putting larger hard drive in Yam MusicCAST - Page 6 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews

Forum Jump: 

post #151 of 156 Old 01-04-2014, 02:27 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I've managed to use a Cooldrives SATA > IDE adapter to back up (or duplicate) my MCX-2000's original 160GB HDD to a 1.5TB Samsung HDD (via CD-ROM connection using Yamaha's instructions and backup utility disc). The 160GB HDD was 95% full, so the backup took several hours (8?) but was successful. However, the HDD is not recognized when installed in the unit (Error code @2001). I wonder why the adapter works with the CD-ROM IDE cable but not with the HDD IDE one? "Setter" said the SATA / IDE adapters have to be bi-directional, and he had to go through at least 40 before he found one that worked--but he does not have any left to sell nor can he recommend one.

Can anyone recommend (or sell a spare) SATA / IDE adapters that work in their MCX-2000? Please PM if you can help. Thanks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #152 of 156 Old 01-04-2014, 07:17 AM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Yep, I still have a box of around 40 adapters that didn't work. I found one that worked and bought 50. I bought another 20 about a year ago but they have been revised and no longer work. I'm nearly out and I need my remaining stock to do upgrades and keep a coupe for repairs.

Search for adapters that are bi-directional as they seem to have the least errors.
post #153 of 156 Old 01-05-2014, 08:00 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I gave up on having my MCX-2000 upgraded to 2tb by a professional.
I bought unit brand new unopened box and bought new 2tb
Unit would stop working every time i turned around.
Resold unit on Ebay for $450
And bought a new Olive 05hd for $3000
More money but its lightyears ahead of old Yamahas
You can only buy direct from Olive
post #154 of 156 Old 10-21-2014, 07:48 AM

For everyone out there that has lots of CDs stored on their Yamaha MucisCAST MCX-1000 or MCX-2000 - MAKE A BACKUP!

Many of these systems have hard drives that are getting old. When the drive fails, you'll be installing your CDs again. Or, clone the hard drive. I use my Aleratec HDD PortaCruiser to clone hard drives from proprietary OS systems like TiVo and Yamaha MCX-2000 as well as Mac and Windows platforms. They all work perfectly - the hard drives are identical and interchangable. These cloning machines don't care what is on the hard drive, they just copy each bit of data from one drive to another making an exact copy. The partition remains the same regardless of hard drive size. There are tools to fiddle with repairing data and changing partitions, but I never mess with them. This tool, and ones like it, make a clone of the MusicCAST hard drive overnight.

Never, never access your MusicCAST hard drive with any OS as it will render it useless!
post #155 of 156 Old 05-03-2015, 03:16 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by setter View Post
For everyone out there that has lots of CDs stored on their Yamaha MucisCAST MCX-1000 or MCX-2000 - MAKE A BACKUP!

Many of these systems have hard drives that are getting old. When the drive fails, you'll be installing your CDs again. Or, clone the hard drive. I use my Aleratec HDD PortaCruiser to clone hard drives from proprietary OS systems like TiVo and Yamaha MCX-2000 as well as Mac and Windows platforms. They all work perfectly - the hard drives are identical and interchangable. These cloning machines don't care what is on the hard drive, they just copy each bit of data from one drive to another making an exact copy. The partition remains the same regardless of hard drive size. There are tools to fiddle with repairing data and changing partitions, but I never mess with them. This tool, and ones like it, make a clone of the MusicCAST hard drive overnight.

Never, never access your MusicCAST hard drive with any OS as it will render it useless!
Hi all, particularly setter! Heeding your warning regarding HDD failure...tried to back up to a larger HDD. I tried another adapter. All went well, I can install and playback audio files once the HDD is installed in my MCX-2000. But I can't "store from CD."
post #156 of 156 Old 05-04-2015, 06:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by james10s View Post
Hi all, particularly setter! Heeding your warning regarding HDD failure...tried to back up to a larger HDD. I tried another adapter. All went well, I can install and playback audio files once the HDD is installed in my MCX-2000. But I can't "store from CD."
Try redoing the clone and maybe try using a more similar hard drive size to see if the "store from a CD" works. Maybe the cloning machine is messing with something? This is usually easy.

What is really odd is that I have the same problem with an MCX-1000 from completely different circumstances. I chased the problem to the motherboard!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors