PC won't play through audio setup - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 11 Old 09-24-2017, 03:15 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 0
PC won't play through audio setup

Hi, please help me get our school's audio equipment up and running!

I'm a primary school teacher in the UK. We have a new setup in our hall which includes mixer, amp, CD player and PC.

The mixer has 6 channels, everything is working fine except I can't get the PC to play it's audio through it. I connected to the remaining channel using a cable that connects from the headphone socket to red and black jacks which go into the mixer.

This doesn't work. The cable is fine, it works on a similar setup in my classroom. I swapped it to the channel where the CD player works, no joy. I tried a different laptop, no joy. Windows 7 and 10 tried, nothing plays through this setup. It does work through some mini of speakers however.

This is driving me mad, what am I doing wrong?!? Please help.

Thanks
Nigel
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 Old 09-25-2017, 06:44 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 174 Post(s)
Liked: 80
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nigel Cozens View Post
Hi, please help me get our school's audio equipment up and running!

I'm a primary school teacher in the UK. We have a new setup in our hall which includes mixer, amp, CD player and PC.

The mixer has 6 channels, everything is working fine except I can't get the PC to play it's audio through it. I connected to the remaining channel using a cable that connects from the headphone socket to red and black jacks which go into the mixer.

This doesn't work. The cable is fine, it works on a similar setup in my classroom. I swapped it to the channel where the CD player works, no joy. I tried a different laptop, no joy. Windows 7 and 10 tried, nothing plays through this setup. It does work through some mini of speakers however.

This is driving me mad, what am I doing wrong?!? Please help.

Thanks
Nigel
Specific products and model numbers would help us help you.

Anthem AVM 60; Anthem Statement A5; Samsung UN65KS800DF; Oppo UDP-203; Roku Premiere+; DIY HTPC; Audio Concepts Panoramas, Sapphires, Essence; Velodyne FSR-12; Logitech Harmony Companion
post #3 of 11 Old 09-25-2017, 10:39 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 28 Post(s)
Quoted: 3503 Post(s)
Liked: 1771
You don't mention trying a new mini-jack-to-stereo-RCA adapter cable, so that seems a likely culprit.

However bear in mind that most headphone outputs aren't designed to be plugged into a line-level RCA input. That's why most soundcards have headphone minijack connections which are separate from their RCA line-level outputs, although some use minijack connections for both.

ETA: you also don't mention configuring the computers' audio outputs to make sure the headphone outputs are the default, so make sure that's been done, too.

Selden

Marantz SR7009 avr + MM9000 amp --> Atmos 7.1.4
Fronts=NHT 2.9+AC2, FH+TM=DefTech PM1000, LCR+TM amped

post #4 of 11 Old 09-25-2017, 01:56 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Selden Ball View Post
You don't mention trying a new mini-jack-to-stereo-RCA adapter cable, so that seems a likely culprit.

However bear in mind that most headphone outputs aren't designed to be plugged into a line-level RCA input. That's why most soundcards have headphone minijack connections which are separate from their RCA line-level outputs, although some use minijack connections for both.

ETA: you also don't mention configuring the computers' audio outputs to make sure the headphone outputs are the default, so make sure that's been done, too.
Hi, thanks for your reply.

The RCA cable I have works because I took it from a different setup in my classroom. I have however just bought a XLR 3 Pin Male to 3.5mm Stereo Jack Plug as an alternative.

Sorry to be a bit thick but could you tell me how I 'configure the computers' audio outputs' and 'make sure the headphone outputs are the default'
post #5 of 11 Old 09-25-2017, 02:05 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:

I've just re-read your comment and am trying to see exactly what you mean. I've googled 'mini-jack-to-stereo-RCA adapter cable' and can't see how these connectors would fit this system. I've got headphone socket on PC and either red/white jacks or XLR 3 pin socket on the mixer.

Thanks again for your help.
post #6 of 11 Old 09-25-2017, 02:49 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 83 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4333 Post(s)
Liked: 2789
Quote:
I've just re-read your comment and am trying to see exactly what you mean. I've googled 'mini-jack-to-stereo-RCA adapter cable' and can't see how these connectors would fit this system. I've got headphone socket on PC and either red/white jacks or XLR 3 pin socket on the mixer.

Thanks again for your help.
My PC is hooked up as you describe and works just fine.

It is likely a setup issue or volume issue on the sound card.

http://www.peachpit.com/articles/art...7145&seqNum=10

Geoff A. J., California
post #7 of 11 Old 09-25-2017, 05:24 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 28 Post(s)
Quoted: 3503 Post(s)
Liked: 1771
Quote:
Hi, thanks for your reply.

The RCA cable I have works because I took it from a different setup in my classroom. I have however just bought a XLR 3 Pin Male to 3.5mm Stereo Jack Plug as an alternative.

Sorry to be a bit thick but could you tell me how I 'configure the computers' audio outputs' and 'make sure the headphone outputs are the default'
You need to open the computer's "playback device" menu,
- either by right-mouse-button clicking on the speaker icon at the far right end of the taskbar,
- or by opening the Control Panel in the computer's Start menu, select Sound -> Manage Audio Devices (or the Sound menu item, depending on what Control Panel View you have enabled).
+ Either way, you'll get a new window titled "Sound".

That new window will show you icons for each of the audio output devices known to Windows. Right-mouse-button click on the appropriate one and select the option "Set as default device". Then click on the Configure button at the bottom left of that window and configure its output appropriately.

Selden

Marantz SR7009 avr + MM9000 amp --> Atmos 7.1.4
Fronts=NHT 2.9+AC2, FH+TM=DefTech PM1000, LCR+TM amped
post #8 of 11 Old 09-26-2017, 05:52 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
- either by right-mouse-button clicking on the speaker icon at the far right end of the taskbar,
- or by opening the Control Panel in the computer's Start menu, select Sound -> Manage Audio Devices (or the Sound menu item, depending on what Control Panel View you have enabled).

That new window will show you icons for each of the audio output devices known to Windows. Right-mouse-button click on the appropriate one and select the option "Set as default device". Then click on the Configure button at the bottom left of that window and configure its output appropriately.
Hi

I've had some success. The new cable I bought (headphone jack to XLR 3 pin) has worked to a degree. However, the video I played had music but no voices. Anyone able to help with that?
post #9 of 11 Old 09-26-2017, 05:53 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:

Hi

I've had some success. The new cable I bought (headphone jack to XLR 3 pin) has worked to a degree. However, the video I played had music but no voices. Anyone able to help with that?
post #10 of 11 Old 09-26-2017, 06:01 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 82 Post(s)
Liked: 58
Quote:
Hi

Does the computer's headphone jack work when you plug regular headphones into it? If yes, then the issue is the mixer and/or the cable.

Sharp LC-80LE844U | Marantz BD8002 | Marantz AV8003 | Marsh Sound Design A400s (FL/FR) | Marantz MM7055 (C/SL/SR) | Phase Tech PC 9.1 (FL/FR) | Phase Tech PC 3.1 (C/SL/SR) | 3 Phase Tech Octave Power-15 Subs | 1 REL R-528 Sub
post #11 of 11 Old 09-26-2017, 06:53 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jawaburger View Post
Does the computer's headphone jack work when you plug regular headphones into it? If yes, then the issue is the mixer and/or the cable.
Further Googling told me that the headphone jack shouldn't be pushed all the way in. All sorted, we have sound!!!

Thanks for the help.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page