harmon kardon avr 7200 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 
Closed Thread

post #1 of 34 Old 03-30-2004, 07:35 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
thinking about purchasing the harmon kardon avr 7200 for $788 at onecall.
I already have an onkyo tx-sv919 receiver with the ed-901 ac3 decoder add on. will the harmon kardon be an upgrade for me. and anybody discover the difference in sound reproduction from these receivers.

thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 34 Old 03-30-2004, 09:41 PM

I was in a similar situation, and just went from an Onkyo TX-DS939 (not too different from your 919) to an HK 7200.

I found the difference was quite significant. I suspect the amps in the HK are much more powerful - despite having the same 100W power rating as the Onkyo, the HK sounds cleaner, more open. Dunno how to describe it really - the Onkyo has a good amp section, no doubt, but the HK just feels like it's effortless. In addition, since I'm only running 5.1 and the 7200 is a 7-channel amp, I used the Surround Back channels to bi-amp my mains (http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...hreadid=385242).

Another huge difference was the quality surround modes that I didn't have available in the 939 such as DTS and DPLII. From the quick search I did it looks like the ED-901 is pretty similar to the 939 in terms of surround modes - as in basically AC-3 and Pro Logic (minus the gimmicky modes like Hall and Stadium it seems?). Obviously there's a lot of new surround modes to be had now, be it with the 7200 or any new receiver. I find having Dolby Pro Logic II available for 2-channel audio like TV shows is great (as well as HK's own Logic 7 mode which sounds very good too - I haven't done enough listening to determine which one I like better). And finally I can listen to the DTS tracks on my DVDs!

Additionally, to my ear it sounds like the AC-3 decoding has improved over the initial implementation Onkyo put in their gear 4-5 years ago (not surprisingly, as that's a long time in lifespan of an audio format).

I can also finally take advantage of DVD-Audio discs with the 6/8-channel direct inputs on the 7200 (the Onkyo 939 had 5-channel direct inputs, but they were amp-level and as such needed a separate pre-amp for volume control - I guess DVD-A wasn't around when it was designed!).

Anyhow, if you decide to get a 7200 it will definitely be a very noticeable improvement, both in sound processing and in amplifier quality (IMO of course). You should be aware of the muting issue with HK receivers (aka dropouts, but they're not really dropouts). Some people find this to be a big problem, others don't, but it's definitely a factor to consider: http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...hreadid=344476

I think the real question you should be asking is not whether you'll get a significant difference from upgrading, but which receiver (or separates if you want to go that route) are the best choice. I looked at the Denon 3803, Marantz SR-7400, and Onkyo 800 / 801, but the value on the HK 7200 just seemed much greater at the price it's available at now.

edaly
post #3 of 34 Old 03-31-2004, 04:28 PM

Liked: 11
I am in need of a receiver upgrade. I had a couple questions. Is OneCall a good price on the 7200 (and reputable vendor)? I am reading that $800 and under is an excellent price.

The question I have is if this unit will do what I need it to. I currently have a very very old Kenwood that doesn't even have component input/outputs.

I now am in need of component input from my DVD, component input from my HD digital cable because my projector only has one component input and the DVI is not HDCP compatible so I can't use the DVI out on my cable box. Does the HK upconvert or downconvert svideo signals to component? or vice versa?

I want to make a good long term investment. The Kenwood served me right for a super long time.
post #4 of 34 Old 03-31-2004, 04:52 PM
AVS Special Member

I bought it over a month ago when the price first hit $788. At the time, it was still $1800 in stores. I live in suburban Atlanta and it arrived in two days from the west coast. I don't know the Onkyo product very well. However, I think you'll find the HK sound quality very warm and those amps are very powerful. Independent tests show that they produce over 115 watts @ 8ohms and 4ohms was peaking around 200. The bass management system alone is amazing. If you've read any of the 7200 posts the last month or so, pay very close attention to the size and weight. It is very large and VERY heavy. Also, those amps can get hot.

One more thing: I upgraded from a Denon 1803. I did some research before buying the 7200 and found that HK is regarded as one of the warmer sounding amps with Denon also near the top of that list. I will say that I can definitely tell the difference and the HK is warmer sounding. I think the Onkyos are a bit brighter and if that is correct, you'll definitely hear the diff.

jeff

What we have heah...is a failya...to communicate.
post #5 of 34 Old 03-31-2004, 05:22 PM

I have been looking since I posted and the one thing that has me concerned is all this talk about audio drop out and pauses. Not sure if this is people being extremely critical or if it is something that would get on my nerves.
post #6 of 34 Old 04-01-2004, 01:59 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 45 Post(s)
Liked: 16
as a 7200 owner, i would have to say you would have to experience it first hand and decide for youself. Personally, since my 7200 is remotely located (room below the theater), I don't mind the delay when sound formats are changing. It lets me know something is going on.
post #7 of 34 Old 04-01-2004, 02:06 PM

I think my very old receiver does that already, delay on sound change (i.e. when I go from SD to HD with digital audio).

My only concern at this point is whether I should go with the new 630 or the old 7200 since they are both around the same price.
post #8 of 34 Old 04-01-2004, 02:54 PM

Well apart from the feature differences between the 7200 and 630, the one thing the 630 has in its favour is an upgrade in the works which adds DPLIIx and is supposed to reduce the muting delay when changing sound formats.

The 7200 is not upgradeable, so us 7200 owners are stuck with the delay. Personally I don't find it a big deal, but it probably would be if I had an HDTV receiver and was switching sound formats with every channel change.

edaly
post #9 of 34 Old 04-01-2004, 02:59 PM

edaly,

So what does the 7200 have over the 630? The software upgradable feature looked very attractive on the 630...I just wasn't sure what I would not be getting if I went with the 630 instead of the 7200.
post #10 of 34 Old 04-01-2004, 04:31 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Just one thing on onecall,if you get an item DOA you pay to ship it back+you already paid to ship it to you.On the 7200 thats $110.00 from middle America.
post #11 of 34 Old 04-01-2004, 09:30 PM
AVS Special Member

QUOTE]Originally posted by subq
edaly,

So what does the 7200 have over the 630? The software upgradable feature looked very attractive on the 630...I just wasn't sure what I would not be getting if I went with the 630 instead of the 7200.
[/quote]

More power is about it. I bought the 7200 over a Denon 3803 because I determined it to be a better buy. That was based on my opinion that the HK amps were better. The ability to upgrade is nice...if you'll actually do it and if one ever exists. For me, I'll keep it a couple of years and buy the next great deal. Upgradable software...it's kinda like getting new paint or a whole new car...I'll take the new car. I'll probably be able to sell the 7200 on ebay and use that toward a newer model.

Quote:
Originally posted by subq
edaly,

jeff

post #12 of 34 Old 04-01-2004, 10:32 PM

Looks like the price jumped a little at Onecall. Has anyone bought from these guys?

http://www.dealznet.com/avr7200.html

It's not the size of your subwoofer.....ok, yeah it is:)
post #13 of 34 Old 04-01-2004, 10:59 PM

yeah onecall jacked the price today I guess

I may end up with the 630, unless they lower the price again heheh
post #14 of 34 Old 04-02-2004, 12:12 AM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Onecall did that a few weeks ago too. The higher price did not last long. Everyone knwos they sell at the lower price so nobody's going to pay that much. Keep watching JandR Friday sales. It will be there again. I'm just waiting too. First authorized place that's $800 out the door I'm in.
post #15 of 34 Old 04-02-2004, 12:21 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked: 24
Keep waiting too long, and you may find that sooner or later no one will have anymore of them to sell.
Because it is after all, a discontinued model now.
post #16 of 34 Old 04-02-2004, 12:33 AM

It's true the amps are the main reason to buy the 7200 over the 630. But the software upgrade for the 630 isn't total vaporware: HK has stated in response to email inquiries that it is in the works. So if the audio muting problem and the lack of DPLIIx are big issues, those are likely to be resolved with the update.

Even so, I bought the 7200! Muting isn't a big deal to me, and I don't have a 7-channel setup so DPLIIx doesn't help me. I'd rather have the 7200's awesome amps (BTW, running them bi-amp'ed with the surround back channels.. 200W available to each of the mains and ooh it's nice :)).

edaly
post #17 of 34 Old 04-02-2004, 06:21 AM

So I take it "Dealznet" is not authorized? They are under $800 right now.

post #18 of 34 Old 04-02-2004, 06:40 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 45 Post(s)
I'm curious, for those that are intersted in you are intered in the HK line of receivers...specificlly the 630 vs. 7200 issue, what is the big demand for DPLIIx with the 630??? Are you going to be using this fomat instead of the HK's Logic7? If so, why? educate me please.
post #19 of 34 Old 04-02-2004, 10:08 AM

Quote:
I am in need of a receiver upgrade. I had a couple questions. Is OneCall a good price on the 7200 (and reputable vendor)? I am reading that $800 and under is an excellent price.

The question I have is if this unit will do what I need it to. I currently have a very very old Kenwood that doesn't even have component input/outputs.

I now am in need of component input from my DVD, component input from my HD digital cable because my projector only has one component input and the DVI is not HDCP compatible so I can't use the DVI out on my cable box. Does the HK upconvert or downconvert svideo signals to component? or vice versa?

I want to make a good long term investment. The Kenwood served me right for a super long time.
I bought my AVR 8000 from One Call about 2 years ago and everything went as said. The sales person was very good.

I have bought a number of things on the internet and have been very happy with most. I was really surprised though when the sales guy called me back after a month just to check and make sure I was happy with the unit.

Scott Wood
post #20 of 34 Old 04-02-2004, 11:17 AM

yeah I will probably use onecall, but I am waiting for that 7200 to go back down in price and/or I will just pick up the 630 instead
post #21 of 34 Old 04-21-2004, 04:47 PM

Onecall still has this receiver. Is it still the best buy right now for that price?

post #22 of 34 Old 04-21-2004, 05:13 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked: 24
Quote:
Originally posted by Jcam9
Onecall still has this receiver. Is it still the best buy right now for that price?
That all depends, on what you are actually looking for in a receiver.
post #23 of 34 Old 04-21-2004, 05:46 PM

Something that works! I am about ready to toss my Kenwood VR6070 off the roof. I thought I had my problem fixed by switching from optical to coax for sound but my left side is still dead....If I use 2 channel stereo I can hear maybe 10% sound coming from the left side. When watching movies in dolby digital it is silent all but a faint static hiss from the tweeter. I switched speakers and it is not the speaker. I switched speaker wire and it is not that either. Tried all settings I could find with no luck. Must be the receiver.

I guess 7.1 would be cool even though I only have 5.1 setup currently. Music is nice but 90% will be home theater. THX certified is not a requirement. I have an HSU STF-2 sub and Wharefdale Evo speakers. I may pick up a Rotel amp down the road but for now just a good solid powered receiver that plays on ALL CHANNELS would be nice. :):)

Any other ideas to compete with the HK 7200 for under $900?

post #24 of 34 Old 04-21-2004, 06:33 PM
AVS Special Member

I still really like my 7200. If you have Wharfedales, you could pick up a set of http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg...&n=507846these little Wharfes for $100. They could be OK for rear speakers.

jeff

post #25 of 34 Old 04-21-2004, 06:35 PM

I bought the h/k 7200 recently from OneCall (great seller!), and I absolutely love it. Tons of clean power, sounds great with my Infinity speakers, lotsa features. It is an outstanding value!

The Yamaha RX-V2400 is also a very good deal in this general price range.
post #26 of 34 Old 04-21-2004, 07:39 PM

Jeff Hovis, I picked up the Evo 8 bookshelves for surround duty. They are actually pretty good size and sound very good as fronts, however I just had to get the towers and went for the Evo 40's :) Now 2 channel stereo sounds great (when the receiver works).

Dah-Dee, I will check out the Yami. I noticed it's mention before.

Thanks for the input

post #27 of 34 Old 04-22-2004, 09:22 AM

Quote:

Anyone answer this guy's question about the 7200 supporting up-conversion? I've got mostly old periphs (s-video) but I am getting a newer set that has composite. I just wanna make sure that I'm not stuck using s-video out!

Thanks!
post #28 of 34 Old 04-22-2004, 09:40 AM

The answer is no.

I decided to go with a Yamaha, yes I know upconversion does not improve video quality, however, it is nice when you have a projector and you only want to do one cable run.
post #29 of 34 Old 04-22-2004, 10:07 AM

The 7200 does not do any conversion at all on the video signal. The new 7300 receiver does.

bigecd
You mentioned that you are switching from S Video to Composite. Did you mean Component? Generally Composite is just the basic video signal in one cable.

Scott Wood
post #30 of 34 Old 04-22-2004, 03:26 PM
AVS Addicted Member

I would live with a direct S-video cable run for the savings.

HK7200 $799
HK7300 $2300

Tom/guitarman
VideoDementia

Are you twisted also?
http://www.videodementia.com/sales/TomWithWires.jpg
Closed Thread Receivers, Amps, and Processors

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page