1Likes
  • 1 Post By leecreek

post #1 of 13 Old 09-20-2017, 01:13 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Disposal of old receivers?

what do people do with old receivers? i had a decently full featured Yamaha (~$1500 in 2011) that stopped working well last year, and after many failed attempts to get it to work, i've just moved back to my old Denon, with all the source switching happening at the TV instead of the receiver. i can tell that most of the Yamaha still is in good shape, but there's something about the circuitry that causes the speakers to just not play any sound some of the time. it's not important how to fix it, because i just don't really have the energy for it, but should i just throw it out?

i'm not so concerned about the money, but just for the principle of avoiding wastefulness i'd rather find somewhere to go with it than leave it outside on the corner.

Last edited by rboster; 09-20-2017 at 03:05 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 Old 09-20-2017, 01:31 PM
QuadMersed in bass!

Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked: 36
post #3 of 13 Old 09-20-2017, 01:38 PM - Thread Starter

>>If Stereo works, use it as a zone amp, like with an Echo Dot?
i don't have a use in my nyc apartment for a second zone (or maybe i'm misunderstanding what you mean). i'd be happy to give it to someone to fiddle with it if they thought they could use it, if they wanted to try

>>Donate it to Good Will?
if it worked better i'd be happy to do this. i just wouldn't think they'd be capable of diagnosing the problem and really fixing it. and i'd guess they're more likely to throw it out themselves if they couldn't get it to work, rather than scavenging the pieces that work. i honestly think the used-furniture-fairies who pick up everything left on the corner would be more likely to find the right destination for something like this than i would

post #4 of 13 Old 09-20-2017, 02:03 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 73 Post(s)
Liked: 93
Every couple of months, in my area, there are electronics recycling events at a local shopping center. Old computers, monitors, TV's, stereo gear are accepted at no charge. The company makes money off the scrap and precious metals value and there may be some rebate from the state of California as well.
post #5 of 13 Old 09-20-2017, 02:09 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 1192 Post(s)
Liked: 1029
You can stack it on my perfectly-functioning-as-designed Denon 5800 and 4311 stored in my garage shelf.
post #6 of 13 Old 09-20-2017, 02:34 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gandu View Post
Every couple of months, in my area, there are electronics recycling events at a local shopping center. Old computers, monitors, TV's, stereo gear are accepted at no charge. The company makes money off the scrap and precious metals value and there may be some rebate from the state of California as well.
thanks. i'll look into that
post #7 of 13 Old 09-20-2017, 02:56 PM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 188 Post(s)
Liked: 144
Quote:
Originally Posted by ceczar View Post
what do people do with old receivers? i had a decently full featured Yamaha (~$1500 in 2011) that stopped working well last year, and after many failed attempts to get it to work, i've just moved back to my old Denon, with all the source switching happening at the TV instead of the receiver. i can tell that most of the Yamaha still is in good shape, but there's something about the circuitry that causes the speakers to just not play any sound some of the time. it's not important how to fix it, because i just don't really have the energy for it, but should i just throw it out? it's obviously not high-end enough to be able to sell to a stereo specialty shop. can i sell it to someone who can actually use the parts or can refurbish it?

i'm not so concerned about the money, but just for the principle of avoiding wastefulness i'd rather find somewhere to go with it than leave it outside on the corner.
Not sure if they all do, but the Best Buy located near my has a Recycle Program where you can turn in all kinds of electronics. Depending on what it is, you may also get a gift card if the item is deemed to have some value. No purchase necessary. I have no connection to Best Buy.
post #8 of 13 Old 09-20-2017, 03:16 PM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Quote:
what do people do with old receivers? i had a decently full featured Yamaha (~$1500 in 2011) that stopped working well last year, and after many failed attempts to get it to work, i've just moved back to my old Denon, with all the source switching happening at the TV instead of the receiver. i can tell that most of the Yamaha still is in good shape, but there's something about the circuitry that causes the speakers to just not play any sound some of the time. it's not important how to fix it, because i just don't really have the energy for it, but should i just throw it out?

I have somewhat the same issue. My old Pioneer Elite VSX27TX started failing, would only work when warmed up for ~20-30 minutes then worked fine. But it was getting dated, no HDMI but still rocked.
I bought a Pioneer Elite SC-LX701 and am loving it, still getting some of the new to me features figured out.

I know the problem with the 27TX is fixable had it fixed ~5 years ago, a known problem with the DSP module surface mount chip developing cold solder joints from warm up cool down cycles.

Way to fond of it to just throw it out.
John
post #9 of 13 Old 09-20-2017, 03:23 PM

Liked: 1
A lot of states have free recycling programs. A lot of them partner with Goodwill. That's what I would check first.
post #10 of 13 Old 09-20-2017, 03:28 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 1206 Post(s)
Liked: 442
Quote:

Put it on Freecycle or the free section of CL, and someone will take it. If the thing powers on at all, I actually expect someone on CL would even buy it (super cheap).
post #11 of 13 Old 09-21-2017, 10:39 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 174 Post(s)
Liked: 80
Some companies offer trade-in value for old electronics, functional or not, different manufacturer or not. Who knows? It might be a 20% off coupon in the future.
post #12 of 13 Old 09-21-2017, 11:00 AM

Quoted: 32 Post(s)
Liked: 962
I just keep everything.lol Last two receivers just couldn't swim thru Hurricane Irene and drowned in my shop. The one I was really upset about was my 1973 Sansui Eight. Right now there is a Kenwood 8060, pioneer laser disc, 400 disc sony cd/dvd changer and our RCA CED disc player. And a shelf of sat tv receivers.....Just sitting..

I know..Pack RAT
Bill-99 likes this.
post #13 of 13 Old 09-21-2017, 11:05 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 174 Post(s)
Liked: 80
Quote:
Originally Posted by leecreek View Post
I just keep everything.lol Last two receivers just couldn't swim thru Hurricane Irene and drowned in my shop. The one I was really upset about was my 1973 Sansui Eight. Right now there is a Kenwood 8060, pioneer laser disc, 400 disc sony cd/dvd changer and our RCA CED disc player. And a shelf of sat tv receivers.....Just sitting..

I know..Pack RAT
Irene ate my home audio?

Been a while since I've heard anyone mention that era of gear. Pleasant memories!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page