Official Pioneer VSX-1015TX Thread - Page 78 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #2311 of 2338 Old 06-13-2012, 01:14 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Also when I go through the speakers to test them the sub works and the speakers seem to be working as well
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2312 of 2338 Old 06-13-2012, 09:43 PM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
I think Id try to do the factory reset again after checking all wires and making sure there are no shorts, then I would power up the receiver and simply try to play something from the tuner before going any further.
post #2313 of 2338 Old 06-19-2012, 03:09 PM

So I think I fried the crossover on my speakers (Klipsch KG3.5s) because re same problem is occurring (only playing out of the tweeters) with my other receiver. I guess I need to decide whether I wanna try and fix te speakers or get some other ones. I'm running a Klipsch KSW-100 sub right now. I am using for mainly music, a lot of which is bass heavy. I'm looking for a little more bass outta the speakers if I get new ones but without loss and clarity of the tweeters and higher pitches. What speakers would you all suggest?? (lookin to buy off Craigslist probably, not new)
post #2314 of 2338 Old 06-19-2012, 11:29 PM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Old Cerwin Vegas were good for deep bass, not sure about the current models....
post #2315 of 2338 Old 07-11-2012, 03:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkeener71 View Post

I've had mine over 5 years, still going strong.

I was wondering what is the best Surround option to use for Blu-ray content???

There are so many options, 7.1ch stereo, Pro Logic IIx Movie/Music/Game, etc.

Or should I just do the Auto Surround so it automatically detects the source and picks whats best???

Thanks.

If your bluray player have 5.1 or 7.1 analog outs connect in this way to the multichannel 5.1 of the Pioneer, my VSX 1015
with the OPPO BDP-93 give a superb HD audio!!!
post #2316 of 2338 Old 07-27-2012, 08:05 AM

The remote on my Pioneer1015TX no longer works and a local repair shop says that the sensor on the circuit board has failed. They also tell me that the sensor is not supplied by Pioneer as a seperate replacement part and a complete new circuit board will be needed at a cost of around $250. At that price, it is not worth fixing. Has anyone else had this problem or have any suggestions what to do? The unit works perfectly when controlled manually but because of the physical location of our AV setup, the use of a remote is essential. Any help gratefully appreciated.

Thanks
post #2317 of 2338 Old 08-05-2012, 02:50 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked: 52
See VSX-1015 Service Manual: http://www.kallhovde.com/pioneer/tricomp/Audio/VSX/VSX-1015_RRV3113.pdf
You (or a trusted technician) could identify and replace the IR Sensor IC3002 (Remote Receiver Unit) and
perhaps also Q3001, both on Assy "O" Display Assy (attached to the Front Panel), found on pg21 & pg77.
Replacement doesn't look very hard once you remove the Front Panel and remove Assy "O". IC3002 is
a simple 3-pin device and Q3001 has the minor extra complication of being a 3-pin surface mount device.
[You would think a factory service technician would be able to do this with less than an hour of labor....]

Note that digital signal "RMC" becomes "SRIN" as it passes through JA952 "SR IN" ("IN CONTROL" jack)
located just below the AM/FM antenna connections. Rather than repairing the VSX-1015, you might want to
simply plug a Remote IR Sensor device into this mini-jack. These devices typically output TTL signal levels
(0, 5 VDC): http://www.smarthome.com/8170S/Mini-Stick-On-Infrared-IR-Emitters-Bugs-Blasters/p.aspx
Some (but not all) Cable STB's use 56 kHz, so some IR Sensors may not operate reliably across all "standard"
A-V IR frequencies of 36, 36.7, 37.9 kHz and/or 40 kHz...so make sure you can return these devices.

Parts List for Assy "O" is on pg106, IC3002 is RPM7140-H9, Rohm 40 kHz IR Receiver Module (TTL Output):
http://www.alldatasheet.com/datasheet-pdf/pdf/129973/ROHM/RPM7140-H9.html
http://www.datasheetarchive.com/RPM7140-H9-datasheet.html
Available here: http://www.digikey.com/product-search/en?x=0&y=0&lang=en&site=us&KeyWords=RPM7140-H9

and Q3001 is 2SA1576A transistor: http://www.rohm.com/products/databook/tr/pdf/2sa1037ak.pdf
Available here (see any of the three offerings which allow single unit orders):
http://www.digikey.com/scripts/DkSearch/dksus.dll?WT.z_header=search_go&lang=en&keywords=2SA1576A%20&x=0&y=0&cur=USD
post #2318 of 2338 Old 09-20-2012, 09:54 AM

Problem that someone can hopefully give me a hand with. I still use my vsx 1015 and love it. Lately though when watching either TV or DVD I get what is best described as a cloud moves over the picture (the picture for some reason will go dark and then brighten back up like a cloud is passing over the bulb). At time the receiver cant pick up the signal from the infocus sp5000. Could this be a video switching issue in the receiver or do you believe its a problem with the projector. Any way to diag this problem?

Henry
post #2319 of 2338 Old 09-21-2012, 01:28 PM
AVS Special Member

Hook each device directly to the Projector....if Projector still has a display problem, you've eliminated
AVR and SOME of the cables...then swap cables to see if one of them is bad....if it's not a cable problem,
then it is LIKELY the Projector. If problem goes away when path through AVR is eliminated, swap cables
around to see if it's a cable problem....if still a problem, the AVR is likely the source of your problem.
post #2320 of 2338 Old 09-26-2012, 10:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by holl_ands View Post

Hook each device directly to the Projector....if Projector still has a display problem, you've eliminated
AVR and SOME of the cables...then swap cables to see if one of them is bad....if it's not a cable problem,
then it is LIKELY the Projector. If problem goes away when path through AVR is eliminated, swap cables
around to see if it's a cable problem....if still a problem, the AVR is likely the source of your problem.

Thanks for the reply. I should have thought of that. Sometimes it the simple things that escapes me. I will try it this weekend.

Henry
post #2321 of 2338 Old 03-26-2013, 02:02 PM

Liked: 12
Power ratings question. I have a neighbor who has a VSX-1015TX. As you know, it's a 7.1 receiver. And the specs list it as 120-watts-per-channel. But - in the back of the manual - its power supply has a max consumption of only 480 watts? How does that work? 7 channels with a continuous power output of 120-watts should be a lot more than 480, shouldn't it?

My neighbor is considering upgrading to VSX-822-K, which is a 5.1 system. He only uses 5.1, so he won't miss the 7.1 support. He would really appreciate all the features on the newer VSX-822-K that simply weren't available on the 1015TX (HDMI support, Apple Airplay, etc.).

My main concern is the power ratings. The VSX-822-K is only rated 80-watts-per-channel. But it's total power output goes up to 450 watts.

Would that make the 822 - in reality - close to the 1015TX for power output when running 5.1? How about when just playing in stereo? Is there really a power difference between these two systems (one rated 120 WPC, the other 80 WPC), given their total-max-power usage is so close (480 vs 450)?

Thanks,
Bill
post #2322 of 2338 Old 03-26-2013, 03:31 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 65 Post(s)
Liked: 351
Nah the power will be pretty close. Get the receiver for the feature set you want. I think the 1015 was THX Select so you'll be losing that feature by getting the VSX-822. it also had preouts to connect an external amp. you have to step way up in the product line to get that feature now.

The vsx-1022 and vsx-822 are usually within $20 of each other in price. Get the 1022 if you need analog to HDMI video conversion, component video inputs, video scaler or 7.1. Its worth the extra money.

Afro GT
post #2323 of 2338 Old 03-28-2013, 02:08 PM

Liked: 12
I sent the very same question to Pioneer support. Here's what they had to say:
Quote:
The power consumption and the output power do not match. They use chips to increase the power internal of the receivers.

The VSX-1015TX is a stronger receiver than the VSX-822.

Given that my neighbor likes to enjoy a lot of loud, 2-channel music - I am concerned that the drop from the 120-WPC rated VSX-1015TX down to the 80-WPC rated VSX-822 would be noticeable.
post #2324 of 2338 Old 04-16-2013, 05:06 PM
AVS Special Member

In normal (or even abnormal) HOME use, there are VERY FEW, EXTREMELY INEFFICIENT speakers out there that actually NEED the higher power levels. I doubt that can TELL the difference between an 80 WPC and a 120 WPC Amplifier, esp. when using the usual separate Sub-Woofer Amplifier and your ears are ALREADY overloaded and can't really determine that the clipping level has been reduced by a mere 1.76 dB. Of course, your speakers ALSO need to have sufficient thermal dissipation to handle the higher average power levels without warping the voice coils....for as long as it takes for the cops to arrive after being called by angry neighbors!!!! On the other hand, 120 WPC in a Sub-Woofer Amp may be barely enough for some notoriously inefficient Sub-Woofers....and the ability of our ears to actually tolerate extremely high sound pressure levels below 100 Hz.

How to calculate (average, frequency response weighted) sound pressure levels (SPL):
http://www.chuckhawks.com/speaker_spl_amp_power.htm
http://www.avsforum.com/t/1282099/efficient-vs-inefficient-speaker

Crown even has an "app" for that
http://www.crownaudio.com/elect-pwr-req.htm
BTW: Some advise 15 dB "Headroom" for peaks and crescendos above the average WPC rating...but I've also seen 10 dB....and even (incrediblly) 20 dB assumed. Unfortunately, Amplifier manufacturers don't specify their PEAK power output capabilities. Note that only True RMS measurements are allowed with the inflated "IHF Music Power" no longer in use: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Audio_power
And, FWIW, some Boom-Box and Boom-Car manufacturers continue to push fantasy power specs:
http://sound.westhost.com/power.htm

Pay close attention to what will happen to what remains of your ears if you try to reproduce "Concert" sound pressure levels, rather than limiting SPL to a "safe" long-term use level of about 85 dB with infrequent excursions to 90 dB:
http://www.cdc.gov/healthyyouth/noise/signs.htm
http://www.bassharp.com/nihl.htm
http://www.hse.gov.uk/event-safety/noise.htm
http://hyperphysics.phy-astr.gsu.edu/hbase/sound/dba2.html
post #2325 of 2338 Old 06-28-2013, 10:41 PM

Having a strange problem with our 1015TX. We were listening to the tuner and went to turn the unit off via remote. Got no response, so I replaced the batteries thinking they might be weak but still no response. Tried turning it off at the front panel but none of the controls would respond. I unplugged it and waited 15-20 seconds then plugged it back in. Now the tuner continues to play, but none of the panel lights come on and the controls are unresponsive either on the panel or via remote. So we can listen to the radio at the station and volume set when this happened, but it's otherwise a brick. Any ideas?
post #2326 of 2338 Old 08-29-2013, 03:26 PM

Anyone have a similar problem to this?

Last night my VSX-1015TX stopped responding to the remote volume control just as I was about to switch it off to re-start with ROKU settings. However, it was still playing the feed from my cable through my speakers.

When I switched if off, the volume readout on the dot matrix screen didn't go off, and the blue light on the on/standby switch stayed on. It stopped responding to the remote completely, and wouldn't respond to the buttons on the front panel, either. Even when I tried to power it off, the blue light stayed on.

Next, I disconnected then reconnected the power. The blue light was still on when I looked back at the front of the receiver.

Next, I read the manual about how to do a reset, and did it by holding the tone button while pushing the on/standby button for 3+ seconds. No effect.

Finally, I unplugged it again, left it off for 30 seconds, and plugged it in again. This time the blue light doesn't come on no matter what, and it doesn't respond to any of the controls, remote or buttons on the front panel.

Sounds like it's time to go shopping, but before I do, any suggestions?
post #2327 of 2338 Old 09-10-2013, 12:30 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Very annoying problem.

After getting a VSX-2021 I "promoted" my 1015 to my PC for music and whatnot. I had it hooked up via the optical input. Anyway, the Headphones has been hooked up for 8-ish months now and a few weeks ago the sound in the right channel started to drop but was usually fixed by a quick restart of the receiver until yesterday when that didn't help either. Jabbing the headphone connector in and out or restarting it a bunch of times occasionally gets the sound back in the left channel but only temporary.

Of all the thing to break, analog inputs/outputs, display, volume knob, component and so on, the only thing I'm actually use is kaput.

I tried to get the front off but there's to much crap attached that I can't remove with the fear of breaking a bunch of pins so I can't reach the connection for the headphone jack.
So any ideas what ca be done or should I just give up?
post #2328 of 2338 Old 09-15-2013, 10:18 AM

Please don't be offended at this rather obvious answer - you've probably already checked this out - but are you sure the headphone cord/jack wiring is all intact? You're tried it in another device, and it works without problems, right?
post #2329 of 2338 Old 09-15-2013, 10:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by blogan View Post

Having a strange problem with our 1015TX. We were listening to the tuner and went to turn the unit off via remote. Got no response, so I replaced the batteries thinking they might be weak but still no response. Tried turning it off at the front panel but none of the controls would respond. I unplugged it and waited 15-20 seconds then plugged it back in. Now the tuner continues to play, but none of the panel lights come on and the controls are unresponsive either on the panel or via remote. So we can listen to the radio at the station and volume set when this happened, but it's otherwise a brick. Any ideas?

Mine did something very similar. First noted problem was lack of response to the remote. Changed the batteries. No effect. The unit continued to play the source material (from TV cable box). The volume setting appeared in the LCD screen readout as normal.

I thought maybe the remote was kaput. So I tried the controls on the front panel of the receiver. Volume control on the unit had no effect. Neither did any of the front panel controls. Even the power control would not turn it off.

I unplugged it for 15 seconds, plugged it in again. This time nothing worked.

I tried the reset described in the Pioneer manual (can't remember what it was - something like holding in the tone control and the power button simultaneously). No response.

Unplugged and and re-connected several times, to no avail.

Went out and bought a new Pioneer 1122k and switched all the connectors over to it. Then before putting the 1015 in the box to take it to the recycling depot, I plugged it in again and pushed the power button. It started up just like everything would work. So I put it back on the box and will take it out next week when my wife goes to visit her mother for a few days. That way, I can spend hours focusing on it and not be interrupted for things like dinner, taking out the garbage, etc. (Men! Hahahaha)
post #2330 of 2338 Old 09-15-2013, 11:27 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 65 Post(s)
Liked: 351
Quote:
I tried the reset described in the Pioneer manual (can't remember what it was - something like holding in the tone control and the power button simultaneously). No response.

Afro GT
post #2331 of 2338 Old 09-17-2013, 01:18 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheShovel View Post

Please don't be offended at this rather obvious answer - you've probably already checked this out - but are you sure the headphone cord/jack wiring is all intact? You're tried it in another device, and it works without problems, right?

Yes, I've tried a few other headphones as well. The main headphones has the 6.3mm plug but I've tried with a other headphones and a few 3.5 to 6.3mm adapters but the problem remains.
post #2332 of 2338 Old 12-06-2013, 12:47 PM

I am having a strange problem with my VSX-1015TX receiver. The blue output on the component output has stopped working. I have tried switching out cables without success. When I connect my dvd player directly to my TV the picture displays correctly. Could this be a fuse issue? Please forgive my ignorance. I hate replacing the receiver. I have had it for over 5 yrs and it has been great.

Michael

post #2333 of 2338 Old 01-08-2014, 06:43 AM

hi

is that this amplifier is a good deal for   $200 ?   i'm talking about  pioneer vsx 1015 s .. 
Is the lack of hdmi  is important  ?

thanks !

post #2334 of 2338 Old 03-16-2014, 08:10 AM

I've got a problem with my VSX-1015 receiver. I've only been using it for sound for the last year or so since I picked it up for nothing when someone was throwing it out. I've had it in my workshop just to play tunes but recently decided to hook up an old flat screen to it. Problem is, it won't play video. I've tried on every input, using both component, S-Video and composite, but I get nothing. Audio plays fine on all inputs, and the 'Setup Screen' shows up on the flat screen, but apart from that I can't get anything to show.

Any ideas what I might be missing, or is it fried and destined to live out the rest of it's days as a glorified ipod amp!?!

Any help would be most appreciated.

Thanks,

Mike

post #2335 of 2338 Old 03-16-2014, 02:20 PM
AVS Special Member

About the only thing that might be incorrect is a possible reversal of the R-G-B cables, esp. between AVR and HDTV....carefully recheck colors (Green & Blue are very similar) and also try swapping in a different cable. Since Video and S-Video are upconverted to Component Video, there SHOULD be no need for any other video connections to HDTV. Also note that the AVR does NOT down-rez the inputs, hence Component Video input does NOT appear on Video or S-Video outputs.

Although I don't think it will make any difference, you might want to try a RESET, described on pg71 in the User Manual, which will return all Input Assignments to their Default condition: After you do that, you might as well also remove the power plug from the wall for a few seconds just to make sure it starts from it's fresh out-of-the-box condition.
http://www.pioneerelectronics.com/pio/pe/images/portal/cit_11221/218219130VSX1015TXOperatingInstructions.pdf
post #2336 of 2338 Old 03-16-2014, 11:57 PM

Thanks for the suggestions. I'm not actually using an HDTV with this (shock horror!) it just has component and S-Video inputs. I've tried with an S-Video connection to the TV and get the same (lack of a) result. Also tried the reset but no change. It's looking more and more like the amp is fried...

post #2337 of 2338 Old 03-17-2014, 12:21 PM
AVS Special Member

Inexpensive Switches for Video/S-Video, Red/White Audio and Optical Digital Audio are readily available in Manual, Remote Control and even with AUTOMATIC detection capabilities as individual inputs are powered up, such in fol. example:
http://www.amazon.com/Philips-4-Way-Switcher-S-Video-Component/dp/B000WS5I7U
post #2338 of 2338 Old 07-12-2014, 06:30 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Unhappy Dead with MCACC flashing!

My VSX-1015TX circa March 2006 (manufactured January 2006) died last night in the middle of a movie. I unplugged and replugged and fiddled with it a bit and left it unplugged overnight. Today I replugged and it still would not come-to-life although the MCACC light was blinking on & off (flashing). I tried the two reset procedures in the manual to no avail, and then did some surfing and found:

Hold ENTER (at left) and VIDEO 2 (far right 2nd row) for several seconds

It came back to life! I almost spent a grand on a new receiver! At least, it seems OK now except that the blue Power LED (in the middle of the On/Standby button) is unlit which is something I've seen for a long time now--that LED has sometimes worked OK, sometimes it is off, and sometimes it flashes erratically.

Maybe this button sequence is in this thread somewhere but I could not find it so here you go.
Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page