Can I run a receiver with soundbar connected to tv? - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 7 Old 09-23-2017, 10:50 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 35 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Can I run a receiver with soundbar connected to tv?

This is a real n00b question.

I'm planning on building my home theater system one piece at a time. I want to start with the receiver, and move all of my HDMI inputs to it. Currently, I have a Sony soundbar for my speakers connected to set by optical cable, and I'd like to continue using it until I decide upon final speakers. Is this do-able with inputs connected by receiver?

If it makes any difference, I've got a 65" LG C7.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old 09-23-2017, 11:04 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 387 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 15390 Post(s)
Liked: 7528
Quote:
Originally Posted by chunter1001 View Post
This is a real n00b question.

I'm planning on building my home theater system one piece at a time. I want to start with the receiver, and move all of my HDMI inputs to it. Currently, I have a Sony soundbar for my speakers connected to set by optical cable, and I'd like to continue using it until I decide upon final speakers. Is this do-able with inputs connected by receiver?

If it makes any difference, I've got a 65" LG C7.
You most likely are using a "powered" sound bar which is normally connected directly to the TV as opposed to "non-powered" which is powered by an AVR. If "powered", then you'll have to first get the audio signal to the sound bar which can be accomplished by setting the <HDMI Audio Out> setting to "TV" but then the video signal must still pass to the TV so unless the sound bar also features an HDMI output, you would have to use an HDMI splitter between the AVR and sound bar/TV.
post #3 of 7 Old 09-23-2017, 11:21 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdsmoothie View Post
You most likely are using a "powered" sound bar which is normally connected directly to the TV as opposed to "non-powered" which is powered by an AVR. If "powered", then you'll have to first get the audio signal to the sound bar which can be accomplished by setting the <HDMI Audio Out> setting to "TV" but then the video signal must still pass to the TV so unless the sound bar also features an HDMI output, you would have to use an HDMI splitter between the AVR and sound bar/TV.
Thanks for the reply! That's right, I'm using a powered Sony HT-CT660 soundbar now that is connected to the tv via optical cable.

So I couldn't run all HDMI devices to receiver and then connect receiver via HDMI to tv AND run the powered soundbar to TV via optical, correct?

post #4 of 7 Old 09-23-2017, 11:54 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 164 Post(s)
Liked: 152
Yes , you can , although I don't know what settings you'll have to play with between your tv and soundbar but it should be fairly simple . In your example you would be using the receiver mostly as an HDMI switcher , sending audio and video signals via HDMI to the TV , then the TV sends the audio to the soundbar .

There might be audio formats that your TV won't send to the soundbar , if you care or need them , you may be able to run the HDMI out to the soundbar in , then HDMI out of the bar to the TV

Turn that $*!# UP!! --Beethoven
post #5 of 7 Old 09-23-2017, 08:38 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 2
I'd say start by defining a purpose around your purchase. Nothing wrong with buying stuff in stages, it is much easier to see AVR and at least front speakers first. Without (non-powered) speakers, an AVR is just a switch for AV sources. And you'll have to focus on the output to match your needs, whereas not all AVRs may have the outputs you need as they focus more on outputting to speakers.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
post #6 of 7 Old 09-24-2017, 12:54 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 387 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 15390 Post(s)
Liked: 7528
Quote:
Originally Posted by chunter1001 View Post
Thanks for the reply! That's right, I'm using a powered Sony HT-CT660 soundbar now that is connected to the tv via optical cable.

So I couldn't run all HDMI devices to receiver and then connect receiver via HDMI to tv AND run the powered soundbar to TV via optical, correct?
Depends on the capability of the TV as to what audio will pass to the soundbar from the HDMI input (likely only PCM 2.0 stereo).
post #7 of 7 Old 09-26-2017, 06:12 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks for all of the advice! It?s very helpful to me!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page