putting larger hard drive in Yam MusicCAST - Page 2 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

Old 11-27-2006, 01:07 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
No, I have not acquired the software from Yamaha to move music data from the MCX-1000 to the MCX-2000 yet. I will try over the holidays as I am pretty swamped right now. Like you, I am interested in the MCX-2000 for personal use, but have been unable to find one at a decent price. If you find some deals, please contact me ASAP. Thanks and have a great holiday!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-15-2007, 07:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by setter View Post

I've now installed 300, 400 and 500GB models and performed the backup in multiple MusicCast MCX-1000 models without issues. When Seagate comes up with a bigger drive within the Yamaha specification, I'll try it out. Feel free to contact me if you need your system upgraded and the data from your hundreds of CD copied to the new drive. Plus, the old drive makes a great backup...

DonS

Where did you obtain the software for data transfer? Would you share it? What do I need to get started? Thanks.

Rob
Old 01-15-2007, 07:59 AM

I obtained the software from an authorized Yamaha Service Rep. As per their contact, the software is licensed to Yamaha and is not to be sold. With that said, I cannot share the software. Send me a PM if you have further interest.
Old 03-26-2007, 09:00 AM

I am based in the UK and have read this forum with interest.

I too would like to upgrade my hard drive, but I can find very little info. about it here.

I have talked to yamaha UK who point me to a local dealer for both firmware and hard drive upgrade. They (local dealer) has yet to advise me on costs.

My pc cannot read the 80gb seagate drive in the musiccast, so i am aware that i need the yamaha software.

I have found 1 source in the UK, advertising musicast backup cd, part number SWMCB01, but they are unable to advise if this is what i need, or indeed if it's all that I need.

Can anyone advise if this is the software i need to carry out a drive upgrade. I don't care about what's on my existing drive, i am prepared to start again.

Any advice appreciated
Old 03-26-2007, 09:21 AM

Hi Crush,

Upgrading the hard drive is siple with the Yamaha tols, but impossoble in your normal PC. You need to get a copy of the Restore CD from an uathorized Yamaha rep. The Restore program adds the appropiate boot and operating software to get your MusicCAST back to speed. I have noticed that the Restore doesn't contain the full Gracenote CDDB that it come from the factory with, so you either have to manually enter a few more titles or you must connect yours MCX-1000 to the web for access to the mother of all Gracenote CDDBs!

Your second alternative is the Backup program. It mirrors your existing data to a new hard drive and expands the hard drive's capacity. The only drawback is if you have any errors on your existing drive - they'll be copied over to haunt you later. However, I've never seen a drive with errors the MusicCAST can't handle unless the drive is dead.

If you can't find local help, drop me a PM. All you need to do is send me your old hard drive and I'll return you a new functioning one!

Good luck, DonS
Old 03-26-2007, 03:34 PM

thanks for quick reply setter.

I imagine sending my drive to usa & back would be prohibitive cost wise, though thanks very much for offer.

are you familiar with part number for backup software,as indicated in my last post ?

if this is the right one, is the process fairly straight forward or do i need some detailed instructions. (btw i have background in IT).

regards
Old 04-10-2007, 11:00 AM

Quote:

The original 80GB drive can be retained for a backup, but it cannot be used in a different MusicCast it is encoded with the serial number of the MusicCAST server.

Hi Setter,

It has been a while - I got side-tracked a number of months ago and am now focused on doing the upgrade again. But the one thing I could not understand given the above quote was how you could do the upgrade without having the MCX it goes with - ie. if the drive does not work on other MCX-1000s then how can it be upgraded on a different machine? I guess I just do not understand. Any help undertsanding what I might be getting into is appreciated.

Thanks,

George
Old 04-10-2007, 12:34 PM

The Yamaha HDD Backup software copies the serial number data during the backup on my service jig. It works without flaws everytime!

I now have the software for the MCX-2000. These updates can only be performed in the MCX-2000. I may try to make a backup jig for the MCX-2000, but I can't justify the costs.

Feel free to send me a PM if you need help with the HDD upgrade and backup or have general questions about the MusicCAST products.
Old 04-10-2007, 02:50 PM

Quote:

The Yamaha HDD Backup software copies the serial number data during the backup on my service jig. It works without flaws everytime!

I'm sorry, I am not the most technically inclined - service jig? I thought you used a different MCX-1000 to do the back-up, which I guess was the source of my confusion.

Though now that you have the MCX-2000 software I may look for a deal on a used MCX-2000 and transfer the data. Will you be able to do that?
Old 04-11-2007, 06:25 AM

I am happy to help with a HDD Backup\\Upgrade for either MCX-1000 or MCX-2000.
Old 04-13-2007, 03:20 PM

Does anyone know how to transfer music from a MCX-1000 to a MCX-2000? I'm never going to updgrade if I can't.
Old 04-14-2007, 08:38 AM

The Yamaha tools I have can transfer music data from an MCX-1000 to an MCX-2000 thru a network switching hub. The songs are moved, meaning they do not remain usable on the old MCX-1000 (I'd make a copy of the drive before the move if you want to keep the songs on both drives). The transfer deletes any existing music from the MCX-2000. Any music Recorded songs in the External Input area of the MCX-1000 need to be moved to the Library as the datamove only moves music in the Library. The move on an 80GB drive takes 24 hours! Drop me a PM if you want to give it a whirl! DonS
Old 04-20-2007, 02:03 PM

^^^How does it works out. I send you both my MCX-1000 (300GB)and MCX-2000 + a new 750Gb HD, and you do the transfer? or i only send you both HD's. Are you saying that transfering 300GB worth of music will take almost 4 days???
Old 04-24-2007, 10:20 PM

Hi there

I just purchased from a friend a Yamaha MCX-1000 with he upgraded and which was working pefectly. he shipped it to me.. I switched it on.. no matter what I do.. I does not recognize any CD. I keep getting "no disc present"

Help!! Help!!

Thanks in advance!
Old 06-08-2007, 11:06 PM

Further to my post in March, I had a drive fitted by a local dealer as we negotiated a reasonable price and he let me keep the upgrade CD
However, he told me that Yamaha UK cite issues with Seagate Barracuda 7200.10 drives and he recommended I installed a Western Digital or Hitachi instead. In the past I have had lots of problems with Hitachi drives, so I had a WD installed. Its only 320Gb but should do for the time being.

I am now looking for fw update 4.1 or above. Yamaha UK will not supply update to end users, only to dealers, and I don't want to take the unit back again. It seems the US site will supply the disc, but to US residents only. I understand the files are only about 6mb, does anyone know where there is an active link or have the update which they could email to me? I have found a version to download on the yamaha japan site, but it is old.

Regards
Old 06-09-2007, 07:34 AM

The v4.1 Update is 20MB unzipped, but 4.4MB zipped. I can e-mail it, drop it on an FTP site of your choice, or even mail it. PM me your e-mail address for starters. Were you able to download the updated manuals? I can send it as well.

If you know of anyone who needs an MCX-1000 or an MCX-2000, I have both upgraded with 500GB HDDs. The MCX-1000 is currently on eBay. The -2000 will be on eBay early next week.

DonS
Old 06-13-2007, 08:59 AM

Thanks for the files setter, did you get my reply email?
I 'updated' the firmware twice, both times apparently successfully, but firmware version hasn't changed.
Unzipped , the files you provided are 10.2 Mb and appear to be version 2.0.34, the same as on the Japanese site.
Did you send the wrong file, or have I missed something ?

Regards
Old 06-13-2007, 09:16 AM

I sent you the wrong zip file. The correct file is about 6.3MB and will be immediately sent. Sorry!
Old 06-13-2007, 09:56 AM

Fantastic !

Got it. updated the server.

Really appreciate your help.
Old 07-23-2007, 05:50 PM

Hey. I found a users group where all the Musiccast software for both MCX-1000 and MCX-2000 is located.
Old 07-23-2007, 05:51 PM

How lame. They won't let me put the link up until I make 5 posts
Old 07-23-2007, 05:51 PM

Bump
Old 07-23-2007, 05:53 PM

Jack Bauer and Chloe O'Brien for Prez/VP in 2008!
Old 07-23-2007, 05:53 PM

Old 09-11-2007, 12:35 PM

Is anyone aware of plans by Yamaha to release an updated version of the MusicCAST audio server (i.e. MusicCAST 3000?) ?
Old 10-06-2007, 12:29 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Quote:

I am happy to help with a HDD Backup\\Upgrade for either MCX-1000 or MCX-2000.

Regarding the MusicCAST MCX-2000 with the latest firmware/software update:

- Is it still limited to only vTuner internet radio stations?

- When using internet radio function, does it display artist, song, bit rate, format?

Thanks
Old 10-08-2007, 10:48 AM

I am not very familiar with the internet radio features of the MCX-2000. However, I prodded the radio feature a little. The MCX-2000 displays 988 internet radios stations for the US alone! It does not display the artist and title, but does display the format and bit rate. Feel free to contact me via PM. Maybe we can chat live and I can better help you.
Old 10-08-2007, 03:25 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Quote:

I am not very familiar with the internet radio features of the MCX-2000. However, I prodded the radio feature a little. The MCX-2000 displays 988 internet radios stations for the US alone! It does not display the artist and title, but does display the format and bit rate. Feel free to contact me via PM. Maybe we can chat live and I can better help you.

Thanks setter. The format & bitrate is good to know to avoid lower bitrate stations. But if the MCX is limited to only vTuner stations then I don't need it. I already get the Yamaha vTuner stations through my Yamaha AVR (which is why I suspect the MCX may also be limited to vTuner stations). But my AVR does not show bitrate or format.

I'll poke around online and see if I can find out for sure.
Old 10-15-2007, 07:36 PM

Setter,

Found this thread while drilling down to find the latest on new gear to update my old sony es jukeboxes. Collection size about 1200 cd's. My question on Yamaha's Music cast is, how much does it cost to upgrade the 2000 hard drive to 750gb?

Are there competing products with similar price ranges to the Yamaha? I'm just looking for something to play my whole collection on shuffle. A stand alone product that basically has nothing to due with my computers.

Thanks in advance for any suggestions.
Old 10-15-2007, 08:02 PM

Sadly you won't get 1200 CD in full PCM format on a 750GB. You might be able to squeek them onto a 1TB if there was a PATA model available. All 1200 will easily fit in MP3 format even on the lowest compression. You could mix them if you can hear the difference audio system or want the ability to burn your own CDs from the PCM stored CDs.

Drop me a PM if you'd like a quote for a backup or upgrade - I'm actually fast and cheap. Either you provide the hard drive or I can. Plus, I've never "bricked" a MusicCAST by flubbing a backup such that the unit is unusable, although I have revived a couple of them for clients.