Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 122 Post(s)
Liked: 133
Well, since we're plugging...
I have a 1014 gathering dust too .

~Dave

...Theater Room Setup...
JVC DLA-RS40-U... Oppo BDP-105D... Toshiba HD-XA2... Uverse VIP-2250... Roku Streaming Stick... Emotiva XPA-3... Onkyo TX-SR805
JBL LC2 (x3) ... JBL L820 (x6) ... SVS PB10-ISD (x2) ... SVS 20-39-PCI
post #2193 of 2338 Old 09-06-2008, 09:45 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Just picked up a 1015, and planned on having my two front speakers with 12" woofers carry the lows instead of a sub. In the manual setup I set sub to NO and front to large, but when trying to run an automatic MCACC, it errors out when it doesn't find a sub.
How can I get it to complete auto setup without a sub?
post #2194 of 2338 Old 09-08-2008, 06:03 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
I can't remeber but I think when you start the MCACC it has you tell it if you have a sub. Are you using the on screen menu or just using the front of the unit?
post #2195 of 2338 Old 09-09-2008, 09:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Character_Zero View Post

I can't remeber but I think when you start the MCACC it has you tell it if you have a sub. Are you using the on screen menu or just using the front of the unit?

I'm using the TV display. It doesn't ask about the sub in the MCACC setup, it asks whether the rear surround speakers are 'normal, remote, or font-biamped'.

For the results I get:
Front (yes)
Center(yes)
Surround(yes)
Surr back (no)
Subwoofer(err)
post #2196 of 2338 Old 09-10-2008, 10:17 PM

ok, fixed it. The receiver detects if there is a sub connected by sensing if there is a plug in the sub RCA jack. That sensor was malfunctioning, making it think there was a sub connected, but not on, even though there wasn't a plug in the sub jack. It's fixed now and completing the auto MCACC great.
post #2197 of 2338 Old 09-25-2008, 10:42 AM

Well I posted about this some months ago but didn't really get any feedback, so thought I'd try again considering I haven't solved the problem.

So I've gone through the manual several times trying to figure out where I may have gone wrong setting my Zone B speakers up, but I can't figure it out. I have a center, sub, and 4 satellites set in Zone A for my movie watching, but I wanted to hook up my good stereo floor style speakers to Zone B to listen to music. I can't get any sound out of Zone B though. The impedance of these speakers is within the range shown to be acceptable in the manual.

Anyone have any idea what's going on or has anyone had a similar issue? Thanks!
post #2198 of 2338 Old 12-08-2008, 08:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by givingtree View Post

Well I posted about this some months ago but didn't really get any feedback, so thought I'd try again considering I haven't solved the problem.

So I've gone through the manual several times trying to figure out where I may have gone wrong setting my Zone B speakers up, but I can't figure it out. I have a center, sub, and 4 satellites set in Zone A for my movie watching, but I wanted to hook up my good stereo floor style speakers to Zone B to listen to music. I can't get any sound out of Zone B though. The impedance of these speakers is within the range shown to be acceptable in the manual.

Anyone have any idea what's going on or has anyone had a similar issue? Thanks!

You need to set your suround back output to second zone in the setup menu

Jim
post #2199 of 2338 Old 12-08-2008, 09:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ducktailjiver View Post

Hi Guys
What's the loudest you've turned this receiver up. I've only ever pushed it up to -5 on 7speaker mode. I have a pair of JBL ND310's and all the other speakers from that series but I refuse to blow them so that's my loudest..what's yours?

George

Depending on the bass in the music, I've been able to turn it up all the way without distortion.
I have two Cerwin Vega AT-10's with Rockford Fosgate Punch replacement woofers, polk for the center and suround, and the 650 watt Klipsch 12" sub.

Depending on the level you have your channels set to, the unit will top out anywhere from +5 to +12 give or take a few. Once you get it up into the + numbers, it really starts to crank, nice clean power shouldn't blow your JBL's

Jim
post #2200 of 2338 Old 01-06-2009, 09:08 PM

I have a vsx-1015tx-k, and consequently, it has a 5.1 multi-ch-in, with which I could connect something like a gomax electronics CV-505 HDMI switch with 7.1-analog out. (it's a nifty box, it decodes all the standards for the most part and renders them in analog, and can be set for 5.1 or 7.1).

Now, in my 1015 manual, it notes that anything through the multichannel input will not have acoustic EQ settings applied, which means no MCACC established equalization. This is a bit of a letdown, I must say, but none-the-less....

So, what settings ARE applied to the audio through the multi ch in jacks? Do I get the delays setup by MCACC applied to the surrounds? Can I still boost the subwoofer and have it apply?

Basically, I am wondering if it is worth it to get the cv-505 and bring my receiver into the lossless surround age, or if I should sell the unit and get a vsx-1018ah.
post #2201 of 2338 Old 01-07-2009, 11:43 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aqua225 View Post

I have a vsx-1015tx-k, and consequently, it has a 5.1 multi-ch-in, with which I could connect something like a gomax electronics CV-505 HDMI switch with 7.1-analog out. (it's a nifty box, it decodes all the standards for the most part and renders them in analog, and can be set for 5.1 or 7.1).

Now, in my 1015 manual, it notes that anything through the multichannel input will not have acoustic EQ settings applied, which means no MCACC established equalization. This is a bit of a letdown, I must say, but none-the-less....

So, what settings ARE applied to the audio through the multi ch in jacks? Do I get the delays setup by MCACC applied to the surrounds? Can I still boost the subwoofer and have it apply?

Basically, I am wondering if it is worth it to get the cv-505 and bring my receiver into the lossless surround age, or if I should sell the unit and get a vsx-1018ah.

The only setting the 1015 controls for the 5.1 analog inputs is volume. Other than that, the signals are just passed through.

It's disappointing, but pretty standard for 5.1/7.1 analog inputs to AVRs of most brands. It's one reason to go with a receiver that processes audio through HDMI.

I moved to an Elite VSX-01-TX. I can't say that "lossless" audio has knocked me out (AVS sacrilege! ), but the combination of that plus improved MCACC and THX, plus handling SACDs over HDMI made the upgrade worthwhile for me. YMMV.
post #2202 of 2338 Old 01-20-2009, 09:54 AM
Nex

Does anyone know how to adjust the volume of zone B relative to zone A?
post #2203 of 2338 Old 01-26-2009, 07:49 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Macfan424 View Post

The only setting the 1015 controls for the 5.1 analog inputs is volume. Other than that, the signals are just passed through.

It's disappointing, but pretty standard for 5.1/7.1 analog inputs to AVRs of most brands. It's one reason to go with a receiver that processes audio through HDMI.

I moved to an Elite VSX-01-TX. I can't say that "lossless" audio has knocked me out (AVS sacrilege! ), but the combination of that plus improved MCACC and THX, plus handling SACDs over HDMI made the upgrade worthwhile for me. YMMV.

Do you feel that the 1015 was significantly more powerful than your current VSX 01-TX?

Only time will tell what the future holds...so until then JAM LIKE THERES NO TOMORROW!
-Rob

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #2204 of 2338 Old 01-27-2009, 09:19 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Exocer View Post

Do you feel that the 1015 was significantly more powerful than your current VSX 01-TX?

No.

While I much prefer the 1015's amp design in theory, whatever advantage it has is not apparent when I listen. The differences in the pre/pro section are, though, and there the newer design has a distinct edge: Improved MCACC, DD TrueHD and DTS HD-MA decoding, etc.

As for raw power, the 10 watts difference in rated power (two channels driven at 8 ohms) is inconsequential (0.4dB max output). The 1015 does seem to have a beefier power supply, and would probably have an advantage if all 7 channels were pushing full output, but that doesn't happen in the real world.

I have meters, which help keep me from being too psyched out by published power ratings. I know that it is rare for any pair of channels to pull as much as 2w output in my setup, much less all seven at once. The loudest bangs may hit 10w occasionally when I crank things up, but either AVR still has lots in reserve.

BTW, my much loved 1015 is still serving in a second system where the new HD audio codecs are not an issue.
post #2205 of 2338 Old 02-14-2009, 09:39 AM

Liked: 12
After using my 1015TX out of the box for about a year I am goin hook it up to my new EMO XA3 any thoughts about this ,what should I expect I know that my pi has good power but my dedicated room is 20' x 28' with 16' high ceiling at the center my thoughts are to fill the room with more natural sound without overworking my receiver.
post #2206 of 2338 Old 02-14-2009, 10:35 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sawzalot View Post

After using my 1015TX out of the box for about a year I am goin hook it up to my new EMO XA3 any thoughts about this ,what should I expect I know that my pi has good power but my dedicated room is 20' x 28' with 16' high ceiling at the center my thoughts are to fill the room with more natural sound without overworking my receiver.

There are not many hard facts, but lots of opinions on this kind of thing. It will be interesting to hear yours.

Assuming you mean the XPA3, certainly nearly doubling the output power of the front channels seems impressive, although how much ~ 2dB more headroom will matter in your large room remains to be seen. The XPA3's topology may be more of a factor than its power, per se, in determining your system's sound quality. Freeing up the 1015 to run just the rear channels should be a bonus, although they are rarely stressed in any case.

Regarding increased power, this calculator may help give you some idea what to expect.
post #2207 of 2338 Old 02-14-2009, 11:18 AM

Liked: 12
Thanks for your interest in my post when all said and done Ill come right back and formulate my impressions into words...
post #2208 of 2338 Old 04-28-2009, 08:04 PM

Quote:

Does anyone know of a receiver capable of EQ while amplifying a 5.1 analog signal? I'm using a cheap JVC receiver and used the analog connection to enjoy slightly better sound with Blu-Ray, but none of the settings on my receiver have an effect on sound. As you said, the only option available is the volume. (I just wish the crossover frequency would work... right now, my sub is only for the LFE but since my front speakers aren't that big, I would have liked anything under 80hz to go to the sub). This works using a digital connection, but then I loose the benefits of "almost" HD audio.

So, besides buying a receiver with HDMI HD audio decoding, do you know a receiver capable of EQ while amplifying a 5.1 analog signal?

Thanks
post #2209 of 2338 Old 04-29-2009, 09:02 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BredStik View Post

Does anyone know of a receiver capable of EQ while amplifying a 5.1 analog signal? I'm using a cheap JVC receiver and used the analog connection to enjoy slightly better sound with Blu-Ray, but none of the settings on my receiver have an effect on sound. As you said, the only option available is the volume. (I just wish the crossover frequency would work... right now, my sub is only for the LFE but since my front speakers aren't that big, I would have liked anything under 80hz to go to the sub). This works using a digital connection, but then I loose the benefits of "almost" HD audio.

So, besides buying a receiver with HDMI HD audio decoding, do you know a receiver capable of EQ while amplifying a 5.1 analog signal?

Thanks

There may be some high end models that do, but I couldn't name any.

One possible workaround is to employ the (usually very limited) bass management controls in the BD player. Most permit selecting Small rather than Large main speakers, which then sends all the lows to the sub output. Many allow balancing the output between speakers as well. Not too sophisticated, but better than nothing, anyway.
post #2210 of 2338 Old 05-05-2009, 09:18 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

My listen to 5.1 analog from my hd-dvd player, and am able to adjust the volume on a per-channel basis, +10 to -10 db.

But, it is time to upgrade to an HDMI / Dolby TrueHD / DTS-MA capable receiver.
post #2211 of 2338 Old 05-21-2009, 08:23 PM

Hey guy's,
I'm just wondering. I'm wanting to turn down some highs on my eq.
Using the built in on my elite 92 txh,what eq frequency do the highs run on?
16hz? right now the mcacc had it +4.0 on left and right speaker channel every thing else is okay. if i turn them down will i mess up the performance of the eq?
post #2212 of 2338 Old 05-22-2009, 11:49 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AvGeek07 View Post

Hey guy's,
I'm just wondering. I'm wanting to turn down some highs on my eq.
Using the built in on my elite 92 txh,what eq frequency do the highs run on?
16hz? right now the mcacc had it +4.0 on left and right speaker channel every thing else is okay. if i turn them down will i mess up the performance of the eq?

It's pretty common for any auto EQ to boost highs in an acoustically "dead" room. And some speakers roll off the extreme highs, often intentionally, which the EQ will try to offset.

As for "what frequency highs run on," it depends on which highs you are talking about. Fundamental notes in music top out a little over 4 kHz and some fundamental "highs" (sopranos, trumpets) are in the 1-2 kHz range.

For EQ, 4 kHz is associated with "Edge", 8 kHz with "Definition" (also sibilance) and 16Hz with "Air".
post #2213 of 2338 Old 05-22-2009, 02:01 PM

I see thanks macfan,this system is just for music and i notice that most cd's i own are way to bright for my ears. I'll mess around with it allways can put it back to default
post #2214 of 2338 Old 06-18-2009, 07:52 AM

I just recently received my PB12-NSD..And after hooking it up to my VSX-1015TX..Im realizing that maybe I dont have all configured properly cause I am not getting any punch out of the sub..Speaker is set to small..which automatically activates sub-output, crossover at 80hz..i got a cheesy interconnect from subwoofer preout to the botton left input of the sub..crossover is disengaged on the sub and I have gain 3/4..I have it set to stereo/direct. Hooked to a pair of NS 777's with the rvr set to 6ohm. I use my setup for music which is coming from my computer onboard soundcard..which wasnt a problem in the past when hooked up to older Pioneer powered subwoofer which wasnt too much different output wise. I know Im doing something wrong here..should I buy a Y splitter? Should I go through spk manual setup and turn up the sub output? pc is hooked to dvd/ld of the rvcr. Any input will be appreciated
post #2215 of 2338 Old 06-18-2009, 08:14 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked: 58
I think STEREO/DIRECT gives you just that: L + R without SubWoofer.

If you are playing a 5.1 DVD, there are TWO separate streams output
over the digital audio (optical/coax) interface: PCM STEREO and AC3/DD5.1.
Your sound card may only be setup (or capable) of one or the other.....
IF you are simply using L/R output on sound card, it's missing LFE channel....
[LFE, Low Frequency Effects channel is the (.1) subwoofer channel in DD5.1]

The AVR picks PCM STEREO stream when you chose STEREO/DIRECT and
picks the AC3/DD5.1 stream when you choose DOLBY DIGITAL (or one of
the related TRUE surround modes on pg32 in your manual).

STEREO (or any of the Synthetic Surround modes on pg31) should redirect bass
freqs on L + R tracks to the SW.....but will IGNORE the DD5.1 LFE track.

Have you gone through the speaker CHANNEL LEVEL procedure on pg47 in your manual
to set SW level.....and to verify that it is correctly connected???

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
and
and

post #2216 of 2338 Old 06-18-2009, 08:44 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dustin Michael View Post

I just recently received my PB12-NSD..And after hooking it up to my VSX-1015TX..Im realizing that maybe I dont have all configured properly cause I am not getting any punch out of the sub..Speaker is set to small..which automatically activates sub-output, crossover at 80hz..i got a cheesy interconnect from subwoofer preout to the botton left input of the sub..crossover is disengaged on the sub and I have gain 3/4..I have it set to stereo/direct. Hooked to a pair of NS 777's with the rvr set to 6ohm. I use my setup for music which is coming from my computer onboard soundcard..which wasnt a problem in the past when hooked up to older Pioneer powered subwoofer which wasnt too much different output wise. I know Im doing something wrong here..should I buy a Y splitter? Should I go through spk manual setup and turn up the sub output? pc is hooked to dvd/ld of the rvcr. Any input will be appreciated

I had that combination for quite a while, and it worked brilliantly.

First, use the Stereo mode. Direct will bypass the VSX-1015's bass management system. Edit: Opps, I see holl_ands already covered that.

Beyond that, at the risk of asking the obvious, did you rerun MCACC after connecting the PB12-NSD? There is no way its gain should be set to 3/4. Unless you have a huge room, it normally would be below the 12:00 point. I would have expected MCACC to tell you to turn it down.

You might check the LFE Attenuator to be sure it didn't somehow get turned to -10 instead of 0.

A "Y" connector shouldn't make any difference if everything else is set up correctly.

I'm assuming your old sub was calibrated. If it wasn't, then I'd guess the lack of "punch" is because you had the old one set way too high (most of us do if we set it "by ear"). It's also possible that the old one had a boomy quality (typical of many lower priced subs) that you got used to. In either of those cases, it sometimes takes a while to get used to a calibrated sub with accurate rather than exaggerated lows.
post #2217 of 2338 Old 06-18-2009, 08:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by holl_ands View Post

I think STEREO/DIRECT gives you just that: L + R without SubWoofer.

My first though as well. Don't set it on Direct.
post #2218 of 2338 Old 07-01-2009, 05:01 PM

I'm still rockin a VSX-1015TX. I recently moved to a smaller home and consolidated my audio devices to one room.

Anyways. My bass output is lacking big time. I have the receiver set to bi-amp, using the front L/R and rear L/R to power my Polk Audio RTi10's. The RTi10's have a crossover plate in the back connecting 4 terminals(highs and lows), which I have removed(obviously).

So I am running 4 channels to my 2 speakers now. No matter what I seem to adjust, I just don't get any decent bass out, barely moves the subs.

I have the speakers set to Large. I have the Subwoofer set to No. I have it in Stereo mode(tried all modes). I manually adjusted the equilizer to boost up the lows a few notches.

I have an old Aiwa mini system in my garage that I hooked up temporarily to the RTi10's(to test) with the crossover plate in place, pushing "120watts" it pushes out the bass awesome.

Help and advice is greatly appreciated.

Chad
post #2219 of 2338 Old 07-02-2009, 10:31 AM
AVS Special Member

At the risk of asking the obvious, ragdoll, did you remember to change from "Normal" to the "Front Bi-Amp" setting in the "Surr Back System" menu? Did you double check all of your speaker wire connections at both ends? Did you run MCACC again after you switched to bi-amp mode? What did it read for the 250Hz (if that's below your crossover), 125Hz and 40Hz EQ filters (before you changed them manually)?
post #2220 of 2338 Old 07-03-2009, 03:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ragdoll View Post

I have the receiver set to bi-amp,
Chad

Quote:

At the risk of asking the obvious, ragdoll, did you remember to change from "Normal" to the "Front Bi-Amp" setting in the "Surr Back System" menu? Did you double check all of your speaker wire connections at both ends? Did you run MCACC again after you switched to bi-amp mode? What did it read for the 250Hz (if that's below your crossover), 125Hz and 40Hz EQ filters (before you changed them manually)?

Yep... set to bi-amp.

I didn't rerun the MCACC mic after switching. I set it to bi-amp, played some music, was disappointed in lack of bass, adjusted the EQ manually to push the lows all the way up. Played music, still disappointed, used the TONE button to turn BASS all the way up(+6). Played music, still disappointed.

Ran it in every mode the receiever has. But usually tried my tests in Stereo mode.
Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page