Forum Jump: 

post #91 of 107 Old 09-19-2006, 05:40 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by calvintr View Post

Do you guys think this amp could drive the Polk R15's at decent listening levels in a mid sized bedroom?

the efficiency is rated at 89 for these speakers

I don't think you would like it. I tried polk r30s that are rated at 89db and it wasn't good enough for me. I guess it really depends on what you want tho. I've read people being happy with 86db speakers.

I had one hooked up to Polks monitor 5Jrs rated at 90db and it makes a huge difference. It takes twice the power for every 3db to get the same volume. I tested on my main HT speakers that are Infinity SM 115s and they are rated at 100db. I woke the wife up with the baby t amp. Opps.

I highly recomend going for the super t amp. I returned the baby t amp. I acually bought two. One broke in three weeks on it's own, and the other is being modded and on it's last leg. All my fault tho.

I think they are too bass shy myself. I did the cap upgrades on one of them, and it was amazing, but build quality is CRAP on the $29 baby. My board had a burn mark on it from the factory.

I'm getting the super t amp to hold me over while I build a 41hz amp6 kit. The chips are not hype. They are amazing and can put amps costing over a grand to shame, but the $29 t-amp is highly over rated!!!! Many fail early too.

I vote, pass it up. Spend the extra cash on it's big brother and get real quality.

I have a thread going on another forum asking if anyone has had a super t amp fail. So far, no one has responded.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #92 of 107 Old 09-20-2006, 04:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aussiebuddha View Post

I was just thinking in using the non powered speakers.
they're selling them on ebay without the sub or amp, just the speakers.
I'm looking to buy a set of speakers for my t-amp, and klipsch is a brand well know for being relatively good, and have high sensitivity. altho i'm not sure abt these spks in particular.

I wanna buy ANY speaker that works with the t-amp.
as long as
It's 4ohm so i can get more power outta the t-amp
have a sensitivity of > 90db, same reason as bove.
are sized between and including bookshelf to satellite
dont cost a fortune.

recommendations?

Something I didn't really think about, but was informed, reminded about is that if you use 4 ohm speakers, you are driving the amp harder. The reason being, the speakers pull more current, or have a less resistance, and acually draw more power from the amp. This causes the chip to get hotter.

I've read that the ta2024 might have problems with 4ohm speakers, even tho the amp is rated for 4 ohms.

If you want to buy from ebay, I would not discard 8ohm speakers. Just look for a db rating of 90 or higher. Search ebay for Infinity SM. Back before Infinity sold out (started selling crap at Circuit City), they made some heavy duty stuff. I've owned SM series speakers since the late 90s and they still sound perfect and I havn't had a single problem with them. Hit up support on Infinity's web site for specs, but all of the SM line will be plenty loud enough. The Infinity SM series are loud speakers tho. They are sharp and in your face. Perfect for HT, but depending on how you like to listen to your music, they might not be the right choice. Some of the vintage polk audio stuff is great and more of a music speaker IMO. My favorite music speaker that can be bought for some what normal amount of money is Paradigm. They cost more, but they sound GREAT!!! They are probably the best speaker you can buy (prebuilt, off the shelf ready to go brand name) in it's price range.

Go for the super t amp as well.

My post restriction prevent me from posting a link as to why.
post #93 of 107 Old 04-26-2007, 03:25 PM

Just wanted to see if anyone else is enjoying their T-amp as much as I am!

post #94 of 107 Old 04-26-2007, 05:53 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
my modded t-amp is still going strong

i would also have a look at the modded trends ta-10.1 which can be purchased online

http://www.audiomagus.com/

cpu8088 - OLD and SLOW !!!
post #95 of 107 Old 05-10-2007, 07:05 PM

Hello chaps,

I have a t-amp but havent got anything to plug into it yet. Literally nothing!
Im wondering if anyone can tell me what the size of the plug is for the DC in socket?

I appreciate the help.

Nik
post #96 of 107 Old 06-29-2007, 12:22 PM

Hi, does anyone know of casings suitable for this amp?

For example for a 4ch or 6ch version? Maybe something with the regular hifi-size but very slim? I've bought a suitable DC power supply but still looking for a decent casing... thanks
post #97 of 107 Old 06-29-2007, 02:34 PM
EC
AVS Special Member

Hammond makes a ton of different size casiings. I used Hammond cases for both the Sonic T amp and for the power supply. I got pictures in the AVS archives if you want to dig up that thread.

If you want something with a more polished look check out: http://www.diyenclosures.com/

Eric Chong

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #98 of 107 Old 06-30-2007, 07:55 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 30 Post(s)
Liked: 49
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpu8088 View Post

my modded t-amp is still going strong

i would also have a look at the modded trends ta-10.1 which can be purchased online

http://www.audiomagus.com/

I've got a 10.1 happily powering a pair of vintage celestion ditton 44's in my garage with a Zhalou DAC - I'm quite impressed with this little amp. Very nice top-end and and excellent bass control.
post #99 of 107 Old 07-06-2007, 12:16 AM

I use it as a headphone amp... Granted, I have the world's largest headphones...
LL
post #100 of 107 Old 09-20-2007, 11:46 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked: 52
I just ordered a Sonic Impact amp from Parts Express and they have the AC power adaptor on backorder till December.

Reading through this thread, it seems like there are a lot of options/choices people are making for AC power.

Would this adaptor work well?:

http://www.kcnproducts.com/KCN-Produ...ps-12dc-2a.htm

If not, can anyone recommend one that I can buy either at RatShack or online.

Thanks!

Little Loft Home Theater
post #101 of 107 Old 09-20-2007, 05:50 PM
EC
AVS Special Member

yep that should do the job - even looks like it has the right barrel connector.

Eric Chong

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #102 of 107 Old 09-28-2007, 02:28 PM

I was browsing the partsexpress website and found a newer version of the T-AMP. linky here..

http://www.partsexpress.com/pe/showd...number=300-958

Anyone with info/review. Seems like the case is a little more mod friendly so it might be easier for you to put in your own binding posts. Double price from original T-Amp but now you got a power supply. Don't know about if it is has a better quality pot.
post #103 of 107 Old 03-10-2008, 10:29 AM

Hi,
Hoping some of you T-Amp experts can help me out. I have the 5065 Gen2 T-Amp that I am trying to hook up between my Vizio GLV47 and a Yamaha YSP-800 sound bar. The reason I am trying to put the amp in between is that the output from the Vizio is rather weak so I thought I could boost the signal to "normalize" it with the other inputs going to the Yamaha. However all I hear from the T-amp is a rhythmic thumping sound no matter what volume I put the TV and the amp at. I can hear the output from the TV through the headphone port (althought it seems weak), and I can use a different audio source like an MP3 player fine. Is there some incompatibility between the TV output that I don't know about?
Thanks again!
post #104 of 107 Old 03-18-2008, 08:28 PM

I honestly have no idea how you have your amp hooked up inline between the TV and the Yamaha?? The Yamaha unit is self-powered with its own internal amplifiers. How on earth do you have the speaker outputs on the amplifier connected to the inputs on the Yamaha??????

post #105 of 107 Old 03-25-2008, 12:39 PM

Wuzzer,
Hmm yeah well I have analog out via RCA cables from the TV to an RCA to mini-jack adapter input to the T-Amp. Then I got a pair of RCA adapters that I soldered to speaker cable for the left and right channel. I connected the speaker out to the input on the YSP-800. Weird, I know, but the setup worked with an MP3 player. All of my problems most likely stem from my lack of understanding of how audio components work together as I am a bit of a noob at this. Computers I can handle, home theater/audio...

PS-Thanks for replying!
post #106 of 107 Old 03-25-2008, 01:46 PM
AVS Special Member

I heard one last week and it's allright, but not great. As compared to the 3w paramour amps they just didn't have the detail. It was spectacular for the cost and build but overall my receiver does better.
post #107 of 107 Old 07-03-2008, 09:35 AM

I recently bought a SIIG USB sound card to connect my laptop to the T-Amp, but it's not as clear as when I use my iPhone line out.

It's about as crisp as my iPhone headphone output or using the wall-wart instead of my SLA. Voices aren't as well placed, certain instruments seem muffled, acoustic guitars and vocals don't pop like they use to. It's noticably worse than iPhone line out.

Any suggestions on a (cheap) way to fix this? I've read about USB DAC's but was hoping to avoid paying the $80+, but if that's what it takes...
Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page