My review of the Kenwood VRS-N8100 networking receiver - Page 4 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #91 of 634 Old 12-12-2004, 03:45 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
some questions/comments:

1. Can someone tell me what we can do with the GNU GPL/LGPL application software released by kenwood?
(kenwoodeurope.com/support/downsoft/gnu.aspx?)
Would be great if we can change the firmware that way.

2. There is a great community for some Kiss dvd players using the same sigma chip for multimedia playback. Server replacement software is out there too for those players. I think we will see this for kenwood too. Its not a big deal to analyze the sends and responses from the existing server software.

3. New server software and firmware has been released for the 8100. What are your impressions?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #92 of 634 Old 12-12-2004, 11:08 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:

Originally posted by hotspot
some questions/comments:

3. New server software and firmware has been released for the 8100. What are your impressions?

Is this on the web somewhere? Thanks!
post #93 of 634 Old 12-12-2004, 11:17 AM

You can use the link i posted above.
I had to remove the "h**p://" in front of the url because I'm not allowed to post urls in my first 5 posts
Just click on the PC Server button on the left.
You will need your mac adress for this.
post #94 of 634 Old 12-14-2004, 12:01 AM

Anyone knows if there are any discrete codes available for the power on and power off on the remote? Been trying to program my Pronto to control these functions separately to no avail.

Thanks!
post #95 of 634 Old 12-14-2004, 12:03 AM

Quote:

some questions/comments:

1. Can someone tell me what we can do with the GNU GPL/LGPL application software released by kenwood?
(kenwoodeurope.com/support/downsoft/gnu.aspx?)
Would be great if we can change the firmware that way.

2. There is a great community for some Kiss dvd players using the same sigma chip for multimedia playback. Server replacement software is out there too for those players. I think we will see this for kenwood too. Its not a big deal to analyze the sends and responses from the existing server software.

The site seems to be European. Is the firmware code that's available here applicable to us Yankees too?
post #96 of 634 Old 12-14-2004, 12:43 AM

I'm pretty sure that there is only one version of the kenwood server software both for europe and USA.
But maybe tgaut can tell us more.

The firmware is downloaded by the server software to your PC.
After that, you have to tell your 8100 which server to use for an update of the firmware.
So, if there is only one server software, there has to be only one firmware.

Maybe sgroer has tryed this yet?
I'm not sure why the american support site didn't released any info yet.
But on the other hand, look at how much more info you can find on the german support site for example (including FAQs):
(kenwood-electronics.de/netzwerk_frmset.htm).
post #97 of 634 Old 12-14-2004, 11:03 AM

You're right. It is the same version of the software. What we were sent to post on the US site had one dialog box still in Japanese. It should be posted very soon. However, feel free to download it off the European site.

You guys are good! Here I was going to come on here and say "It's available for download", but you stole my thunder. Have to get up pretty early to sneak one past you guys!
post #98 of 634 Old 12-14-2004, 12:03 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 12
tgaut,

Think you could find out what the officia bass X-over frequency is on the 7100/N8100 for us? One person tested and said his test revealed that it was 80hz.
post #99 of 634 Old 12-14-2004, 12:31 PM

I'm not in the office today, but I'll check in the morning.
post #100 of 634 Old 12-14-2004, 12:40 PM - Thread Starter

I'll be upgrading my software and firmware this evening. If I find anything to be different, I'll certainly post it.
post #101 of 634 Old 12-14-2004, 03:12 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Originally posted by tgaut
I'm not in the office today, but I'll check in the morning.

Thanks. No rush though. Just curiosity.
post #102 of 634 Old 12-15-2004, 07:12 AM

How do you get the wireless networking going with this receiver? I assume you install a PCMCIA wireless card but I haven'e seen anything on which cards it works with or how it installs drivers.
post #103 of 634 Old 12-15-2004, 07:36 AM

Quote:

How do you get the wireless networking going with this receiver? I assume you install a PCMCIA wireless card but I haven'e seen anything on which cards it works with or how it installs drivers.

You will need an ethernet bridge. PCMCIA-slot only supports an adapter for memory cards like compact flash.
post #104 of 634 Old 12-15-2004, 07:52 AM

Quote:

You will need an ethernet bridge. PCMCIA-slot only supports an adapter for memory cards like compact flash.

That stinks. The place I want to put this unit I don't have much space for concealing extra equipment. This will require an external W-Fi adapter and since it's not USB, a power supply for it.

I really wish they had built Wi-Fi into it right from the start, or made a slot in back for a PCMCIA card to insert to support it. I know this adds cost, but almost everyone putting in a new home network now is using wireless.

Nice unit though. I will definitely be getting a networkable receiver in the future, but I will wait for Wi-Fi within the enclosure.

~Dominic

HT Fan
post #105 of 634 Old 12-15-2004, 02:56 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by Daryl L
tgaut,

Think you could find out what the officia bass X-over frequency is on the 7100/N8100 for us? One person tested and said his test revealed that it was 80hz.

Officially it is 100Hz.
post #106 of 634 Old 12-15-2004, 04:00 PM
AVS Special Member

Thanks for the info tgaut.
post #107 of 634 Old 12-15-2004, 10:00 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 52
Attached is a plot of the measurements I took between the Kenwood 7100 and the Sherwood Newcastle R-865 with Xover at 80hz. Ideally, this should be done in an anechoic chamber or at least in a quasi-anechoic area. Meaning outside in an open area away 50+ feet away from any objects. I do have an area I can do that but wasn't that motivated to lug everything outside. Or at least not the Sherwood. So the measurments are taken in my room for convenience. That is why I used the Sherwood with X-over set at 80Hz for comparison.

A couple notes:
Any X-over should start above the X-over point and be a about 3 db down at the crossover point. This can vary of course but a guideline. The highest reading here is at 80Hz. The room is the cause of this as I have a peak at 81Hz.

I tried to level match each piece within +/- .1 db of each other. So minor differences in graph might be because of that. The RTA is rounding to the nearest db. That is why much of the graph is just overlapped. But, it does give you an idea of how close each of the electronics are.

This was done late at night so the levels were not set that high. But, really doesn't effect the graph. With my HVAC system off my room is less than 25db. HVAC is my next big project for isolating this room. The HVAC system was off for the tests.

Hope this helps.

Bob

xoverplot.zip 4.640625k . file
post #108 of 634 Old 12-16-2004, 06:22 AM
AVS Special Member

Hi-

A few things...
Crutchfield list this item as "discontinued". Is there a replacement model in the near future?

How is the fan noise on this?

* Firmware request: variable crossover points (80 min.)

Bob, you need to put the picture part of the HTML in the zip folder, please.
post #109 of 634 Old 12-16-2004, 06:32 AM
AVS Special Member

Here is another one in Word format. The data comes out in Excel and I was trying to convert it to something that everyone would have. Just in case somebody doesn't have MS Office. I don't know how to convert an excel or word file into a JPEG. I guess I could print it and scan it back in. Is there any other way to convert it. I have a laser printer so I'd have to print it at work for color.

Bob

xoverplot2.zip 5.1181640625k . file
post #110 of 634 Old 12-16-2004, 06:33 AM
AVS Special Member

BTW, I downloaded the first one and it worked fine on my machine. Is anyone else having problems?

Bob
post #111 of 634 Old 12-16-2004, 11:35 AM

BobL,
I bow to your technical expertise.

Tweakophyte,
I have one at my desk, playing at a low level to avoid audio wars, and can say I've never heard the fan. Obviously when it's cranked the fan might put out some noise, but who could hear it. Maybe someone can try running one hard for a bit, then turn it full down and listen for any noise.
The VRS-N8100 was released in August, so it is not discontinued. Looking at Crutchfields site, they have a "New" tag AND a "Clearance" tag on two different Kenwood receivers. Perhaps they are confused, what with the holiday season and all! I think I'll check with them.
post #112 of 634 Old 12-16-2004, 11:46 AM
AVS Special Member

Clearance doesn't necessarily mean discontinued does it?

It could be they have more stock than they want to carry.

rather be lucky than good.
post #113 of 634 Old 12-16-2004, 01:48 PM

Let me second the idea that I believe Kenwood should consider taking the server and client applications as open source as possible.

Kenwood is a hardware company, not a software company. Take a look at what Slimdevices has been able to accomplish with their audio server.

Kenwood should maintain a development team to take submissions and integrate the efforts into the official release package and focus their efforts on parts of the code that can not be released.

If Kenwood wants to get out in front, this is the way. There a many examples out there. This may be a hard concept for a japanese company, but I believe the winner will be the first company that brings high quality hardware and develops a strong community to gradually work the software into a must have application.

Those are my 2cents, for what they are worth.

- Wes
post #114 of 634 Old 12-16-2004, 01:55 PM - Thread Starter

Your 2 cents becomes 4 cents. because I agree with you totally!
post #115 of 634 Old 12-16-2004, 02:47 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by sgroer
I'll be upgrading my software and firmware this evening. If I find anything to be different, I'll certainly post it.

Sgroer
How did the upgrade go?
post #116 of 634 Old 12-17-2004, 09:50 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:

Originally posted by tgaut
Sgroer
How did the upgrade go?

Work has been getting in the way of my life this week... I'll do it this weekend and post. Probably Saturday AM.
post #117 of 634 Old 12-19-2004, 02:45 PM - Thread Starter

I got the upgrade done...
I didn't follow the instructions fully and did not unistall the old PC Server version before installing the new one. The firmware update bombed, so I went back, unistalled PC Server, reninstalled it and everything worked perfectly. I don't see any new functionalities so far. If I discover anything or think something might be slightly different, I will update the group. I am consindering developing an excel applet to easliy manage music on the PC side using the xml format that the PC software understands. It's going to take some time, so more on that at a much later date. I have done very little web development, but looking at the xml files pointed out earlier in this thread, it's very simple. Among other things, I'd like to design a randomizer of sorts.

On another note, after investigating the xml files, it seems that the best way to make playlists for now is to create a new Genre called "playlists" or something similar and import the files from your music directories. It's actually quite convenient to do it this way, and inside each Genre, you can have an album name representative of the list. For instance, we had a Christmas Party on Friday night and I created a playlist called "Christmas Party 2004" as an album in the playlist genre. It had about 30 songs on it. Using the genre repeat mode, the playlist repeated once during the party. Worked perfectly!
post #118 of 634 Old 12-22-2004, 10:36 AM

Hello- this is my first post on these boards

I need to buy my brother a HTR for a wedding gift and have read this and other thread completely.

This reciever looks like a top choice, except it is not compatible with the AAC/itunes(also not crazy about no 5.1 input, but my brother should not miss it like I would) I am not very familiar with itunes/or ipod, but this is very important to him. If he can not stream this source then the streaming capability is useless to him. I may as well save the cash and go with the 7100 or the panny. Am I missing something? Is everybody converting this format to something different? If so which format via which software? Or is no one using itunes. I personaly buy cd's myself and have never messed with itunes so pardon my ignorance.

Thanks,
Josh Huls
post #119 of 634 Old 12-22-2004, 07:06 PM - Thread Starter

Yes, I don't mess with Itunes either... I buy cd's or download MP3's (legally). I think the only way to stream an AAC is to convert it... and the little I know about AAC files would not be enough to advise you on how to do that. I don't know of any receivers that can stream protected AAC's... You could buy the 7100 or the panny and an airport express which will do the streaming of itunes AAC's for you.
post #120 of 634 Old 12-23-2004, 04:02 PM

Yes-that's the conclusion I came to after hours more of reading forums. I found a way to convert, but I have to wonder what is so great about itunes if it is such a pita to work with.

Thanks for the reply

Josh Huls
Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page