New amp is making me grin from ear to ear =) - Page 25 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #721 of 4988 Old 08-03-2004, 07:18 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
On Monday I sent them an email and they said they would send the UPS tracking number. They still have not sent me the number. If I do not get an email in the morning. I will email ithem again on Wednesday afternoon. With this amp I will connect it to my left and right Atlantic Technology 350 speakers. If the sound is as impressive as I expect I will order another one for the center channel.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #722 of 4988 Old 08-03-2004, 07:30 PM
Advanced Member

OK, I'm seriously tempted... I am considering a Crown 402 for my front speakers in a 5.1 configuration. I have an HK AVR-525 with Acoustic Research AR-328PS fronts. The speakers are rated at 20-200 watts with 91db sensitivity.

I know they're not high end speakers, but they sound really good to me. Is it likely that I'll see a difference since they're not all that hard to drive? I do enjoy cranking the tunes from time to time. And in theory, it would make it easier for my receiver to drive the other channels.

Someone help push me off the fence.
post #723 of 4988 Old 08-03-2004, 07:42 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Get off the fence!!!!!!The price is so cheap you have nothing to lose.And It's all about having alot of power in reserve! If they're 8ohms you'll be sending them 260 watts(its's fine) of CLEAN power!!!!! They will be singing big time!

brickie

AM I THE ONLY OASIS IN THE DESERT OF STUPIDITY......" SIR BRICKENBOCKER"
post #724 of 4988 Old 08-03-2004, 08:03 PM

Liked: 11
Quote:

Originally posted by MickB
Hi Brickie,

The Item number: 3738331908. I paid right away with paypal. I am anxious to hear this amp with my Denon 3805 and I am a little worried. Since the xlr cables came in one day from NYC via UPS.
Thanks,
Mick

MikB, not to worry, i bought all three XLS402A from them, they do take a little time, but they will ship.
I also bought my Pioneer 2012K from them some time ago, never had a problem.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #725 of 4988 Old 08-04-2004, 05:00 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:

Originally posted by flyersfan
OK, I'm seriously tempted... I am considering a Crown 402 for my front speakers in a 5.1 configuration. I have an HK AVR-525 with Acoustic Research AR-328PS fronts. The speakers are rated at 20-200 watts with 91db sensitivity.

I know they're not high end speakers, but they sound really good to me. Is it likely that I'll see a difference since they're not all that hard to drive? I do enjoy cranking the tunes from time to time. And in theory, it would make it easier for my receiver to drive the other channels.

Someone help push me off the fence.

flyersfan, I have Axioms up front. 200 watt rating and 93dB sensitivity. With the Denon 3805 powering them they sounded ok. When I drove them with the 260 wpc Crown 402, there was a noticable difference that even my wife commented on.
post #726 of 4988 Old 08-04-2004, 10:27 AM

I have some Energy C-3 bookshelf speakers also a center and some little rears, and a sub running off of a 6.1 Yamaha (100x6) receiver HTR-5590

Do you guys/gals recommend me buying one of these amps.. what is the best way to go?

would it be good for future use as well, I may go to some Energy Veritas speakers in the future..

Please make some recommendations.. I'm not sure what this Crown 402 amp is and all.. what about other brands.. I don't care about cosmetics just sound quality.

I can buy Parasound HCA-1000 Hi-Current Power Amplifier for about the same price.. what are tehh differences?
post #727 of 4988 Old 08-04-2004, 12:29 PM
SRR
AVS Special Member

The Parasound HCA-1000 is only 100watts per channel, the 402 more then doubles that. Either would probably be better then whats in your receiver but if you want to make sure you notice a difference I would go for the Crown. If you read this whole thread you will get comments like: a vail was lifted off my speakers, the dynamics are increased, there is headroom to spare etc. That is what a Crown can do for you. And like whats been done and said before in this thread, buy one from Ebay, you like it, keep it. If you don't like it turn around and resell it on Ebay for not to much of a loss. My bet is you will keep it, and buy some more for your remaning channels. Good luck with whatever you do.
post #728 of 4988 Old 08-04-2004, 12:40 PM

Thank you, that is very helpful!
post #729 of 4988 Old 08-04-2004, 05:14 PM

I bought two from who I believe is the same guy about three weeks ago. Even though the auction said he had two available, and I paid immediately after the auction...he said his distributor was out and it took two weeks to receive them. In the end it was worth it and now I have three 402s! Hope it works out for you and keep us posted.
post #730 of 4988 Old 08-04-2004, 06:32 PM
AVS Special Member

Due to us he's probably been overwhelmed by these amp purchases..

brickie

post #731 of 4988 Old 08-04-2004, 07:16 PM
Advanced Member

Ahhh, the joys of Pro Audio....

Well, guess what everyone, thanks to this thread I am about to save even more money. I'm not sure if everyone here saw my post about pro amp prices enabling my to afford 2 seperate setups instead of just one, but I have an addition to make.

I was talking to one of my co-workers about upgrading my existing setup (we're both home theater nuts) and how I'd found out about the savings you can get from Pro-Audio amps. He asked "why stop with the amps"? In addition to his love of home theater, he also does DJ'ing and mixing for amateur bands, and as such has accumulated a bit of a mini-studio in his basement. He said, instead of buying the Magnepan MMG-W's, the Hsu Subwoofer, and the Crown amp for the second setup (the "Music Room"), he suggested get a pair of large, active studio monitors.

In fact, this will work out best for me, because my "Music Room" is much smaller than my theater room, and also doubles as my PC gaming room. This room would have presented setup challenges for the Magnepan's and Hsu, but since the Studio Speakers are designed for near-field listening, extend down to 40 hz with only a -2db roll-off, and are powered, they will integrate perfectly. And if I had any doubts they would be as accurate as Magnepan's, these doubts were erased when I heard his setup using 2 Mackie's - extremely accurate and no subwoofer needed for the size of the room. He even pointed out a few really good "studio" sound-cards I can use in the PC that shares the room, which have the same quality DAC's as very expensive pre-pro's. So the gaming PC can also be my CD jukebox!

So my (hopefully) final setup should look like this:
3x Crown XLS-402A amps powering my 5.1 speakers + in-sofa sonic transducer setup in the theater room.
1 pair Mackie Pro-Audio speakers in my music room.
1 studio sound card (2-channel) outputting music from my PC to the Mackie's.

All in all, this Pro-Audio stuff just keeps getting better and better for me! Thanks again for the great thread!

(Side note to Tubeguy or anyone else with experience: I've been asking around in the HTPC forum for help choosing a good 2-channel studio soundcard w/ balanced outputs - i.e. 1/4" TRS phono. So far the responses have been very limited, so I was wondering if anyone on this forum has experience with this type of equipment?)
post #732 of 4988 Old 08-04-2004, 08:19 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally posted by CaptainKellog
...he suggested get a pair of large, active studio monitors.

Well if you go to Guitar Center and are good at dealing you may be able to get a good deal on unpowered studio monitors. Maybe the powered ones also. The Mackie HR824 are supposed to be pretty darn accurate, they use laser analysis to map the dome displacement and are supposed to provide a frequency response print for each pair of these speakers.

I've used the KRK V8's and those really are nice.
post #733 of 4988 Old 08-04-2004, 09:49 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 18
...he suggested get a pair of large, active studio monitors.

Home audio, pro audio, diy audio, all just speakers in a box

... it just seems that maximum rapage occurs in home audio........

Whatever you do, always listen to the speakers before purchase.

The storm was gone, but dark clouds still hung around
The perfect setting for things to come......

post #734 of 4988 Old 08-04-2004, 10:55 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Whatever you do, always listen to the speakers before purchase.

Absolutely - It would be very rare for me to purchase sight-unseen. That's probably what's held me back from buying internet speakers, even though I know most of them probably sound very good and almost all have a liberal return policy (or else why would they sell so many? ), but audio is so subjective that I really feel the need to hear it first. I'll even bring my 2 Mission M74 fronts when I go listen to the Crown amps at my local pro-sound dealer.
post #735 of 4988 Old 08-05-2004, 04:37 AM
AVS Special Member

jmicheal - I sent them an email yesterday morning and they have not responded to it. I paid for it one week ago today with paypal. I hope, I do not have to wait 2 weeks for it. I will have the house to myself, for one week, starting tomorrow and wanted to crank the movies and music.
post #736 of 4988 Old 08-08-2004, 06:59 PM

Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked: 17
I was told by my pro dealership that the Crown is now available as an XLS-402B version. Does anyone know what has been changed?
post #737 of 4988 Old 08-08-2004, 07:46 PM
AVS Special Member

Interesting..I'm curious about this one as well..

brickie

post #738 of 4988 Old 08-08-2004, 08:13 PM
SRR
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I was told by my pro dealership that the Crown is now available as an XLS-402B version. Does anyone know what has been changed?

Here is my take on it, there was the orginal 402 that was a 3 unit rack space high chasis. Then there was the "402a" that is a 2 unit high chasis with one 4 pole speakon output. Then my assertion would be is the 402b a 2 unit high chasis that has the two 2 pole speakon outputs???? I could be worng...
post #739 of 4988 Old 08-08-2004, 08:15 PM
AVS Special Member

I don't know..My first 402 was listed as an "A" model although it had 2 speakon outputs.

brickie

post #740 of 4988 Old 08-08-2004, 08:30 PM
SRR
AVS Special Member

Interesting...must be something else that is new for the 402b then.
post #741 of 4988 Old 08-08-2004, 09:19 PM
Advanced Member

Strange - I've seen a few sites showing the 402B, but the specs read exactly the same as the 402A. Maybe just a lazy webmaster using copy->paste?
post #742 of 4988 Old 08-09-2004, 08:17 AM

Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Guys
Just called Crown and SRR is correct. The B version does have 2 speakon outputs. Why Brickie's had 2 for an A model is strange unless he got one amp right when the change was occuring and someone forgot to add the B designation.

Captain Kellog
Do you have the XLS402, and have you found a good local price in our city?

tyee
post #743 of 4988 Old 08-09-2004, 09:01 AM
Advanced Member

Tyee - check at Long & McQuade or Tom Lee Music. There are a bunch of other pro audio shops but those 2 are the only one's I've been to. Long & McQuade seemed to have better prices but I'm sure Tom Lee would be willing to match.

As to the first question - I do not have the Crown Amp yet, I was going to purchase 3 of these for my Theater room, and a pair of Behringer Truth studio speakers for my PC room. I've got enough for the amps right now, and am just building up funds for the Behringer speakers as I can probably get a better deal if I buy everything at once. I'll let you know once I've got everything.
post #744 of 4988 Old 08-09-2004, 11:30 AM
AVS Special Member

My amp came in today. It took 1 week for them to ship it out. I just hooked up the left and right outs to my 3805 and started the auto eq. I have the level controls on the crown set half way, because beyond that I get a buzz in the speakers. The signal sent out from the auto eq feature is very low in the left and right speakers, but, it is normal (loud) through the center channel. Can anyone tell me what I am doing wrong?
Thanks,
Mick
post #745 of 4988 Old 08-09-2004, 12:39 PM
Advanced Member

MickB, you need to try a cheater plug - one of those grey adapters that you plug the amp power plug into and it uses only 2 prongs to plug into the outlet. Then you can crank the volume wide open on both channels, which is really not a lot louder than half way. By cranking the volume wide open you should get the same volume level as the center.

I used the cheater plug on both amps and the hum went away for good. I think brickie used them too.
post #746 of 4988 Old 08-09-2004, 01:29 PM
AVS Special Member

I plugged in the cheater plug and turned on the crown an denon and something fried in the Denon. I will have to send the Denon in for service and I think I will pass on the crown.
post #747 of 4988 Old 08-09-2004, 01:30 PM

oh dam,, I was just about to order a Crown.. What is going on??
post #748 of 4988 Old 08-09-2004, 01:47 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 348 Post(s)
Liked: 403
Quote:

Originally posted by MickB
I plugged in the cheater plug and turned on the crown an denon and something fried in the Denon. I will have to send the Denon in for service and I think I will pass on the crown.

How was it hooked up? That is a danger of using a cheater plug, they should only be used to track down the source of a ground loop/hum noise. When using the cheater plug you remove the earth ground path for the device connected to it in case of an internal fault. The device will then find the earth ground through a connection to another device(signal cable to the recvr) and that sounds like what happened to you. Did you try to reset Denon? If you smell burnt electronics I doubt that would help though..

Good Luck

Jim
post #749 of 4988 Old 08-09-2004, 02:12 PM
AVS Special Member

There was a smell. The Denon is off to UPS tomorrow to be fixed by Denon in IL.
post #750 of 4988 Old 08-09-2004, 02:30 PM
AVS Special Member

I have an outboard 3 channel amp (Odyssey HT3) connected to my 3805, and when I first connected it there was a slight hum coming out of the three front speakers. It was audible from perhaps 3 feet away, and it made no difference if the volume on the Denon was turned up or down. I then (after checking with Klaus at Odyssey) added a cheater plug to the end of the amp's power cord, which made the hum almost disappear. I now have to have my ear within an inch or two of the speakers to hear it, and even then it is very faint. So the cheater plug worked for me, and according to the manufacturer, this will cause no long term problems and is the best solution without going through a lot of trouble and expense.

Just wanted to chime in to say that the there is nothing inherent about the Denon that will cause it to fail when connected to an amp and cheater plug. Question - did you unplug the Denon and turn its volume all the way down before inserting the cheater plug and turning the amp on? I would try the reset as suggested above and try it again, taking these precautions.
Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

Tags
Crown , Qsc , Polk Audio

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page