YAMAHA vs MARANTZ - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 24 Old 08-24-2003, 03:09 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I initially bought a Marantz SR4300(80Wx6) and gave it back after a week and got Yamaha RXV-5400(80Wx6) because Yamah has more features. But I think I made a mistake as Yamaha seems a bit bright to me and the bass is low in stereo mode. Since these were at the same price and that is what my pocket allowed does any one tell me whether I made the right choice or not. I would appreciate it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 24 Old 08-24-2003, 08:03 PM

Yamaha is a wrong choice for the speakers you have since they are sounding bright. Marantz is also an excellent choice and is way more tolerable and easier to match than Yamaha with different speakers.

The Yamaha sonic character is also not up to everyone's pallette, I and others like myself love it but most dont.
post #3 of 24 Old 08-24-2003, 10:14 PM

It seems kinda funny to me, that people characterize the Yamahas as "bright", whereas I would call the sound crisp, or detailed.=]

I just made you up to hurt myself....
post #4 of 24 Old 08-25-2003, 06:05 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Stryf3
It seems kinda funny to me, that people characterize the Yamahas as "bright", whereas I would call the sound crisp, or detailed.=]
So would I anyday but sadly I am talking generaly. With proper speakers, there is hardly anything close to Yamaha.
post #5 of 24 Old 08-25-2003, 07:58 AM

Greetings,

My point, as usual, is what's your receiver for? Music or movies? Yamaha has a solid technology for movies and yes, its sound bright for me. With music Yamaha is not able to reproduce real environment; ioh Marantz can give you a solid space on Pink Floyd, an airy barroque violin sonata from italian era composers, a truly acustic piano with Norah Jones etc. Marantz is more musical.
My personal taste would go for Marantz: anything, any type of sound from movies is ok. But try to listen any Beethoven sonatas on a Yamaha; Beethoven wouldn't accept.
My opinion.
lmauta
post #6 of 24 Old 08-25-2003, 08:36 AM - Thread Starter

I am running my Yamaha RXV-540 with JBL northbridge speakers(n38II Fronts, nCenterII, n26II rears). So, any body think I should change my speakers instead. I have also tried reducing the treble on the reciever by setting it to 'zero'(-10 to +10 range) but then the sound is not very detailed but sounds muffled.
post #7 of 24 Old 08-25-2003, 09:01 AM

The JBL speakers should sound fine on the Yamaha like B&W, Yamaha, Canton etc. Are you finding the material excessively bright?
post #8 of 24 Old 08-25-2003, 10:02 AM - Thread Starter

First of all thanks for the response guys.
Not very bright but doesn't sound 'natural'. And the bass is missing in stereo mode without sub, because I like to listem music in stereo mode without any sub. I am using 12gauge premium cable for fronts and center, just to let you know. My old Sony prologic reciever sounded better (100Wx2) in stereo mode. Is it due to 80W/channel. Should I try Yamaha RXV-1300 (100W/channel). How much difference does it make sound wise when you upgarde from 80W to 100W per channel.
post #9 of 24 Old 08-25-2003, 04:27 PM

You mentioned the Yamaha 1300... the new RX-V1400 will be in stock the end of September with 110 watts per channel and Yamahas self tuneing system.... just a thought as I dont know how soon you are buying.. I will have one on order to replace my old unit... it was taken out by mister thunderbolt... went right thru the surge supressor.. :mad:
post #10 of 24 Old 08-25-2003, 05:07 PM

He may actually mean harsh and not bright. While I like Yamaha products (I currently have an older 995 receiver I use in my secondary system) they do tend to be on the harsher side when it comes to high end reproduction. There are certain speakers that do not sound all that great with Yammy receivers. IMHO Marantz tends to be a little more laid back when it comes to the high notes and this may be what the original poster is "hearing".

Quote:
Originally posted by Stryf3
post #11 of 24 Old 08-25-2003, 06:22 PM

I should explain, I had a Pioneer non elite series receiver before my current Yamaha htr5540, and it sounded very harsh and shrill compared to my 5540. I always thought the defects in sound were because I had the TV, and consequently, the speakers in a corner. I could never get crisp sound without a shrill harshness to the sound. As soon as I upgraded to my 5540, the sound was much richer, fuller, and still very detailed.

I know the Yamaha sound is not for everyone, I was just commenting on the differences in opinion.=]

I just made you up to hurt myself....
post #12 of 24 Old 08-25-2003, 07:36 PM

ye, u need certain types of speaker with yamaha. I used to have eltax floorstanding speakers(went down to 45hz) with no sub and it sounded way too harsh. I got some bw dm601 s1, a sub, and now in music it sounds great. powerful bass, clear lyrics and a detailed rich sound. even without the sub it still sounds good, not harsh at all.

if its sounding bright/harsh in movies your doing something wrong, I tried 4 different speakers in movies and none of em sounded harsh.
post #13 of 24 Old 08-25-2003, 08:02 PM - Thread Starter

Well movie wise I am very happy with my Yamaha RXV5400. It is the music, specially stereo mode. The sound isn't detailed. Also as far RXV1400 is concerned I only have the option of changing it now or otherwise it is going to be a pain to get rid of it later. I intend to use my new reciever for a while that is why I am trying to get the right thing. Also the store from where I bought it carries only Yamaha, Marantz or Denon and Denons are over my budget limit(not yet). I was looking at the specs of Marantz 5300(90x6) w/192kHz/24bit D/A Converters. Will this be a better choice over Yamaha RXV5400. Please advice. I would appreciate.
post #14 of 24 Old 08-25-2003, 08:08 PM

if it is possible to go to the shop and ask for a demo of the marantz, that would be the best thing to do. take 1 of your cd's down aswell.

the marantz would be better for music definitely and in movies it should be pretty good aswell.

http://www.audioreview.com/A-V,Recei...7_2718crx.aspx
post #15 of 24 Old 08-25-2003, 09:22 PM

Boston Acoustics also sound great with Yamaha. But really, speakers are more of a determining factor for the character of than the sound than the receiver. Everyone likes to peg receivers from different brands as sounding a certain way, but I'd recommend listening to music from a new receiver for several days before passing judgement. And throw out the "this one sounds 'bright,' this one sounds 'neutral'" preconceptions before you sit down to listen. Just my $.02.
post #16 of 24 Old 08-25-2003, 10:52 PM

The Yamaha RX-V1400 and RX-V2400 will be out within 2-3 weeks. If you could sell you current receiver an wait out the couple of weeks I would recommend listening to the new Yamaha's, before passing judgment. The x300 versions have 24 bit 192khz DAC's and the new ones will too. Don't get me wrong the Marantz sounds amazing, but I think the new Yamaha's will be much better than the x300 series.

Thats my 2 cents.
post #17 of 24 Old 08-26-2003, 12:52 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 42
A JBL N-series to S-series upgrade would probably be a good move too. I have an N-center paired with some older P-20s in my HT. The N is not nearly as crisp in the upper-range. Muddy highs. It is fine for HT (what I use it for) but I wouldn't want my main music speaker to sound this way. I can easily see where the N series would sound better with a warmer amp than with a brighter one - smothes over its limitations.

How is your dealer? Did you originally get your speakers there too?
If you have the time and opportunity, I'd try a couple different speakers in your room. If not can you swap back for the original receiver?
post #18 of 24 Old 08-26-2003, 03:12 PM - Thread Starter

I bought my Yamaha reciever more than 2 months ago from A&B sound here in Canada and my JBL N-series speakers more than a month ago from visions electronics (they did not have s-series and I didn't knew about them until I checked the website). They both are over 30 day return period. I'll go today and demo Marantz because A&B sound told me that they'll let me exchange my reciever only if I bought the other reciever at full retail price. I am not sure whether it is worth it or not. Like Marantz5300 is for $799 Canadian(US $571 approx.) I'll talk to visions as well and see if they can order JBL Studio speakers for me or not. This is the only option I see at this moment.
post #19 of 24 Old 08-26-2003, 03:27 PM

One vote for the Marantz here - if you llisten to 2 channel music much.

Have the 7300, and auditioned the 5300 and 8200. Just gets better with time. Running PSB's FR, FL and Mirage C+ SR,SL.

IMHO - 5300 has all the most necessary features, sounds great with all movies I've played so far, AND will sound better with music than ANYTHING short of an NAD, or ROTEL - which are higher in price. Especially with JBL's which are fairly warm.

Good Luck

"Hey - you can't fool me. There ain't no such thing as a Sanity Clause" - Chico Marx
post #20 of 24 Old 08-26-2003, 06:32 PM

Dans03
You said that you auditioned both SR-7200 and SR-8200. I am interested in 8200 and currently deciding between 8200 & Denon 4802.
Why did you prefer 7200 over 8200 (other than the difference in price) ?

Rhoniel
post #21 of 24 Old 08-29-2003, 12:07 PM - Thread Starter

Yes I went to the place where I bought my reciever from and auditioned Marantz7300 and YamahaRXV1300 side by side for 2 channel music and they sounded almost same to me. Also the guy at the store suggested me to try changing the settings of my speakers from 'large' to 'small', in the reciever menu, even if they are tower speakers and send all the LFE signal to the sub. And it really worked for me and I feel the sound to be more detailed now. I guess my JBL N38II towers are not that good at handling low frequency signal. So, I have made up my mind that I would keep my Yamaha reciever for a while now and upgrade it later to RXV1400 down the road. Thanks to everone reviews here.
post #22 of 24 Old 08-29-2003, 01:49 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 42
Try adding PB10 or PB12 to your N system and pull those lows way down. See if the stroe you bought your speakers from would lend you one or buy one with 30 day return. If you use a sound meter to calibrate and it doesn't sound better - take it back.
post #23 of 24 Old 08-29-2003, 03:37 PM

Liked: 11
I would set all of your speakers to 'Small' and then select 'Sub' for LFE/Bass output. Then turn up the high-cut on your Subwoofer to about 110HZ so you have some blending. The Low-pass filter in the Yamaha cuts off the speakers at 90HZ, so 110 on your subwoofer should be just about right.

Hell hath no fury, like a women's scorn for Sega - Broadie.

Segaboy out..........
post #24 of 24 Old 08-30-2003, 08:10 AM - Thread Starter

That is exactly what I had done as per the Rep from the Audio store. And it did make a big difference in sound specially the stereo mode. Thanks
Closed Thread Receivers, Amps, and Processors

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page