List of Digital (Class-D) Home Theater Receivers - Page 58 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 
Reply
 
Thread Tools
post #1711 of 1899 Old 08-04-2009, 01:33 AM
AVS Special Member
 
Ryan1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2001
Posts: 1,850
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 36
I hope Panasonic stays in. They make great gear, IMO.

The Pioneers are huge, and to my hearing, ICE is OK, but certainly not "better" than what I get from my current Panny at reasonable volumes. Definitely not worth the bulk, or the price.

The Neo looks interesting on paper, but it's a 6-channel box, which is ... eh.

I really hope Panny stays in, but if nothing comes out at CES, I'll probably pick up a 500 to keep me going for the next few years.

P.S. I think the industry hates the idea of Class D, since they are often inexpensive, and harder to BS about. Anyway, this was fun to read:

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=1161048
Ryan1 is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #1712 of 1899 Old 08-12-2009, 11:39 AM
Newbie
 
Ishman07's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Posts: 1
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Can anyone help? I am new to the AV scene.I have a Panasonic TH46PZ85 TV.I am now looking to add a BD player,AV amp and speakers.I havent decided on the BD player,but am looking at the Denon 1910 for the AV receiver and Teufel Columa 700/900 for the speakers.Any comments would be appreciated.
Ishman07 is offline  
post #1713 of 1899 Old 08-27-2009, 01:51 AM
AVS Special Member
 
Ryan1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2001
Posts: 1,850
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 36
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ishman07 View Post

Can anyone help? I am new to the AV scene.I have a Panasonic TH46PZ85 TV.I am now looking to add a BD player,AV amp and speakers.I havent decided on the BD player,but am looking at the Denon 1910 for the AV receiver and Teufel Columa 700/900 for the speakers.Any comments would be appreciated.

This is the wrong thread for a question relating to the Denon.... look in the main receiver area. Good luck.
Ryan1 is offline  
post #1714 of 1899 Old 09-15-2009, 05:00 PM
Advanced Member
 
mikea28's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2001
Location: Boston, MA
Posts: 605
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
One new one coming soon, the Sherwood R-904N NetBoxx:

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=1170346

Sounds like it's TI-based, although unclear exactly which chipset. Includes HDMI, TrueHD/DTS-HD MA, and most of the bells and whistles expected from a modern receiver. Priced a good bit higher than most of the old Panasonics though.

Might finally have something to replace my Panny SA-XR55...

Westinghouse 42w2 1.00 | TiVo HD 1TB | Sony DVP-NS70H | Panasonic SA-XR55 | Paradigm Monitor 9 & CC-350 v1 | Harmony 676 | Vista MCE HTPC
mikea28 is offline  
post #1715 of 1899 Old 09-22-2009, 07:34 AM
AVS Special Member
 
Ryan1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2001
Posts: 1,850
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 36
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikea28 View Post

One new one coming soon, the Sherwood R-904N NetBoxx:

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=1170346

Sounds like it's TI-based, although unclear exactly which chipset. Includes HDMI, TrueHD/DTS-HD MA, and most of the bells and whistles expected from a modern receiver. Priced a good bit higher than most of the old Panasonics though.

Might finally have something to replace my Panny SA-XR55...

This does sound god. Finally a decent digital amp receiver!

Bummer that it's the only one introduced (so far?)
Ryan1 is offline  
post #1716 of 1899 Old 10-10-2009, 05:52 AM
Senior Member
 
ArtT's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2002
Location: Beautiful South Jersey, USA
Posts: 346
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Well, my trusty Panny SAXR50 sounds great but can no longer handle the variety of hdmi inputs i need (can't handle any, for that matter!) The current 500 models are nowhere to be found, so what are the current digital receiver options that are available now?

Art T
ArtT is offline  
post #1717 of 1899 Old 10-11-2009, 06:14 PM
AVS Special Member
 
Ryan1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2001
Posts: 1,850
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 36
Quote:
Originally Posted by ArtT View Post

Well, my trusty Panny SAXR50 sounds great but can no longer handle the variety of hdmi inputs i need (can't handle any, for that matter!) The current 500 models are nowhere to be found, so what are the current digital receiver options that are available now?

I am currently waiting to jump on the Sherwood R-904N. I like the T amps, it has enough bells and whistles (although, since I run everything through my HTPC, I only need one HDMI It does all the things my SA R57 does, and a few more).

For those without HTPCs, the Netflix, Hulu, etc. net features, should be well worth the extra $$. IMO, it's the first notable receiver to come out in a few years.
Ryan1 is offline  
post #1718 of 1899 Old 11-03-2009, 07:54 PM
Senior Member
 
ArtT's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2002
Location: Beautiful South Jersey, USA
Posts: 346
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Anyone in Europe (or elsewhere) see this new contender?
http://www.p4c.philips.com/files/a/a...12_pss_aen.pdf
http://www.testberichte.de/p/philips...stbericht.html
Philips avr9900. Any idea if this will come stateside, and what street prices are/will be?

Art T
ArtT is offline  
post #1719 of 1899 Old 11-07-2009, 02:26 PM
Advanced Member
 
mikea28's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2001
Location: Boston, MA
Posts: 605
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by ArtT View Post

Anyone in Europe (or elsewhere) see this new contender?
http://www.p4c.philips.com/files/a/a...12_pss_aen.pdf
http://www.testberichte.de/p/philips...stbericht.html
Philips avr9900. Any idea if this will come stateside, and what street prices are/will be?

Spec sheet says Class A/B amplifier, so not really a digital amp section.

I like the design though.

Westinghouse 42w2 1.00 | TiVo HD 1TB | Sony DVP-NS70H | Panasonic SA-XR55 | Paradigm Monitor 9 & CC-350 v1 | Harmony 676 | Vista MCE HTPC
mikea28 is offline  
post #1720 of 1899 Old 11-09-2009, 06:54 PM
Senior Member
 
ArtT's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2002
Location: Beautiful South Jersey, USA
Posts: 346
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Arrrgh! I missed that....I saw the "Pure path signal processing" and missed the other so incorrectly assumed TI's Purepath. I'm feeling 4 months late to the bx-500 party, but unfortunately wasn't in the market for a receiver then. Now there are none of these types.

Art T
ArtT is offline  
post #1721 of 1899 Old 11-19-2009, 07:47 AM
Newbie
 
minilabs2009's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Miramar FL
Posts: 7
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grayson73 View Post

Let's compile a list of digital home theater receivers.

5.1:
Motorola Home Theater System DCP501
JVC RX-ES1SL
Panasonic SA-XR10 (discontinued)

6.1:
JVC RX-F10
Kenwood VRS-7100
Kenwood VRS-N8100
Panasonic SA-XR25
Panasonic SA-XR45 (discontinued)
Panasonic SA-XR50
Panasonic SA-XR70
Pioneer VSX50 (part of combo)
Sherwood Newcastle R-903
LG AR702 300 EUR

7.1 AV Receivers

Harman Kardon DPR 1001
Harman Kardon DPR 1005
Harman Kardon DPR 2005
JVC D301/D302
JVC D401/D402
JVC D701/D702 (Hybrid)
JVC RX-D411 500 - 600 EUR
Panasonic SA-XR55
Panasonic SA-XR57 (TI PurePath)
Panasonic SA-XR700
Panasonic SA-XR58 400 EUR
Panasonic SA-XR59 450 EUR
Samsung AV-R720 300 EUR
Sony STR-DA7001ES
Sony STR-DA9001ES
Sony STR-DA2000ES
Sony STR-DA3000ES
Sony STR-DA5000ES
Sony STR-DA9000ES

5.1 DVD-Receivers
Naim n-Vi (Tripath)

2.1 DVD-Receivers
Marantz Opsodis ES-150 (D2Audio)

10 channel:
Pioneer SC-09TX

Help me update this list!

Where are the Blu Ray receivers.
minilabs2009 is offline  
post #1722 of 1899 Old 01-21-2010, 07:27 PM
Senior Member
 
Rhoniel Kase's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Posts: 339
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hi All,
I am considering a used Panasonic receiver with digital amps. But before jumping in, I want to get an opinion on what's new out there.

So are there any receivers with digital amps released in 2009 which can handle 1080p video through HDMI?
Thanks
Rhoniel Kase is offline  
post #1723 of 1899 Old 01-21-2010, 09:27 PM
Advanced Member
 
DasRaven's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Mesa, AZ
Posts: 516
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rhoniel Kase View Post

So are there any receivers with digital amps released in 2009 which can handle 1080p video through HDMI?
Thanks

From 2009, not much at all besides the Sherwood R904. Most of the entries stopped late in 2008 with the Panasonic BX500 and a number of $$$$ IcePower receivers from Pioneer/Rotel/etc. Beyond that, your best hope is an HTiB, they usually use digital amp sections, but not really good ones.

Built a new home, now filling it with sights and sounds!
DasRaven is offline  
post #1724 of 1899 Old 02-03-2010, 06:50 PM
AVS Special Member
 
Namlemez's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2000
Location: Northern Virginia
Posts: 3,347
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 12
I've been thinking of one as well and was a little saddened by the lack of new devices besides the Sherwood (which seems priced kind of high). Now I'm thinking combining this:

http://www.monoprice.com/products/pr...seq=1&format=2

with one of the older ones might be an interesting way to work around the HDMI limitation.
Namlemez is offline  
post #1725 of 1899 Old 02-06-2010, 12:02 AM
Member
 
sanjath's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Posts: 29
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Everyone here seems to be raving about Panasonic digital receivers. I own one and quite happy so far. Granted I am not a audiophile, but it is pretty good for casual user like me, but sad part is that Panasonic seems to be discontinuing the models and my other friends with limited knowledge also seem to look down upon digital receivers. If not for anything else it's form factor should appeal to casual users, but somehow not! I really pray that Panasonic comes up with a model that just has more HDMI inputs (and upconversion) on their existing models.
sanjath is offline  
post #1726 of 1899 Old 02-19-2010, 05:44 PM
Newbie
 
saltydad's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Silver Spring, MD
Posts: 8
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I have heard rumors that Pioneer will be dropping the Elite AVRs. Anyone else know anything? Pioneer says this isn't so, but that could be PR.

MEN IN NURSING- A Few Good Men
saltydad is offline  
post #1727 of 1899 Old 02-27-2010, 12:52 AM
AVS Special Member
 
Ryan1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2001
Posts: 1,850
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 36
Quote:
Originally Posted by sanjath View Post

... I really pray that Panasonic comes up with a model that just has more HDMI inputs (and upconversion) on their existing models.

Funny, I don't even care about more HDMI, since I run everything through my HTPC, which I plug into my Panasonic SA-XR57, which then goes via HDMI to my 60" Kuro plasma.

I have been waiting for a Class D receiver with a good Room EQ, but nothing great has come along with the right form factor.

So, a year ago, I bought a Velodyne DD-10 sub to go with my Gallo Solos for my stereo room. The DD-10 does Room EQ and it has worked great. It replaced a Sunfire True Sub (no EQ) and it really cleaned up the bass.

Now, since I've given up on a great slim Class D receiver with a great Room EQ, I just bought a Velodyne Optimum 10, which also has Room EQ, for my TV room. It's replacing another Sunfire True Sub.

I think I am set for a while.

I really, really love the sound the SA-XR57 makes - it was the only receiver which came close in tonality to my previous Class A Pass Aleph heater (with my speakers, and to my ear, of course). It sounds noticeably better than the NAD, Denon and HK I've had.

It just sucks that nobody has come up with a good slim Class D lately, with all the latest bells and whistles. The Pioneer SCs are just too huge and kind of so last century

The Sherwood R-904N is certainly interesting, but it's just not a great fit for me, plus it needs a more advanced Room EQ.

P.S. Wow! Between the new Velodyne Optimum 10's automatic EQ, and Windows 7's built-in Room EQ, I have achieved everything I was looking for in a new receiver, and get to keep my SA-XR57! Room EQ does make a difference and here is what I did.
Ryan1 is offline  
post #1728 of 1899 Old 03-15-2010, 11:35 PM
Advanced Member
 
DasRaven's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Mesa, AZ
Posts: 516
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Any interest in a well cared for XR700? PM me.

Built a new home, now filling it with sights and sounds!
DasRaven is offline  
post #1729 of 1899 Old 03-19-2010, 01:15 PM
Senior Member
 
dcgilbert's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Location: Near Colfax, La.
Posts: 344
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Please tell us what is going to replace the XR700?
dcgilbert is offline  
post #1730 of 1899 Old 03-19-2010, 01:41 PM
AVS Special Member
 
DigitalGriffin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: PA USA
Posts: 1,417
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Not to be a stick in the mud,

But can we declare the Digital Amp revolution over?

So what do you think killed it?

Speaker design is rather an art. There is no such thing as the perfect painting. Likewise there is no such thing as a perfect speaker. It's part science and part personal preference.
DigitalGriffin is offline  
post #1731 of 1899 Old 03-19-2010, 08:21 PM
Advanced Member
 
DasRaven's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Mesa, AZ
Posts: 516
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by DigitalGriffin View Post

Not to be a stick in the mud,

But can we declare the Digital Amp revolution over?

So what do you think killed it?

Nope, the digital amp revolution is really just starting thanks to IcePower.

Built a new home, now filling it with sights and sounds!
DasRaven is offline  
post #1732 of 1899 Old 03-19-2010, 08:25 PM
Advanced Member
 
DasRaven's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Mesa, AZ
Posts: 516
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by dcgilbert View Post

Please tell us what is going to replace the XR700?

I got a great deal on a Denon 1910 for LESS than I currently have offers on for the XR700. I got to the point where I needed more HDMI and wanted the Audyssey and ABT VRS technology there. The 1910/790 was the only amp that had that and bench tested around the same power as the Panasonic digitals (~75w/7 channel ACD).

I replaced my speakers and sub this year, this completes my upgrades until something really revolutionary comes along. Thus my new signature.

Built a new home, now filling it with sights and sounds!
DasRaven is offline  
post #1733 of 1899 Old 03-20-2010, 01:16 AM
Newbie
 
freshmint's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Posts: 5
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
which one to get? 5.1
freshmint is offline  
post #1734 of 1899 Old 03-22-2010, 12:31 AM
AVS Special Member
 
Ryan1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2001
Posts: 1,850
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 36
Quote:
Originally Posted by DigitalGriffin View Post

...

But can we declare the Digital Amp revolution over?

So what do you think killed it?

A lot of vested interest in selling (and reviewing) $2k+ amps where quality equals weight.

Most of the industry is not interested in undercutting their profitable big box business with digital, which is going to make them more difficult to differentiate, and much more difficult to convince the public to pay large amounts of cash for.

Most of the trade publications and reviewers are also not interested in digital, which they see as further commoditization of AV equipment, which would diminish both their authority, and their ad revenue.

So, it was left to the couple of brands without major presence in the higher end to bring out the likes of XR-57 or XR700.

But of course, Joe Average reads a review here and there, then goes to Magnolia and comes out with a 45lbs box, because he was told that it is much better than the slim, light Panny or JVC. Much better to show off a big Denon to his beer friends and show them a glowing review in some trade pub.

So, this is why there are no more digital receivers, IMO. And why the likes of Denon will fight digital as long as they can.

ICE is different, because it came from B&O (fantastic design and marginal performance, in my experience) and has the pedigree demanded by "discerning" audiophiles, and because it costs enough to justify the good reviews and heftier profit margins.

But to my ears, the XR-57 sounds just as good, and there is no particular technical reason why it shouldn't.
Ryan1 is offline  
post #1735 of 1899 Old 03-22-2010, 10:10 AM
Senior Member
 
dcgilbert's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Location: Near Colfax, La.
Posts: 344
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryan1 View Post

A lot of vested interest in selling (and reviewing) $2k+ amps where quality equals weight.

Most of the industry is not interested in undercutting their profitable big box business with digital, which is going to make them more difficult to differentiate, and much more difficult to convince the public to pay large amounts of cash for.

Most of the trade publications and reviewers are also not interested in digital, which they see as further commoditization of AV equipment, which would diminish both their authority, and their ad revenue.

So, it was left to the couple of brands without major presence in the higher end to bring out the likes of XR-57 or XR700.

But of course, Joe Average reads a review here and there, then goes to Magnolia and comes out with a 45lbs box, because he was told that it is much better than the slim, light Panny or JVC. Much better to show off a big Denon to his beer friends and show them a glowing review in some trade pub.

So, this is why there are no more digital receivers, IMO. And why the likes of Denon will fight digital as long as they can.

ICE is different, because it came from B&O (fantastic design and marginal performance, in my experience) and has the pedigree demanded by "discerning" audiophiles, and because it costs enough to justify the good reviews and heftier profit margins.

But to my ears, the XR-57 sounds just as good, and there is no particular technical reason why it shouldn't.

This is a very cynical view of the Audio biz. Accurate, but cynical. I share your view. Even the part about the XR-57. By the way you have B&O nailed.
dcgilbert is offline  
post #1736 of 1899 Old 03-29-2010, 04:24 AM
Senior Member
 
JSchulte's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2003
Location: New Hampshire
Posts: 418
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Is there anything new coming out anytime soon in terms of digital amps or receivers at a lower end that digital ice?
JSchulte is offline  
post #1737 of 1899 Old 04-01-2010, 09:46 AM
Senior Member
 
dmikester1's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2001
Location: Eau Claire, WI
Posts: 276
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 10
2 questions:

1. Why hasn't the first post been updated in over 2 years? What is the point of keeping this stickied if that is not getting updated?

2. Why is pricing discussion not allowed here when it is allowed in the Blu-ray forum (in a specific thread)?

Thanks!
Mike
dmikester1 is offline  
post #1738 of 1899 Old 04-02-2010, 10:12 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member
 
Grayson73's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Potomac, MD
Posts: 1,099
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Avsforum should make the second message of each thread a wiki so that anyone can update it.
Grayson73 is offline  
post #1739 of 1899 Old 04-06-2010, 12:52 PM
Senior Member
 
jenielsen's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Posts: 235
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by grayson73 View Post

avsforum should make the second message of each thread a wiki so that anyone can update it.

+1
jenielsen is offline  
post #1740 of 1899 Old 04-12-2010, 09:14 AM
Member
 
spec1alk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Posts: 116
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by dmikester1 View Post

2 questions:

1. Why hasn't the first post been updated in over 2 years? What is the point of keeping this stickied if that is not getting updated?

2. Why is pricing discussion not allowed here when it is allowed in the Blu-ray forum (in a specific thread)?

Thanks!
Mike

I agree on both points. This thread does not deserve a sticky if the first post is not updated. I think at the time (in 2004) it likely made sense to have a list of "digital" HT receivers since there were only a few dozen. Now, it seems like this list would be several hundred, if not thousands, of items strong.

On the 2nd point, I just PM'd Alan asking if we could have a similar thread to the blu-ray specials one. Will see what he comes back with.
spec1alk is offline  
Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

User Tag List

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off