Importing receiver:HK AVR7200 vs Onkyo 900? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 10 Old 11-25-2003, 05:05 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hi all,

I live in Australia so we pay triple the price for any audio gear, so I've decided to be a gambling man and import a receiver from either singapore or the USA.

Now I spotted two great deals on receivers in the USA. The Onkyo TXNR900 and the Harman Kardon AVR7200. Both are $899USD which is apparently a huge reduction over what they used to sell for. My other alternative is a Yamaha RXV2400 from singapore(for around $1300SGD), which has the advantage of already being in my native voltage so not needing an expensive stepdown transformer.

At the moment the HK 7200 looks like the sexiest and best value choice? Of course the key thing is how reliable these units are, as I'll be stuffed if I ever need it repaired.

As for suitability, the one thing that really bugs me about my current Luxman LR2500RS receiver is that every time a digital signal comes on it takes about 4 seconds to synch to it before it starts playing it, so if I fast forward a dvd I have to constantly rewind back and forth so that I don't miss out on the dialogue due to the clipping. Do any of the mentioned receivers suffer from this sort of issue?

The other thing important to me is the remote control. I am hoping to splurge on a good receiver and thus avoiding the need to spend hundreds of dollars(at least here in australia that is) on a seperate good learning remote. How is the remote on the above models?

Any opinions or thoughts or random suggestions would be apperciated, as well as perhaps any other models that are on insane clearance pricing :P

Thanks,
Jonathan
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 Old 11-26-2003, 04:58 AM

Hi Barfman
I have tried both the Yamaha 2400 and the Onkyo 900.
The Onkyo is without doubt better when you listen to stereo (Pure Audio mode). It has a more userfriendly remote and front panel. In most countries it costs twice as much as the Yamaha.
The Yamaha on the other hand has a lot more features, sounds as good or better than the Onkyo in surround modes.
Both has learning remotes with macro function. Non of them can be used seriously, a better buy is a Oneforall remote with updates for new devices etc.
Hope the information was to some help.
post #3 of 10 Old 11-26-2003, 07:14 AM

Ummagumma,

basically you recommend the Yammy 2440 for home theater sessions, right?
Have you tried any Marantz or Onkyo equivalent?

Luck
post #4 of 10 Old 11-26-2003, 08:39 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by luck
Ummagumma,

basically you recommend the Yammy 2440 for home theater sessions, right?
Have you tried any Marantz or Onkyo equivalent?

Luck
Sorry, not enough to have an opinion.
post #5 of 10 Old 11-28-2003, 11:47 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
I own an HK 7200 which I compared against many receivers (but not the onkyo). I thought (and still think) it is an excellent receiver for the money. My runner up was a Rotel which I thought sounded similar and maybe even slightly better than the 7200. However the 7200 has a fantastic remote, two more channels and Logic 7 decoding, all which put it ahead of the Rotel for the price. I'm very pleased with my purchase.

Healthy skepticism is the best component for your HT
post #6 of 10 Old 11-28-2003, 02:32 PM - Thread Starter

I've managed to confuse the living hell out of myself in the past 2 days and am now looking at receivers from all the manufacturers, not wanting to regret things later :P

I read in a user review on another forum that the remote on the 7200 is really poor, but you say it's great? The guys' criticisms were that the size was extremely unwieldly, and that he had to point it directly at the receiver or it wouldn't register the signal....

That's one of my pet peeves of my current Luxman receiver, if you don't point the remote straight at the receiver it won't register... So you're definitely happy with the remote and no problem like that?

From this forum after hearing about the 3803 Denon deal for $650ish I've now got to consider that receiver too... plus all the newcomers that support prologic2X ... argh!

So I've got to think about the AVR 630, yammy 2400 and now the upcoming marantz sr-7400..... one thing that has me interested is the new 7400 remote looks damn sexy and ergonomic ...

I'd go the AVR 630 since I don't need amplifcation for my fronts( I have NHTpro active monitor speakers with their own external 250watt amps) but bloody Harman won't say whether we get a free upgrade to prologic2X.. or any free upgrades via the rs323 port for that matter.... I don't like it when a company acts shady like that, billing a receiver as upgradeable but then not committing....

What to do guys? Help! :(
post #7 of 10 Old 11-28-2003, 05:53 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by barfman

I'd go the AVR 630 since I don't need amplifcation for my fronts( I have NHTpro active monitor speakers with their own external 250watt amps) but bloody Harman won't say whether we get a free upgrade to prologic2X.. or any free upgrades via the rs323 port for that matter.... I don't like it when a company acts shady like that, billing a receiver as upgradeable but then not committing....

What to do guys? Help! :( [/b]
Barfman, I think most of us expect too much when a manufacturer's sales brochure states 'upgradeability'.

Those manufacturers who have really performed these upgrades can be listed on a few fingers:
BK Components did it with the AVR305/307 being upgradeable to the current AVR505/507 but it cost 50% of the new machine.
Denon did it with their flagship AVC1SE at 33% cost of new machine.

My HK AVR8500 says the chipset is upgradeable, and even though there is nothing yet on offer, I know it will cost me some tangible $.

Those units with an RS-232 port, will only allow firmware upgrades, which will only fix software bugs....which in the true sense is still an upgrade.

Since you are swimming around the upper mid-fi for AVR's have you considered NAD?

The NAD T763 compares very well with the AVR630 and Denon 3803

here's an interesting link about Power rating claims versus what is actually measured.

http://www.geocities.com/Area51/Holl...1/ratevsac.htm

Harman Kardon and NAD are consistently honest to their claims, and thankfully both these two brand's actually sound musically good as well.
post #8 of 10 Old 11-29-2003, 02:33 AM - Thread Starter

Hi there,

The NAD T762 is actually the only receiver I've managed to hear(unfortunately it is not too easy for me to demo the higher end units here in australia unless I take a 1hr drive out, and then have to put up with salesmen basically ignoring me because they think I'm just a kid with no cash *sigh*).

I thought the NAD sounded awesome, but one of my peeves is paying so much for a receiver and only getting 2 optical inputs. I've already got two opticals in use with my PS2 and XBOX, and I imagine the next generation consoles will chew up another 1 or 2. The other worrying thing about the NADS is the delays synching to a digital signal I've been reading about, which my current Luxman suffers from too and drives me nuts.

So NAD is ruled out....

I currently am in an absolutely tiny cubicle of a room, and have barely enough room to try to cram in 3 rears which are basically almost side by side each other in a row :P In light of this, should I stop worrying at all about the lack of prologic2X in certain models, and base it all on other factors?

The fact that I've got the NHTpro's with their own amps for the fronts means the power difference between the AVR 630 and the 7200 is a non-issue, what about the general features/options and the quality of the components between the two? The 630 has newer dsps, but presumably since the 7200 was the flagship its build quality and components would have been superior? Or are all H/K's upper end of receivers on par with each other excluding power differences?

Looking at prices I could probably strech to afford a Pioneer VSX-55TXI or an onkyo 801 .. should I be thinking about those two ?

What about the Yamaha 2400? One thing that makes me think twice, is it correct to say/assume the 2400 is a mid range receiver whereas the 7200 would be a higher range model and thus superior?

Ugh, my head is frazzled :P
post #9 of 10 Old 11-29-2003, 08:52 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 23
Whatever you get, order the service manual at the same time, so you have at least a small chance of getting it repaired down under if/when it dies.

Curt

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
- CRT tech info

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
-pro audio website
post #10 of 10 Old 11-30-2003, 09:26 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
Barfman,

Yes, you have to point the remote directly at the receiver and this bothers me a bit. However, I am installing a IR repeater system from Xantech so this was not a consideration for me of whether it is a good remote. What makes the remote on the HK 7200 so good is that it has excellent programmability and learning functions, a two-line LCD display directly on the remote, a built-in SPL meter that will set your speakers to appropriate levels automatically based on your room configuration, and I think it looks very cool. Before getting the 7200 I had planned on spending several hundred dollars on a Pronto remote or something similar. I found that I didn't need it with the 7200 so I saved myself a pile of cash.

Regarding the NAD's, I would strongly recommend giving them a listen. I own an old NAD two-channel that I still use and love. The NAD came a close third after HK 7200 and the Rotel 1066 for me. All three have simply awesome sound.

I did not like the Denon 3803. I compared it directly to the 7200 and the quality difference was stunning. I have heard a lot of people into HT say they like the Denon sound. If you don't do much critical listening to music you might put it on the list as it has some neat features for HT.

Good luck with your hunt.

Outlier

Healthy skepticism is the best component for your HT
Closed Thread Receivers, Amps, and Processors

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page