Denon AVR-5805 Arrived..... - Page 44 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1291 of 1311 Old 04-17-2012, 04:52 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
In very rare instances, the AVR-5805 internal microprocessor might lock up, or otherwise cause mis-operation. This might be caused due to an AC
line surge or line spike noise, or by static electric discharge on or nearby the unit, or to connected components. If the condition cannot be corrected
by powering off the unit, including disconnection of the AC cord for a period of ten minutes and subsequent re-connection, then the unit may have
to be re-initialized. Doing so will restore the microprocessor to its original out-of-the-box state, with all custom memories and settings erased, and
the original factory default settings restored. Only use this procedure if you are sure that the microprocessor requires re-initialization.
1 Switch off the unit using the Main unit's power operation
switch.
2 Hold the following STANDARD button and HOME THX
CINEMA button, and turn the Main unit's power operation
switch on.
3 Check that the entire display is flashing with an interval of
about 1 second, and release your fingers from the 2 buttons
and the microprocessor will be initialized.
NOTES:
If step 3 does not work, start over from step 1.
If the microprocessor has been reset, all the settings are reset
to the default values (the values set upon shipment from the
factory).
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #1292 of 1311 Old 06-07-2013, 05:36 PM

Reviving an old thread, hope some of the long-time owners can help with my AVR-5805 issue. The pre-amp outs for zones 2, 3, and 4 have developed very audible noise (static like rushing water that increases as volume is increased), make a distinct low-level mid-frequency thumping sound when the volume is adjusted, and make an audible pop when the relays click in upon powerup.

The problem is evident both when powered by the receivers on-board amps and when powered by a separate amp. I've tried multiple sets of speakers and cables - problem persists through all configs.

At the suggestion of Denon tech support I reset the AVR per the manual - first time I powered it up the secondary zones sounded fine, problem returned on the next powerup and has persisted since.

Audio signals still play, but the noise floor is high enough that the music sounds like it's coming from a low-budget cassette deck.

Anyone else experience this, and if so were you able to resolve it or get the AVR repaired? I've loved this receiver for the last 8 years and have really enjoyed the multizone flexibility in three different houses - would very much like to fix this issue.

Thanks,

Mike
post #1293 of 1311 Old 07-03-2013, 02:35 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 20
My AVR-5805 Mk2 is working fine still, haven't had any issues with it to date.

I was contemplating upgrading my television to one of the 65" Panasonic plasmas just out, but am a bit concerned after reading about someone having issues with an older Denon AVR (not this one).

Wondering if anyone has any experience with the brand new Panasonics and the 5805Mk2. (On the off chance that there is more than a handful of these even being in use any more smile.gif)

[The receiver that was not working well with the Panasonic plasma was Denon AVR-2307CI, by the way.]
post #1294 of 1311 Old 07-07-2013, 01:42 AM
Advanced Member

Ok, didn't think I'd get an answer.

How about this one:

Does anybody use the internet radio feature?

I rarely did a few years back, but recently I'm wondering whether it's gone altogether (no longer supported at the transmit end), or if maybe a replacement router is not letting the feeds thru, or if maybe my ethernet input is toast. I don't get the auto setup via DHCP is what I saw a few months ago when I was trying to get it to work again.

Anyone left who can confirm whether it's still there? I might give it another shot if so.
post #1295 of 1311 Old 07-07-2013, 01:57 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by fmalczewski View Post

Ok, didn't think I'd get an answer.

How about this one:

Does anybody use the internet radio feature?

I rarely did a few years back, but recently I'm wondering whether it's gone altogether (no longer supported at the transmit end), or if maybe a replacement router is not letting the feeds thru, or if maybe my ethernet input is toast. I don't get the auto setup via DHCP is what I saw a few months ago when I was trying to get it to work again.

Anyone left who can confirm whether it's still there? I might give it another shot if so.

Sorry, Mine has been mothballed for about 3 years now. Did you try to connect the internet radio feature through the web interface ? The 4520 I have does not seem to have the web part of the feature to check.

Regards,
Steve
post #1296 of 1311 Old 07-07-2013, 11:30 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Richards View Post

Sorry, Mine has been mothballed for about 3 years now. Did you try to connect the internet radio feature through the web interface ? The 4520 I have does not seem to have the web part of the feature to check.

I never bothered with the web interface, I just stuck with what was available via the receiver's menu. (Might have visited the website once...)

But okay, I just set up the web interface on the web side. Thing was that the 5805 wasn't getting DHCP auto setup, so I think something may be broke (in the router (although all the other enet things I have (blu-ray, roku, hd-dvd) seem to be functional in that regard) or in the receiver). I re-purposed that enet cable to a roku, which doesn't have any link problems aside from lack of bandwidth to do much with it aside from standard def, but that's my internet provider and maybe my service level, so the cable seems to be ok otherwise (and the router).

Just a back burner project, will play with it again maybe later this week if I get some time.
post #1297 of 1311 Old 07-07-2013, 12:06 PM
Advanced Member

One of the reasons I mothballed my 5805 was the network card went bad. I had it working for a while by putting the connection to an old 10mb hub but then after a while it totally stopped working.

Regards,
Steve
post #1298 of 1311 Old 07-07-2013, 12:36 PM
Advanced Member

That could be what happened to mine. Oh well, it's not like I ever really used the internet radio feature more than just to see what it had to offer a few times. At some point will still give it another shot, not sure I still have that old 10mb hub, but might be something else to try.

(Plus the roku has a number of things to keep me occupied in the meantime, but even it mostly sits, discs and dvr get most of the attention these days. Also a 1st gen AppleTV that gets pretty much no attention these days, not even sure it would work (with iTunes) if I hooked it up again.)

My 10 mb router limped along (unknowingly, thought it was my internet provider and/or their broadband hardware) for a few years before it finally died altogether last October. Its replacement is 1 gb (max), still just wired only. (Had I known the old router was the cause of most all of my old problems, would not have waited so long. Still have the problem of internet slow down during certain times of the day and weekends. frown.gif)

Enough rambling. Thanks for your help.
post #1299 of 1311 Old 07-08-2013, 05:12 PM

My 5805 network card went flakey in the last couple of years as well. Watching the lights on the switch or router you can see it trying to connect. Periodically it will connect for a few hours, but the problem always comes back. Internet radio still worked on my unit a few months ago during one of the (brief) periods when the network card was working.

Network connectivity on the 5805 was always more of a curiosity than a desired feature for me - fun to play with, but I always ended up going back to some sort of source device for streaming radio or music files. The on-screen and IP menus just didn't provide a motivating user experience.

Mike
post #1300 of 1311 Old 07-08-2013, 06:46 PM
Advanced Member

I had contemplated stringing another enet cable or two when I got the Roku a couple months ago, was already one short, but when the 5805mk2 wasn't cooperating, just decided to let the Roku take that cable over (so I didn't bother stringing another). No biggie, like I mentioned, I never used the internet radio feature more than a few times.

May string another enet cable when I retire my going green (finally, and not in a good way) Sony SXRD XBR2, and try out a Panasonic plasma, per post above from a few days back. Given how stubborn the 5805 HDMI was, pre-mk2, with handling 1080p ok, and somebody else with a similar timeframe Denon (2307ci) having issues with his setup (possibly pilot error though, maybe?), I'm a bit nervous about how well that's going to work. I can see something similar with the mk2's 1.1 hdmi not knowing what to do with some handshake signal that the Panasonic generates and so not working... (pre mk2, the 5805 was apparently not passing some signal that indicated the progressive part of 1080p between source (panasonic blu-ray) and destination (sony tv), which the mk2 version subsequently took care of just fine.)

I'll be checking out more fully the relevant Panasonic plasma threads here before taking the plunge, but anticipate will probably be trying one out before August is over, unless the Sony gets unwatchable sooner (it looks pretty hideous when it's first powered up, but at this point, under normal watching conditions you still have to pay pretty close attention to see much to quibble about, and I learned to ignore most of the other quibbles long ago).
post #1301 of 1311 Old 07-09-2013, 03:31 PM

My 5805 is the original version (not Mk2) with the upgrade. I've used it for 1080p with a Pio 6020 and with a JVC RS45, never had any handshake issues.

Cheers,

Mike
post #1302 of 1311 Old 07-09-2013, 04:03 PM
Advanced Member

Just have to see, I guess. Hopefully guy with 2307ci tried doing 3D through his receiver and that was the sum total of his problem.
post #1303 of 1311 Old 07-27-2013, 01:54 PM
Advanced Member

Okay, got the Panasonic plasma set, got a reasonable price for the 65zt60. My first attempt to get it to work with the 5805mk2 was pretty successful, although I was not able to get the /24 part of 1080p/24 to kick in (was trying to get it going with a Panasonic BD35 blu-ray player). Does the 5805mk2 actually support /24 ? (My previous tv did not support /24, so this is new territory for me here.)

Thought I recalled reading here (long ago) that 1080p/24 was supported. Ok, thread scan's first relevant hit: "the MkII supports "1080p/24 & 60fps" vs "1080i" for the non-upgraded 5805."

Anybody have a Panasonic blu-ray player hooked up to their 5805 and have /24 going between it and their tv?
post #1304 of 1311 Old 08-01-2013, 08:08 PM
Advanced Member

Followup, was able to get this receiver to do 1080p/24, and to set the tv to 96Hz (so no pulldown) (info bar for the tv says 1080p/24). This was via an Oppo 93, though.

The Panasonc BD35 doesn't seem to behave as well, it automatically changing its settings to 1080i every time it is switched to; even when changing them back to 1080p/24, tv does not see the /24 part of the change (it's info bar just displays 1080p).

So far. So 5805mk2 seems to be behaving itself. (Unless for some reason it is hindering the Panasonic bd player from sticking to 1080p/24; Oppo seems to be more willing to keep its settings in place.)

(So far...) Looking good. (Quite good actually.)
post #1305 of 1311 Old 08-04-2013, 10:41 AM
AVS Special Member

I might be getting My Dad's 5805. Is Denon still doing the MK II upgrade? If so, how much is it and is it worth it?

thx

bob
post #1306 of 1311 Old 08-04-2013, 10:57 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
If I remember correctly, the price was about $1000.00 to have it done back in 2010. However you probably will need to call up Denon directly in NJ, or one of their factory authorized warranty repair centers and see if they still have any of the upgrade kits available. My guess is that they don't unless some service center still has one that they never used. And if they do, see what the price is now.
post #1307 of 1311 Old 08-04-2013, 01:00 PM
Advanced Member

About the is it worth it part, yes, you probably really want to have 1080p(/24) capability, that was what I reluctantly parted with 1000 bucks for after fighting with the 5805 and my first blu-ray player and my 1080p (no /24) tv.

At the time (mid-2007) I tried other workarounds, but there weren't any available that would cost less than getting the upgrade (if on the off chance that one of them would have worked (I tried a few that did not), the cost wasn't all that much more to just do the upgrade); perhaps that has changed in the meantime (I think there is a good chance that could be the case). But the mk2 upgrade made life pretty simple, and in the end was worth it. It's still behaving well, nearly six years later, and I'll be keeping it as long as it continues to do so.

At the time there were two places doing the upgrade, one apparently in NJ and one in the L.A. area. The L.A. area one did a great job on mine (it was closer to where I live). Took about a month round trip.
post #1308 of 1311 Old 08-05-2013, 04:51 PM

I used the NJ center to do mine in 2007 - it was $1000 plus another $200 to ship the unit insured. It was worth it at the time. Today, I'd probably think hard about what $1200 can buy in the way of receivers - might be better to get one of the newer Denon or Marantz units with MultiEQ XT32. That said, I still use my 5805 about every day and love it.

Mike
post #1309 of 1311 Old 08-05-2013, 04:55 PM
585-645-1006

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 267 Post(s)
Liked: 1300
^^
+1

The 5308CI and AVP owners that have had the $1000 3D/XT32 upgrade installed have not been disappointed. smile.gif

---------------------------------
"JD" – jd@avscience.com ; shop.avscience.com ; 585-645-1006, AVScience - AVSForum sponsor for 15 years  
Mon - Fri: 8am – 8pm EST (Sat/Sun, leave message)
Call for pricing on Denon, Marantz, Yamaha, Onkyo, Klipsch, Def Tech, Oppo, Parasound 
** Think the AVR is defective?  Reset the microprocessor 4-5 times. 
post #1310 of 1311 Old 08-05-2013, 05:52 PM
Advanced Member

Followup to ethernet connection not working with my 5805mk2 about a month ago.

I needed to string another ethernet cabe for my system, and while I was at it figured I'd string one for the receiver again. It seemed dead at first, changed a few settings in the receiver to make it a bit more alive looking but router wasn't working with it very welll (dhcp was not responding at all, so hard-coded in the ip address etc, like previously). Powered up/down receiver a couple times. Nothing.

Eventually was off on a tangent mucking around a bit with the router and the switch, found a firmware update for the router, and when it rebooted, the switch indicated that the link to the denon was up!

I then loaded the music station listings and it worked this time, and even listened a bit to some streaming music again.

Will try again at some point soon to see if it will now work with dhcp again... but the receiver's network card seems to still be alive.

If only I could get the old blu-ray player and hd-dvd player to pass /24 thru to the tv... (chance it could be what I'm playing (or not) though).

(Edit: Quick update - Have since replaced the old blu-ray player with one that works properly with /24 as well; networking is back to being non-responsive again, although I did also have it working via dhcp for a little bit...)
post #1311 of 1311 Old 09-07-2013, 03:40 PM

sadly, lack of ac-3 for laserdiscs and the excessive weight (100 lbs) keep me from getting this. the 5803/5803a is the runner up
Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page