QSC Q-Sys: Immersive Audio Channel Expansion (Atmos and Beyond) - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 13Likes

post #1 of 87 Old 09-17-2017, 06:24 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 48 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1386 Post(s)
Liked: 1437
QSC Q-Sys: Immersive Audio Channel Expansion (Atmos and Beyond)

Long have I searched for a solution enabling a full immersive experience. Throughout the duration of the three-year effort to build The Beast, Unleashed, there was always an interrogative undertone when I engaged in A/V processor discussions: how am I going to get audio signals to my 11 bed speakers, six atmos speakers, and ten subwoofers? Simply duplicating the signals--easily accomplished with splitters--was insufficient, as the speakers also required digital signal processing, inclusive of delays, parametric equalization, and other facets required to tune a speaker in its location within the room. A fellow AVS member then introduced me to the QSC Q-Sys line of DSPs: the core 110f, the core 250i, and the core 500i. (Note: the core 250i is no longer produced due to chipset OEM going out of business). These DSPs have enough flexibility to properly spread and process channel signals to complete the immersive experience for rooms with large channel counts.

The below video from my home cinema web series contains information on the Qsys architecture. Also including a snapshot of my theater layout to offer an idea of why I required the QSC DSPs. I heartily recommend these units, along with the I/O Extenders.

Here are the products:

Here is my current schematic for what I consider to be the most immersive experience I've ever encountered:

Here is the iPad interface design for control of the front speakers and subwoofers:

Here is the iPad interface design for rapid control of the entire system:
Attached Images
File Type: jpg QSC Q-Sys Products.JPG (85.7 KB, 467 views)
File Type: jpg QSC Schematic.JPG (253.3 KB, 471 views)
File Type: jpg QSC UCI-Front.JPG (45.7 KB, 465 views)
File Type: jpg QSC Control Panel.JPG (98.8 KB, 470 views)

Last edited by BrolicBeast; 09-17-2017 at 06:36 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 87 Old 09-18-2017, 10:10 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

I wanted to keep the alternative options out of the first post since these devices will still be relevant after the lifecycles of the alternatives conclude. This is intended as an alternative to Trinnov Altitude, Datasat RS20i, and other high-end, ultra-high speaker count solutions that either cost as much as an entry level luxury car, or are already doing the same thing but with less flexibility, due to Pre/Pro chipset limitations (you'd be surprised).

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro
post #3 of 87 Old 09-18-2017, 10:32 AM

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 82 Post(s)
Liked: 32
Thanks for creating this link Matt. Hopefully it won't be the two of us who only reads and post here.

While I'm still putting together my design and UCI to post here (at least make it publicly presentable), a little bit of info for those interested about the Cores. After speaking with QSC the other day regarding a lack of a power switch, I was advised that they are actually designed to run in a 24/7 environment much like an ethernet switch. Furthermore, their lifespans are actually shortened by power cycling them. So for those with these units, find a good UPS/surge protector to plug into and forget about it. Also, normal operating temp. is between 41-49 deg. C. Now if they would just eliminate those damn proprietary connectors and stick some balanced XLR plugs in the back, life would be much easier. Just ask Matt how he liked wiring all those speakers into his Core.
BrolicBeast likes this.

post #4 of 87 Old 09-18-2017, 11:07 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jish9 View Post
Thanks for creating this link Matt. Hopefully it won't be the two of us who only reads and post here.

While I'm still putting together my design and UCI to post here (at least make it publicly presentable), a little bit of info for those interested about the Cores. After speaking with QSC the other day regarding a lack of a power switch, I was advised that they are actually designed to run in a 24/7 environment much like an ethernet switch. Furthermore, their lifespans are actually shortened by power cycling them. So for those with these units, find a good UPS/surge protector to plug into and forget about it. Also, normal operating temp. is between 41-49 deg. C. Now if they would just eliminate those damn proprietary connectors and stick some balanced XLR plugs in the back, life would be much easier. Just ask Matt how he liked wiring all those speakers into his Core.

Yeah, I was initially concerned at first about the always-on state. I never thought to call QSC to ask why. I appreciate that insight.

I started panicking at the very thought of attaching speaker wire to the Phoenix connectors. If I could do it again, I'd just buy some pre-made Phoenix cables. I used adapters for the 12 cables from the pre-pro to the input cards on the Core....but to get the signal to the Core+I/O Extender to the Amplifiers (mine also take Phoenix connectors)....oh gosh...19 cables at two terminations each....that's a total of 38 wire terminations.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro
post #5 of 87 Old 09-18-2017, 01:16 PM

A little tip on the terminations that someone showed me was to use a hot glue gun once everything is tightened down to put over where the wires actually enter into the phoenix terminals. Apparently over time the strain on the wire eventually pulls out one or more of the terminations causing a short. In your case with a sea of wires, maybe something to do in small portions as time allows.
post #6 of 87 Old 09-18-2017, 02:34 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
A little tip on the terminations that someone showed me was to use a hot glue gun once everything is tightened down to put over where the wires actually enter into the phoenix terminals. Apparently over time the strain on the wire eventually pulls out one or more of the terminations causing a short. In your case with a sea of wires, maybe something to do in small portions as time allows.
Thanks for the tip....in the near future, I'll be installing a second rack (some planned equipment additions that there's no more space for 8n current rack). I'll take that opportunity to hit them all in one fell swoop with the hot glue.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk
post #7 of 87 Old 09-18-2017, 02:40 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 105 Post(s)
Liked: 36
What is this - immersive systems for roadies?
post #8 of 87 Old 09-18-2017, 03:01 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MGBPUFF View Post
What is this - immersive systems for roadies?
Nope....bons fide immersion. Used in some VERY popular cinemas, including the one below.

post #9 of 87 Old 09-18-2017, 03:41 PM

Pardon my impertinence, that system looks intimidating. But of course its for commercial cinema. I imagine its tough training people to take care of it and set it up correctly. For the home, this looks way too involved for the average HT owner and even most cinema, especially small town ones. Actually my HT 7.2.4 system sounds better than the ones in our local theaters here in Athens, Ga.
post #10 of 87 Old 09-18-2017, 03:50 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 62 Post(s)
Quoted: 1186 Post(s)
Liked: 1002
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrolicBeast View Post
A fellow AVS member then introduced me to the QSC Q-Sys line of DSPs...
Who is this "fellow" for whom you speak??

Glad to see you set up a thread. I'll add my comments at a later date...right now I just landed in ChiTown and there's some Fogo de Chao calling my name!
post #11 of 87 Old 09-18-2017, 03:57 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Pardon my impertinence, that system looks intimidating. But of course its for commercial cinema. I imagine its tough training people to take care of it and set it up correctly. For the home, this looks way too involved for the average HT owner and even most cinema, especially small town ones. Actually my HT 7.2.4 system sounds better than the ones in our local theaters here in Athens, Ga.
I learned it in a matter of days....its very straightforward. It's no more complex than the equalization in the Datasat RS20i, but with more flexibility. My system killed any commercial system I had heard with just my Anthem AVM60...once I put the QSC DSP into the rack, the level of immersion with the additional Atmos and bed channels, properly tuned, leaped quite a bit. Anyone who can use a MiniDSP unit can use this.
Quote:
Originally Posted by TMcG View Post
Who is this "fellow" for whom you speak??

Glad to see you set up a thread. I'll add my comments at a later date...right now I just landed in ChiTown and there's some Fogo de Chao calling my name!
Lolol, the man with the plan! Your core integration is going to be nuts! Hey, while in Chi-Town, if you can, go to "Karen's on Green"....a vegan restaurant with great ambiance and very creative dishes.

MGBPUFF likes this.
post #12 of 87 Old 09-18-2017, 04:15 PM

What piece of equipment decodes and renders all those Dolby channels? Also, it looks like you are only equalizing the main LCR and the subs. Most systems equalize all speakers.

Last edited by MGBPUFF; 09-18-2017 at 04:21 PM. Reason: additional thought
post #13 of 87 Old 09-18-2017, 04:35 PM
AVS Forum Club Gold

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 883 Post(s)
Liked: 600
Quote:
Hey, while in Chi-Town, if you can, go to "Karen's on Green"....a vegan restaurant with great ambiance and very creative dishes.
Sadly Karyn's on Green closed in 2015. We live near where it was and it's missed. But the original Karyn's Raw also just closed a short while ago...
https://www.google.com/amp/amp.chica...fe440001811c31

Audio Gear: Trinnov Altitude 32 (24 channel), NAD M27 amps (3)
Video: JVC RS600, Seymour 100" UF Screen, Lumagen Radiance Pro 4444 (coming soon)
Misc.: Oppo 103, Oppo 203 UHD player, JRiver
Speakers: PSB Imagine T3 LCR, Imagine T Wides and Side Surround 1, T2 Side Surrounds, Imagine XB rears, PSB CS1000 ceilings (6), HSU ULS-15 Mk 2 subs (4) - 11.4.6
post #14 of 87 Old 09-18-2017, 04:49 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
What piece of equipment decodes and renders all those Dolby channels? Also, it looks like you are only equalizing the main LCR and the subs. Most systems equalize all speakers.
The Anthem AVM60 does the Atmos decoding. Naw, all speakers are equalized....posted LCRs and subs as an example. Check out the video in the first post..i go over channel distribution.
Quote:
Originally Posted by sdrucker View Post
Sadly Karyn's on Green closed in 2015. We live near where it was and it's missed. But the original Karyn's Raw also just closed a short while ago...
https://www.google.com/amp/amp.chica...fe440001811c31
Oh no... that's sad. What's great is also the vegan place across from the fancy post office. Red signage...cant remember what it's called though.

Edit: NATIVE FOODS is the spot!

Last edited by BrolicBeast; 09-18-2017 at 04:56 PM.
post #15 of 87 Old 09-18-2017, 05:35 PM

So, The Anthem does equalization also, and you are doing some additional speaker crossover equalization with the LCR and a lot of separate sub equalization. Are the separate parametric equalizers MiniDSPs? Your matrixing and delay add ons for the Atmos middles are a little unusual, but as you said it's what pleases you that counts. Congratulations on a very personally oriented and detailed installation. Myself, I do not have that much energy so I will wait for a product to appear with 9.2.6 capability.

Last edited by MGBPUFF; 09-18-2017 at 05:49 PM.
post #16 of 87 Old 09-18-2017, 05:44 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
After speaking with QSC the other day regarding a lack of a power switch, I was advised that they are actually designed to run in a 24/7 environment much like an ethernet switch.
Huh? These all have power switches on the rear. There is no standby power if that's what you are referring to.

Quote:
Now if they would just eliminate those damn proprietary connectors and stick some balanced XLR plugs in the back, life would be much easier. Just ask Matt how he liked wiring all those speakers into his Core.
Those phoenix connectors are ubiquitous - Extron, Crestron, AMX, Key Digital, Niles, Sonance, Control4 and many, many others use these things for signal transfer of all types. It's all about install speed in these larger commercial jobs where tying the ends of bulk cable to these Phoenix connectors vs. hand terminating each Speakon, oftentimes with a soldered connection.

Even in Matt's room he would be soldering Speakon to go into an amplifier with such connections vs. stripping a few wires and jamming them into a Phoenix screw-down terminal.
post #17 of 87 Old 09-18-2017, 05:53 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Hey, while in Chi-Town, if you can, go to "Karen's on Green"....a vegan restaurant with great ambiance and very creative dishes.
I don't think Fogo de Chao could be any more diametrically opposed to a vegan restaurant. I'm not sure if you've ever been to a Brazilian steakhouse before, but you get a two-sided card - the green side indicates you want them to bring you meat, the red side indicates you're good. All the staff circulate around the room, each with a different skewer of meat. When you flip to green, they pounce. All 18 courses were meat. I think I ate my way through at least 10 different phylums within the animal kingdom. Back on the wagon tomorrow with salads and reasonably-sized portions.
mike929 likes this.
post #18 of 87 Old 09-18-2017, 05:54 PM

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 287 Post(s)
Liked: 208
Quote:
So you guys don't get lonely, here is a couple of pics of my setup.

In my stack I have

QSC QSYS Core 110f

QSC Q-SYS CXD4.2Q * 2 - Network amps
QSC Q-SYS CXD4.5Q - Network amp
QSC PLD4.2 * 3
QSC PLD4.5

I'm in the process of swapping out the PLD amps for CXD_Q Network ready amps but I'm holding off until they publish the prices for the 8 Channel Q's before I upgrade the other PLD4.2's. I have the PLD amps running off the I/O ports on the Core then Q amps are plugged directly into a QSC recommended D-Link Gigabit switch.
Currently running 9.4.4 with a Denon 7200 AVR and 2 DDRC 88A's for Dirac room correction, but I do have a pre-order in for a Trinnov Altitude 16 so my setup will probably be changing soon.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_5656.JPG (83.6 KB, 368 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_5657.JPG (190.2 KB, 364 views)
BrolicBeast and TMcG like this.

Denon AVR-X7200WA (preamp mode) + DUAL DDRC-88A's, LCR JBL M2, Q-SYS Core 110f, Class D Amps, QSC CXD4.2Q, CXD4.5Q
Onkyo DAC-1000s, Onkyo DP-X1 DAP, Darbee DVP5000, Xbox One, 8TB Tivo Roamio Pro
JVC RS600 + ISCO IIIL, 158" 2.40:1 DIY AT screen, Calman 5 Enthusiast, i1 Pro 2, i1 Display Pro, Spyder 5, eeColor 3D LUT Box
Oppo UDP-203, Oppo BDP-105, Mac Mni 2012 + JRiver MC 20, QNAP TVS-871 NAS

Last edited by kingwiggi; 10-17-2017 at 08:54 AM.
post #19 of 87 Old 09-18-2017, 06:31 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kingwiggi View Post
QSC QSYS Core 110f

QSC QSYS CXD4.2Q * 2 - Network ready amps
QSC PLD4.2 * 3
QSC PLD4.5

I'm in the process of swapping out the PLD amps for CXD_Q amps...

Currently running a Denon 7200 AVR with 2 DDRC 88A's for Dirac room correction, but I do have a pre-order in for a Trinnov Altitude 16 so my setup will probably be changing soon.
First of all...nice set up and I'm very jealous of your Trinnov Altitude 16 preorder!! What speakers are you running in your system? Pics?

But I'm confused with all the DSP you have going on. The PLDs are processing amplifiers, complete with optimal EQ slopes for QSC speakers but no QSYS so I understand your desire to flip them out to the CXD series amps which have all the DSP power you'd ever want and have seamless QSYS integration. Does the Core 110f process the signals used for the PLD amplifiers...is that the reason for the Core 110f in the system??

If your system stopped there, I would understand. But I can't seem to rationalize how or why you also have two MiniDSP 8x8 Dirac processors and how these separate pieces of equipment feed into your signal path, assuming the QSC equipment takes precedent.

And what's the plan when you get the Trinnov? You could get rid of the MiniDSP 8x8s, and 'downgrade' to standard QSC DCA series amplifiers without all the fancy DSP processing which would then go unused. 100% of everything could be achieved in the latest Trinnov firmware released just a few months ago.
post #20 of 87 Old 09-18-2017, 07:24 PM

Quote:
First of all...nice set up and I'm very jealous of your Trinnov Altitude 16 preorder!! What speakers are you running in your system? Pics?

But I'm confused with all the DSP you have going on. The PLDs are processing amplifiers, complete with optimal EQ slopes for QSC speakers but no QSYS so I understand your desire to flip them out to the CXD series amps which have all the DSP power you'd ever want and have seamless QSYS integration. Does the Core 110f process the signals used for the PLD amplifiers...is that the reason for the Core 110f in the system??
My system is definitely in a state of flux at the moment; but basically

The core is doing all of the DSP and was added fairly recently along with the CXD_Q amps. I've had the PLD amps for a while but yes they are currently just hanging off the core as network amps without using their own internal DSP. The exception to this is the PLD4.5 which is a 5000 watt amp that powers my 4 subs.

Quote:
If your system stopped there, I would understand. But I can't seem to rationalize how or why you also have two MiniDSP 8x8 Dirac processors and how these separate pieces of equipment feed into your signal path, assuming the QSC equipment takes precedent.
The DDRC 88A's again I've had these for a while but they will be going when the Trinnov arrives. The Q-SYS system is not really intended to perform room correction so there isn't really any redundancy there. (OK, somebody is going to say otherwise but I already had the 88A's and they will be going soon anyway)

The signal path looks something like - Denon 7200 - > DDRC 88a -> Q-SYS Core-> QSC Amps

So I'm currently using the Q-SYS DSP to tweak the post Dirac signal and it works amazingly well and also matrixing SBL & SBR to achieve 9.4.4

Quote:
And what's the plan when you get the Trinnov? You could get rid of the MiniDSP 8x8s, and 'downgrade' to standard QSC DCA series amplifiers without all the fancy DSP processing which would then go unused. 100% of everything could be achieved in the latest Trinnov firmware released just a few months ago.

I didn't want to mess with I/O frames and expansion cards which would be required to use DCA amps with Q-SYS. The Q amps are great because they also act as 4 port mini I/O on-ramps for analog signals so they make needing additional I/O frames redundant, probably didn't save any money doing it this way but it is neater and I will be able to go fully digital end to end Audio over I/P (AES67) when the Trinnov supports it. The other benefit of sticking with the Q-SYS platform is to do channel expansion (matrixing) for the Altitude 16, cheaper than buying an Altitude 32 . Also hoping that I will be able to use the Core to do DSP duty as an active crossover for some M2's since the core also supports FIR filters.

I keep telling myself that if this all works out Q-SYS will actually save me money.

Denon AVR-X7200WA (preamp mode) + DUAL DDRC-88A's, LCR JBL M2, Q-SYS Core 110f, Class D Amps, QSC CXD4.2Q, CXD4.5Q
JVC RS600 + ISCO IIIL, 158" 2.40:1 DIY AT screen, Calman 5 Enthusiast, i1 Pro 2, i1 Display Pro, Spyder 5, eeColor 3D LUT Box

Last edited by kingwiggi; 09-18-2017 at 10:28 PM.
post #21 of 87 Old 09-19-2017, 06:00 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 352 Post(s)
Liked: 265
Hey all, thanks for making such an awesome thread! I'ts looking like the current house is going on the market, and we're moving! As any good member of AVS is wont to do, I'm using this as an excuse to take my next dedicated HT to the absolute next level!

For any that haven't seen it, my current room is 7.4.4. Here's the current speaker layout and rack diagram:

We're really fortunate to have something so cool for our first project, and have had a ton of fun both viewing and along the journey to building the room!

However, the next room is going to have to take it to the next level. We're talking more surround, more bass, more Atmos, just MOAR! As a result, I'm stretching my skills with respect to the gear to power and control it all. I think I'm personally better equipped to handle the actual theater build than the "separates" side of things, so this is more a cry for help than anything else.

The goal of the new theater is 15.8.12, which means there's no way I'm getting by without some serious upgrades to signal processing and amplification. I've been to talking to folks about the QSYS, visiting theaters (thanks Beast!!) and playing around on the QSYS site. I'm hoping this thread is a good way to start the design process, and welcome any/all input!

A couple of things:
  • The goal is to make all speakers myself. As such F-15 and F8 are DIYSoundgroup Fusion models, the subs are MartySubs or a variant, the Atmos is TBD
  • The goal is 8 surrounds, the QSYS graphic needs to be corrected
  • My guesses on QSYS equip / gear, etc are just that
  • My QSYS mapping diagram is a blatant ripoff of Beasts, so thanks!! (And it's only in ppt for now)

The gear:

The QSYS:

Thoughts??
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Slide10.GIF
Views:	366
Size:	73.4 KB
ID:	2284884   Click image for larger version

Name:	Slide11.GIF
Views:	364
Size:	65.1 KB
ID:	2284886   Click image for larger version

Name:	Slide9.GIF
Views:	428
Size:	253.7 KB
ID:	2284888  
BrolicBeast likes this.
post #22 of 87 Old 09-19-2017, 06:30 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

You're over DSP-ing in your design. You only need one QSC Core product for an entire system, so the 110f is redundant when you have a 510c. Second, you do not need the same DSP technology in each amplifier because it will go unused. Yes, you have some I/O capability with their DSP amps, but you are overspending on the amplifier to get that functionality. Spend money on the DSP....but don't spend money on DSP in the amps. This will also give you greater flexibility in amp selection down the road.

For the scale of your planned system, I would start by sourcing a 16 channel preamp/processor. Rumor has it Marantz will be releasing the 8805 next year which will suit your needs. If they release a 7705, I'd go with that instead at half the cost for the same processing channel count if Marantz follows their current product differentiations.

From here it all boils down to channel count, regardless of how many output channels you have. Assuming a 16 channel processor, that's obviously 16 channels of input and you're planning 35 channels of output which brings your total channel count to 52. The 510 handles 32 channels of I/O and then you'd pick up another three QSC I/O-8 Flex which is a brand new product with 8 I/O, giving you four extra slots for more speakers (Lord help you!!).

I'm a big fan of MOAR...but I think you are over-speakered and over-subbed. Blasphemy, you say....I know. I think a well-calibrated 16 channels (9.1.6) with 4-6 subs will do more for you than jacking up the channel count and using DSP to add delay to a bunch of duplicated signals.
Roger Dressler likes this.
post #23 of 87 Old 09-19-2017, 06:40 AM

Quote:
Huh? These all have power switches on the rear. There is no standby power if that's what you are referring to.

Those phoenix connectors are ubiquitous - Extron, Crestron, AMX, Key Digital, Niles, Sonance, Control4 and many, many others use these things for signal transfer of all types. It's all about install speed in these larger commercial jobs where tying the ends of bulk cable to these Phoenix connectors vs. hand terminating each Speakon, oftentimes with a soldered connection.

Even in Matt's room he would be soldering Speakon to go into an amplifier with such connections vs. stripping a few wires and jamming them into a Phoenix screw-down terminal.
It actually turns out the 110F has no such switch. In looking at the other models, they do have power switches.

I know what you're talking about. The Speakon and phoenix connectors are an industry standard. Coming from the consumer home market, it's just a bit of a pain depending on the number of wires. The 110F also has its' own mini-phoenix connectors meaning that even if you bought pre-made cable with standard phoenix termination (like I did) you still have to take out wires and connect them to the QSC ones.
post #24 of 87 Old 09-19-2017, 07:55 AM

Quote:
Second, you do not need the same DSP technology in each amplifier because it will go unused.

Forgive my ignorance, I'm just learning this stuff as I go along.

My understanding was that the CXD_Q & DPA_Q amps do not have useful DSP's built in. I know that they can be used semi-autonomously if they loose connection to the core but they are designed to use a cores in-built DSP functionality.

The CXD & DPA variants on the other hand would be duplicating in-built core-DSP

Last edited by kingwiggi; 09-19-2017 at 09:33 AM.
post #25 of 87 Old 09-19-2017, 09:02 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Forgive my ignorance, I'm just learning this stuff as I go along.

My understanding was that the CXD_Q & DPA_Q amps do not have useful DSP's built in. I know that can be used semi-autonomously if they loose connection to the core but they are designed to use a cores in-built DSP functionality.

The CXD & DPA variants on the other hand would be duplicating in-built core-DSP
My mistake entirely. I saw "CXD" and was oblivious to the "_Q". You are correct, the CXD_Q series does not contain the DSP but gives you the added QSYS functionality for digital transfer over your network, effectively eliminating a couple more D/A A/D conversions...even if it is a balanced signal transfer to another amplifier. Plus the LCD screen and overall look of those amplifiers gives the appearance of a much more premium amplifier vs. a standard DCA amp.
post #26 of 87 Old 09-19-2017, 09:48 AM

[QUOTE=DougUSMC;54822858]

The QSYS:

/QUOTE]

That's taking matrixing to an entirely new level. What size room/auditorium are you planning for.

post #27 of 87 Old 09-19-2017, 10:09 AM

Quote:

Matt your not really using the strain relief effectively by wiring them up like that.

I'm sure mine are far from perfect, however this is how they should look

Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_5664.JPG (146.0 KB, 292 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_5662.JPG (120.8 KB, 345 views)

Last edited by kingwiggi; 09-19-2017 at 02:59 PM.
post #28 of 87 Old 09-19-2017, 02:46 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 352 Post(s)
Liked: 265
Quote:
You're over DSP-ing in your design. You only need one QSC Core product for an entire system, so the 110f is redundant when you have a 510c. Second, you do not need the same DSP technology in each amplifier because it will go unused. Yes, you have some I/O capability with their DSP amps, but you are overspending on the amplifier to get that functionality. Spend money on the DSP....but don't spend money on DSP in the amps. This will also give you greater flexibility in amp selection down the road.
Ok, I dig it, that's just me not being familiar enough with their product line.

For the scale of your planned system, I would start by sourcing a 16 channel preamp/processor. Rumor has it Marantz will be releasing the 8805 next year which will suit your needs. If they release a 7705, I'd go with that instead at half the cost for the same processing channel count if Marantz follows their current product differentiations.

From here it all boils down to channel count, regardless of how many output channels you have. Assuming a 16 channel processor, that's obviously 16 channels of input and you're planning 35 channels of output which brings your total channel count to 52. The 510 handles 32 channels of I/O and then you'd pick up another three QSC I/O-8 Flex which is a brand new product with 8 I/O, giving you four extra slots for more speakers (Lord help you!!).
Awesome feedback, thanks!

I was trying to get multiple channels per amp, and have them be able to be controlled by the DSP for gain programming. I dig the idea of another 5 channels of input, but on the funding line items, replacing the pre/pro is near the bottom. I'd rather put the money in the QSCs and new amps to start, and hit the output specs first.
II agree that the 110f is redundant, but I didn't realize that the I/O-8 existed. All I was trying to do was extend the 32 channels available on the 510.

Quote:
I'm a big fan of MOAR...but I think you are over-speakered and over-subbed. Blasphemy, you say....I know. I think a well-calibrated 16 channels (9.1.6) with 4-6 subs will do more for you than jacking up the channel count and using DSP to add delay to a bunch of duplicated signals.
You go away for a while, leave us behind, and when you come back it's like you're a different person. I don't even know who you are any more!!

I don't "need" more channels, I'm just hoping to try to get the most potential. Do you really think that it's possible to do the same with 9 as it would be with 15? I like the ideas of wides for greater stage broadening, and the idea of a dedicated pair of surrounds for each of the two viewing rows. My goal isn't really to try to have the highest speaker count on the forum, it's to try to (as much as possible) have two rows that almost act like Twin MPLs. I dig the idea of the .1 and just using the MSO for the subs, but why 6 Atmos vs. 8? I figure a pair of Atmos per row, one facing forward one back, would give the best response?
The alternative is that everything I'm hoping for is possible with the 9.1.6, and I just don't have the knowledge and/or experience to envision it?

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by DougUSMC View Post
That's taking matrixing to an entirely new level. What size room/auditorium are you planning for.
We're house hunting right now, so the room hasn't been picked yet. My goal is 25x30, with ~ 14-16' screen, two seating rows, maybe a back bar, and lots of space. There's a certain HT here on the forum that I'd love to emulate, but I don't want to mention it as I haven't asked its owner for permission yet.
post #29 of 87 Old 09-19-2017, 03:25 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Matt your not really using the strain relief effectively by wiring them up like that.

I'm sure mine are far from perfect, however this is how they should look

Yeah man...I was halfway through before I realized i should thread the cables through the holes. Hit me with some pics...would love to see how you did yours.
Quote:
Originally Posted by DougUSMC View Post
Awesome feedback, thanks!

I was trying to get multiple channels per amp, and have them be able to be controlled by the DSP for gain programming. I dig the idea of another 5 channels of input, but on the funding line items, replacing the pre/pro is near the bottom. I'd rather put the money in the QSCs and new amps to start, and hit the output specs first.
II agree that the 110f is redundant, but I didn't realize that the I/O-8 existed. All I was trying to do was extend the 32 channels available on the 510.

You go away for a while, leave us behind, and when you come back it's like you're a different person. I don't even know who you are any more!!

I don't "need" more channels, I'm just hoping to try to get the most potential. Do you really think that it's possible to do the same with 9 as it would be with 15? I like the ideas of wides for greater stage broadening, and the idea of a dedicated pair of surrounds for each of the two viewing rows. My goal isn't really to try to have the highest speaker count on the forum, it's to try to (as much as possible) have two rows that almost act like Twin MPLs. I dig the idea of the .1 and just using the MSO for the subs, but why 6 Atmos vs. 8? I figure a pair of Atmos per row, one facing forward one back, would give the best response?
The alternative is that everything I'm hoping for is possible with the 9.1.6, and I just don't have the knowledge and/or experience to envision it?

We're house hunting right now, so the room hasn't been picked yet. My goal is 25x30, with ~ 14-16' screen, two seating rows, maybe a back bar, and lots of space. There's a certain HT here on the forum that I'd love to emulate, but I don't want to mention it as I haven't asked its owner for permission yet.
I will say, that I have a preset set to disable all *extra* channels, and the experience is really quite good. By not being able to localize the sound source (big mental benefit to hiding speakers), surround is nearly (as in 10000/th of a millimeter) as good in the rear row, with only the front row surrounds active. Next time you're over this way, ill give you a listen...the blind a/b tests would really surprise you--particularly during the Dolby Amaze trailer.

But if you've got the budget....I'm the wrong person to offer advice...I'm all about if you build it, they will come (hence my speaker/sub count selected in 2014 before ever hearing about QSC).

If you build it, they will come.....except seats....

Seats don't come unless purchased.

post #30 of 87 Old 09-19-2017, 03:58 PM

Quote:
Yeah man...I was halfway through before I realized i should thread the cables through the holes. Hit me with some pics...would love to see how you did yours.

Those are photos of my wiring.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page