Advertisement

post #272 of 634 Old 02-22-2005, 11:34 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Re: network problems.

audit4u,
Before I can help you...do you have WEP security enabled on your system? Plus, you need to turn off your firewall if you're using XP with SP2. By the way, wireless networking did not work well for me. The video would play for 5 to 10 minutes and would stop and I am kicked out of the network. This is with 802.11G, too! I'd suggest connecting directly to one of your wireless router's ports with a straight through cat-5 cable. I am running fine with a crossover cable connected directly to my second computer's ethernet port. But running a cable to the router should work as well. My router's too far away!!! Sorry for the essay response.
post #273 of 634 Old 02-23-2005, 05:14 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally posted by audit4u

So far, so good. When mt 8100 tries to acquire a network connection (it tries for about 30 seconds) I receive an unable to connect message on my TV screen. I've tried to manually set the IP address to the IP address displayed for the 8100 on my Belkin setup page, and I also tried to a different number, and I also tried "Auto" mode, but the 8100 still can't see the network.

I called too late into tech support this afternoon and only got through to Level 2 support, and they are stumped. Any thoughts on how to resolve my problem? (Am I reading the manual correctly that I need to use a crossover CAT5 connection? I'm using the same CAT5 connectors that I use for my TiVo, XBox, PC to router, router to cable modem, etc. which I assume are not crossover cables. So could that be my problem?)

Thanks

I had an issue simlar to yours, and it turned out my Trend Internet Security firewall was blocking access from the receiver. I allowed kwdservice.exe in the firewall software and bingo. It worked. Also, windows xp firewall could do the same thing.
good luck.
post #274 of 634 Old 02-23-2005, 10:26 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 14
I just want to add since we are talking about network stuff...

I'm having a tough time with the network in my setup. I think it has to do with the IP range my network runs in. I'm in the 192.168.0.xxx range and the only way to get the system to work well is manual IP or setting a subnet mask of 255.255.254.0 in the the manual settings.

Am I the only user who's running in the 192.168.0 IP range with problems?

When you switch to the auto configuration the screen echoes you settings as:
IP --- --- --- ---
Subnet --- --- --- ---
In fact it never shows the current settings, it should....

I'd also like to ask for a "release/renew" IP address option since you are using DHCP this seems like a option that needs to be there.
post #275 of 634 Old 02-23-2005, 11:19 AM - Thread Starter

Not sure,
I'm running in the 192.168.100 range and it's been fine.
post #276 of 634 Old 02-23-2005, 01:33 PM

Hello divxswap,

Thanks for finding out the solution to import vobs. Were you able to see the vob movie ? I am still having trouble with mpeg movies and home videos to show up. Also divx hd does not work. I will try out the vob today.
post #277 of 634 Old 02-23-2005, 02:01 PM

Hello There

I was able to purchase my n8100 from frys (demo one with no remote and no speaker cord connectors) for $155 (got 30 %) discount. I thought it was a good deal, but I am stuck without the right remote and the speaker connectors.

Any suggestion on where I could find the speaker connectors ? I have tried the electronic parts shop in Houston, Microcenter and best buy. None of them sell the connectors. I called a Kenwood authorised repair center and they quoted $14 for four and $20 for the remote.

Also, I was able to convince the frys salesguy to give me another Kenwood remote (R0822) which does not have the Net Server input key. Does any one know if I could reprogram the VIDEO 3 input on this remote to point to the Net Server input for n8100 ? The Kenwood folks thought it couldnt be done. I am guessing if we could simply set the replacement code for the missing input key ?

Thanks
post #278 of 634 Old 02-23-2005, 02:42 PM

For those of u who have windows XP with SP2, you don't need to turn off your windows firewall. You will just need to add the Kenwood server software to the exceptions list.

Go Start > Control Panel > Firewall > Exceptions > Browse to the kenwood server file (.exe) location under C:/Program Files/Kenwood and add it.

That should do it without having to turn off the firewall.
post #279 of 634 Old 02-23-2005, 02:44 PM

I bought the last one in So. Cal. last night without the remote, manual, connectors etc. Kenwood emailed me the manual in pdf format today. For all of you that didn't get the manual or those of you just wanting to read up on it before your purchase, pm me and I'll email you the pdf. I'm at work right now and was informed by my son that mom didn't pay the cable bill on time and our internet is down. I'll respond to pm's when I get time at work until our internet is back up.
post #280 of 634 Old 02-23-2005, 09:39 PM

Hello, I set the video out to 1080i in the network setup. When I play DVDs connected to receiver, picture on my Mistubishi (HDTV ready 16X9) looks great. But when I play any videos and/or photos using network feature, the display is choppy and picture cuts in and out. If I can the video out to 480p, then everything is fine. Unfortunately in this mode, photos gets stretched.

Anybody has similear issues?

thanks
post #281 of 634 Old 02-24-2005, 09:44 AM

I tried the solution recommend by divxswap. I noticed a parameter in the param file that had the Internet Explorer location. Anyone knows how this is used ?

Also, once you close the kenwood server ui, the settings are overwritten and one has to go and add the "vob" to the param file again.

I was only able to see display one of the vob file from a set of vobs. I dont what the problem could be. The file sizes were below 2 GB.

Kenwood Techs seem to be not too familiar with n8100 problems. One tech named "Richard" promised to call me in 15 minutes and have not heard from him in two days. I spoke to another tech yesterday and he recommended to return the box to the store if I had problems.

I am not getting a good feeling on this so far and hope to get some better answers from the Kenwood Techs.
post #282 of 634 Old 02-24-2005, 11:32 AM - Thread Starter

That's strange. I had nothing but good experience with Kenwood level 2 support. They called me back and they were really making an effort to help me. This was also when the product had been released one week prior. They were well trained given the timeframe.
post #283 of 634 Old 02-24-2005, 11:45 AM

tgaut:
I talked with pacific coast parts for the surround speaker connectors and they don't have any matching part number for E58-0062-05. When I asked for parts they have for the 8100, they said the remote, antenna and the power chord. Did you get the connectors from pac parts?
post #284 of 634 Old 02-24-2005, 12:42 PM

I called them to check. They are having to get info from Kenwood before they can sell them. They said it might be a day or two. Sorry for the bad info. I thought they had them currently, but they should have them soon.
post #285 of 634 Old 02-24-2005, 02:38 PM

tgaut:

Do you know if there is any sort of logging on the computer specially when a selected video fails to show up on the tv ? Is there a plan to allow watch a dvd from a dvd drive that may be located on the server computer or on a hard drive of the computer ?

geegbass:
the speaker connectors were $14 for 4 when I called the local authorized service center in Houston, TX plus shipping handling.
post #286 of 634 Old 02-24-2005, 10:15 PM

[quote]Originally posted by sammyGun2004
[b]tgaut:

Do you know if there is any sort of logging on the computer specially when a selected video fails to show up on the tv ? Is there a plan to allow watch a dvd from a dvd drive that may be located on the server computer or on a hard drive of the computer ?

The whole intent of the 8100 is to stream content from your hard drive. You cannot stream a DVD from a DVD drive on your computer. I'm not clear on the first part of your question. Can you elaborate?
post #287 of 634 Old 02-25-2005, 07:44 AM

tgaut:

Thanks for your response. I wanted to know if the kenwood server running on the pc keep a log of the requests made by the client (receiver). Out of a set of VOBs ( changed the fmt="mpg" in the param file) only one of them was streamed properly. I wanted to know why it failed to stream the other VOBs. I know they were less than 1 GB in size.

So my question was to see if the receiver or the server keep any information on the PC when it fails to stream a media ? Is the Server code open source ? Could we enhance the code (since I am a java programmer...) to do more...
post #288 of 634 Old 02-25-2005, 08:30 AM
Advanced Member

I don't have the Kenwood, but you may want to try some 3rd party servers such as the Momitsu's or I-O Data's LinkPlayer2's. There's also an open source server, being discussed here

Also, for playback from the server's DVD drive, try creating a shortcut to the drive's VIDEO_TS folder and putting it in whatever directory the server scans for files.

E
post #289 of 634 Old 02-25-2005, 12:23 PM

Thanks for your response. I checkout out the link and was interesting to know how someone has modified the server to combine all the vob's to send them as a group. Thats what I was expecting to see on kenwood pc server software. So far I have not see any positive postings on third party software for kenwood n8100 ??
post #290 of 634 Old 02-25-2005, 02:52 PM

Talked again to to second level tec at Kenwood. He said havent heard any problems with mpeg2 with this unit. I told him to check the avsforum to see some of the postings. He gave me the number to the local authorized service center and again recommended to return it or exchange the box.
post #291 of 634 Old 02-25-2005, 10:05 PM

Just ordered my remote and speaker connectors today.
E69001305 connectors 18.00
A70165005 remote 32.00

Got my demo for 169.00.
230.00 total plus tax and down loaded the manual and software from Kenwood for free. Not as good as 199.00 but still a good deal
post #292 of 634 Old 02-26-2005, 12:17 AM

Quote:

Originally posted by sammyGun2004
Hello divxswap,

Thanks for finding out the solution to import vobs. Were you able to see the vob movie ? I am still having trouble with mpeg movies and home videos to show up. Also divx hd does not work. I will try out the vob today.

Initially it did not work but once I changed the VOB to mpg in the db file it worked perfectly.

Also all my VOBs are un-encryted so make sure they are un-encrypted using dvdshrink or some such program.

Another strange thing, some of my VOBs were not working initially and then I edited the title in the Java client and presto they worked.

I have not tried divx or straight mpg files.

Please post your experiences as well.

Divx
post #293 of 634 Old 02-26-2005, 06:42 AM
AVS Special Member

can someone post a screen shot of the interface?

rather be lucky than good.
post #294 of 634 Old 02-26-2005, 05:19 PM

Hello, and thanks for the huge amount of information on the N8100. I've been working with computers for more than 20 years and I'm still in aw of just how much information you can find about a subject with an online search! I should be receiving my Kenwood next Friday and looking forward to comparing it to my Sony DA3ES. Has anyone had any luck finding a manual PDF? Thanks Again Frank
post #295 of 634 Old 02-26-2005, 08:21 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally posted by slocko
can someone post a screen shot of the interface?

You want the receiver side interface or the server side interface?
post #296 of 634 Old 02-26-2005, 11:59 PM

You can find screenshots of both server and clientside here:
http://www.areadvd.de/hardware/networking_2.shtml

And again, the client side software/hardware will never be able to play back every possible codec combination. If VOBs don't play back properly, maybe a audio codec is used that is not supported by the N8100.

The only solution: upnp
Should't be a big problem to implement, and we can use our own server software (the kenwood server software is ugly as hell).
That way, it is also possible to move the Decoding of media to the PC server. No need for future firmware patches - just adjust the server side.
post #297 of 634 Old 02-27-2005, 01:33 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 14
I was just thinking there needs to be an all-in-one server package. One app that can serve up to any number of devices regardless of who makes 'em.

You know so my replayTV, Onkyo NetTune receiver and say the N8100 could all have access to the same database of files. There could be plug-ins for each system's transfer protocols, pretty simple stuff I'd think.

And in the case where a system doesn't support a format say the onkyo not supporting ogg, just have something PC side convert the file and then serve it up. You could even have down converted AC-3 5.1 files converted to waves and stream those. The PC is such a great tool to use like this.... And this should all be pretty simple to do...

BTW, for the link to the open source server FlipFlop rocks, he's well known in the replayTV area. He's moded the server to work with replayTV files and the replayTV transfers. I'm sure others could be added!
post #298 of 634 Old 02-27-2005, 07:54 AM

My receiver just gave up on me. It is not able to connect to the network (with auto ip). Seems like it does not request a dhcp from the router. The router does not see the receiver.

Anybody there has a suggestion ? I do not have a remote and hence can change the ip to manual and specify an address.

I tried changing of the server software, initializing the receiver etc and no luck.

Thanks

Uday
post #299 of 634 Old 02-27-2005, 07:58 AM
AVS Special Member

thxs for the link. the client ui is not so bad.

rather be lucky than good.
post #300 of 634 Old 02-27-2005, 10:08 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by sammyGun2004
I called a Kenwood authorised repair center and they quoted $14 for four and $20 for the remote.

SammyGun -- best quote I've heard for replacement remote was $32 + S/H. Where can you get for $20?
Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page