pic to left):
 Tech (responding to laughter): "I'm sorry sir, did I miss something?"
Me: "Yeah, a case of Diet Mountain Dew walking across my living room."

Last edited by mastermaybe; 09-11-2017 at 01:44 PM.
post #14 of 166 Old 09-11-2017, 01:41 PM - Thread Starter
Mark Henninger

Quote:
Do you know if they intend to wait to release it until the 9.1.6 code is available? Or may they release it sooner and update when it is time?
It's not clear what will come first, the RMC-1 shipping or the 9.1.6 Atmos update for Analog Devices DSPs.

post #15 of 166 Old 09-11-2017, 01:41 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 65 Post(s)
Quoted: 262 Post(s)
Liked: 357
"However, Emotiva explicitly noted that 9.1.6 Atmos decoding is coming to the RMC-1 later this year."

Dang, 9.1.6 went from $20k to $5k in 2.5 years. This is fantastic. Here's hoping the bugs are worked out by the time I'm ready to buy a pre-pro. (Gotta build the room first. ^_^)
stef2, bulls and mtbdudex like this.
post #16 of 166 Old 09-11-2017, 01:44 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Would you consider the below minor feature activation? I wasn't there, so I will let you two discuss the matter.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marc Alexander View Post
The processor was "an early engineering build". No Dirac, just decoding and volume control. They used a Dolby demo disc. There was a low crackle I could hear from the rears whenever the Blu-ray player switched from PCM (menu) to Atmos. Rory@emotiva confirmed it was not my imagination, they are aware of the problem. Someone asked if we could hear some music in True HD from the sampler and we were told that the processor is not properly decoding non-atmos tracks (say what?).
post #17 of 166 Old 09-11-2017, 01:45 PM - Thread Starter
Mark Henninger

Quote:
Would you consider the below minor feature activation? I wasn't there, so I will let you two discuss the matter.
Where did I say minor? Once upon a time it was Atmos itself, or DTS:X that were firmware feature activations. Or Dolby Vision. So... major features sometimes have to wait for firmware.

As to the rest...

Someone was having a bad day, or maybe just bad hour. Or maybe had a bad seat? That's what it looks like. Not sure who, but at show demos sometimes things happen. I can't judge. Especially with bass and subs, if you are sitting in a null, that can be an issue. Response can't be perfect in every seat in a room like that.

Crackles? Weak subs? Why would I debate that, I wrote what I heard. I was not listening for between-scene crackles. It would be something to discuss if I were in the room at the same time with someone else reporting a different experience, but it would seem that was definitely not the case, based on the vastly different experiences described. Or maybe it really is that subjective?

As for Dirac... looking forward to hearing even better fidelity from this beast.

OK, so it's not "fully functional" fine. But, it ran the demo and I thought it sounded fantastic. And really, let's say for a minute it has the issues described, then who knows what was wrong with many of the other systems at the show, lol.
LCSeminole and Molon_Labe like this.

Last edited by imagic; 09-11-2017 at 02:49 PM.
post #18 of 166 Old 09-11-2017, 02:03 PM - Thread Starter
Mark Henninger

Quote:
I am not trying to stir a pot, but you say its a finished product. Another member says Emotiva told them it was an early engineering build. I am just trying to determine how far along this product is to market. Could you not confirm this directly with Emotiva?
OK I apologize. A finished product is something ready to ship. I concede, it is a show demo unit. Still don't know when it will ship exactly, no. Well, I know AVS Forum and no good deed goes unpunished. The RMC-1 made sound. I was happy, others were not, to each their own.
bulls and ALtlOff like this.

post #19 of 166 Old 09-11-2017, 02:03 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Where did I say minor? Once upon a time it was Atmos itself, or DTS:X that were firmware feature activations. Or Dolby Vision. So... major features sometimes have to wait for firmware.

As to the rest...

Someone was having a bad day, or maybe just bad hour. Or maybe had a bad seat? That's what it looks like. Not sure who, but at show demos sometimes things happen.

Crackles? Weak subs? Why would I debate that, I wrote what I heard. It would be something to discuss if we were in the room at the same time, but it would seem that was definitely not the case, based on the vastly different experiences described.

As for Dirac... looking forward to hearing even better fidelity from this best.

OK, so it's not "fully functional" fine. But, it ran the demo and I thought it sounded fantastic. And really, let's say for a minute it has the issues described, then who knows what was wrong with many of the other systems at the show, lol.
Thanks....I am actually watching this with hopes of owning one. I think our post got crossed up during edit. Sorry for the confusion....looking forward to updates.
post #20 of 166 Old 09-11-2017, 02:06 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 524 Post(s)
Liked: 242
The Marantz 8804 is going to do at least 7.1.6 which we know will work out of the box and not near as ugly as this thing.
martian4000 likes this.
post #21 of 166 Old 09-11-2017, 02:07 PM - Thread Starter
Mark Henninger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave-T View Post
The Marantz 8804 is going to do at least 7.1.6 which we know will work out of the box and not near as ugly as this thing.
I'm always baffled at people who focus on the ascetics of an AV processor. When is it ever the case that you're looking at your AV processor at the same time you're watching a movie? I'd use an AV processor that looks like a microwave oven if it sounded great.

post #22 of 166 Old 09-11-2017, 02:11 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 485 Post(s)
Liked: 207
post #23 of 166 Old 09-11-2017, 02:13 PM - Thread Starter
Mark Henninger

Quote:
Originally Posted by mlah384 View Post
So when can one buy it and start having fun?
I'll keep asking, OK? First quarter 2018 is the word, so if Dolby hustles maybe it'll ship with 9.1.6. As I keep saying, fingers crossed. For all this stuff.
BIG RED and mlah384 like this.

post #24 of 166 Old 09-11-2017, 02:15 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 430 Post(s)
Liked: 339
Quote:
I'm always baffled at people who focus on the ascetics of an AV processor. When is it ever the case that you're looking at your AV processor at the same time you're watching a movie? I'd use an AV processor that looks like a microwave oven if it sounded great.
I'm sure you meant "aesthetics"? Assuming such, why would you be "baffled"? I wouldn't call it a "focus" of anyone's, simply a valid- even if minor- criticism. If it's not important and basically unseen during use, why make it look like a knight rider dashboard in the first place?

Doesn't make a lot of sense to me...and apparently virtually every other AVR/PRE PRO OEM.

As for the number of people who have the unit in a cabinet either directly below or adjacent to their displays- I'd say we're safely in the thousands. I know. Turn it off. And have nothing visible. Or, just make it somewhat sensibly sized/illuminated.

James

My Parlor and Theatre: "Jimbo's Dugout" : http://www.avsforum.com/forum/15-gen...re-parlor.html

Actual phone call (see pic to left):
 Tech (responding to laughter): "I'm sorry sir, did I miss something?"
Me: "Yeah, a case of Diet Mountain Dew walking across my living room."

Last edited by mastermaybe; 09-11-2017 at 02:19 PM.
post #25 of 166 Old 09-11-2017, 02:17 PM - Thread Starter
Mark Henninger

Quote:
Originally Posted by mastermaybe View Post
Why would you be "baffled"? I wouldn't call it a "focus" of anyone's, simply a valid- even if minor- criticism. If it's not important and basically unseen during use, why make it look like a knight rider dashboard in the first place?

Doesn't make a lot of sense to me...and apparently virtually every other AVR/PRE PRO OEM.

Jame
Hey, no sweat off my back, I'm sharing an opinion, just like you.

post #26 of 166 Old 09-11-2017, 02:26 PM

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 70 Post(s)
Liked: 31
In looking at the back, they would be re-configuring the 2 sub outs to function as middle height channels. If they are not doing a hardware swap, then channel re-mapping would be the only other alternative. Given their approach in the past, I think it will either be released as 9.1.6 or have an upgrade option down the road to swap out the back panels; since there has been no discussion from Emotiva that they will have channel re-mapping available. As all this hoopla for 9.1.6, I would suggest to fellow forum members to check your walls and ceiling to see if you can actually fit any more speakers into that space (wife permitting) before getting too excited.

Thanks for the write up Mark.
post #27 of 166 Old 09-11-2017, 02:35 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 524 Post(s)
Liked: 242
Quote:
i really do not care about how it looks just how it performs. I was just commenting that the thing is god ugly, I was not trying to push your buttons or anything just making an observation. I was really commenting on the 8804 will do something out of the more than 7.1.4, but it sounds like the RMC-1 will not until it get a firmware update.
post #28 of 166 Old 09-11-2017, 02:37 PM - Thread Starter
Mark Henninger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave-T View Post
i really do not care about how it looks just how it performs. I was just commenting that the thing is god ugly, I was not trying to push your buttons or anything just making an observation. I was really commenting on the 8804 will do something out of the more than 7.1.4, but it sounds like the RMC-1 will not until it get a firmware update.
I hear ya. Maybe it's just me, but to my eyes all black boxes look just about the same. I was kind of poking fun because, well, that's my take on AVRs and pre-pros.

No DSP-based Atmos solution will do more than 7.1.4 until there's an update for the DSP. Everyone is waiting for the same thing, only trinnov has a solution (proprietary) that works right now. If the goal is to go beyond native 11-channel Atmos rendering, Emotiva and Denon/Marantz are basically waiting for the same thing, AFAIK.
mtbdudex and ALtlOff like this.

post #29 of 166 Old 09-11-2017, 02:40 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 1436 Post(s)
Liked: 781
Quote:
My equipment rack is beneath the TV, across from the couch.

I can't help but look at my rack when watching a movie, so obnoxious displays are not appreciated unless they can readily be switched off.

My bigger issue is why do they keep making these things so ridiculously tall? They could easily fit the back jack complement onto something the height of a Lexicon CP-8 or a Krell Foundation, so do they just make them 10" so people think they're worth the money? There are not rows and rows of S-Video plus composite jacks anymore, just HDMI, digital in and XLR out.

Last edited by kucharsk; 09-11-2017 at 02:44 PM.
post #30 of 166 Old 09-11-2017, 02:51 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Take my money
Geronimo.USMC likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

Tags
av processor , dolby atmos , emotiva rmc-1