AVS Forum banner

ONKYO TX NR1000 owners thread...

261K views 3K replies 172 participants last post by  dimitrov 
#1 ·
I have had this receiver now for a few weeks and can say it is capable at handling anything you throw at it. I use an Onkyo SP 1000 (iLINK) and a JVC HM DH 5U with it. Plus an X BOX, Sony dvd recorder and an HD Tivo! So far it has been a piece of cake to setup. I really like how you can customize your OSD inputs to say anything you want. Before I owned a Denon 5803(A) and can say I feel as though I did upgrade in sound! Movies sound so close and real that it is frightening. The iLINK connection between the SP 1000 and the NR 1000 makes playing both SACDs, and DVD-Audio a NO-brainer. And the back of the receiver is well laid out making connections painless. For the price it is pretty expensive, many will say go seperates! But if you want to keep it simple, it is a good way to go! Besides the denon 5805 (marked to high in my opinion) runs for considerbly more...And with the Onkyo weighing 80 plus pounds, with many types of inputs, HDMI switching, and upgrade ability, I find it to be a bargain compared to the 5805. Paired with its brother the SP1000, they are a perfect match! You get Flex O Scaling(perfect picture), with heart thumping SOUND...I have yet to watch a movie that I wasn't totaly immersed...

#3 ·
Sure, why not, they are all practicallly the same anyhow. Another really conveinant and cool option is the ability to switch to the different sound For example, if you want to add THX processing to any of your signals, you hit one button, and it is added. Same for DDPLIIx, DTS Neo6 and others, hit one button without having to go to a setup menu. Same for level changing of individual speakers. Hit one button on the remote, and then either up or down to change the speakers output. Nice! I also like how you can view the NR 1000's setup menu on any output(component, S video, composite, or even HDMI)...I found it very helpful being able to do adjustments when watching a dvd on the SP1000. And there are plenty adjustment options for you. You can set bass and treble for each speaker, and you can make adjustments if there is to much treble in the soundtrack by one hit on the remote! There is a lot of nice options on this receiver, but the SOUND it produces is probably the best. It deserves a look if you are looking for an ultimate-flagship receiver...

#5 ·

Quote:
Originally posted by joerod
I also like how you can view the NR 1000's setup menu on any output(component, S video, composite, or even HDMI)

Maybe I got a defective unit or am just an idiot but one of the frustrating things I've encountered is I cannot get the setup menu to show up on my tv. Is there a procedure that I missed?

I have a LG 3200A satellite tuner connected to the Onkyo via a DVI - HDMI cable and I have my Pioneer 59avi dvd player hooked up to the Onkyo via HDMI. I then have a HDMI - DVI cable going to my NEC 50XM4 plasma.

#6 ·
WDSAV- it has FLAWLESS HDMI switching(mine even goes to DVI). It does have a ton of room setup options. It doesn't have a builtin sound meter, I never have used one anyway. I like the old fashioned radioshack soundmeter. The pep-to get it on your tv the first time it is easier to run a component out to your display, or s-cable or composite. Then you can switch it to display over other outputs. It is really nice, PM mail if you need more help....JoeRod

#8 ·
As far as Flagship receivers go, I would stack it up against any of the others. One other note, the special ENHANCE DSP mode makes football games sound like you are in the stadium!!! This year's Superbowl party is going to be alot more fun....

#9 ·

Quote:
As far as Flagship receivers go, I would stack it up against any of the others. One other note, the special ENHANCE DSP mode makes football games sound like you are in the stadium!!! This year's Superbowl party is going to be alot more fun....

Thanks for that tip!!! I'm gonna have a big Superbowl party and will check this DSP option on Sundays games.

#10 ·
No problem! Talking to one of Onkyo's head engineers he basicly said they created the ENHANCE DSP mode for sports. Sometimes, depending on where the game is being played, you can hear the QB bark out the signals. Now that is pretty cool. Also try TV logic for sitcoms. Like Everybody Loves Ramon, or King of Queens, or Seinfield (reruns), this mode puts you in the studio audience. Your center handles the dialogue, while the surrounds handle the rest. And if there is studio laughing, that happens behind you!!!

#11 ·
I will chime in to what joerod says. I'm an Integra dealer and we have an Integra DTR-10.5 (the equivalent of the TX-NR1000) for our demo theatre along with the DPS-10.5 DVD player...WOW. All of the possible tweaks will actually make your head spin if you want to use them.

Looks great, sounds great...superb. Using iLink for the audio and HDMI for the video...HDMI to the SIM2 projector as well. Plop in an SACD or DVD-Audio, it immediately recognizes the format, says "SACD" or "DVD-AUDIO" on the receiver display and you have the full spread, all digitally.

Had no problem with the OSD on the projector...pops up right away. Net-Tune works just fine, whether it is Internet Radio or from our in-house server with about 9000 songs. Interface for Net-Tune is kinda clunky and there are some enhancements that we have on our wish list, but it sounds terrific.

Just put a DTR-10.5 into a client's house with a SIM2 HDMI projector. Only problem was the darn Denon DVD2910 player and that green push. Firmware upgrade along with choosing the HDMI Y Pb Pr setting on the player fixed that.

Eric

#12 ·
Eric,

Have you heard any rumors regarding room correction for Onkyo/Integra/IR? This seems to be the one feature missing, now that HK and Marantz have joined Yamaha, Denon, Pio with some form of RC. For higher end stuff, both Lex and Meridian are offering there own (obviously more advanced) forms of RC as well. If its true that the Onkyo/Integra/IR have two of the new TI DSP's it would seem they would have plenty of power available. I am mainly interested in the RDC 7.1, and with the features and connectivity available some form of RC would seem to be the only thing missing.

#14 ·
This receiver is ridiculously amazing. I wish it didn't cost over 4 beans, though. This sadly puts this monster way into fantasy land for me.

#15 ·
I to have heard there will be a new card upgrade by April or May. This is why I felt co compelled to purchase this unit. The upgrading without upgrading receiver concept is a much needed shot in the arm for the electronics industry...

#16 ·

Quote:
I to have heard there will be a new card upgrade by April or May. This is why I felt co compelled to purchase this unit. The upgrading without upgrading receiver concept is a much needed shot in the arm for the electronics industry...

That's one of the reasons where I can see why a price like this is somewhat justified. Barring an outright paradigm shift in the industry, theoretically, you should be sent for a LOOOOONG time with this receiver. Perhaps indefinitely.

Ballpark, how much does a "card swap/upgrade" cost? Or is it yours by rights, since you already threw down over 4 large for the unit in the first place?

If it works out, it's certainly a very compelling model of how to run things.

#17 ·

Quote:
Originally posted by Q of BanditZ
That's one of the reasons where I can see why a price like this is somewhat justified. Barring an outright paradigm shift in the industry, theoretically, you should be sent for a LOOOOONG time with this receiver. Perhaps indefinitely.

Ballpark, how much does a "card swap/upgrade" cost? Or is it yours by rights, since you already threw down over 4 large for the unit in the first place?

If it works out, it's certainly a very compelling model of how to run things.

The card prices vary wildly. The following prices were converted from official Jap Integra Research retail prices (USA street is a bit cheaper - Onkyo and Integra share modules):

Base Video Module - $300

HDMI Module - $500

D4 Module - $200 (Japan Only Probably)

Compnent BNC Module - $150

Component RCA Module - $100

Net Tune Module - $200

AMFM Module - $100

AES/EBU/Multi Channel Module - $150ish (I was quoted discounted - Included in Japan)

Double MultiChannel Input Module - $100 (Educated Guess - Not Available in Japan)

This is the current state of module rumours:

Sirius Radio Module (Likely)

XM Radio Module (Likely)

HDMI 1.1 Module (Almost Certain)

Room Correction Module (Rumour Only)

DAB Radio Module ("Under Consideration" - Likely Europe.Middle East Only)

#18 ·
Very impressive.

When you buy it, what does it come with already? (Which card?)

Or those things you list each seperate cards, and I'd have to make one choice out of all of those things, or can I swap and add numberous items like those, if I felt like it?

What's the difference between HDMi vs. HDMI 1.1?

#19 ·
Q,

The list above applies to the IR RDC-7.1.

Heres what is included as standard for each model:

RDC-7.1 - Analogue Audio, Digital Audio & I-Link Modules

DTR-10.5 - Analogue Audio, Digital Audio, AMFM & Base Video Modules

TX-NR1000 - Analogue Audio, Digital Audio, AMFM, I-Link, Net Tune, Double Multichannel Input, RCA Component, HDMI & Base Video Modules

What is worth noting is the Onkyo is NOT customisable like the other two, all slots are full. What will most likely be available to Onkyo users is an upgrade to the next revision. For example if the HDMI 1.1 modules is released then Onkyo will likely offer the NR1000 with it and probably offer an upgrade for existing users (Swap old HDMI 1.0 card for new 1.1 card).

As you can probably see the NR1000 is the value for money option but the DTR-10.5 can offer things like AES/EBU and BNC component connectors if the user requires them. There are also some small tweaks applies to the DTR-10.5.

What can go in what slot seems to be limited more by the firmware than hardware. At first I thought only similar cards can use the same slot (Eg. Only Component BNC or RCA in one of the slots) but in Japan the RDC-7.1 can take either AMFM or D4 module in same slots (These modules are not at all similar). Numerous items is so far not possible probably due to firmware restrictions.

#20 ·
I've been waiting for this receiver to come out, have consulted the manual, and am unclear on a few items so would like to ask you a few questions if you don't mind.

1. It appears in the manual that it is possible to have all video inputs (composite, s-video, component & HDMI) converted and sent to the HDMI output. Is this correct?
  2. I currently have a 7.1 setup and prefer when listing to SACD/DVD-A to eliminate the side L/R surrounds and send these outputs to my R/L rear surrounds. In essence, eliminate the rear surround channels and re-map the side-surround outputs to the rear speakers. Is this possible using an i.Link connection into the NR1000?
  3. Since your using an i.Link connection, can you confirm that the NR1000 is properly applying bass management and time/distance compensation to SACD's? The time compensation in particular seems to be an over site for a lot of equipment.[/list=1]

Thanks in advance to anyone taking the time to respond.

#22 ·
Wow. You all are doing an excellent job in making me consider taking a very drastic and rash action. 0_0 I think I'd better ban myself from this thread pretty soon!

VERY impressed!

Now, since this card swapping idea is fairly new and all, have any of you heard, seen, or encountered any kind of bugs or issues yet at all with this unit?

#23 ·

Quote:
Yes, all video can be displayed thru the HDMI. I haven't ever done that for the iLINK connection so I will have to get back to you on that one. I have had no problems with TA or bass management whatssoever.

Thanks for the quick response Joerod. Looking forward to your follow-up on the speaker mapping. May have to do some shopping this weekend

#24 ·
Yes Jones, In all the optical, coax, and iLINK inputs, you have a ton of different speaker options. In the manual it also talks about rerouting the speakers (sides to rears). I have been playing with the NR 1000 all afternoon. So ask me any question, TX NR1000 101 is in....Happy New Year everybody!!!

#25 ·
So the NR1000 is now available to be purchased. For sure.

Joe, since it's so early in the ballgame, have you seen or heard about any kind of bugs or glitches yet? This is some new technology in a lot of ways being dealt with here. Especially the ability to "swap cards."

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.