Recommend a processor to replace an aging Anthem d2v? - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 4Likes
  • 2 Post By Mr.SoftDome
  • 2 Post By Bill-99

post #1 of 14 Old 09-19-2017, 09:05 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Recommend a processor to replace an aging Anthem d2v?

I've been out of the market for an AV processor for years, but my Anthem d2v may be on its way to retirement, so I thought I'd start looking to see what's looking good in the market now.

To jumpstart my research, I'm looking for suggestions for a functional equivalent to the Anthem (with hopefully not the sky-high price tag of the d2v)—though I don't mind paying for superior quality and premium brands, and am looking for something better than you can find at Best Buy.

I also want to continue using my Anthem Statement A5 amplifier, so looking for a separate processor rather than a self-amplified AV receiver.

I currently have a 7.2 speaker setup, with 7 Paradigm in-ceiling speakers, two Velodyne DD-15 subs, and a Buttkicker LFE (#nojudgments).

At minimum, the processor should feature:

• 8 HDMI inputs or more
• I do need a couple of S-Video inputs for the on-screen displays of two Velodyne subs
• At least 2 outputs (3 would be great, but I don't know how common that is)
• Balanced audio channels for connection to my Anthem amp
• Support for the latest audio and video bells and whistles (4k, latest HDMI standard that can handle HDR, etc. Atmos support is nice but not mandatory since I probably can't fit any more speakers in the ceiling ), etc.
• Impeccable HDMI switching. My biggest complaint about the d2v is its flaky HDMI support, I just want something that works consistently.
• Hopefully a somewhat-modern menu system, the Anthem's UI is a clunky nightmare
• I watch movies and TV much more often than listen to music

Appreciate any thoughts on which brands/models to look into.

Cheers,
R

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 Old 09-19-2017, 10:22 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 492 Post(s)
Liked: 398
Quote:
Originally Posted by rsinclair View Post
I've been out of the market for an AV processor for years, but my Anthem d2v may be on its way to retirement, so I thought I'd start looking to see what's looking good in the market now.

To jumpstart my research, I'm looking for suggestions for a functional equivalent to the Anthem (with hopefully not the sky-high price tag of the d2v)—though I don't mind paying for superior quality and premium brands, and am looking for something better than you can find at Best Buy.

I also want to continue using my Anthem Statement A5 amplifier, so looking for a separate processor rather than a self-amplified AV receiver.

I currently have a 7.2 speaker setup, with 7 Paradigm in-ceiling speakers, two Velodyne DD-15 subs, and a Buttkicker LFE (#nojudgments).

• 8 HDMI inputs or more
• I do need a couple of S-Video inputs for the on-screen displays of two Velodyne subs
• Support for the latest audio and video bells and whistles (4k, latest HDMI standard that can handle HDR, etc. Atmos support is nice but not mandatory since I probably can't fit any more speakers in the ceiling ), etc.
• Impeccable HDMI switching. My biggest complaint about the d2v is its flaky HDMI support, I just want something that works consistently.
• Hopefully a somewhat-modern menu system, the Anthem's UI is a clunky nightmare

Cheers,
R
R welcome to my world. You will see posts from me in all the pre-pro threads right now.

I was using a Classe SSP 800 pre pro which was the best sounding piece of electronics I've owned in a HT Stereo set-up.

Last December I went ga ga over OLED and replaced two displays went all in for the 4K goodies for both rooms. I wanted 4K Atmos to replace my Classe but after the spending I just went thru was strapped at around $3K. I ended up getting an Arcam AVR 550 and used my external amps for the front three and the Arcam amps for surround and the two front height speakers I now have.

It's been pretty good not excellent but it is an AVR and UHD movies do sound pretty darn good. I still thing about the Classe all the time and I'm ready to pull out the AVR and try something else.

Classe Sigma II. Does not support HDR. One 2.2 compliant input and no 12v triggers. I'm bummed! Perhaps not at the SSP level but this would be on order next week. Its shortcomings are too much to overcome.

Krell- Does not support HDR. Would be a contender but with HDMI 2.0. (Not 2.0a) it can't support HDR. Off the table.

McIntosh MX122. I have not heard this or the Marantz platform it's based on. Has everything needed just like the Marantz but reports are the sound is almost to the tee like the Marantz although it is supposed to have some of its own revisions. I should probably hunt down a Marantz to audition. It's stereo section may not be at the level of some of the others but a DAC could be added and a server etc.

NAD Masters M17. Now has 4K including HDR. Atmos module not ready yet. Will be a purchase that you will need to add on. I owned the original NAD M15 years ago with HDMI 1.0!! It had a really nice sound. This one is on my list.

Arcam AV860. I really would like to hear the pre pro version over the AVR I have. Balanced outs. No amps. Perhaps it will sound even better. I am curious if not frustrated at the same time.

And then the Bryston SP3. They have just added 4K including HDR. I should say they are getting ready to ship. It will not support Atmos and there is no plan to. This unit is known for superior sonics both HT and Stereo. No frills. No room correction. It's up to you to decide if what might be one of the top tier pre pros for sound is worth giving up the rest of the frills. I must say I only have two height speakers currently and giving them up not a big deal but will I change my mind later? I would rather have top flight 5.2 over a bunch of other speakers not in optimum places due to my room. I will be talking to dealer about price and this may be at the top of list as my SSP-800 rebirth. This Bryston might beat out the SSP in all areas and now with 4K support. Two XLR in as well.

The Anthem. People seem to love it but I don't know enough about it. I wonder if I would have to start adding stereo preamps and dacs to get it to another level for stereo?

I seem to be down to Bryston, NAD and getting the Arcam in for one last spin using the pre pro over AVR with balanced connections and losing the internal amps that might give it a plus in sound.

The state of mid to higher level prepros are in a bit of flux right now. I wonder if ne t year will open things up a bit but I'd like to get situated again. I'm sure your DV2 was/is awesome.

I'm sure one of the above would work out fine. I too hate to look at $9.5k prepros. I sold my 800 for $2900. Quite a tank for four years of use.

Edit: reading your post again where Stereo is not as important than the Marantz might be up your ally. Not that stereo is not good here but for your needs maybe perfect.

Rick

Edit: here is a little blurb with mention of your current D2 vs the Bryston.

http://www.homecinemachoice.com/news...3-review/10708
Bill-99 and rsinclair like this.

Last edited by Mr.SoftDome; 09-20-2017 at 12:22 AM.
post #3 of 14 Old 09-19-2017, 10:37 PM

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 6
Quote:

• 8 HDMI inputs or more

Cheers,
R
Check out https://www.accessories4less.com/ they might have what your looking for.

post #4 of 14 Old 09-20-2017, 06:23 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 648 Post(s)
Liked: 351
the S-video requirement is a kill joy.....that's the only cable the subs can use?

Selling in AVS Classifieds
Salk Songtower RT (RAAL)
URC MX-880 Remotes

post #5 of 14 Old 09-20-2017, 06:27 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 174 Post(s)
Liked: 80
^A couple of thoughts…

Have you considered an outboard device for s-video support? Processors and AVRs that I'm familiar with have moved on from this kind of connection. Yeah, it's a PITA but an outboard device gets you the functionality and opens up the field of contenders.

I've been using an Anthem AVM 60 processor with an A5 for about 8 months and like it quite a bit. Some data points on this processor.
• It has balanced audio outs and works well with my A5.
• Some people have serious challenges getting HDMI to work, some don't. There are 7 physical HDMI inputs, 2 outputs. It requires premium certified cables (fortunately, these are inexpensive.)
• At least for me, HDMI switching can be a bit fussy.
• At least for me, the menu system seems OK but I also don't use it every day. It doesn't seem overtly clunky.
• Some people have serious challenges getting networking to work, some don't.
• Most users seem to like ARC, some don't.
• Most users really like the sound quality, few don't.
• It supports latest audio and video bells and whistles (4K, HDR, Atmos, etc.)
• Most users seem OK with the price (MSRP=3K)

So, there are probably things here you would like and along with things you might not.

Earlier this year, the primary competition for the AVM 60 seemed to be the Marantz 8802A at $4K MSRP. It was over my budget at the time, but it seemed to be well thought of. It might be worth checking out.
madhuski and leecreek like this.
post #6 of 14 Old 09-20-2017, 09:02 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 28 Post(s)
Quoted: 2221 Post(s)
Liked: 3414
I think you're gonna find that you're SOL on the S-Video need. You'll probably have to find some kind of converter box for those. But coming from a D2V I would recommend the AVM-60 easily. It sounds fantastic and is a far more streamlined and easier to use piece of kit in comparison to the D2V. NO HDMI issues and far easier ARC and OSD.

My Home Theater
Technical Editor/Writer Sound and Vision Magazine
post #7 of 14 Old 09-20-2017, 09:07 AM - Thread Starter

Liked: 17
I'm willing to forego the S-Video requirement, I imagine many units these days have abandoned legacy connections. Thanks for the thoughts so far!

post #8 of 14 Old 09-20-2017, 10:18 AM

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Quote:
I

Cheers,
R
With regard to B-99's reply:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill-99 View Post
Have you considered an outboard device for s-video support? Processors and AVRs that I'm familiar with have moved on from this kind of connection. Yeah, it's a PITA but an outboard device gets you the functionality and opens up the field of contenders. R
I bought an Anthem AVM-60 and a PVA-4 in late July after talking to Anthem about whether they were planning on releasing a major upgrade to the d2v or a completely new unit (d3/v?) to comport with all the new UHD 4K variables (HDR+, Dolby Vision, etc.) If I understood correctly, they told me that at this point it was their opinion that things were changing so rapidly with regard to the 4K video protocols that were they were waiting for things to settle down and "standardize" a bit because some things weren't completely software upgradable and that design/manufacture of other motherboards to keep up was not a cost effective approach. But the AVM-60 HDMI inputs (and I believe it has 8 (contrary to Bill-99) HDMI inputs with 7 on the back and one in the front) and outputs are all HDMI 2.0a, HDCP 2.2, 4:4:4 Subsampling at 4K60 (18.2 Gbps) compliant and pass all the current digital info through. And if you don't necessarily require futzing with the digital video information through the pre/pro at this point it may be an option.

Having owned an AVM-20 dating back to 2003 and that was in HDMI's nascent days (not to mention HDCP) I jumped in the home theater world at an awkward time. Anthem a month ago had (maybe still has?) a promotion going where one could trade in their previous AV device for a 20% discount on any new Anthem device so I managed to get the AVM-60 for $2,400 plus tax. However if you were to sell your d2v used you would most likely get a lot more than $600 for it.

I'm very happy with the AVM-60 and haven't had (what I would call anyway) any HDMI switching issues (yet) using an Oppo UDP-203, Toshiba HD-A1 HD-DVD (talk about bad timing!) Sony BDP-BX58 Blu-Ray, ROKU 3, Spectrum Cable box, and a Mac Laptop Pro. I don't really use it's own streaming capabilities because I use other ones just plugged into an HDMI input. Not sure the menu system may have changed that much but after the initial setup, the only part of it I use is the input section which seems relatively easy.

Mark

Last edited by MarkZ; 09-21-2017 at 09:33 AM.
post #9 of 14 Old 09-20-2017, 10:26 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 648 Post(s)
Liked: 351
do you have a budget jud like to stay within?

to echo what was said above, the AVM-60 seems to be a natural step for you. the 8802 is also fantastic (i've had both), but its successor is coming out in the spring.

the Emotiva RMC is another consideration, but that too is targeted for a 2018 release. Dirac would be the big selling point here.

Selling in AVS Classifieds
Salk Songtower RT (RAAL)
URC MX-880 Remotes

post #10 of 14 Old 09-20-2017, 10:40 AM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 79 Post(s)
Liked: 31
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kris Deering View Post
I think you're gonna find that you're SOL on the S-Video need. You'll probably have to find some kind of converter box for those. But coming from a D2V I would recommend the AVM-60 easily. It sounds fantastic and is a far more streamlined and easier to use piece of kit in comparison to the D2V. NO HDMI issues and far easier ARC and OSD.
Kris, as you yourself moved from a D2V to a AVM-60, how do you find it's 2ch performance?
One of the qualities that I like about my D2V and P2 amp combo is that the noise floor is very very low. Basically no hiss at all.
Audio wise, I have heard other systems that sound "louder" but the D2V just sounds better (no audiophile explicatives here) to my ears and within my system. I went from a Denon 3808, EAD Theatremaster, Anthem D2 then finally a D2V.

I am in the same situation where I would want to replace my D2V but right now I am getting by with sending UHD video direct to the projector and HDMI audio to the Anthem. The Marantz 8803 due sometime in early 2018 might be the one...
A future Anthem product that has the looks of the new STR integrated would be a big surprise.
post #11 of 14 Old 09-20-2017, 10:51 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 174 Post(s)
Liked: 80
MarkZ, you are absolutely right on the HDMI input count: it's 7 on the back, 1 on the front. I never remember the one on the front because I don't use it. Thanks for reading closely and catching that.

rsinclair, not sure if this is an option for you: if your Anthem dealer has a loaner policy, the AVM 60 might be fun to audition in your equipment rack. Might as well ask for an 8802A, too.
post #12 of 14 Old 09-20-2017, 10:52 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 28 Post(s)
Quoted: 2221 Post(s)
Liked: 3414
I missed the 2-channel performance of the D2V with both the Marantz and when I tried the XMC-1. With the AVM-60, I don't miss it at all. BUT, 2-channel playback is VERY subjective. I heard 2-channel rigs all the time that their owner just LOVES that I didn't care for. So that is a VERY personal choice and setup and many other things come into play. I like ARC vastly more than I like Audyssey, though I can make the latter sound pretty damn good.

My Home Theater
Technical Editor/Writer Sound and Vision Magazine
post #13 of 14 Old 09-20-2017, 06:01 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 29
I went from a Meridian G68 to a Marantz 8802A, to get into the Atmos DTS-X game. It's a nice reliable piece, especially stable HDMI performance, but when it's time for music listening, I miss the Meridian. I've been taking a look at the Lyngdorf MP-50, so far my only reservations are that the HDMI links are not 18 Gig, and that early on some folks had issues working with the Oppo Ultra Blu-ray players. I don't know if those have been resolved as yet. Has anyone heard the Lyngdorf?
post #14 of 14 Old 09-20-2017, 06:13 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 570 Post(s)
Liked: 251
The Arcam AV860 is an option. Still working on a few firmware tweaks. It is the platform the new Lexicon will be based on.

The Marantz 8802A will be getting a refresh around the Jan-Feb timeline.

Anthem AV 60 is the least cost if you want buy another 3-5 years befor the next wave of innovation.

Mike Miles
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page