To all Witches and Wizards... AV receiver question please about 4K etc etc - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 1Likes
  • 1 Post By Mr.SoftDome

post #1 of 7 Old 09-18-2017, 08:38 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 10
To all Witches and Wizards... AV receiver question please about 4K etc etc

Hey Folks,

Ok so I will try to keep this short... I am looking for some guidance.

History (in point form)
Integra 50.4, had an HDMI issue so while getting fixed I went Anthem MRX510... all with the intention of future proofing. About a year ago I got a great deal on an LG OLED 4K (OLED65B6P), I reconnected the Integra because the Anthem did not have any 4K support... all of which is mute as I have no 4K inputs... yet. When I purchased the 510 I did so with an AMP (PVA 5) so I now run my stuff out the pre into it and I only run at this time a 5.1setup with Pardigm speakers (I think Monitor series) all the way around.

Apple TV 4K is on the way as is the XBOX Scorpio... so I am trying to figure out how I can best serve my home theater system.

We run everything through the AV and one HDMI out to the TV, the TV supports only 2 so I cant just bypass with the new 4K boxes.
Satellite goes into the XBOX, XBOX into the AV... then TV. I have an OPPO BR player but not UHD so will likely save the money and not upgrade that and just use the xbox for that when it arrives.

So the heart of my system needs an upgrade. I loved the sound of the ANTHEM but found it highly lacking in options compared to the Integra. I dont like to tinker too much and often my system is used by my family through the universal remote so it needs to have some customizations that I can make and keep... (i.e.: use this audio mode when watching Apple TV and direct when this... etc etc). As well as I like to have the ability to have different modes using different compressions if that is right. For example I now set the TV watching to use a night time mode for the audio to reduce the dynamic range when we are watching it often at night when half the family is asleep. Although I said I love the sound of the ANTHEM as I stated I did unplug it and put my Integra back in when the 4K TV showed up and have not returned... I also love its sound and since we watch movies, sports and play video games much more than music on this system I would like to maintain the THX level of quality. I assume that any system that I pick now will fully support 4K, HDR etc etc.

Anyway... I do have a turntable but it does not get anywhere near enough play to be a real concern with regards to how to setup my system.

Thoughts and recommendations please.

Last edited by rchwallace; 09-18-2017 at 08:39 PM. Reason: Forgot to subscribe
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old 09-18-2017, 09:28 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 498 Post(s)
Liked: 399
It looks like budget might be around $1500 give or take?

It's more mainstream than perhaps Anthem but I am using Yamaha Aventage 1060 in my bedroom and I love it. I had the perception that Yamaha was bright from a unit from 10 or 12 years ago. That is now not the case.

It's not my living room set-up but I strongly like Yamaha Aventage 1060 and up.

I had a Denon prior but I like the Yamaha much more. It's been a trouble free very good sounding workhorse.

It passes video beautifully to my OLED and sound is very enjoyable and bug free. The room correction is probably more run of the mill but I am not so obsessed like some here. Room correction is a tool and more goes into a device than room correction to make a good pick. It has many of the options you talk about.

It's a starting point anyway.

https://www.whathifi.com/yamaha/rx-a1060/review

Rick
Madmax67 likes this.

Last edited by Mr.SoftDome; 09-18-2017 at 09:33 PM.
post #3 of 7 Old 09-18-2017, 09:37 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 155 Post(s)
Liked: 131
Quote:
Originally Posted by rchwallace View Post
Hey Folks,

Ok so I will try to keep this short... I am looking for some guidance.

History (in point form)
Integra 50.4, had an HDMI issue so while getting fixed I went Anthem MRX510... all with the intention of future proofing. About a year ago I got a great deal on an LG OLED 4K (OLED65B6P), I reconnected the Integra because the Anthem did not have any 4K support... all of which is mute as I have no 4K inputs... yet. When I purchased the 510 I did so with an AMP (PVA 5) so I now run my stuff out the pre into it and I only run at this time a 5.1setup with Pardigm speakers (I think Monitor series) all the way around.

Apple TV 4K is on the way as is the XBOX Scorpio... so I am trying to figure out how I can best serve my home theater system.

We run everything through the AV and one HDMI out to the TV, the TV supports only 2 so I cant just bypass with the new 4K boxes.
Satellite goes into the XBOX, XBOX into the AV... then TV. I have an OPPO BR player but not UHD so will likely save the money and not upgrade that and just use the xbox for that when it arrives.

So the heart of my system needs an upgrade. I loved the sound of the ANTHEM but found it highly lacking in options compared to the Integra. I dont like to tinker too much and often my system is used by my family through the universal remote so it needs to have some customizations that I can make and keep... (i.e.: use this audio mode when watching Apple TV and direct when this... etc etc). As well as I like to have the ability to have different modes using different compressions if that is right. For example I now set the TV watching to use a night time mode for the audio to reduce the dynamic range when we are watching it often at night when half the family is asleep. Although I said I love the sound of the ANTHEM as I stated I did unplug it and put my Integra back in when the 4K TV showed up and have not returned... I also love its sound and since we watch movies, sports and play video games much more than music on this system I would like to maintain the THX level of quality. I assume that any system that I pick now will fully support 4K, HDR etc etc.

Anyway... I do have a turntable but it does not get anywhere near enough play to be a real concern with regards to how to setup my system.

Thoughts and recommendations please.
No direct experience with 4K or switches, but could you not use an HDMI switcher for sources that are not used often?

Something like this?

https://www.amazon.com/Switch-Walkas.../dp/B01G37GSX6

95% Synthetic bass since Y2K.

post #4 of 7 Old 09-18-2017, 11:50 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hey guys

Thanks for the posts. Interesting that the first unit mentioned was a Yamaha as I have just been looking at them... I will have to do more digging but they seem to be getting some pretty good reviews and praise. Going all the way back I used to have a Denon before the Integra... the interesting thing is that the integra has some amazing movie sounds and from what I understand you get considerable bang for you buck. It is also an installer kind of unit as they can install it full home with multi zone capability etc etc and lock it all out but that is not me.

So the Yamaha.... I run a 5.1 speaker setup, anyone have any experience with their virtual speakers and how it sounds... is it just a gimmick? My room is horrible so for me I do need some level of room correction but the Yamy's that I was looking at seem to have a pretty "full" calibration. Now is it any good? I dont know. I was reading about the 3070 although the site does not list a price so I will likely have to move from there.

Budget should of been mentioned I guess. Really depending on the future proofing and the quality of the unit I will be looking between 1500-2500 roughly.

I did look a bit at the switches idea but am not sure how that will work for my less tech family as this setup needs to be pretty fool proof when I am away at work. But I will look more into it for sure.

Rgds
post #5 of 7 Old 09-19-2017, 06:22 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 174 Post(s)
Liked: 80
^You mention that your room is horrible... Have you considered room treatment as a first step? Room correction software in AVRs / processors can help but getting the room under control first lets your gear be more effective.

I did a bunch of home theater upgrades earlier this year and for the first time added some high quality acoustic treatment. It changed everything... for the better. FWIW, GIK Acoustics out of Atlanta analyzed my room (no charge!) and made recommendations (pretty reasonably priced though YMMV). Very helpful people there and the results have exceeded my expectations.
post #6 of 7 Old 09-19-2017, 06:28 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 574 Post(s)
Liked: 253
Re. FUTURE PROOFING:

HDMI I/F Spec has been changing about every other year, with minor tweaks in-between....which makes it VERY EXPENSIVE to keep buying new DTV's and AVR's year after year after year:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/HDMI

Many HDTV's and AVR's currently in stores don't even implement HDMI v.2.0b, released Mar 2016....and the mfr's are making it much more difficult to determine WHICH version is in which equipment. FYI: Manuals for both of your AVR's did NOT say, nor was I able to deduce HDMI version from list of features...esp, whether 4K was 30 fps Max.....or 60 fps Max:
https://www.hdmi.org/manufacturer/hdmi_2_0/index.aspx

And although HDMI v.2.1 came out this January, I don't think we will see any UDTV's and AVR's until at least XMAS....and maybe later. This is an IMPORTANT upgrade: 4K/8K/10K at up to 120 fps Refresh.....which is what Sports Networks have been looking for before they change away from current 720p at 60 fps. It also introduces DYNAMIC HDR (High Dynamic Range) Video, which re-normalizes throughout the program, rather than the one STATIC normalization for the Entire Program in the current HDR implementations. However, since Dynamic HDR has yet to hit the streets, there are NO REVIEWS to KNOW how big a deal it really is. Also adds Enhanced Audio Return Channel (eARC) with additional [missing] Hi-Rez Audio Formats that were already on HDMI I/F....and some Virtual Reality (VR) Enhancements for Gamers:
https://www.hdmi.org/manufacturer/hdmi_2_1

So.....you might want to wait until XMAS....or next year....when the latest HDMI v.2.1 Equipments should hit the stores.....

==========================================
Since you already own an OPPO BD-Player, you may find my fol. post of interest. For AUDIO, I have thus far AVOIDED the HDMI built-in Obsolescence problem....indeed my high-end Pioneer AVR (with low Transient Intermod Distortion Power MOSFETS) is so old it doesn't even HAVE HDMI interfaces....yet I can play ANY and ALL of the Hi-Rez Audio Formats supported by my Oppo BDP-93 Player....without any DownRezzing. And ALL Video goes directly to UDTV which has 4 HDMI, 1 C-V [plus 2:1 Switch] and 1 Video INPUT. This also makes it EASY for my wife to use JUST the Cable System R/C [VIDEO button Selects UDTV Input]...she doesn't even have to KNOW how to operate the AVR:
Oppo vs Sony for SACD, DVD-Audio, etc.?

Neither of your current AVR's has the DD5.1/7.1 Analog Audio Inputs [six or eight RCA Input Jacks for LF/RF/C/LS/RS/SW+LB/RB]...a trend that prevents using this trick. If interested look for DD5.1/7.1 Analog Audio Inputs on candidate AVR's....or investigate using an AVR that has PRE-IN/PRE-OUT Jumpers on the Rear....or a separate Preamp.

Last edited by holl_ands; 09-19-2017 at 07:02 PM.
post #7 of 7 Old 09-19-2017, 07:15 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 574 Post(s)
Liked: 253
Quote:
Originally Posted by michael hurd View Post
No direct experience with 4K or switches, but could you not use an HDMI switcher for sources that are not used often?

Something like this?

https://www.amazon.com/Switch-Walkas.../dp/B01G37GSX6
AGAIN, mfr's hide the IMPORTANT Information....that HDMI Switch only supports 4K @ 30fps, which is also true for [most/all???] OTHER HDMI Switches at the bottom of that webpage.

Fol. HDMI Switch supports 4K @ 60fps via HDMI v2.0 [Q: But NOT 2.0a, which adds higher data rate HDR....or v.2.0b which adds additional HDR tweaks???]....so be sure to investigate VERY Carefully and don't hesitate to CALL the mfr:
https://www.amazon.com/SDS-Switch-Wi.../dp/B01FXALWYY

Last edited by holl_ands; 09-19-2017 at 07:25 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page