Onkyo receivers and "Zone 2"??? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 5 Old 05-09-2004, 09:11 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hi all!!! I understand after looking at specs for these receivers that zone 2 operates in a similar manner to A/B switching. I am looking at the 501 or 601 the latter containing the zone 2 spec. My current setup has two sets of front speakers running off of the same receiver......can someone verify for me the ability to do the same with the 601's Zone 2 function? I understand this operates another set of speakers if you wanted them in another room etc....I believe I read you can have the same source going to both(fronts/zone2) although there are different volume controls for each source.

It has been a long time since I shopped for a receiver. I'm talking about 1997 so I am a little outdated when it comes to receivers but the 601 looks pretty awesome!!! Would love to save the money and go with the 501 for $200.00 but I have a feeling people will tell me the 601 is the one to go with. Thanks in advance, DJ :) :cool:

"You know Andy....I never thought our town would come to this....Mayberry....Gateway to danger.

Barney Fife
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 Old 05-09-2004, 01:39 PM

I have the SR701 which is the slightly bigger brother to the SR601.

There are Zone2 speaker terminals as well as dedicated preouts to a pair of zone 2 speakers. Also with independent volume control.

However, when I tried for the first time recently to use Zone2 it wouldn't output the current music in Zone1 (from my PC via coax digital connection)

After carefully reading the manual, I found out that digital input modes (coaxial,optical) playing in Zone1 won't play in Zone2!!!

Zone2 only plays analog (left,right RCA) input sources!
post #3 of 5 Old 05-09-2004, 02:06 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally posted by tueng
I have the SR701 which is the slightly bigger brother to the SR601.

There are Zone2 speaker terminals as well as dedicated preouts to a pair of zone 2 speakers. Also with independent volume control.

However, when I tried for the first time recently to use Zone2 it wouldn't output the current music in Zone1 (from my PC via coax digital connection)

After carefully reading the manual, I found out that digital input modes (coaxial,optical) playing in Zone1 won't play in Zone2!!!

Zone2 only plays analog (left,right RCA) input sources!

Oh well....guess I will need to continue using my old receiver to power my second set of front speakers. Already purchased my 601 for $255.00 and change!!! Could not pass it up...it is a refurbed unit but who cares. :)

"You know Andy....I never thought our town would come to this....Mayberry....Gateway to danger.

Barney Fife
post #4 of 5 Old 05-09-2004, 05:55 PM

Also note that the current line of Onkyo receivers has been discontinued and the "01" models are being superseded by the "02" models. The 502 is already out and the 602, 702, 802 and 902 are due very shortly. The new top-of-the-line modular 1000 is due in June. Primary enhancement that they all share is Dolby Pro-Logic IIx.

Eric
post #5 of 5 Old 05-10-2004, 08:04 AM
AVS Special Member

Anybody have any idea what the Onkyo 602 specs will be?
Closed Thread Receivers, Amps, and Processors

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page